2013/08/28 - Giving An Earful

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Dissension

2013/08/28 - Giving An Earful

Post by Dissension »

[ Giving An Earful ]

Title Text: You'll come over, I'll make cookies, we'll watch a bunch of movies on the big couch, and then the doghouse!!

It's awesome that Grape and Max resolve their issues so maturely. <3

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Johnnaman
Location: In your backyard tree...looking at you right now...

Re: 2013/08/28 - Giving An Earful

Post by Johnnaman »

Well that was a humorus ending. Seems we were wrong about the outburst being something deeper. Unless he's hiding his reason.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

plot twist: she's making him sleep in Joey's doghouse
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
TheOne
Location: Trapped in the center of the Galaxy. Need a starship to get out!

Post by TheOne »

Tarot should at least give Peanut a ring first.
Dag nabbed petty annoyances...
WeirdGamer

Post by WeirdGamer »

Xane wrote:Too bad, Peanut would be better off with Grape for the sole reason she's not a complete charming young lady like Tarot.

I still say the right choice was "Neither of you."
I think us Granpenut shippers will just have to continue to be disappointed.
My RP Characters and their Voice Claims

I also write stories about kids getting into hi-jinks in a scouting organization. Read them here!
TheOne
Location: Trapped in the center of the Galaxy. Need a starship to get out!

Post by TheOne »

WeirdGamer wrote:
Xane wrote:Too bad, Peanut would be better off with Grape for the sole reason she's not a complete charming young lady like Tarot.

I think us Granpenut shippers will just have to continue to be disappointed.
Remember, all roads lead (eventually) to Grapenut.
Dag nabbed petty annoyances...
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Ehhhh I still say his reaction was a bit overblown for just screwing up a few times in front of Grape. Really its mostly that whole "Not just lose but sink to the bottom" line that seems to make it mean more then just that.
GeckoZY
Location: 16 Dimensions, 13th Hyperplane No. 47.54,3674.06,6378.13; Randomly travelling in between Hyperplanes

Post by GeckoZY »

Everything reverses when they switched back to their own dimension. XD
Want to split a pineapple?
Collaborative Fan-Fiction:
El Psy Congroo
GarrisonSkunk

Post by GarrisonSkunk »

So Peanut....you could have been exploring different planes of existence with a real live Dragon (the kind you were complaining were never in books with 'dragon' in the title) and have decided instead to hang out with someone who drags you around by the ear.

You have chosen....unwisely.

On the other hand, awwww to the cute tail snug and call back to Grape's '...OWI' experience.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

I wonder if we getting an Epilogue to this arc as its kind of rare for arcs to not end on a Friday.
gameace777

Post by gameace777 »

Seems like Tarot has some insecurity issues. Maybe second thinking his choice now?
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Good to see that Max and Grape are going about this so well. As for Peanut and Tarot, well, we learned we should be just a little more careful with what we say.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Nightfirex

Post by Nightfirex »

A good and funny end, we do see the love that Max and Grape have for each other, that the relationship that Peanut and Tarot have is quite adorable like a young couple I am sure they will become a happy and funny couple to see and watch grow. Dragon was removed from the picture at the end so we will he left wondering what her next few choices will be be and the effect that will have, but seeing Max and Grape make me hopeful on what I see on the horizon and what Dragon may see as a good opportunity. I am sorry for the Grapenut hopefuls but I think that may not happen. So on to the funny stuff till the next story began.
Last edited by Nightfirex on Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KhazixRusyuu

Post by KhazixRusyuu »

Good on ya' mister Max. Not often we get to see him being the resolver of the arc/current shenanigans going about.
Critical ham alert. Please change the bulb so we may update to code blue.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

What exactly about her makes her a "charming young lady?" The fact that she didn't react positively to being insulted?
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

