2013/05/22 - Tactical Retreat

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Dissension

Re: 2013/05/22 - Tactical Retreat

Post by Dissension »

D-Rock wrote:
RioluNation wrote:What's this "boon"?
Kitsune pretty much promised King that something good would come to him, both soon (which could be his recent happiness) and at the end of the game (information of which was intentionally withheld from King). At the moment, it's still up for speculation.
I like to imagine it'll be the remainder of the "Cosmic Nerds Statuette Collection."

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
valerio

Post by valerio »

IceKitsune wrote:Wait a minute, if Pete quits the game is over and Joel gets a boon from Kitsune at the end of the game; so he could use that to turn himself back into King for good. So yeah Pete is actually a complete moron here. If King is smart about this (which I'm gonna guess hes sadly not going to be because hes very likely going to panic) Pete will have just completely and utterly screwed himself over here.
Not really: Pete didn't say he'd quit the game. He's only risking his best choice (so far) of a Dark Paladin. Should King use the boon now and stay a dog, thus freeing himself from Pete's influence altogether, Pete will still be in the Game but will also be forced to choose another avatar. Not having an avatar is not reason to lose the Game -as far as what few we know about the rules of the most recent edition of U&U.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

valerio wrote:
IceKitsune wrote:Wait a minute, if Pete quits the game is over and Joel gets a boon from Kitsune at the end of the game; so he could use that to turn himself back into King for good. So yeah Pete is actually a complete moron here. If King is smart about this (which I'm gonna guess hes sadly not going to be because hes very likely going to panic) Pete will have just completely and utterly screwed himself over here.
Not really: Pete didn't say he'd quit the game. He's only risking his best choice (so far) of a Dark Paladin. Should King use the boon now and stay a dog, thus freeing himself from Pete's influence altogether, Pete will still be in the Game but will also be forced to choose another avatar. Not having an avatar is not reason to lose the Game -as far as what few we know about the rules of the most recent edition of U&U.
No I'm pretty sure he is talking about quitting the game, he said he would "take his punishment" which is being turned into a mortal (as there is no punishment for not having an Avatar). Even if he doesn't quit the game all together then he still loses anyway Rick has said many times he can't beat Dragon without King so the outcome is basically the same.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

King, now would be a good time to use your kitsuine given rights... a REAL good time to use them.
ImageImageImageImage
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Apols for the gratuitous Doctor Who quote at the end of this rhyme. I felt it fitted.

So here they stand, within the church,
and Pete appears from afar
Will King leave Bailey in the lurch
or become Pete's Avatar?

He's never considered victory
this pensive little guy
he's never considered the cost
of King going 'bye-bye'

He now sees the full retail price,
the price he has to pay
to stay as King would be nice
he may want pups one day...

Joel's now truly happy as King
and doesn't want to go back
as bailey is the thing
keeping him on the right track.

Winning was always his way
to return home as Joel
But now he's given his say
that's no longer his goal.

Perhaps he needs to think in
terms a Doctor might use:-
as it was said:- "To lose is to win,
and he who win's shall lose” (Rassilon – The Five Doctors)
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Red Ryu

Post by Red Ryu »

IceKitsune wrote:Well this is how he does it (because as I said threatening to ruin the wedding was the only card Pete had) this is how he gets him as an Avatar. However this kind of brings up a bit of a plot hole, why in the world didn't he just do this months ago? King already proposed he was going to get married, why bother waiting.
Easier to force him to comply with his demands. This way King can't rethink what he will do and now will take part int he avatar situation since at this point he pretty much wants to be a dog.

Or at least that is what this looks like.

