Title Text: oh look at the time, it's an acrometatarsium past a cancella

Pete is just the most adorable thing ever. :3

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Gbr23

Re: 2014/05/16 - Parting Blows

Post by Gbr23 »

... LET THE GAMES BEGIN !!!
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

What did I say? Something was going to screw her over. That is exactly what happened. :roll:
WhoElseButQuagmire

Post by WhoElseButQuagmire »

So is King going to wake up next to a Bailey clone...or is Joel going to wake up next to no one?
Phlosioneer

Post by Phlosioneer »

Xane wrote:Meh. I just don't find it entertaining to keep reading about someone whose entire personality is "being a jerk". I'll give it a few more strips but I think I need to just quit reading until the cosmic jerks are gone.
He's a bit more than a jerk - he has some legitimate personality underneath his jerky exterior. Or so I think. We'll see what happens in the upcoming comics.
Profile pic courtesy of Chu, from Slightly Damned!
falcon01

Post by falcon01 »

Oh my, not good, not good at all!
"They say in the darkest night there's a light beyond"
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Serence Frostbite »

WhoElseButQuagmire wrote:So is King going to wake up next to a Bailey clone...or is Joel going to wake up next to no one?
or , he'll be the only one who remembers her :?
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

This is exactly what I was afraid of. This arc is getting way too serious. I don't like it when a slice-of-life gets this serious....
It serious feels like a case of "Jumping the Shark".... And also I find King over-rated, so yeah....
Vyath

Post by Vyath »

What did pete do to king? I see one of two possibilities. 1) Joel time. I don't think that's likely because of, ya know, Bailey becoming Pete's avatar just to prevent that from happening. More likely I think it's 2) this is how we get our "it was just a dream.... OR WAS IT" cosmic nerds standard exit.
Also, 7 months? Are we talking real-time or subjective time?
Discostew

Post by Discostew »

Pete is dead...he is soooo dead!
Phlosioneer

Post by Phlosioneer »

SuperStar wrote:This is exactly what I was afraid of. This arc is getting way too serious. I don't like it when a slice-of-life gets this serious....
It serious feels like a case of "Jumping the Shark".... And also I find King over-rated, so yeah....
It's funny; the I'm on the other side of that coin. From my point of view, this comic's been hibernating as a slice-of-life comic for a while, and now is finally getting back to meaningful plot.
Profile pic courtesy of Chu, from Slightly Damned!
max7345
Location: Yuma, AZ (Also known as drought-city and oven-town during the Summer)

Post by max7345 »

I find it suspicious that Pete had to cut the conversation short just because Dragon was starting to take notice.
WhoElseButQuagmire

WEBQ awwws at Max 7345's post...One of the kangaroos wants a hug! (Hugs said kangaroo.)
Ryusuta

Post by Ryusuta »

Great. King is going to be Joel again. And knowing this timeline, Bailey is legitimately not going to be seen for 7 months. Man, I hate this stupid arc. A lot.

Sorry, Rick...
Hedronal

Post by Hedronal »

So the duel is shorter on the inside? I know people are starting to complain about things again with these arcs, but I still find it fun to see wheres things go.
max7345
Location: Yuma, AZ (Also known as drought-city and oven-town during the Summer)

Post by max7345 »

WhoElseButQuagmire wrote:WEBQ awwws at Max 7345's post...One of the kangaroos wants a hug! (Hugs said kangaroo.)
:lol: I suppose it does look like my avatar is asking for a hug. I'm sure he appreciates it.
RokukeShiba

Post by RokukeShiba »

Eh I feel this is to much Drama.

I hope all the magic stuff stop and go back to the normal comic >.>
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

For lightness to work there has to be dark as well. For those who keep saying 'where's the jokes' I simply ask where humour (with or without the u) would be without drama? Would there be any humour? Doubt it. Plus there is something I like about the 'bad guy' (undoubtably Pete) being the one fighting for Pet/Human equality.

With a soft kiss, the hard horror begins
the culmination of many millennias
of plot and counter-plot among the godgeeks.
Dark hope fills the world
as equalities dark champion strains
to beat the noble divider Dragon.
There's no trusting Pete, no matter what he seeks,
and King's Queen is now his pawn.
The beak has taken her 'outback'
to train in secret. To train to fight.
He's going to change her, no doubt;
you cannot believe she'll be all right.
The war has begun and the battle cry's sounded;
the world's in peril now Pete's not grounded...
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Discostew

Post by Discostew »

Ryusuta wrote:Great. King is going to be Joel again. And knowing this timeline, Bailey is legitimately not going to be seen for 7 months. Man, I hate this stupid arc. A lot.

