2013/06/05 - A Minor Glitch

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Welsh Halfwit

Re: 2013/06/05 - A Minor Glitch

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

TheOne wrote:I want to apologize to everyone for my poem this morning. I've taken a second look at the comic and realized how dark it really is. Just stop and think for a moment with me. This is something that really happened in Japan. Now I'm too young to have lived through WWII, but I know that a lot of Vets would be very unhappy (or extremely angry) if they saw this. This isn't just some little firecracker here; this is death on a massive scale. And for what? To contrast to a joke in the last panel? That just seems very wrong to me. And to be fair, that last panel would be funny if it was clearly shown that this was all miniature. But there's no panel showing a zoomed-out view of a tabletop. There's just a expression of "oh no, what have I done" on Jasper's face.

I am of the opinion that two options be presented: either add in a panel that clearly shows a tabletop full of miniatures, or pull the comic for being above the PG rating. Does anyone agree with me?

Sorry, I forgot to mention: if I'm the only one who doesn't like this I'll 'button my lip' and not say anything more about it.
Being a recent arrival, it took me a few minutes to be sure that this is merely a 'Tom & Jerry' thing by which everyone will be alive again in the next scene. Guest strips are never considered canon (no pun intended) and it's very doubtful that too many veterans would be offended by this. NOT because it's 'in the funnies' but because the writers and artists don't shirk from showing the disturbing repercussions of the blast.

Don't worry about it seeming wrong to you, though. That's quite permitted, I believe, and there's never a need to 'button your lip'. Ask many readers here and they'll tell you that they're often on the 'minority opinion' side but they still give their opinion within the guidelines of the site. You are not responsible for what others think of your opinions; you are only responsible for getting your opinion out there.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

It's just slapstick comedy that went overboard for comedic effect. Keep in mind how violent the source material for those characters (Tom and Jerry) gets.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
valerio

Post by valerio »

Sleet wrote:It's just slapstick comedy that went overboard for comedic effect. Keep in mind how violent the source material for those characters (Tom and Jerry) gets.
...and don't get me started on 'Shnookums and Meat'! :lol:
Mickey the Luxray
Location: Why-Cant-We-Be-Given-Some-Consarned-Snow-Ville, USA

Post by Mickey the Luxray »

Sleet wrote:It's just slapstick comedy that went overboard for comedic effect. Keep in mind how violent the source material for those characters (Tom and Jerry) gets.
Well, I'm quite sure that nuclear weapons were never used by either of the two. TNT, of course, but not a nuke. T&J was at its peak during the Cold War, everyone was terrified of a nuclear strike, noone wanted to see one in action.

The implications of the strip, now that I think about them, well overshadow the punchline.

But, they're not a cause to take the strip down.

After all, I'm looking at this as a guy who saw (and took to heart) the Hiroshima bombing scene from Barefoot Gen, so naturally I'd be a bit biased against any use of a nuke in a populated area, even for comedic purposes.

Let's move on, please. Discussing the strip this way is going to end in another "Woe Woe Woe."
If you want my number, it's #804080.
_Stu_
Banner Artist

Post by _Stu_ »

Oh please guys. I don't like to be serious if there's no need to (after all we're talking about a strip made for amusement, that's all), even less to be crude in the meantime.

I can quote BILLION of comics, animations, movies, series with a nuke representation in it, even with REAL IMAGES taken from historical documents. And guess what, they often do this for the funny. I had the taste to avoid to pick real images and material from a true test or use, i guess it should be enough: it's just a cartoon representetion of a non existing place populated by non existing characters.

I'm not sure someone would be offended by this, let's talk about contexts. Even if terrible, even with the consequences it had somewhere, a nuke is just an object and a weapon on paper, and it probably made less victims than every. Single. Normal. Weapon. Think about guns and rifles, in years and years of war. Would i offend someone if i put a rifle in a comic? Why not, if i think of ENTIRE populations exterminated by the fire of thousands of little rifles. The natural disease? Yes, but right now i see no one mentioning it, even if it is the real menace of a nuke attack. What I'm trying to say is: the problem is not the nuke itself, but the context. We didn't use it to make you taste Hiroshima on your skin. But just to show the final consequence of an ultimate Tom and Jerry show.

