2013/05/22 - Tactical Retreat

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Mickey the Luxray
Location: Why-Cant-We-Be-Given-Some-Consarned-Snow-Ville, USA

Re: 2013/05/22 - Tactical Retreat

Post by Mickey the Luxray »

I wonder if Pete likes the DirecTV help channel. C:

Anyway.

Pete stated during the trial that the class that Pete chose for King was fueled by contempt for his master... if King were to remember that it was Pete who gave him this life that he now desperately clings onto, would he lose most of his contempt towards Pete, therefore ruining his plans? That may just be how it turns around here. Pete would get angry and give up, which would activate the aforementioned boon, which MAY lead to King getting his choice.
If you want my number, it's #804080.
MiloxLuna

Post by MiloxLuna »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:Thank you very much. It's always good to be appreciated. Now... Join in the madness?
don't worry, it only gets better with the next update :3
/OMG/
we are all mad here xD
Rothkal

Post by Rothkal »

So I recently joined the forums, so I don't know if this was confirmed somewhere else that king will be Pete's avatar. If I recall correctly, to have an avatar as a dream-sunderer, something tragic must happen. Looking back, Bailey has been given up by her parents and was getting worked up by King. She finally snapped when she punched Bino and we saw how upset she really was. At the party when King proposed to Bailey, she looked like she was just waiting for something bad to happen right away to rip it away. When nothing happened, she was truly happy, maybe something that hasn't happened since her parents gave her up. She will finally have a chance at being happy again with King.

Now, looking at the last few updates, after all this prep, on her wedding day, someone who is known by the community to be an evil man pops up at the wedding. King is no where to be found. This evil human is arrested on suspicion of kidnapping King. Bailey, who would have some happiness back in her life, is destroyed as no matter what the police do, no matter where they search, King is gone.

At her lowest, a celestial being appears and offers to help her, in exchange for her service.

Pete has an avatar.
Argent

Post by Argent »

King would absolutely agree to be Pete's avatar to keep Bailey from having to take up that burden.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Aticston

Post by Aticston »

Haw!

Can I call it, or can I call it?

EDIT - You should be further ahead of your fans if your fans can predict Pete will show up at the wedding and THEN want to turn King back to being human, and if he does or doesn't reject bailey. I'm not trying to be rude, but Pete is supposed to be some "Higher order being" but he acts incredibly predictable.

Maybe I'm spoiled by Q who thinks commonly outside the box, his actions may seem odd now, but they pan out years and years and years later as a huge massive grand scheme. Pete just seems like, Q's son, playing games with reality.
Argent

Post by Argent »

That's it. The cosmic nerds are the pets of the Q continuum.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Aticston wrote:Haw!

EDIT - You should be further ahead of your fans if your fans can predict Pete will show up at the wedding and THEN want to turn King back to being human, and if he does or doesn't reject bailey. I'm not trying to be rude, but Pete is supposed to be some "Higher order being" but he acts incredibly predictable.

Maybe I'm spoiled by Q who thinks commonly outside the box, his actions may seem odd now, but they pan out years and years and years later as a huge massive grand scheme. Pete just seems like, Q's son, playing games with reality.
I think a lot of people still are kind of over thinking the Cosmic Nerds a bit. They are exactly what they seem to be, two nerds who got into a argument over a game of what is basically D&D and decided to settle it with another game of D&D which will end in fight of some kind. Pete and Dragon are just two nerds who have taken a game of D&D far more seriously then it ever needed to be taken. They aren't really all that smart; because as I have pointed out in this topic earlier, even Petes plan here is actually really kind of stupid, and if King wasn't likely to panic it should blow up in his face massively, when given a minute to think about it.
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

Aticston wrote:Haw!

Can you be any more condescending while your at it? That kind of thing really makes you welcome around here you know and will for sure endear you to everyone, staff included.
MiloxLuna

Post by MiloxLuna »

Themeister1 wrote:Rhymes with surrender..... Hmmmmm......... I got nuthin'. :?

i got first offender, that rhymes, and i guess it could work :|
could it?

first of·fend·er
Noun
A person who is convicted of a criminal offense for the first time.

since he was going to convicted, guess it could.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

I pretty sure Pete is being facetious here.
Surrender rhymes with surrender and is the word he's going for. ;)
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Obbl wrote:Surrender rhymes with surrender and is the word he's going for. ;)
to quote a Gregory Brothers song they just posted last night: "does mouth rhyme with mouth? no. they're the same word."
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Obbl wrote:I pretty sure Pete is being facetious here.
Speaking for myself I'd never rhyme a word with itself. But I'm not a D&D playing cosmic geek with Godly powers. I figure he can do it if he likes.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Argent

Post by Argent »

