2013/05/20 - And The Sentence Was Going To Be Déjà Vu

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Argent

Re: 2013/05/20 - And The Sentence Was Going To Be Déjà Vu

Post by Argent »

Silly Zealot wrote:
Argent wrote:It's a good thing he's not there, he wouldn't want a BEAK punch from Bailey.
Squirreltsunes don't have beaks. What are you talking about?
I'm talking about Pete.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
xhunterko

Post by xhunterko »

Bad Rick! Bad! He's not supposed to show up until AFTER the wedding!
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

xhunterko wrote:Bad Rick! Bad! He's not supposed to show up until AFTER the wedding!
No, he's supposed to show up at the line 'if there is anyone here present who objects...'
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
xhunterko

Post by xhunterko »

Ohhhhh, right, right. I was thinking of that as well with him showing up as his human form.
MiloxLuna

Post by MiloxLuna »

GeckoZY wrote:
CheckMate wrote:No he is not dreaming about being a dog are the wedding he is dreaming that pete is going to show up.
No, every single arc from the point that king was turned into a dog was a dream. Pete is there to snap him back from his really long dream. BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

i hope that's not it. even though it would get ride of allot of awkward moment :/
TheOne
Location: Trapped in the center of the Galaxy. Need a starship to get out!

Post by TheOne »

Wow. 9:00 and there's already three pages of comments. Cool...
I need the "next" button to work! XD
Also, from what's happened so far, I'm guessing Pete isn't supposed to be as evil as many people seem to think. First, remember that it's difficult to write sarcastic humor. Second, look at Pete's smile. I don't see a hint of anger or malice. The look on Pete's face reminds me of that look of happy pride a parent gets when his child does something great. I'm of the opinion that what Pete said in panel 2 was supposed to sound like teasing humor. You know, the kind of humor you use when you tell a gullible person to go get some elbow grease...
Lastly, in reference to the heavenly trial arc, a lot of people might've missed the "10,000 years have passed in a single second" plot point. As soon as the judge slammed the gavel, Pete went somewhere and served his sentence... his incredibly long sentence... Then, once he finished serving his time, Pete went back in time to the 2nd second after the gavel hit, and said "that's why I like subjective time."
Now let's take a moment to understand this. In one second, Pete becomes 10,000 years older...and wiser. He also now knows (if the prison library allows him to study it) the results of his and Dragon's actions within the game (I just lost) for that same period. And depending on which theory of time travel you subscribe to, Pete learned many possible outcomes, or a single outcome which he can now change. All this packed in a single second...
So when Pete "laughed maniacally" at Dragon's question, was it because it was more of a "you simpleton, you have no idea" laugh?
Dag nabbed petty annoyances...
Argent

Post by Argent »

I got the impression Pete's sentence happened "sideways in time" in some sense, out of contact with the normal space time continuum. Knowing what happened in the future would violate game rule 919-007-HVW regarding "weird time junk".

And Pete's smile is, allowing for two and a half years difference in drawing styles, not that dissimilar to the one in this.
DingoVolf
Location: It was unwise to wake the 3-eyed cat, but we did it anyways, and now look at us. Whatever you do,

Post by DingoVolf »

OOooh, ohh, I've been waiting for this!
Very looking forward to what happens!
TheOne

Post by TheOne »

Argent wrote:I got the impression Pete's sentence happened "sideways in time" in some sense, out of contact with the normal space time continuum. Knowing what happened in the future would violate game rule 919-007-HVW regarding "weird time junk".

And Pete's smile is, allowing for two and a half years difference in drawing styles, not that dissimilar to the one in this.
Are you saying Pete isn't a rule-breaker? Also, paradox theories aside, Pete could have transformed Joel after the sentence, then briefed the younger version of himself on what he did, why, and what was going to happen. We've seen that in Doctor Who... the "briefing himself" bit. Remember Pandorica's box?

I'm not saying this is what Pete did, but the smile in the strip you linked to could be foreknowledge of what's going to happen.

