2014/05/14 - For Love And Justice

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Dissension

2014/05/14 - For Love And Justice

Post by Dissension »

[ For Love And Justice ]

Title Text: I realized after finishing this, Bailey looks a bit like Samus in that

I told y'all there were more classes for Pete to choose from~.

Also, Bailey's armor is super-cool, awesome, and pretty sweet, isn't it?

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Iceheart

Re: 2014/05/14 - For Love And Justice

Post by Iceheart »

So I guess Pete wanted a tank-class avatar
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Ok fine I'm good with this. Armor looks really nice A+ on that.
Pladim

Post by Pladim »

Now THAT is an epic suit of armor, not to mention an equally cool sword!

(begins to draw armor for yet another story character)
I'm Blue daba dee daba die
Steps to Enlightenment brighten the way, but the stairs are steep, take them one at a time.
----------
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

Yeah that´s kinda cool ... (By that I mean is like super cool)

Now ... how is Tarot supossed to battle that ? Will she have a super robo-armor too ? ... I hope so

EDIT: Wait no, I just realize that Bailey got that amazing armor cause her class is White Avenger ... So it´ll be interesting to see how Tarot battles that
Last edited by Gbr23 on Wed May 14, 2014 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
Vyath

Post by Vyath »

Just when I think things couldn't get more intense... THIS happens. Can't wait to see where else this arc goes!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Okay this is kinda ridiculous. o.o
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Lucid_Dragon

Post by Lucid_Dragon »

Bailey looks so incredibly epic in this! The hype-meter is off the charts!

...and then the callous canary steps in and reminds everyone that, to him, Bailey is just an expendable plaything in this twisted duel.

I'm losing valuable sleep typing this (I have to wake up in about 4 hours :S), but awesome comic, Rick! Totally worth losing sleep over!

Now it's up to King to save Samu-erm-Bailey!
Last edited by Lucid_Dragon on Wed May 14, 2014 12:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Venorik

Post by Venorik »

............. Oh boy this is going to be interesting. Tarot might have her work cut out for her.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Sleet wrote:Okay this is kinda ridiculous. o.o
But a bit awesome too, eh?

It's not going how he planned
when he tried to make his stand.
Has he lost her, has King lost Bailey?
Has he lost her to the one whose wrath he
called down onto himself?
She's covered up in bright white armour
but, under that shell? Still a charmer
although possibly drunk with power.
She's his champion of the hour
She fights for him, not herself.
She has acted for her right
and her actions have saved this night
The power of love lights her way.
Now he has to save the day...
It's time for King to get off the shelf.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Sure, that doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. :roll:
But it does look like Samus's armor, so still cool.

So she has to win to keep King in his dog form. Victory is never guaranteed, though.

And honestly, I personally want to see the reactions to Joel's (possible) reappearance.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Roarin

Post by Roarin »

That transformation phase though...

Bailey looks... pretty <--------(Litotes)
"Sleep is due to me... And I have a dream to live."

Book Log: I, Claudius - Robert Graves
Ref Ref!
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Man, and here I was hoping for her to transform into She-Ra... The Bailey version. :(

I don't mind another class, honestly. I even like the name... but did she have to get a suit like that? Granted, it reminds me of Samurai Pizza Cats, but what kind of D&D class system gives people suits of armor like that out of nowhere? X3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Darastrixen

Post by Darastrixen »

I'm not entirely sure why, but I feel like it would feel more natural to just have the class be called "avenger." It's as though there's some evil version of the class they needed to name the "black avenger," which just doesn't make sense to me. But I digress, it is a small nitpick.