A great gryphon's pride is quite tender
When he's blocked by a mangy offender
But a dog's wedding ring
Proves to be just the thing
To seize victory 'guised as surrender
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:
Speaking for myself I'd never rhyme a word with itself. But I'm not a D&D playing cosmic geek with Godly powers. I figure he can do it if he likes.
Neither would I, but that's part of the joke. :lol:
(technically it rhymes, but aesthetically it is bad form)
Crystalwind

Post by Crystalwind »

Hmm... It just occurred to me that I think there are three or two other players we haven't seen yet (not certain of the exact number, but the other players were mentioned in the heaven trial), which makes me think that the story arc isn't anywhere near finished yet, like some people seem to think it is. I'm fairly certain that we're going to meet them before this whole thing is finished. Admittedly, it's a duel, so they're probably not going to be actively participating, but I think they're going to show up before this whole thing ends.
Welsh Halfwit wrote:
Remember: It's not D&D. It's U&U as far as the metaphor goes, and the actual game isn't like D&D at all.
Who wouldn't attempt to acquire the thiiiiing?
legendario13

Post by legendario13 »

I hate how Pete is always... horsing around 8-)

Now seriously...probably just doing it to mess with Dragon.
A moment of enlightenment...aaaaand it's gone
Ninkurou

I see Pete as an Knight Templar and Dragon as Good

Post by Ninkurou »

In my opnion, yes, Pete and the dragon are nerds, but they are not playing this game just for a game.
Or just to see which one will lose their powers...

The destiny of our world is being played in this game as well...
What will happen to everyone is being decided!
That's because they both want to make humans and animals equals...

But Pete is about, mind control, turning persons into dogs against their will and torturing him, stealing from the Heaven, tricking peanut butter using his dreans... (Yes, I know that he spend a lot of years lost in the desert, the same desert that he choose to obtain a big advantage, (Not a quite smart move) but still at least I wouldn't choose this path, he is in my eyes a Knight Templar (End the evil, no matter how))

And at least in my eyes the dragon seens to give to her avatar freedom, she used her powers to help the pets had fun to protect then, she even helped that ghost... And she put herself in risk to send an evil snow spirit away... (She doenst need to be nice to anybody else to win the game, but she is very nice, thats because I belive that she has a Kind Hearth)

So the Dragon is right in telling that Pete's plan to make humans and animals equals would cause a catastrophe.
Maybe his plan, if he win, is to turn everyone into animals or to force love with mind control, ending free will...

Thats also a motive that I think that King will not want to be his avatar, (He really dont like Pete, since he is the target of most of his attacks)

What do you think?
Argent

Post by Argent »

legendario13 wrote:I hate how Pete is always... horsing around 8-)
He's a gryphon, not a hippogryph.
IceKitsune

Re: I see Pete as an Knight Templar and Dragon as Good

Post by IceKitsune »

Ninkurou wrote:In my opnion, yes, Pete and the dragon are nerds, but they are not playing this game just for a game.
Or just to see which one will lose their powers...

The destiny of our world is being played in this game as well...
What will happen to everyone is being decided!
That's because they both want to make humans and animals equals...

But Pete is about, mind control, turning persons into dogs against their will and torturing him, stealing from the Heaven, tricking peanut butter using his dreans... (Yes, I know that he spend a lot of years lost in the desert, the same desert that he choose to obtain a big advantage, (Not a quite smart move) but still at least I wouldn't choose this path, he is in my eyes a Knight Templar (End the evil, no matter how))

And at least in my eyes the dragon seens to give to her avatar freedom, she used her powers to help the pets had fun to protect then, she even helped that ghost... And she put herself in risk to send an evil snow spirit away... (She doenst need to be nice to anybody else to win the game, but she is very nice, thats because I belive that she has a Kind Hearth)

So the Dragon is right in telling that Pete's plan to make humans and animals equals would cause a catastrophe.
Maybe his plan, if he win, is to turn everyone into animals or to force love with mind control, ending free will...

Thats also a motive that I think that King will not want to be his avatar, (He really dont like Pete, since he is the target of most of his attacks)

What do you think?
Pete never really cared about making Humans and Animals equals, their game was not about that. He just said he would do that to get Mr. Milton to move the temple somewhere else. Also since he is now working with Keene hes not forcing it anymore anyway so that doesn't even matter. The reason they are playing this game is because Pete and Dragon got into a fight in another U&U game they are playing in another universe. They are playing this one to see which one gets to run that first U&U game, nothing more.
CR4CK3RW0LF

Post by CR4CK3RW0LF »

i keep clicking the next button and nothings happening. D:

too bad the wolf party had to be cut short :/
"its not toilet water.. Its most definately root beer, i swear officer! D:"
Gren

Post by Gren »