King now has to face the fact he pretty much will be his Dark Knight or he becomes human.
RioluNation

Post by RioluNation »

Red Ryu wrote: King now has to face the fact he pretty much will be his Dark Knight or he becomes human.
Dark Knight, eh? Sounds like a job for Batman! Justice will be served for Pete!
My Facebook page: Spartan Lucario
Follow me on Twitter:Lucarionation
Follow my roleplaying twitter!: Fox the Lucario
Follow me on tumblr: Lucarionation
My YouTube Channel: Lucarionation
Let's all get along. =D
Cerberusx

Post by Cerberusx »

This is a prime example of a "Mexican Standoff."
"Living is Hard Dying is Easy"

"The longer you stare into the abyss, the hard it is to find a reasons to turn back."
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Am I the only one that feels kind of akward for checking at this comic's update at the exact minute it was posted? (It's more embarrasing for me that 12:00 midnight for Rick is 2:00 A.M. for me!)
Dissension wrote:Except we don't know what the prize is.
-"You can take one of this manificient washing machines, or you can trade them for whatever is inside this box."
-"The box! The box!"
D-Rock wrote:Kitsune pretty much promised King that something good would come to him, both soon (which could be his recent happiness) and at the end of the game (information of which was intentionally withheld from King). At the moment, it's still up for speculation.
The tacky gold statue was the inmedeate reward that "Kichune" promised.

Also, there are many words (some not even from the english language!) that rhyme with "surrender." That tells me nothing. Unless Pete is impliyng that "surrender" rhymes with "surrender."
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
FuturisticFox

Post by FuturisticFox »

it's remember :|
GeckoZY
Location: 16 Dimensions, 13th Hyperplane No. 47.54,3674.06,6378.13; Randomly travelling in between Hyperplanes

Post by GeckoZY »

Game Ender perhaps?

Looking at this again. Pete wants King to be his Avatar, specifically a Dark Paladin who is fueled by discontent. But wouldn't King have 'less' discontent if he remained a dog and married Bailey even if he will be Pete's Avatar?

I'm oddly excited of King becoming Pete's avatar. What powers would he have? I doubt he will be swinging swords and wearing armor. XD
Want to split a pineapple?
Collaborative Fan-Fiction:
El Psy Congroo
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Personally, I'm vouching for Gren's idea here.
Anyone wanting Pete losing the duel and becoming a pet parrakeet, say ayup!
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

Argent

Post by Argent »

valerio wrote:In theory, the spell should automatically reverse with the end of the Game, independently from the results...BUT, Kitsune granted a boon to King, and it's a safe bet that it's about King being able to choose to stay a dog. And since HP is due to go on, it's also a safe bet that such plot device will be used later on.
The question is, will King think of the alternatives, or will he believe Pete?

Can he risk it?

If Pete had done this soon after he proposed to Bailey, Joel would have time to find Tarot and cut a deal with Spirit Dragon or Kitsune to turn back to King.

Now, everyone King knows is right outside the door. He can't turn into Joel right now even temporarily.

The only problem with this logic is... Rick wants to close out the cosmic nerd arc. And having King as Pete's avatar will extend it indefinitely.

And King has to know that becoming Pete's avatar will mean Pete will continue to hold this over him.

So maybe he'll decide he might as well get it over with.

And as a double twist, game over, Kitsune shows up, and offers King his boon.

Pete: "YOU CAN'T SPOIL MY DEFEAT LIKE THAT!"

Which would be a killer twist ending.

But since you know I'm Australian, you know you can't choose the cup in front of you...
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

It lookes like Pete will get his Avatar now.
And he will loose the game in the same moment SD and GK will find out how Pete did it.

Vuk91 wrote:That was unforeseen indeed.
I think that was pretty obvious.
ImageIf life gives you lemons, ask for salt and tequila.

Image Image
ImageImageImage
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Gee Pete all this ruining kings life is making me hungry. How does griffin quesadilla sound. Of corse if you were to just leave king alone I'd probably just have a snickers bar. Your choice. Chose wisely.

This post was edited by a moderator.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Dissension wrote: Title Text: Pete, why do you sometimes take that weird horse-like shape?
For Karishad to ride on, of course!
Cerberusx wrote:This is a prime example of a "Mexican Standoff."
Will the real mexican please standoff? Please standoff? Please standoff?