Also, obligatory "I told you so." I'm sorry. It was obligatory ;)
Gren

Post by Gren »

Gbr23 wrote:Now ... how is Tarot supossed to battle that ? Will she have a super robo-armor too ? ... I hope so

EDIT: Wait no, I just realize that Bailey got that amazing armor cause her class is White Avenger ... So it´ll be interesting to see how Tarot battles that
It won't be necessary. I don't know how it works in D&D, but of all the games I've played so far I've always seen the same pattern:
high leveled wizard (magical class) >> high leveled warrior (melee class)

So Tarot will have no problem to beat the carp out of her. Maybe she'd make toys with the pieces of her armors after finish her. :P

PS: The power of love... seriously? Isn't that already too cheesy and cliche? And what is supposed to avenge? :|
ImageImage
valerio

Post by valerio »

It stands to reason that Pete would give his fighting avatar only the best, according to the class. Brutal combat is serious business after all.
what upsets me about this EPIC AWESOME TRANSFORMATION is, Pete could just have explained everything in detail to King and perhaps even win his loyalty! I mean, back then King was angry against the world, he would've donned an EPIC BATTLE ARMOR just to vent years of frustration, fueled by discontend as a good Dark Paladin was supposed to, instead of being presented this Game thing as some philosopical rant that, in a nutshell appeared as 'be my pet slave or ELSE'.

Good thing that King is STILL a third party in the Game. He may prove himself to be more influential than he thinks in the upcoming arena battle. And since i totally root for Bailey, I'll throw in a Green Ward for her.
PIERULEZ

Post by PIERULEZ »

I certainly wasn't expecting this
Ryusuta

Post by Ryusuta »

Glad she ditched that helmet for now. Bit on the tacky side there, Pete!

...Oh wait. Look who I'm talking about.
Azal

Post by Azal »

Hm. I just realized, how long was this game going? King, is the important piece, the one you can't lose. With the King comes his Queen, which is the most powerful piece on the board.

The question is, how long, if at all, did Pete plan on getting King's queen?
DonnEStarside

Post by DonnEStarside »

I kinda want to kill Pete, I really do.
valerio

Post by valerio »

DonnEStarside wrote:I kinda want to kill Pete, I really do.
get yourself in line.
FelizPanthera

Post by FelizPanthera »

...Awesome. Just awesome.
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

A reward comes at the end of the game eh? Well I wonder what king will do... And what kind of beefy power up he will get. :lol:
The nine-tailed Kitsune of England.
I am Kyuunado Fureatsurī!
Want to talk? PM me or message at [email protected] and add me on Google+
Discostew

Post by Discostew »

I'm reminded of Spiderman now.

"With great power, comes great responsibility" - Uncle Ben

She's realizing the kind of power she has now. I hope it doesn't go to her head. Don't forget who you are, Bailey! I wonder how King will fight to get her back (from the clutches of the glistening hunk), because something tells me Pete has other plans.

I'm getting too anxious about how this will all play out, or.....how long it will play out, as we only get 3 comics a week, and this new development isn't likely to see an end for quite some time when other arcs need a turn too. It's not healthy for me.
w0lfmare

Post by w0lfmare »

Haha, brilliant!
I draw a comic over here http://w0lfmare.xepher.net/
Pecan
Game Master

Post by Pecan »

diss wrote:Title Text: I realized after finishing this, Bailey looks a bit like Samus in that
You mean Bailey is a girl?! *bricked*
Paige Turner - The Stargazing Polyglot! - S4 P7 E6 C4 I10 A4 L7 (SP)
Will Turner - The Timid Survivor! - S5 P4 E8 C3 I6 A10 L6 (SP)
Timothy Cotton - The Overenthusiastic Soccer Star S6 P4 E8 C5 I5 A9 L5 (Zoo)
_Stu_
Banner Artist

Post by _Stu_ »

Oh, here's Rick's anime's representation! *chuckles*

Tho, Tangen Toppa Gurren Lagann in here will break some hearts i believe. Not that i care. Nor Rick should care about it
My webcomics! Read and subscribe if you like them (or one of them), and don't forget to vote on TopWebComics!

Hedronal

Post by Hedronal »

I like that her sword even has Pete's head on the pommel, also that based on the last panel her helmet is capable of entering hammerspace.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

KingForevermore
Location: In the north eastern part of the second largest state in the US

Post by KingForevermore »

Wow! She looks awesome in that suit... i mean... BAILEY NO!!!!
The logic!?!? Where has it gone?
WhoElseButQuagmire

Post by WhoElseButQuagmire »

On one hand, it's a nice touch that her cape is the same color as her bandana .... On the other hand, NO CAPES!
Has this color ever been associated with Pete before? If so I guess that would have been a hint that Bailey was destined to join him.

