2021/06/02 - I’ve Done Every Other Cliche As A Webcartoonist, Now Get Ready For: The Hiatus Notice

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2021/06/02 - I’ve Done Every Other Cliche As A Webcartoonist, Now Get Ready For: The Hiatus Notice

Post by D-Rock »

[2021/06/02 - I’ve Done Every Other Cliche As A Webcartoonist, Now Get Ready For: The Hiatus Notice]
Title Text: stop looking for hovertext!

You heard the roo, y'all, I'd say he's more than earned the break he needs. No matter how it happens, Rick, best of luck in figuring out how to balance these endeavors, and we'll be waiting for your return.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Dissension

Re: 2021/06/02 - I’ve Done Every Other Cliche As A Webcartoonist, Now Get Ready For: The Hiatus Notice

Post by Dissension »

I will never stop looking for hovertext

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Re: 2021/06/02 - I’ve Done Every Other Cliche As A Webcartoonist, Now Get Ready For: The Hiatus Notice

Post by Obbl »

Your consistent work on Housepets! has always been impressive. Enjoy working out this plot line. I'm super looking forward to the continuation! :D
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

Very bold decision, and I deeply respect it. Rick has proven to be an amazing story teller, so you gotta trust the guy when he says he needs a break.
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
ProtoDot

Post by ProtoDot »

After 13 years straight, he's earned this a loooooooong time ago. I personally can't imagine sticking with any one project for that long, so the fact that that's been his life for so long (seriously, that can't have been healthy) is really impressive.
I might complain, but I wouldn't keep coming back if it wasn't worth it. And it's going to keep being worth it, break and all.
"BEHOLD! The power of an ANGEL!" - Gabriel, moments before getting beaten up by a GoPro
Elwood Blutarsky

Post by Elwood Blutarsky »

Housepets! is a comic that is ever changing and that is good thing. Rick's earned a well earned break to refresh his strips but more importantly just have some fun and time to do whatever he needs to. Proverbial pit stops on the road of life are good.
bjchan95

Post by bjchan95 »

I think this’ll be good: it’ll help you keep the arcs feeling focused and not drag out with filler and junk

Perhaps you could sketch out five comics in groups; and release them during the week, that way you can make sure the story is flowing but not stressing yourself with having to make a comic per day and all that.
I'm very active on the Housepets! wikia, I've created a lot of articles and help keep it up-to-date! Come and help support us! http://www.housepetscomic.wikia.com
Crazy_Simone

Post by Crazy_Simone »

I'm looking forward to whatever gonna happen to this comic. And before that, take your time Rick!
(And that also means I got a chance to catch up my translations project. I've been working on it for 15 months, and I just finished arc 82-I need a vacation)
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

A.K.A. Rick giving other webcomics a chance to win prizes... :)
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Take your time Rick. You've earned a long vacation.
sssugark

Post by sssugark »

Remember to remind us when it comes back, PLEASE! :cry:
Tinnier

Post by Tinnier »

That is perfectly understandable.
You are doing a great job!
Enjoy the break and have good rest Rick.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Follow me on Twitter -> @tinnierArt
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Think Rick has earned a break to re-charge, I can imagine pressure is not good for creativity, here's to more Housepets! Arcs in future when the time is right. I wonder if it might go to a chapter style format or small self contained volumes?
Last edited by DDeer on Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Disproportionately Dappled
valerio

Post by valerio »

13 years, and this comic has done nothing but improving, getting better and better, starting from silly slice of life to a more mature narrative.
Rick, you have been nothing short of amazing, what with Housepets! and all your other projects: This is a truly deserved break for a great R&R in the company of your loved ones and with the knowledge we will be waiting patiently until you are ready to delight us yet again with the all-new Housepets.
Take care you and Apollo, roo!
Salut!
(PS - have you considered as your 'new approach' a weekly page filled with situations, like in 'Savestate'?)
Also: Guest comics...ehehe...ihihi..mwhAHAHAHAHAHAH!
Harry Johnathan

Post by Harry Johnathan »

You deserve the break, Rick. Cheers.
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