What do you mean those aren't the lyrics?!

Spens

Post by Spens »

There's low, and then there's low. All of my rage are belong to Pete.
WeirdGamer

Post by WeirdGamer »

The suspense is killing me...
My RP Characters and their Voice Claims

I also write stories about kids getting into hi-jinks in a scouting organization. Read them here!
pokeblue

Post by pokeblue »

Looks like I was off about my guess that Pete wouldn't show since planning a wedding is already hectic as is. In any case, welcome back Pete.

Still though, that is such a low blow. Even for someone like Pete, this is just down right low. :x
jman552

Post by jman552 »

Worst birthday present ever

(Yes it is my birthday today)
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Lets see. Which weapon should I use. I could always sic a queen xenomorph on him. Or make him watch a 56 hour marathon of the worst movies of all time in non-subjective time. Of corse the ray gun that makes him feels all the pain anyone has ever experience all at once.
*lightbulb*
Or I could do that all a once, yeessssssss.
Watch out petey boy, for your worst nightmare is coming.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Let's not get carried away...

Timmie

Post by Timmie »

Several points to consider here.

:arrow: Is Pete telling the complete truth? Pete is being very evil, bullying King with his emotions on his wedding day. A nice analogy of how Satin works.

:arrow: Is the surrender for Pete or for Joel when he is human again. Joel will be considered a fugitive from the law. Surrender or be hunted down. Gee, and there are police dogs (and their owners?) on the other side of that door who were not very happy during that whole PETA incident...

:arrow: If King becomes human, will he go back to the jail cell at the time this all started? And will he remember all that happen?

:arrow: King is only a dog temporarily, thus is really human. I do not believe Rick would allow a human/dog marriage to happen.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Timmie wrote:Is Pete telling the complete truth?
Heck no. He's only telling as much of the truth as he finds useful or he might be caught on.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

IceKitsune wrote:People leave their spouses on their wedding day all the time, so its not like that makes his answer anymore likely to be yes to Pete. Even if he had come to him a hour after he proposed to Bailey he still would have had the exact same bargaining chip anyway.
People that leave on their proposed wedding days tend to be treated as someone that doesn't keep their promises. If King is being serious about his proposal and plans on doing it the traditional human way (which, of course, he is) then Pete jumped on King at the right time. He's making sure King stays a dog by giving him the choice to return to human now.

If King agrees to return to a human, Bailey will be heartbroken. Unless somehow King has a back-up plan thought out for when he does return to a human being (Which he clearly doesn't look like he does), he's likely going to refuse Pete at this point, and Pete will have a valid reason to keep King as his avatar on the grounds that he refused to return human.

What surprises me more is I'm not sure how Pete got into the wedding in the first place, but he might've gotten away with it by telling Bahamut and GK that he was going to give him his offer during this time and left Dragon in the dark about it. That, or he simply lied. Last comic i figured they would let him say his final farewells to King before he got married, but then he pulls the human transformation card on him.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Pete's currently not allowed in "the arena." We don't know how large an area, precisely, that entails, or whether it includes psychic projections.

Barkeron

Post by Barkeron »

That's some bizarre timing for Pete to play this card on King now.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Dissension wrote:Pete's currently not allowed in "the arena." We don't know how large an area, precisely, that entails, or whether it includes psychic projections.
Or churches. >.> ... Ah, snap. Sanctuary! :lol:
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Gren

Post by Gren »