I love temporal mechanics... :D
Argent

Post by Argent »

TheOne wrote:Are you saying Pete isn't a rule-breaker?
Yeh, but breaking this rule would lose the game. And he knows King knows it.
Also, paradox theories aside, Pete could have transformed Joel after the sentence, then briefed the younger version of himself on what he did, why, and what was going to happen.
That's equivalent to "the last two and a half years of HP! is a dream". The "Dallas Effect".
Hukley
Banner Artist

Post by Hukley »

Pete, don't make King sad...
(... because nobody can stand the look of a sad corgi) ;)
Awesome Avatar-Animation by GeckoZY! :D
Simon & Freddy has its own Webpage now: http://www.simonandfreddy.com/
My webcomic: (Updates on Saturdays)
ImageImage
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Hukley wrote:Pete, don't make King sad...
Why would he want to? If Pete's playing for equality between Humans and Animals, this wedding may put him one step closer to the win line.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
TheOne

Post by TheOne »

Argent wrote:
TheOne wrote:Are you saying Pete isn't a rule-breaker?
Yeh, but breaking this rule would lose the game. And he knows King knows it.
Also, paradox theories aside, Pete could have transformed Joel after the sentence, then briefed the younger version of himself on what he did, why, and what was going to happen.
That's equivalent to "the last two and a half years of HP! is a dream". The "Dallas Effect".
I've never seen an episode of "Dallas" so I'm not sure what that means. I'm guessing there was a large amount of plot that was 'erased' because "it was all a dream"? If so, that's not equivalent to what I'm saying. I'm talking about what is called a "loop" in time-travel-mechanics. It's where something happens because it has happened before during the process of a time-travel plot. For instance, if you walk to your door and an older version of yourself hands you a letter, the reason your older self handed you the letter is because you saw your older self hand you the letter. In order to avoid a paradox, you have to go back in time and deliver the letter to your younger self. That's a loop. In the situation I described, Pete got into trouble because the older version of himself transformed Joel into King. After transforming Joel into King, the older version of Pete told the younger version of Pete the whys and hows and what-to-says. Then after briefing himself, the older version of Pete jumps to the 2nd second afore mentioned and delivers the "why I like subjective time" line. (See what I did there?) He created a loop. Pete changed Joel into King because he did it before.
If any of you don't understand this, watch the Doctor Who episodes on Pandorica's Box.
Argent

Post by Argent »

TheOne wrote:I've never seen an episode of "Dallas" so I'm not sure what that means. I'm guessing there was a large amount of plot that was 'erased' because "it was all a dream"?
A whole season.
If so, that's not equivalent to what I'm saying. I'm talking about what is called a "loop" in time-travel-mechanics.
It doesn't matter whether it was only a dream, or if it was erased because of a time loop, the result is the same... for the audience it's a huge cop-out because they're invested in a story line that "didn't happen".

If you're writing a time travel story from the get go, then that's different, but there's a limit to the number of times you can retell The End of Eternity.

PS: I'm not going to waste time on Dr Who, I've probably read every book they're cribbing from already.

PPS: JON PERTWEE WAS THE BEST DOCTOR.
bug1

Post by bug1 »

IceKitsune wrote:
Gbr23 wrote:
valerio wrote:King, now it's up to you and no one else.
Please, do the right choice.
First we need to know, which are the options
IceKitsune wrote:I'm gonna call this now, King is going to have to decide between going through with the wedding and agreeing to be Pete's Avatar (thereby finally becoming a full Dog). Or not being Pete's Avatar and not marrying Bailey.
Its likely just these two that I said above. There could be a third way but I can't figure out one without it dragging out the Cosmic stuff even longer, which considering the survey and Rick saying on Twitter that he figured out the last little bit of the Cosmic arc a bit ago, I don't think that is going to happen.

WHAT?!? Rick is ending the Cosmic arc? :evil:
Why Rick, why? All of this crazy confusing cosmic stuff is what I love about the house pets besides the hilariousness inbetween.