IceKitsune wrote: Pete never really cared about making Humans and Animals equals, their game was not about that. He just said he would do that to get Mr. Milton to move the temple somewhere else. Also since he is now working with Keene hes not forcing it anymore anyway so that doesn't even matter. The reason they are playing this game is because Pete and Dragon got into a fight in another U&U game they are playing in another universe. They are playing this one to see which one gets to run that first U&U game, nothing more.
You forgot this.
People, stop thinking this too much. Stop believing they are some kind of mystic guardians, because they're playing with mortals as humans do with ants. They decide over the future of the world and every living being by their own whims. They play with their form and their fate as they want. However, at least they are not monster and care about them. They want to give them a happy life, no matter if they have to make them suffer first (yeah, a bit Machiavellian). So there's no need to worry now because they always get their happy ending. Rick just put a bit of drama in the story (once in millenniums), but that's not gonna change the results.
ImageImage
Liam

Post by Liam »

All I'm hoping for is that the open questions will be answered and the respective threads resolved in such a manner that you can summarize this particular subplot on an A4 sheet of paper.

At the moment it's like trying to wrap your head around the MGS series' plot before IV came out. I don't like that in my character-driven comics.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Gren wrote:
IceKitsune wrote: Pete never really cared about making Humans and Animals equals, their game was not about that. He just said he would do that to get Mr. Milton to move the temple somewhere else. Also since he is now working with Keene hes not forcing it anymore anyway so that doesn't even matter. The reason they are playing this game is because Pete and Dragon got into a fight in another U&U game they are playing in another universe. They are playing this one to see which one gets to run that first U&U game, nothing more.
You forgot this.
People, stop thinking this too much. Stop believing they are some kind of mystic guardians, because they're playing with mortals as humans do with ants. They decide over the future of the world and every living being by their own whims. They play with their form and their fate as they want. However, at least they are not monster and care about them. They want to give them a happy life, no matter if they have to make them suffer first (yeah, a bit Machiavellian). So there's no need to worry now because they always get their happy ending. Rick just put a bit of drama in the story (once in millenniums), but that's not gonna change the results.
I didn't forget that (again the end of that Arc made the whole Pete forcing equality thing irrelevant anyway) but I'm talking about why they came to the Housepets Universe originally, the whole thing with making humans and animals equal came later, after Pete got stuck in the desert for so long. It was not the reason they started playing the U&U Duel in the first place, that was because as I said above, they got into a fight over the first U&U game in another Universe and came here to settle it. Really though I can see we both seem to agree that people are still kind of over thinking the Nerds to much anyway.
Alucai Vivorvel

Post by Alucai Vivorvel »

I'm amazed nobody's posted anything like this yet:
Of course replace Tinny Tim with King.
legendario13

Post by legendario13 »

Argent wrote:
legendario13 wrote:I hate how Pete is always... horsing around 8-)
He's a gryphon, not a hippogryph.
It's just because he sometimes takes that weird horse like shape hehehe
A moment of enlightenment...aaaaand it's gone
PhoenixAsper

Post by PhoenixAsper »

Hey, WAIT a minute, WAIT a MINUTE!!!!!

If Pete were to blackmail King into being his avatar, that would be a violation of the free will/free agency thing!! Because that's NOT free will, that's coercion!! Pete CAN'T do this without getting in trouble once again.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

He's not blackmailing him though. Pete simply says that if he loses, King becomes human again. Yes, Pete knows that King probably wants to stay a dog right now, but he's not "blackmailing" him. It's really just a loophole he's trying to exploit I think. I'm sure we'll see soon enough.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

PhoenixAsper wrote:Hey, WAIT a minute, WAIT a MINUTE!!!!!

If Pete were to blackmail King into being his avatar, that would be a violation of the free will/free agency thing!! Because that's NOT free will, that's coercion!! Pete CAN'T do this without getting in trouble once again.
He can still choose wether o agree..... or face the consequences.
Besides, freedom is the absense of boundaries, and until I get to break the laws of physics like crystal, I do not consider myself trully free.
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
Gren

Post by Gren »

Xane wrote:
Gren wrote:However, at least they are not monster and care about them. They want to give them a happy life, no matter if they have to make them suffer first (yeah, a bit Machiavellian).
I have to disagree with this one. It's the one reason I want Pete to win and not Dragon, despite how much I can't stand Pete and wish he would just give up and pick another avatar.

It has been pointed out by all three Cosmic Super $(@!#s that the initial reason for Dragon sending Tarot to Peanut was to block Pete from getting Grape or Peanut as his avatar. The only reason it was done was for the game. Both Pete and Kitsune are surprised, and tease Dragon about the fact that both Tarot and Dragon actually fell in love with Peanut. "Why is your avatar still with the dog?" As if it was a common move in their game to use their avatar to make friends or fall in love with potential avatars, then drop them like a hot potato when it wasn't necessary to keep up the ruse. In my opinion, this is needlessly cruel.
And why you suppose Pete is not doing the same with Fox and Bailey? As I said before, they can play with mortals like humans with ants.
ImageImage
Gren

Post by Gren »

Xane wrote:
Gren wrote:And why you suppose Pete is not doing the same with Fox and Bailey? As I said before, they can play with mortals like humans with ants.
As far as we know (so far), Bailey wasn't specifically sent by Pete to toy with King's emotions like Tarot was with Peanut. Pete's almost as bad, but Dragon's actions are just slightly worse in my mind.