Argent wrote:If Pete had done this soon after he proposed to Bailey, Joel would have time to find Tarot and cut a deal with Spirit Dragon or Kitsune to turn back to King.
That's not even a possibility. Dragon can't intervene with him until the end of the game, regardless if he's not chosen as Pete's avatar. Besides, King hates Tarot/Dragon, she even went to warn him about Pete's plan but he slammed the door in her face.
Argent wrote:And as a double twist, game over, Kitsune shows up, and offers King his boon.
Even if that happens, why you assumes that the boon have to do with stay as a dog? Maybe Kitsune could grant him a better life as human, erasing his prison sentence and give to him the possibility to fix things with Fox and conserve his friendship.
Timmie wrote::arrow: King is only a dog temporarily, thus is really human. I do not believe Rick would allow a human/dog marriage to happen.
This is his comic, he can do whatever he want, even get him married with an alien.
GameCobra wrote:If King agrees to return to a human, Bailey will be heartbroken. Unless somehow King has a back-up plan thought out for when he does return to a human being (Which he clearly doesn't look like he does), he's likely going to refuse Pete at this point, and Pete will have a valid reason to keep King as his avatar on the grounds that he refused to return human.
I'm pretty sure everyone will assume that Joel kidnapped King, or another option could be that their memories about King will be deleted.
GameCobra wrote:What surprises me more is I'm not sure how Pete got into the wedding in the first place, but he might've gotten away with it by telling Bahamut and GK that he was going to give him his offer during this time and left Dragon in the dark about it. That, or he simply lied. Last comic i figured they would let him say his final farewells to King before he got married, but then he pulls the human transformation card on him.
Maybe he's using the same power he used to get into Grape's head.
ImageImage
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Pete's move, he thinks fool's proof.
His ego and body go through the roof.
Of a real villain, he is just a spoof,
But he'll turn King human again with a poof!

Pete wants give Joel an emotional scar,
All this "duel" nonesense reminds me, I must say,
Of the song "Do you wanna date my avatar?"
Made by the famous Felicia Day.
Legotron123 wrote:Lets see. Which weapon should I use. I could always sic a queen xenomorph on him. Or make him watch a 56 hour marathon of the worst movies of all time in non-subjective time. Of corse the ray gun that makes him feels all the pain anyone has ever experience all at once.
*lightbulb*
Or I could do that all a once, yeessssssss.
Watch out petey boy, for your worst nightmare is coming.
Torturing Pete seems like a good idea,
But to really traumatize him off his butt
You should make watch Mama Mia!
Extended Director's Cut!
Argent wrote:
Timmie wrote:Is Pete telling the complete truth?

Heck no. He's only telling as much of the truth as he finds useful or he might be caught on.
Pete is both a cunning and sadistic lier,
Of Joel/King, he wants to be the boss.
He is evil and does not wish to retire.
He is a magical version of GLADoS.

ShadowLightning

Post by ShadowLightning »

Am I the only one here who understands almost nothing about the game? Even when I've been reading this comic for at least a year now? Yes? Only me? Okay...

Yup, definitely saw this one coming. Best of luck to you, King.
Heellooooooooo!! Anyone who wants to talk to me, please do. I get lonely sometimes and I get scared whenever I talk first...
Avatar done by the wonderful kurowolfe!
I also have an FA account now. Sooo... check it out.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Gren wrote:
Argent wrote:If Pete had done this soon after he proposed to Bailey, Joel would have time to find Tarot and cut a deal with Spirit Dragon or Kitsune to turn back to King.
That's not even a possibility. Dragon can't intervene with him until the end of the game, regardless if he's not chosen as Pete's avatar.
If Pete surrenders, the game's over, and she can intervene.
Besides, King hates Tarot/Dragon, she even went to warn him about Pete's plan but he slammed the door in her face.
If King hasn't learned to deal with what's real by now, he'd never have been able to propose to Bailey.
Argent wrote:And as a double twist, game over, Kitsune shows up, and offers King his boon.
Even if that happens, why you assumes that the boon have to do with stay as a dog?
Why do you assume it's not going to be "And what do you want for your boon?"
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

King could become a human again, then call Bailey, tell her everything (he could convince her since he would still have the memories) and give the most high rating show the Miltons would expect since it would be the marriage of a human and a dog.
The only downside would be the jail thingy (also convince Fox he's not evil).
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Serence Frostbite »

*clap clap clap* well play , Pete my friend , well played , couldn't have done it better myself :twisted:
wait , what rhyme with surrender ? I thought it is surrender ?
DingoVolf
Location: It was unwise to wake the 3-eyed cat, but we did it anyways, and now look at us. Whatever you do,

Post by DingoVolf »

I'll admit I kinda figured this was going to happen, and have some strong suspicions where it'll head, but I am loving the 'ride' of seeing this play out! King and the cosmic nerds have likely been a pain to do in the comic, but honestly it's why I like HP!