:ugeek: Here's an equation for you

infinity*housepets=awesomeness^2

and yes... I'm open to what-ever comments, from who-ever doubts this. :roll:
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Argent wrote:PPS: JON PERTWEE WAS THE BEST DOCTOR.
He was true class, indeed and his twelve minute chase sequence in 'Planet of the Spiders' is still the longest ever made for TV. But the best of all the classics (and one of the best of all time) has to be Peter Davison's swansong 'The Caves of Androzani' though. (Here's the cliffhanger for episode 3 (he's poisoned, abducted and trying to get back to the planet where he can get the antidote for himself and Peri) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUhk2QewuMM)

We probably need to get back to planet Housepet now though.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Karl

Post by Karl »

Yaaay! King's party is going to be crashed! =D
I'm a bookworm!
valerio

Post by valerio »

xhunterko wrote:Bad Rick! Bad! He's not supposed to show up until AFTER the wedding!
Well, the timing is perfect and this arc also serves to mark the end of year FIVE of HP, a milestone in itself.
It would be a waste of a good character and good plots if this arc ended with Joel being back or the marriage ruined, etc. Worst I can see happening is King accepting to be an avatar in exchange for staying a dog with a whole new life ahead of him.
...and let's not forget of course the promise of Great Kitsune, who has granted a boon for King...
TheOne

Post by TheOne »

Argent wrote: It doesn't matter whether it was only a dream, or if it was erased because of a time loop, the result is the same... for the audience it's a huge cop-out because they're invested in a story line that "didn't happen".

If you're writing a time travel story from the get go, then that's different, but there's a limit to the number of times you can retell The End of Eternity.
I whole-heartedly agree with you there. I'm not sure where you got the idea, but I never intended to say anything was being erased. All I was trying to do was explain how Pete's smile could be so similar then and now. The first time we saw it was the result of his foreknowledge about what JoeKing would do. The (bigger) smile we see now comes from the pride in what King is doing. That's my theory anyway.
Gaboris

Post by Gaboris »

Oh for the LOVE OF ... Are you KIDDING ME?!?!?! SERIOUSLY I was JUST about to accept the whole "staying a dog" thing and now THIS... :evil:
Sorry I just had to say that and it actually made me come to the forums to do so. That's a big word ya know. :roll:

Okay just to make it clear, I don' have any probs with Rick's writing, I love his stories and arcs, but the tools themselves I always need to endure are my death in every single story I ever see. :?

Anyways I can't wait to see how this ends, but THIS part always hurts my head.
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

I think you guys are worked up over nothing.
TheOne

Post by TheOne »

Worked up? Me? Nah, I'm just enjoying a good debate.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Pete seemed to think it pretty amusing when it was Spirit Dragon and Peanut:

valerio

Post by valerio »

Foxstar wrote:I think you guys are worked up over nothing.
Half the fun is just that, 'Star. And it's even funnier knowing that, despise ALL speculations that could appear in this thread, Rick will come up with the solution that will surprise everyone. As usual.
Foxstar

Post by Foxstar »

Argent wrote:Pete seemed to think it pretty amusing when it was Spirit Dragon and Peanut
Because Dragon is Dragon and not a mortal animal?
Argent

Post by Argent »

Foxstar wrote:
Argent wrote:Pete seemed to think it pretty amusing when it was Spirit Dragon and Peanut
If a human and a dog is "creepy", why is a pseudo-deity and a dog "funny"?
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

1) If Pete's goal is equality between humans and animals, then how is disrupting King's wedding any benefit to him?