Sorry, Rick...
I thought King would "keep his life and his wife" if Pete got an avatar. Wasn't that correct? Even still, what kind of life does King have without Bailey?
PIERULEZ

Post by PIERULEZ »

There is Pete being a jerk again

also this is getting very interesting, keep up the good work Rick! :mrgreen:
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I have a few same guesses; a Bailey clone to keep up appearances, the memory of Bailey being there being wiped out from everyone but King, or maybe there's a third option. Joel becoming his old self was an interesting idea, and I wouldn't put it past Pete to lie about that, I mean, he hasn't shown he's the most trustworthy guy out there. Or maybe it's something that none of us have thought of yet.

It'll be interesting to see what Joel/King will do now.

And I've been wondering, I wonder if Bailey is willing to fight Tarot. True, the only interaction we saw of them was the last Imaginate, but maybe they've gotten to know each other since then.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Gren

Post by Gren »

That 7th panel was a futile attempt to contradict what I said in the previous thread. This is a Deus ex machina until an explanation is given. You can't just expect I'll believe that the whole thing was planned 7000 years in advance after seen all Pete's desperate moves and his sudden changes of plans. Besides it doesn't help at all when you say that this was planned 2000 years before the duel has even started.

And now Bailey is even stronger than what King would've ever been able to? Just like that? Why did he bother then?

Well, at least that last panel made this strip a little bit interesting. This would mean that we may see Joel in the following strip. Yeah, the drama begins!
Phlosioneer wrote:It's funny; the I'm on the other side of that coin. From my point of view, this comic's been hibernating as a slice-of-life comic for a while, and now is finally getting back to meaningful plot.
Finally someone with a bit of sense!
ImageImage
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

This strip was finished long before the previous thread even went up. There is no attempt to contradict you.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
valerio

Post by valerio »

Ryusuta wrote:Great. King is going to be Joel again. And knowing this timeline, Bailey is legitimately not going to be seen for 7 months. Man, I hate this stupid arc. A lot.Sorry, Rick...
...and you may be right. ogod. Pete is definitely NOT used to throw words around.

Likely outcome: this year ends with Joel in his worst predicament EVER. Likely, on the run for avoiding being accused of dognapping Bailey.
Next season: switch to Peanut and Grape. As Avatar, Tarot will of course tell Peanut of her long-planned leave. And one like Peanut may even go buy popcorn and look for a cable channel to the 'brutal combat', whatever it consists of... But it's really likely that Peanut will suffer being left alone for such long time. What will Grape do to help him out?
I'd say that this parting of beloved ones fulfills the prophecy Tarot made some time ago.

Also, for how much I feel like detesting that gryphon in ways that I never considered possible...yet Pete has always been honest with himself being a jerk.
Dragon is MUCH more at fault, here: there was another Game before this, she KNEW the consequences of involving mortals, and how shatterful to their lives that could be, but NOOO, she had to play another Game! Congratulations, draggie: you love mortals so much, but you won't hesitate to throw them in an arena as well! :twisted:

As for keeping "his life and his wife", that is subject to interpretation -heck, guys, we know Pete!
But the Bailey clone idea sounds fun, must admit it.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Gren wrote:That 7th panel was a futile attempt to contradict what I said in the previous thread.
Yes, because Rick looked into the future and predicted you would be complaining and wrote that in just for you. :P

Though I am also curious about his "7000" year plan, considering how much seemed to be desperate acts up till now. (Maybe he's trying to sound all smart in front of King? :? )
Tooths

Post by Tooths »

This just suddenly got a lot more interensting. One wonders what King is going to do when he "wakes up". :roll:
Nothing fixes a thing so intensely to the memory as the wish to forget it.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Obbl wrote:Though I am also curious about his "7000" year plan, considering how much seemed to be desperate acts up till now. (Maybe he's trying to sound all smart in front of King? :? )
Personally I think his 7000 year plan was