I'm sorry some could be offended, and i apologize, of course. But i find the argumentation a little weak, and it stays.
Last edited by _Stu_ on Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
My webcomics! Read and subscribe if you like them (or one of them), and don't forget to vote on TopWebComics!

valerio

Post by valerio »

couldn't have put it better, Stu 8-)
gameangel147

Post by gameangel147 »

Well that escalated quickly! Sorry had to be said, but I actually have no idea as to what is happening.
valerio

Post by valerio »

gameangel147 wrote:Well that escalated quickly! Sorry had to be said, but I actually have no idea as to what is happening.
Jasper & Jinx have been introduced by Rick in the comic as homage to the Tom & Jerry show, where J&J were the debut names of said characters.
If you ever watched T&J, you'll understand that, after repeated failures, things *can* escalate a bit :lol:
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

I approved this comic, so ultimate responsibility rests with me. I judged the strip to be lighthearted, silly, and very reminiscent of the cartoons I watched on television nearly 30 years ago. If you have any questions or concerns about this strip, you may PM me directly.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Gamewolf67

Post by Gamewolf67 »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:
TheOne wrote:I want to apologize to everyone for my poem this morning. I've taken a second look at the comic and realized how dark it really is. Just stop and think for a moment with me. This is something that really happened in Japan. Now I'm too young to have lived through WWII, but I know that a lot of Vets would be very unhappy (or extremely angry) if they saw this. This isn't just some little firecracker here; this is death on a massive scale. And for what? To contrast to a joke in the last panel? That just seems very wrong to me. And to be fair, that last panel would be funny if it was clearly shown that this was all miniature. But there's no panel showing a zoomed-out view of a tabletop. There's just a expression of "oh no, what have I done" on Jasper's face.

I am of the opinion that two options be presented: either add in a panel that clearly shows a tabletop full of miniatures, or pull the comic for being above the PG rating. Does anyone agree with me?

Sorry, I forgot to mention: if I'm the only one who doesn't like this I'll 'button my lip' and not say anything more about it.
Being a recent arrival, it took me a few minutes to be sure that this is merely a 'Tom & Jerry' thing by which everyone will be alive again in the next scene. Guest strips are never considered canon (no pun intended) and it's very doubtful that too many veterans would be offended by this. NOT because it's 'in the funnies' but because the writers and artists don't shirk from showing the disturbing repercussions of the blast.

Don't worry about it seeming wrong to you, though. That's quite permitted, I believe, and there's never a need to 'button your lip'. Ask many readers here and they'll tell you that they're often on the 'minority opinion' side but they still give their opinion within the guidelines of the site. You are not responsible for what others think of your opinions; you are only responsible for getting your opinion out there.
I thought it was good.
Feel my icy wrath!
valerio

Post by valerio »

The Furret appreciated
Argent

Post by Argent »

Mickey the Luxray wrote:
Well, I'm quite sure that nuclear weapons were never used by either of the two. TNT, of course, but not a nuke. T&J was at its peak during the Cold War, everyone was terrified of a nuclear strike, noone wanted to see one in action.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duck_Dodge ... th_Century
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
RockstarRaccoon
Worst Mod EVER!

Post by RockstarRaccoon »

Woooowwww...
That's dark...
Hey guys, I'm one of the RP section mods. Feel free to bug me any time: I'm not strict and I try to be very approachable.
Fanfiction Character: Vallerie Nightengale (female, idiot)
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

As a fan of slapstick violence with no regards to real-world physics, I love this strip x3
Nukes or otherwise ;p

Applegate Appearance Cheat Sheet

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
Ryusuta

Post by Ryusuta »

Wait, people were upset about this? It was AWESOME!

Seriously, it was like a direct parody of Tom & Jerry. You know, the kids' cartoon. Sheesh.