2) Wouldn't Pete ruining his wedding violate "intrinsic benevolance"? Pete doesn't want to annoy GK again.
Foxstar

Post by Foxstar »

Argent wrote:
Foxstar wrote:
If a human and a dog is "creepy", why is a pseudo-deity and a dog "funny"?
Countless reasons. For one Dragon will not only outlive Peanut in a blink of a eye, but deities are not supposed to be 'into' mortals like that. From talks with the furret, deity relationships are not the same as mortal ones.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Kitch wrote:1) If Pete's goal is equality between humans and animals, then how is disrupting King's wedding any benefit to him?
Pete's goal is having his Avatar beat SD's Avatar. Equality between humans and animals is a strategy for gaining followers to achieve that goal.
Kitch wrote:2) Wouldn't Pete ruining his wedding violate "intrinsic benevolance"? Pete doesn't want to annoy GK again.
It could be benevolent. he could be warning him that if he marries Bailey he'll be stuck as a dog forever. But being Pete he has to be all creepy and melodramatic about it.
Marco

Post by Marco »

Yup I knew he would show up sooner or later and makes things even more complicated! Bad feeling that King will kiss Bailey and *Poof* back to being human again in front of everyone! Pete may just win the game!!! o.o
TheOne

Post by TheOne »

Can we place bets here? If so, I'd like to start one: will Pete change Joel/King back into a human, or not. I'll open with one "standard book of fate" that Pete *won't* change him back. I'll also rule that details are *not* necessary to win the pot, but if you guess correctly you are entitled to "bone-us" points, which can be determined later.
Foxstar

Post by Foxstar »

Bets would better go in the Wild Mass Guessing thread, I would think.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I think that Pete might ether:
1). Try to trick king into thinking that the past 2 years were a dream but king figures it out. Pete will have underestimated king because he's a mortal then has a http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... sBreakdown and does something that makes him forfeit the game and the other cosmics undo. Kings secret is then uncovered but bailey and fox forgive him (with it being revealed that fox knew for a LONG time)
2). Just say something's that make king creep out and push king towards becoming his avatar and then leave.

At least that's what I WANT to happen particularly the first one.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

There's alot of setup that Pete is going to do something horrible. If the situation is truly deja vu, then Pete will transform King back to normal on Wednesday, but with a huge twist.

I'm taking a gander here that Pete is going to try to confess to Fox and Bailey about the truth behind King, but throw in something different to give King some slack. Ex: King is Joel's pet.

If i'm wrong, then Rick can collect my brain for the month. Because it will be out of ideas for that month =P
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
PhoenixAsper

Post by PhoenixAsper »

<addresses Pete> You... you started this, and I have a feeling that you will finish, or be finished, with this.

I've been waiting a long time for this. :shock: :o :D :? :) :( :shock:
Cashuea

Post by Cashuea »

I knew this would happen. Pete will destroy it ALL. :( Why now of all days really, why can't the bird go away and pick some other poor sucker?

I really hope Rick doesn't destroy the wedding arc like this and 'kill-off' king. I would be very sad.
Felixthestoat

Post by Felixthestoat »

This kind of sucks. I might actually stop reading the comic if King gets turned back into a human, which I have a feeling will happen. ARGH.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Felixthestoat wrote:This kind of sucks. I might actually stop reading the comic if King gets turned back into a human, which I have a feeling will happen. ARGH.
Rick has repeatedly said that Pete needs King to beat Tarot, its his only chance. Pete turning King back into a human for any significant length of time, other then to get him to agree to be his Avatar, would be stupid on Petes part because it would just screw him over. Also turning him back would break Kitsunes ruling of not being able to directly mess with King anyway IIRC.
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

The third panel is probably the happiest I have ever seen Pete...

I think Pete will do a whole "It's A Wonderful Life" thing to King to show him what it would be like for King if he stays a dog and marries Bailey, or if King lets Pete change him back. Probably make the scenario something like if he stays a dog, then Fox and Bailey find out about his past, he loses his memories, and something else. If he becomes human, he changes back as he is released and he builds a new life, with a King the dog becoming his new pet thanks to the Milton ferrets. Something like that

I doubt Pete has anything truly malevolent planned. Probably mostly teasing him. And the Game was probably put on hold while Pete was imprisoned, just as it is now, since Pete needs an avatar still to be on the board.
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

Felixthestoat wrote: ... I might actually stop reading the comic if King gets turned back into a human ...
I dont think Pete has the permission to make King human again cause as said here :
Great Kitsune wrote: ... You´re forbidden from doing anything more to King ...
and I think that includes turning him back to human
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!