1. Get out of temple.

2. Get Avatar.

3. Beat Dragon.

4. Eat pizza.

As for why he keeps after King? He MAY have thought a disgruntled human transformed to see the benefits of Dogkind was his best bet but, in jumping the gun, he ended up imprisoned. He couldn't influence anyone else so King became not his best bet but his only bet.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
valerio

Post by valerio »

Pete promised that at this point King could keep his life AND his wife... But that contradicts what just happened, by separating them and not for a short time!
King will have everything back when the final part of the Game is over. In the meantime, being him technically a Third Party in the game, Pete's best option, now that he isn't under magical restrictions anymore, is to turn the dog back into a human and put him out of any possible interference.
Our only hope, should this come to be (Rick give us a Sunday strip YESTERDAY!), is that somehow Joel teams up with Sabrina or perhaps even Keene (owner of a piece of Pete's magic) to get back in the Game and get Bailey back.
WhoElseButQuagmire

Welsh Halfwit wrote:
Obbl wrote:Though I am also curious about his "7000" year plan, considering how much seemed to be desperate acts up till now. (Maybe he's trying to sound all smart in front of King? :? )
Personally I think his 7000 year plan was

1. Get out of temple.

2. Get Avatar.

3. Beat Dragon.

4. Eat pizza.
5. ???

6. Profit. Or should that be prophet?
Discostew

Post by Discostew »

Obbl wrote:
Gren wrote:That 7th panel was a futile attempt to contradict what I said in the previous thread.
Yes, because Rick looked into the future and predicted you would be complaining and wrote that in just for you. :P

Though I am also curious about his "7000" year plan, considering how much seemed to be desperate acts up till now. (Maybe he's trying to sound all smart in front of King? :? )
I noticed the number 7 being thrown around. 7 months. 7,000 years. I wonder if he is speaking in a dog's frame of time? 1 human year is equal to 7 dog years, so by conversion, 7 dog months is about equal to 0.72 human months. Of course we weren't given a conversion factor to equate the passage of time in the realm where Bailey and Pete will be vs the one where King is, only that the 7 months would be about a couple years. Assuming 2, since that is what a couple is. so 2 dog years is about 2.28 human months. If the arc were to run in real time based on this conversion, the duel will end in about 9 weeks....

...why am I doing this?......
valerio wrote:Pete promised that at this point King could keep his life AND his wife... But that contradicts what just happened, by separating them and not for a short time!
King will have everything back when the final part of the Game is over. In the meantime, being him technically a Third Party in the game, Pete's best option, now that he isn't under magical restrictions anymore, is to turn the dog back into a human and put him out of any possible interference.
Our only hope, should this come to be (Rick give us a Sunday strip YESTERDAY!), is that somehow Joel teams up with Sabrina or perhaps even Keene (owner of a piece of Pete's magic) to get back in the Game and get Bailey back.
Separated from his wife, yes, but technically not losing her, at least in the way of never seeing her again and whatnot...at least that's what I think unless this duel is meant to the death or something.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

In regards to some of the the comments of the recent strips, I personally like these arcs for their branch away from the usual slice of life stuff. They're kinda like a mini series that takes place within the real timeline of the comic. Though I will admit that this arc in particular feels a little bit off and out of place. Most of the King arcs hold more serious, emotional, or "stuffs gettin' real" elements, but this is happening so fast and became so serious and emotional that it feels a little forced. However, this could also mean that the Cosmic Nerd storyline is at it's finale. I don't think the arc is going to end soon, if it is, then this is being stretched out for longer than necessary. If it goes on longer, but has another arc (if the 7 months thing is in mortal time) then it would be understandable, but not favored. I'd rather have this settled now in one long arc than having a bunch of regular fun arcs while knowing that things are going to become super dramatic at any moment. It would just seem to wonk up the mood of the story.