I think after 13 years of HP, Rick deserves a nice break.
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Enjoy your well-earned break, Rick, my man, (my roo?) you’ve written a webcomic that is funny and poignant. You’ve done a great job with characters such as Maxwell and Kevin who have evolved and matured, you’ve also given us amazing new characters such as Lois and Marion. Your devotion and dedication to your craft is inspiring and amazing. Take care of yourself, stay sane and stay healthy.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Leotamer

Post by Leotamer »

Hope you enjoy your hiatus. Housepet started out great, but over the years it still manages to get better and better.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

I'm picturing four animals is a damaged car sitting on top of an office building, silently waiting. Marion has fallen asleep in the lap of hid girlfriend and the others are silently staring out the window. Todd starts to say something but is cut off by a glare from Lois.

Lois: One more word and I'm going try out hunting for the first time.
Aardvark: Anyone have an Uno deck?

Enjoy the hiatus, Rick. You deserve it and we'll be waiting, and viewing your other work in the meantime.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Having retired four years ago, Rick, I can only reassure you in saying that there is great wisdom in taking a loooong hiatus. Enjoy your rest and reflection, chum; after that prolonged and punishing work schedule of thirteen years, it's a reward well merited. We'll be here - well, they will; at my age and my stage, I may be otherwheres but I still figure on having access to your genius. ;)

All right, friends, what's a "hovertext"? :oops:
Mctwisp

Post by Mctwisp »

Everybody saying about Rick hiatus, but no one is talking about him having a pouch. :V

No problem with that. Just like surprised to have noticed it lol xP

Anyway, have a good rest, Rick. Tbh, I was kinda asking myself a couple of months how you were dealing with your schedule since all these comics, arts, etc, didn't stop you to be really up-to-date with your strips. :V
"It's not a good thing to be remembered, and the worst is I remember." - McTwisp
restcure

Post by restcure »

But now I'll have to move the link from the "Daily-ish" folder to the "On hiatus" folder. And then I'll have to move it to the "Weekly-ish" folder.

*moan* Why ya gotta make me do so much woooooooork?"
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

NHWestoN wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:18 am Having retired four years ago, Rick, I can only reassure you in saying that there is great wisdom in taking a loooong hiatus. Enjoy your rest and reflection, chum; after that prolonged and punishing work schedule of thirteen years, it's a reward well merited. We'll be here - well, they will; at my age and my stage, I may be otherwheres but I still figure on having access to your genius. ;)

The text you get when your cursor hovers over the picture.

Can also be gained by clicking on the picture with some tablets.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Vertigo Fox

Post by Vertigo Fox »

I respect the decision and his right to make it. I certainly understand the feeling that you want to be more excited about the thing you're making. As a musician, as a writer, and as an amateur game modder, I've been there plenty of times.

On the other fork of the tail though, with Winnipeg back in full Covid lockdown right now and for who knows how much longer, the comic's been one of the few things I've still had to look forward to. May be selfish to say, but the timing of this couldn't have been worse for me.
Guess I'll have to start a project of my own, or find something new. There's always something new. 8-)
Ship's Cat, MPSV Iberia
Check out my musical ramblings, if you dare:

https://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Welsh Halfwit wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:10 am
NHWestoN wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:18 am Having retired four years ago, Rick, I can only reassure you in saying that there is great wisdom in taking a loooong hiatus. Enjoy your rest and reflection, chum; after that prolonged and punishing work schedule of thirteen years, it's a reward well merited. We'll be here - well, they will; at my age and my stage, I may be otherwheres but I still figure on having access to your genius. ;)

The text you get when your cursor hovers over the picture.