I don't buy the happy ending bit either. Since it was a dream sent by Pete, it could simply be another lie. The flashbacks showed that the avatars can die. Maybe they get to go to Heaven, but that's still hardly the best way to end up there.
I wouldn't be so sure, we really don't know that. But honestly, it can't be a coincidence that between all the dogs in BG he ended up to forge a friendship with the only dog he ever had kidnapped. Besides, remember it was Fox who invited King to go the farm with him, so maybe their encounter was arranged by Pete. And finally, after seen his reaction in this strip, I wouldn't be surprised if this is actually true.
ImageImage
Mickey the Luxray
Location: Why-Cant-We-Be-Given-Some-Consarned-Snow-Ville, USA

You've Got the Wrong Celestial Being

Post by Mickey the Luxray »

Gren wrote: I wouldn't be so sure, we really don't know that. But honestly, it can't be a coincidence that between all the dogs in BG he ended up to forge a friendship with the only dog he ever had kidnapped. Besides, remember it was Fox who invited King to go the farm with him, so maybe their encounter was arranged by Pete. And finally, after seen his reaction in this strip, I wouldn't be surprised if this is actually true.
If King encountering Bailey was arranged by anyone it would be by Dragon... remember how Pete said that Dream Sunderer-type Avatars couldn't be in love with someone? And how Dragon sent in Tarot and used Max to block Pete from using Peanut or Grape?
What would stop Dragon from using Bailey to her advantage, too?
After all, that would mean that Dragon just knocked out Pete's newest potential Dream Sunderer. To counter, Pete would have had to find a different kind of avatar to use... and he did exactly that, using King's contempt for Pete to his own advantage.
Pete's next move would be to recruit King as his avatar by issuing an ultimatum that would multiply King's hatred of Pete, right? Sure. Except for one thing... Like I said before. If King just happened to remember that it was Pete who gave him the life he had now... and without Pete he'd still be in jail, sad and lonely... just HOW MUCH of that oh-so-precious contempt would vanish? Most likely, enough to nerf himself as an Avatar pretty bad.

Pete's set his loss in pure Australium, one way or another, considering that he's been in serious trouble from the beginning. The subjective moment that Dragon put the curse on Pete's temple was the subjective moment where Pete was guaranteed to lose- he's so desperate to get the quick win on Dragon now that he forgets to plan ahead, and inevitably that will lead to his downfall.
If you want my number, it's #804080.
Gren

Re: You've Got the Wrong Celestial Being

Post by Gren »

Mickey the Luxray wrote:If King encountering Bailey was arranged by anyone it would be by Dragon... remember how Pete said that Dream Sunderer-type Avatars couldn't be in love with someone? And how Dragon sent in Tarot and used Max to block Pete from using Peanut or Grape?
What would stop Dragon from using Bailey to her advantage, too?
After all, that would mean that Dragon just knocked out Pete's newest potential Dream Sunderer. To counter, Pete would have had to find a different kind of avatar to use... and he did exactly that, using King's contempt for Pete to his own advantage.
Pete's next move would be to recruit King as his avatar by issuing an ultimatum that would multiply King's hatred of Pete, right? Sure. Except for one thing... Like I said before. If King just happened to remember that it was Pete who gave him the life he had now... and without Pete he'd still be in jail, sad and lonely... just HOW MUCH of that oh-so-precious contempt would vanish? Most likely, enough to nerf himself as an Avatar pretty bad.

Pete's set his loss in pure Australium, one way or another, considering that he's been in serious trouble from the beginning. The subjective moment that Dragon put the curse on Pete's temple was the subjective moment where Pete was guaranteed to lose- he's so desperate to get the quick win on Dragon now that he forgets to plan ahead, and inevitably that will lead to his downfall.
This could be also a possibility, though remember King is not a Dream Sunderer, he's a Dark Paladin.
ImageImage
Argent

Re: You've Got the Wrong Celestial Being

Post by Argent »

Mickey the Luxray wrote:and without Pete he'd still be in jail, sad and lonely.
Nope. The sentence was going to be "time served".
RainbowDragon

Post by RainbowDragon »

So, what´s the condition for spell-reverse now? i am too lazy to look for everything that rhymes with surrender o.o

And I hoped King would never see Pete again... poor boy.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Hint: Surrender also rhymes with Surrender ;)
Specifically Pete's surrender. Thus King needs to play so that the game can be officially decided within the year