WeirdGamer wrote:I think us Granpenut shippers will just have to continue to be disappointed.
At this point, as much of a Grapenut shipper as I am, its dead as a doornail. Rick might as well say it really; for those few who still think it will happen. At this point I just wonder if Rick ever seriously considered doing it at some point.
Xane wrote:
IceKitsune wrote:Ehhhh I still say his reaction was a bit overblown for just screwing up a few times in front of Grape. Really its mostly that whole "Not just lose but sink to the bottom" line that seems to make it mean more then just that.
Well it's not just this, it's her beating up a crocodile and the Evil Shadow when they were kittens, her constant victories (abuse) over Bino, the haunted house, various other situations we never saw, and now this... well hopefully Grape has reassured him that a few screwups aren't going to make her love him any less.

Meanwhile Tarot is being nasty to Peanut over something that she brought upon herself after leading him to be scared half to death that a Dragon was going to smite him on the spot... at this point Peanut would be better of with Daisy. :|

Daisnut?
Eh, I still say even with all that, thinking its that bad is still overblown and over dramatic but I guess Max was just being a bit of a drama queen.
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

HERE WE GO! :D
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Awww, I love how she hugs him. <3 <3 <3

This is going up as #2 on my favourites list, next to one cat's treasure. All the four-handed fun and boot jokes along with some nice cuddling was well worth it.

I have to say, the arc tricked me a few times, but I noticed Rick was trying to squeeze in as much of all four of these characters at a time during the summer. At first the arc seemed like it was curving towards Peanut and Tarot, but ended with more notes towards Max and Grape, which was pretty much sorting the balance of who gets more time on the comic.
Xane wrote:Meanwhile Tarot is being nasty to Peanut over something that she brought upon herself after leading him to be scared half to death that a Dragon was going to smite him on the spot... at this point Peanut would be better of with Daisy. :|
The thing with Tarot is that we didn't get to see much reaction out of her initially, but as time goes on, you start to notice she's starting to have more control over Peanut.

I don't think this is a bad thing. I think the lesson here isn't that Tarot is being generally mean to Peanut, it's just she's starting to notice that Peanut has faults and is generally looking to do nothing but have fun and take it easy. We know that's Peanut's enjoyable quirks, but I think the point here is that Tarot is starting to notice these things are getting out of hand with Peanut.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Oh come on Tarot! Peanut just did one of the sweetest things for you (choosing you over an very powerful deity that could have easily disposed of him when he said no) and your mad about that?! He deserves snuggles! And maybe a little bonk on the head for the "normal" comment... maybe. ;)
And this was the best possible ending, I double checked :lol: . Sorry Grapenut fans, I'm sure it'll happen someday (most likely the end of the comic). :)
ImageImageImageImage
valerio

Post by valerio »

Dissension wrote:[ Giving An Earful ]

Title Text: You'll come over, I'll make cookies, we'll watch a bunch of movies on the big couch, and then the doghouse!!

It's awesome that Grape and Max resolve their issues so maturely. <3
Honest to Dog? Yes. It means they *do* work as a couple.
Dang.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

CHAOKOCartoons wrote:Oh come on Tarot! Peanut just did one of the sweetest things for you (choosing you over an very powerful deity that could have easily disposed of him when he said no) and your mad about that?! He deserves snuggles! And maybe a little bonk on the head for the "normal" comment... maybe. ;)
And this was the best possible ending, I double checked :lol: . Sorry Grapenut fans, I'm sure it'll happen someday (most likely the end of the comic). :)
To be fair, she is making him cookies and going to watch movies with him afterwards =3 ... but after that? *points to the Doghouse* D:
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

I think it's sweet Tarot is talking of moving in with Peanut.

Sure she's only planning to do it so she can throw him out but...