And on the note of people saying that these events are too predictable or follow tropes, what story doesn't do that? There will usually always be two or three outcomes in any situation, but we know them because we've been around long enough to have experienced them or seen someone do it before this. In this case, you will almost ALWAYS find something predictable because you can already guess the possibilities. Unless of course something odd (stay with me here) happens like Grape bursting in with a broom and bapping Pete on the head, but then it would be called jumping the shark. Also, saying that you predicted something in a negative way or that this is following a trope in every other strip is unnecessary, WE GOT THAT THE FIRST TEN TIMES IF NOT JUST BY READING THE ARC. If everyone did that for every arc these comment sections would be far to ridiculous to read. I'm not saying you cant say your opinion but GEEZ it just seems like your spamming us with fun killing facts constantly!
ImageImageImageImage
MapleRatty

Post by MapleRatty »

...this is why I should never watch those cliched Spanish operas my aunt loves so much...
ConvoyWolf

Post by ConvoyWolf »

Im not gonna lie when i say this distresses me to no end. I mean Pete is such an enigma i cant get my head around him. Hes like a calm collected Discord. And as long as Bailey is in his clutches and stuff i cant help but panic a little. Love that husky girl. I do hope things work out. I really do.

And as this is my first post, Hi everyone! New die hard fan of Housepets here!
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

If King is unhappy now... Holy carp he is going to be a supercharged Dark paladin!
Well, that's if he goes to get Bailey back himself... :?
The nine-tailed Kitsune of England.
I am Kyuunado Fureatsurī!
Want to talk? PM me or message at [email protected] and add me on Google+
valerio

Post by valerio »

Kyuunado wrote:If King is unhappy now... Holy carp he is going to be a supercharged Dark paladin!
Well, that's if he goes to get Bailey back himself... :?
Pete, you have just made your most mortal enemy now. Let the lesson be learnt the HARDEST way! :twisted: :twisted:
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

ConvoyWolf wrote:Im not gonna lie when i say this distresses me to no end. I mean Pete is such an enigma i cant get my head around him. Hes like a calm collected Discord. And as long as Bailey is in his clutches and stuff i cant help but panic a little. Love that husky girl. I do hope things work out. I really do.

And as this is my first post, Hi everyone! New die hard fan of Housepets here!
Welcome, ConvoyWolf! I hope you enjoy your stay and make new acquaintances! :D
And yes, I worry about the events to come. Because it seems that no matter what they do, Pete has already planned for it!
I hope he doesn't see Bailey's spirit-powered
"FACE!" punch coming. :)
ImageImageImageImage
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

I guessing Kitsune will allow King to intervene, there isn't really anyone else who can give him access to dimensional teleportation.
I can't wait to see how this turns out! *tails wag excitedly*
The nine-tailed Kitsune of England.
I am Kyuunado Fureatsurī!
Want to talk? PM me or message at [email protected] and add me on Google+
valerio

Post by valerio »

Kyuunado wrote:I guessing Kitsune will allow King to intervene, there isn't really anyone else who can give him access to dimensional teleportation.
I can't wait to see how this turns out! *tails wag excitedly*
King should be allowed to intervene anyway: he is technically a Third Party in the Game. AND he has his own Fate in his hands. Even if Pete has transformed him back into Joel, King has the option of being a dog, Pete or not.

Anyway, at least we know we have until June 3rd before some serious resolutions: 7 comics filled with the most powerful emotional rollercoaster so far. Bravo, Mr. Griffin!
Brendmar

Post by Brendmar »

OK, so here is my deal about things. By looking at the pattern established by the rest of the comic, there is a resolution coming, conflicts established in an arc, end there. The story may span several arcs but overall, trouble started, ends. And the story's haven't (at least for me), had a "bad" ending. An analogy I thought of is this: imagine a wide and dark hallway. And the far end of this hallway is a door emiting a bright light. On the other side of the light is the resolution. Right now its far away and youre deep in the dark. So, you take a step closer. The light gets bigger, brighter. But as a result we perceive that the darkness is getting darker. But we see the hope ahead. So we keep stepping. Light brighter, dark darker. Eventually you may start to fear that the darkness may overtake the light again. And then you get through that door, see the glorious and happy resolution and look back at how silly you were about the darkness. Sometimes I may feel mad about the events in the comic, but I'm not. I'm only unjustly venting about how long I have to wait before I take another step. Lol.

Keep up the amazing work Rick. I look forward to seeing where this adventure takes us.

This has been a rant by your friendly neighborhood lurker!
Skiff

Post by Skiff »

Obbl wrote:

Not every plan has needs every small detail to go right. He has King at a disadvantage, which opens up his options and thus gets Bailey. He gets an Avatar either way. And now that he has her, Pete has even more power over him unless King can find a way to beat him at his own game.

Either way, it looks like King has some 'splaining to do. Fox is going to be wondering where his cousin is...