Funny, I guess it was because I was reading the screen of a Mini iPad in a dark room at 2AM, but at first I thought it said [Shut Up, Y'all] instead of [Suit Up, Y'all]. :)
Ryusuta

Post by Ryusuta »

I've had to find delicate ways to say that on occasion. ...And I don't think I've done a good job breaking it gently. XD

In all seriousness, I really do hope that Pete gets an arc. Like... some actual character growth. I don't see it happening too easily because that sort of growth comes from overcoming adversity or learning something new. It's the same reason why I always DESPISED the character of Q from Star Trek. And Pete isn't even a fraction as charismatic. And I know that he CAN grow and change in spite of being a demigod, because in Dragon's last appearance she had a real emotional conversation with Max, with each of them learning and growing from it.

I feel awful ranting like this. I really do. Especially because I know both Rick and Diss both really like Pete along with several others, and I think no less of them for it and have nothing but honest respect for their feelings on this subject. But the frustration just really gets to me more and more lately. It's not a character if it shows no capacity for growth. It's just an object. A means to an end. A sometimes-humorous means to an end, but a means to an end nonetheless. I don't want Pete to be a thing. I've always liked the design of him and were he just a LITTLE bit more vulnerable - not so much that he can't be a demigod or have his snarky, selfish attitude, mind you! - he would be genuinely one of the best characters in the entire strip. But he needs CONSEQUENCES. He needs to gain something. To lose something. To have his world change just like every single other character. Because gains and losses are what DEFINE a character. Every memorable character ever written has had substantial gains and/or losses of one kind or another. This is true of both heroes and villains and everyone in between.

It kind of reminds me of what Doug Walker said regarding the Nostalgia Critic. He'd originally envisioned the character as an utterly repugnant and unlikable person; completely self-serving and uncaring of anyone but himself. But as time went on he said he realized that a character needs to grow and evolve over time. And as time went on, Nostalgia Critic began showing a little depth, a little caring, a little concern over something outside of his own little world. ...Err.... literally. And whether you like the Nostalgia Critic character or not, you must concede the point is valid about characters in general.

What I'm trying to say is, I'm really honestly hoping that there is SOMETHING that comes of this regarding Pete as a character. Forget King. Forget Fox and Bailey and Dragon and everyone else. I want PETE to have some sort of legitimate growth. Something that will define who he is and show another side to him. Because if he doesn't, by NATURE, his entire arc throughout this past half-a-decade has been a completely meaningless one from beginning to end, and he was just there as an object instead of a character. Characters aren't one-dimensional the way objects are. Even a selfish character has SOME redeeming value within himself. Because even a bad guy needs to be relatable. No matter how twisted their motives are, you need to be able to understand why they mean something to him. You need to be able to see him OUTSIDE OF THE CONTEXT OF THE EVENT.

Take away the RPG/cosmic nerd thing for a moment. With nothing to lose and nothing to win, who is Pete? What does he want? What does he care about? What does he hate? In the context of the game we know he's selfish and he wants to win the game. But then what? What does he WANT outside of this minor victory in the game? He's driven to win. He'll trample over mortals and cheat and defy the rules to win the game. But then what? Taking away the game, Pete has NO CHARACTER.

By contrast, let's take King for example. Like we did with Pete, let's ignore the most notable plot thread about him. Whereas Pete's main plot thread is the RPG, King's main plot thread is adapting to his new life as a dog. So, let's ignore that for a moment. Who is King? King is a lost soul who once had his trust so severely betrayed that he ended up lashing out irrationally at anything that reminded him of that trust. What does King want? Ultimately he wants to find that love and trust he once had as a child. What does he care about? He cares about those that showed him kindness and love when he was at his lowest point. King has ANSWERS to these very important questions. King is a CHARACTER. He's a character with flaws, virtues, depth, and personality.

I HATE characters that are written off as incorrigible jerks. Eric Cartmans, if you will. And because I have the utmost faith in Rick's writing ability, that is what is causing my frustration with this angle AND my belief that something WILL come of it all in terms of Pete. I think this is all leading up to something substantial for the one that needs it most in the entire comic. And as we've seen here, the one that needs it most isn't King or Bailey or Fox. The answer is writ plain... the answer is PEANUT.