Also, the evil part of me would have started this arc earlier in the year, so that 52 days ago people load up HP! that Monday morning to see the marriage. King and Bailey exchange the I-dos, King suddenly changes into Joel in front of everyone, and the whole church goes into an uproar. Then suddenly Pete tears the roof off the place and yells "April Fools!" ... but this might be why nobody talks to me. :D
MiloxLuna

Post by MiloxLuna »

Timmie wrote:Several points to consider here.

:arrow: King is only a dog temporarily, thus is really human. I do not believe Rick would allow a human/dog marriage to happen.
honestly i don't agree to this. Rick made a cat and dog relationship, and that is taboo. of course that's just the way i think.
steam_macine

Post by steam_macine »

I dont like this end .-. My response is no..
WOOOO! EVERYBODY GET NAKED!
Gren

Post by Gren »

Argent wrote:If Pete surrenders, the game's over, and she can intervene.
If the game ends, why you think SD will still on Tarot's body? Tarot would be free at the time, and do you think go to her house and knock the door is as easy as it sounds? What if is Sabrina's owner whom open the door? By that time Tarot will have lost her powers of foreshadowing (since she is not with Dragon anymore).
If King hasn't learned to deal with what's real by now, he'd never have been able to propose to Bailey.
That's not an explanation. He was too stubborn to listen to her, even though she said he was in danger. Besides, if he really has learned how to deal with the real things, THEN he never would have proposed to Bailey, because he should know that his dog body is not real, is VIRTUAL since the cosmic nerds can do with him what they want when the duel ends, and since he knew that his crush on Bailey was something physical due to his dog body, he should have known that this would be part of Pete's plan to take advantage of him since the beginning.
Why do you assume it's not going to be "And what do you want for your boon?"
I'm not "assuming" anything, I am neutral about all these things that go crazy everyone. But since I am probably the only one, someone have to take the role of the opposite voice. I like to analyze all the possibilities and see the positive things of each one.
MiloxLuna wrote:honestly i don't agree to this. Rick made a cat and dog relationship, and that is taboo. of course that's just the way i think.
Uh, I think a dog-human relationship is in a higher level than a cat-dog relationship on the scale of taboo.
ImageImage
Skiff

Post by Skiff »

Lurk mode Off!

I think I missed the part where Rick said he wanted to tie up the arc, so I'm kinda curious about a few things since there are other variables unaccounted for at the moment.

1) Does Kings watch come into play here or is it a plot point for another time? Pete wanted a part of his soul for a reason, perhaps to circumvent a game rule?

2) What is Tarot / Dragon up to? They're not likely to know what is going on if this scene is playing out in Kings mind, but I doubt they're going to leave this uncontested.

3) And probably a minor point, who are the other players? According to Pete, there should be two more players involved here. (Or just one if Kitsune counts)

Lurk mode On!

You didn't see anything...(especially a double post if I screwed this up.)
MiloxLuna

Post by MiloxLuna »

Gren wrote:
Argent wrote:If Pete surrenders, the game's over, and she can intervene.
Uh, I think a dog-human relationship is in a higher level than a cat-dog relationship on the scale of taboo.
know that i think about it, it is not a dog-human relationship. as long as king stays as a dog, he is considered a dog, there for, it is not taboo at all. if and when he turns human, then it's taboo. (sorry to cut it short, my class ended)