Can also be gained by clicking on the picture with some tablets.
You're too kind as always, Welsh. ;) I'm just not good with all this 21st century technology stuff. Thanks.
Startrekfan47

Post by Startrekfan47 »

Mctwisp wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:59 am Everybody saying about Rick hiatus, but no one is talking about him having a pouch. :V

That's where he keeps his pens, pencils, notes, cliches, and Ipods. Enjoy your rest, Rick,you've more than earned it,have an Orange soda on me!
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Eh, I guess that this statement of you was already in the air, Rick. :) Since when I follow Housepets!, I noticed the more significant changes happened right during the 2016 year and later on, changes about the comic format, the drawing and illustration styles, and with the storytelling which got a slower pacing. Your other works done in these years are the first reason in these changes, yeah. What I thought wrong is that you use to write in advance the long arc stories of Housepets!, but instead it's not so, it hasn't never been... This reason also makes your comic work more impressive. :D Housepets! is certainly your luckiest work which launched your comic artist and story writer career, I see that's hard to give it the word end, sooner or later... ;) I bet that carry on a such articulated comic for 13 years is a great milestone for the career of a comic artist, I can just bow to you at this. ;) After just small pauses with guest weeks and sometimes done by force, it's totally deserved that you do a much longer one. :) The age going on and the usual lacking of time to do what you wish (which is this century's everyone's problem...), force someone to take important career decisions. I agree to reduce the comic publication weekly schedule if necessary, we seem to have already talked about it in past.
So, after all this, take your deserved pause reorganizing your works and relaxing the mind. I bet the comic will come back stronger than ever! :D
AlKatze

Post by AlKatze »

Enjoy your break, Rick, you’ve earned it!

I’m excited for the return of Housepets!
Wobblestaff

Post by Wobblestaff »

*cautiously hopes for new Argo and Bravo Charlie stories*
Have a good break Rick! As someone who’s been reading since like 2012, you’ve definitely earned it. Maybe I’ll read back through the archives. It’s really fun to go back and see how we all got here :D
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I am assuming that Rick knows why female kangaroos only have pouches then and that males have no need for them?

Unless his character was designated female at birth.
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

You've earned it, Rick.
Startrekfan47

Post by Startrekfan47 »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:45 pm I am assuming that Rick knows why female kangaroos only have pouches then and that males have no need for them?

It's that odd coin somefur handed him at HP!con'21. Noone's pointed out to him that he's a female kangaroo yet. Rick do me a favor and go into your executive washroom and tell me if you see more kangaroos than usual in the mirror.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Hey, do what you gotta, Rick! I think the storyboarding with a few delays is a good idea, and Housepets! will end up better, not worse, for this. :3 Take care of yourself!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Fish Preferred

Post by Fish Preferred »

Heh.
Joke's on you, Rick; I looked them both up years ago.
Amazee Dayzee wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:45 pm I am assuming that Rick knows why female kangaroos only have pouches then and that males have no need for them?

He knows. Also, if he's being personified as "West", then he's already kind of gender fluid. This I know from his DA account that I'd also looked up.

Unrelated note: I kind of just assumed by now that he was always working off a grand overarching storyline planned out years in advance. I don't remember ever getting an impression of the comic being rushed or haphazard (I mean, obviously Spot(superdog) and the Imaginate arcs, but they're supposed to be like that).
Knowledge is not as simple as having the right answers. Knowledge is a way of finding them.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I figured that he did know and was trying to make a little joke. Though I will say him being gender-fluid is actually news to me.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Huh, thought last I saw was what he referred to as “gender-agnostic.”
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
rourkie

Post by rourkie »

1000% cool. As one of my (and many others') favorite webcomic artists, take time for yourself first. We're totally here for whatever you're doing, and however much makes YOU happy, no matter what that looks like. We're not going anywhere and support you in whatever capacity you need.

In other words, all the support, but absolutely no pressure. Thank you for everything.
--
"Some things are beyond the logic of our eyes and ears..."
TOPCATDIGIANIMEFAN

Post by TOPCATDIGIANIMEFAN »

Be Careful Rick I'll be Be🙏 For You😟"
22xander

Post by 22xander »

I totaly understand this decision, I can't complete a single storyline not to matter such a long comic. It's bean a while and with the prep work I get what's going on. I do hope that after the comic gets back it won't take too long to get back to Marion's story, which is the one I'm most interested in now that king's settled XD.

On an unrelated note: Rick's Roo is adorable. Notice the pouch, that's so cute. >:3