...No wait. That's not right. Hang on.

*Shuffles notes a moment*

...The answer is PETE.

Ultimately, as the plot goes on as this arc tortures me with the desire to want to know more, I fully anticipate I'll continue to be frustrated at Pete. But I hope this clarifies WHY Pete frustrates me. It's not even the fact that he's a jerk. What frustrates me is that he is SO CLOSE to being the best character in the entire comic. He just needs the blue fairy to tap his beak and make him a real boy.
valerio

Post by valerio »

very nicely and deeply put. *applaudes*
Perhaps, during and at the end of this arc we may see just that, the steps to a growth of the snarky gryphon -who, despite his many flaws, has his own charisma.
A friend o' mine suggested that he may even be Spirit Dragon's brother, who knows? But for sure, Pete provides to be an interesting presence with lot of potentialities.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

valerio wrote:very nicely and deeply put. *applaudes*
Perhaps, during and at the end of this arc we may see just that, the steps to a growth of the snarky gryphon -who, despite his many flaws, has his own charisma.
A friend o' mine suggested that he may even be Spirit Dragon's brother, who knows? But for sure, Pete provides to be an interesting presence with lot of potentialities.
That would put a dent in Housepets! 1X.
And for some odd reason, I'm okay with that.
Acritic2

Post by Acritic2 »

Ryusuta wrote:Glad she ditched that helmet for now. Bit on the tacky side there, Pete!

...Oh wait. Look who I'm talking about.
I think the hood ought to be off too; makes her look more like a warhammer soldier without it. Plus I seeing bailey's face; it's adorable, enough said. Also I think that long scarf of hers is long enough to be made into a hood; and in my opinion would be cooler than the helmet. Hoods are awesome!
valerio wrote:
get yourself in line.
Want that task made easier? What would you like, Mark2 or a SMAW?
Jamonius

Post by Jamonius »

Well, at least Pete has the decency to send Bailey into battle properly equipped! Powered by love and fury eh? Well that does kinda fit Bailey. However, this does leave me concerned. You don't equip someone with massive heavy armor without expecting to throw that person into some very dangerous situations. This makes me think that Tarot may just be far more dangerous than she appears.
Acritic2

Post by Acritic2 »

Jamonius wrote:Well, at least Pete has the decency to send Bailey into battle properly equipped! Powered by love and fury eh? Well that does kinda fit Bailey. However, this does leave me concerned. You don't equip someone with massive heavy armor without expecting to throw that person into some very dangerous situations. This makes me think that Tarot may just be far more dangerous than she appears.
Plus seeing out OP'ed Pete made Bailey, What will Dragon do to power up Tarot?
I got a feeling this is gonna be bad, but have some epic scenes up ahead.
scenes where there is, dare I say it?

MORTAL COMBAT!!
WhoElseButQuagmire

Post by WhoElseButQuagmire »

Acritic2 wrote:
Jamonius wrote:Well, at least Pete has the decency to send Bailey into battle properly equipped! Powered by love and fury eh? Well that does kinda fit Bailey. However, this does leave me concerned. You don't equip someone with massive heavy armor without expecting to throw that person into some very dangerous situations. This makes me think that Tarot may just be far more dangerous than she appears.
Plus seeing out OP'ed Pete made Bailey, What will Dragon do to power up Tarot?
I got a feeling this is gonna be bad, but have some epic scenes up ahead.
scenes where there is, dare I say it?

MORTAL COMBAT!!
I assume Tarot's strengths would be the illusionary talents she showed in the Pridelands Imaginate, being able to twist and confuse Bailey's perceived reality in battle.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Darastrixen wrote:I'm not entirely sure why, but I feel like it would feel more natural to just have the class be called "avenger." It's as though there's some evil version of the class they needed to name the "black avenger," which just doesn't make sense to me.
There could be all kinds of Avengers. Teal Avengers. Grumpyface Avengers. Wait, I already used that one.

And I mean, you know, what about non-Sovereign Spiritualists?
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Viethra

Post by Viethra »

Nobody saw this coming. I mean, how could anyone possibly predict mecha Bailey.