Affection means understanding the other,
be they girlfriend, mate, sister or brother.
It means forgiving their little mistakes -
They're not perfect? Them's the breaks.
Sometimes it means minor punishment
but, after that, you can relax and relent.
The best thing of making up is the... hug,
(even if your chosen one is a foolish pug)
Max has Grape and she'll forgive his all
even as Tarot puts her Nut up against a wall.
She'll forgive him for his slur in time
and embrace like Max, forgetting 'Nut's crime.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
RioluNation

Post by RioluNation »

Yay hugs!
My Facebook page: Spartan Lucario
Follow me on Twitter:Lucarionation
Follow my roleplaying twitter!: Fox the Lucario
Follow me on tumblr: Lucarionation
My YouTube Channel: Lucarionation
Let's all get along. =D
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

And to think IceKitsune thought Maxwell wouldn't reveal why he said what he said until a lot of time from now.

Tarot is overreacting, though, after all she is, indeed, NOT normal. Or anormal, which means the same but everyone thinks it's derogatory, which makes that word awesome.
Welsh Halfwit wrote:Max has Grape and she'll forgive his all
even as Tarot puts her Nut up against a wall.
I love that pun.
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
GarrisonSkunk

Post by GarrisonSkunk »

Well, if Tarot is going to move into Peanut's house, she's gonna need a new name. Earl, I suggest 'Subway', 'Rueben' or 'Ham&Cheese'.
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

I saw your wrong. *thunder in the background*
gameace777 wrote:Seems like Tarot has some insecurity issues. Maybe second thinking his choice now?
And how is being insulted by your SO mean you have some insecurity issues? Do explain yourself, given that Peanut has been with Tarot for a number of years now and knew her quirks right at the very beginning.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Silly Zealot wrote:And to think IceKitsune thought Maxwell wouldn't reveal why he said what he said until a lot of time from now.

Tarot is overreacting, though, after all she is, indeed, NOT normal. Or anormal, which means the same but everyone thinks it's derogatory, which makes that word awesome.
I'm rather glad I'm wrong in this case, it would have annoyed me if we had to wait a long time; even if the actual answer was that Max was kind of being really over dramatic about nothing.

Also I don't think that Tarot is over reacting here. That is a rather normal response to such an insult, especially by your SO as Foxstar said. Plus, you have to account for the fact that with that statement, Peanut really did imply that hes kind of been, at least somewhat, faking his like for all the trips and weird stuff they have done while dating as well.
gameangel147

Post by gameangel147 »

So if screwing up doesn't make you a screw up, then does that mean that making stupid decisions doesn't make you stupid?
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Yeah! Intelligent people make stupid decisions and otherwise screw up all the time! A large part of maturity involves realizing you're not perfect, admitting your mistakes, and working to avoid doing the same thing again... but you might!

Felphor

Post by Felphor »

Hmm, this is kinda the opposite of what i assumed was gonna happen.
i assumed that Max and Grape were gonna have a bit of tension between each other, while Peanut and Tarot were gonna have a unanimous "Let's not do this again." Welp, still funny to see Tarot take Peanut like that. :lol:
Poor Peanut...

Edit: i love how many times "Normal" has been a thing in this arc(im a Normal gym leader in pokemon)
Yeah, I Like Pokemon!
Tatsuo

Post by Tatsuo »

Not as cutesy as I thought it would be. Tushay, Mr. Griffin Tushay
We assume so much, and know so little...
“Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend." - Albert Camus.
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

I'm happy that Graps and Max are still together. But poor Peanut in a doghouse? He did not deserve that. He was not mean to Tarot, he was honest as he always is and he choose her. What more does Tarot want? (Maybe she'll join him in the doghouse for some mushy things. :D)

Dissension wrote:You come right here, right now, and discuss the comic, or else! *grabs your ear*
Hey, Ouch! Let go! I can find that way without you pulling my ear!
IceKitsune wrote:I wonder if we getting an Epilogue to this arc as its kind of rare for arcs to not end on a Friday.
That was also on my mind. Arcs usually end on Fridays. What will happen the day after tomorrow.
GarrisonSkunk wrote:Well, if Tarot is going to move into Peanut's house, she's gonna need a new name. Earl, I suggest 'Subway', 'Rueben' or 'Ham&Cheese'.
Tarot with a Sandwich-name? Hammand Cheese Sandwich would more be a males name, I would say... :lol:
ImageIf life gives you lemons, ask for salt and tequila.

Image Image
ImageImageImage
Felphor

Post by Felphor »

Render wrote:I'm happy that Grape and Max are still together. But poor Peanut in a doghouse? He did not deserve that. He was not mean to Tarot, he was honest as he always is and he choose her. What more does Tarot want? (Maybe she'll join him in the doghouse for some mushy things. :D)
It was a very good ending to the arc. always good to see Max and Grape happy. Tarot better be mushy! as you said, Peanut only told the truth about his feelings. it wasnt even directed toward Tarot. i think she is just going through a phase.
GarrisonSkunk wrote:Well, if Tarot is going to move into Peanut's house, she's gonna need a new name. Earl, I suggest 'Subway', 'Rueben' or 'Ham&Cheese'.
hmm, this is gonna be hard to figure out if she does decide to change her name. They could go completely cheesy and name her Pomegranate(being that she is a Pomeranian), or it could be something fun like Nutella(which i think would be brilliant)!

there is no need in a name change, but if there was, these would be some fun options.
Yeah, I Like Pokemon!
Argent

Post by Argent »

Xane wrote:I still say the right choice was "Neither of you."
Based on the final frame, I'd say you're right.
TheOne wrote:Tarot should at least give Peanut a ring first.
Does Peanut even have a phone?
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
GarrisonSkunk

Post by GarrisonSkunk »

Felphor wrote:
hmm, this is gonna be hard to figure out if she does decide to change her name. They could go completely cheesy and name her Pomegranate(being that she is a Pomeranian), or it could be something fun like Nutella(which i think would be brilliant)!

there is no need in a name change, but if there was, these would be some fun options.
Heh, Nutella would be perfect, wish I had thought of that :) I have a feeling if she moved into the Sandwich household Earl would insist 'My house, my rules'. After all, its implied in "Housepets Babies!" that he wouldn't have married Mrs. Sandwich if her name wasn't 'Jill'.

"Screwing up doesn't mean you're a screwup." - Housepets! 2013
"Love means never having to say you're sorry" - Love Story 1970
"That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard in my life." - What's Up, Doc? 1972
Felphor

Post by Felphor »

GarrisonSkunk wrote: Heh, Nutella would be perfect, wish I had thought of that :) I have a feeling if she moved into the Sandwich household Earl would insist 'My house, my rules'. After all, its implied in "Housepets Babies!" that he wouldn't have married Mrs. Sandwich if her name wasn't 'Jill'.
Welp, as long as we can decide that Nutella would be amazing, we're good! woot!
Yeah, I Like Pokemon!
Nohbody

Post by Nohbody »

Sleet wrote:

What exactly about her makes her a "charming young lady?" The fact that she didn't react positively to being insulted?
"[C]harming young lady" is a reference to King's curse in the last panel of this strip, presumably based on the word that King didn't say also being the generic term for a female dog (and, on an OOC basis, based on Rick wanting to keep the comic PG-rated :P ).
Felphor

Post by Felphor »

Anyways, time to go pass out for like 5 hours. cya guys ^w^
Yeah, I Like Pokemon!
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Nohbody wrote:
Sleet wrote:What exactly about her makes her a "charming young lady?" The fact that she didn't react positively to being insulted?
"[C]harming young lady" is a reference to King's curse in the last panel of this strip, presumably based on the word that King didn't say also being the generic term for a female dog (and, on an OOC basis, based on Rick wanting to keep the comic PG-rated :P ).
Sleet was asking by what measure Tarot qualified for description as such, not the etymology of the phrase within Housepets!

Karl

Post by Karl »

Grape wrote:We all make mistakes;
Thank you, Grape.
I'm a bookworm!