2013/07/19 - Use The Doors

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
BassGroove

Re: 2013/07/19 - Use The Doors

Post by BassGroove »

Ryusuta wrote:
rickgriffin wrote:but then this comic would be MUCH too furry
I'm sorry... what? "Too... furry?"

Sorry, the concept doesn't compute. There must have been a typo there.
Too embarrassed to leave the stupidity of my original post to plague this thread any longer.
Last edited by BassGroove on Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't ever remember someone telling me they got hurt from doing something smart -Myself
Ryusuta

Post by Ryusuta »

BassGroove wrote:Furry as in anthropomorphic. Under the definition they were furries because they interacted with humans normally. If the pets were the owners of humans that would take the comic to an extreme furry tone, and that's not really the focal point of the comic...I think.
Joke status: Not gotten.
BassGroove

Post by BassGroove »

Ryusuta wrote:
BassGroove wrote:Furry as in anthropomorphic. Under the definition they were furries because they interacted with humans normally. If the pets were the owners of humans that would take the comic to an extreme furry tone, and that's not really the focal point of the comic...I think.
Oh wow never mind. Its times like this I wish I could delete my comments... :oops: :oops:
I don't ever remember someone telling me they got hurt from doing something smart -Myself
Tatsuo

Post by Tatsuo »

BassGroove wrote: Oh wow never mind. Its times like this I wish I could delete my comments... :oops: :oops:

Don't sweat it dude, most of us are nice here =). I'm sure we all have those posts we wish we could take back.
We assume so much, and know so little...
“Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend." - Albert Camus.
GarrisonSkunk

Post by GarrisonSkunk »

Xane wrote:
Gamewolf67 wrote:Dog Peanut is adorable. :D
Cat Peanut is only 75% as cute.
Cat Peanut = Joey?

There's a challenge for Rick....a visit to a universe where Peanut, Tarot, Bino and Fido are cats, and Grape, Sabrina, Max and the Bigglesworths are dogs :)
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

GarrisonSkunk wrote:There's a challenge for Rick....a visit to a universe where Peanut, Tarot, Bino and Fido are cats, and Grape, Sabrina, Max and the Bigglesworths are dogs :)
How about a universe where Peanut, Max, King, Fido, Bino, and Fox are female and Grape, Tarot, Sabrina, Bailey, Sasha, and Daisy are male?
Last edited by Saturn381 on Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BassGroove

Post by BassGroove »

Tatsuo wrote:
BassGroove wrote: Oh wow never mind. Its times like this I wish I could delete my comments... :oops: :oops:

Don't sweat it dude, most of us are nice here =). I'm sure we all have those posts we wish we could take back.
I've had my fair share. On other forums though. Its nice not being flamed as some would do. :D
Liam

Post by Liam »

The anthropic principle, Tarot. Duh.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
Argent

Post by Argent »

BassGroove wrote:Oh wow never mind. Its times like this I wish I could delete my comments... :oops: :oops:
Replace the comment with a quote from the Principia Discordia.

Five tons of flax!
Liam wrote:The anthropic principle, Tarot. Duh.
The anthropic principle doesn't explain why we are not furred octopi living under three moons in an ocean of molten sulfur. Let alone why we have thumbs.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Poor Grape, she seems overwhelmed at all of this new information.

They really need to get out of that road. They are hard to spot being so close to the ground.

Peanut is looking barrel chested here, moreso than usual.
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
xhunterko

Post by xhunterko »

It would be adorable to see Grape and Peanut (for some reason) snuggle in these forms.
TheOne
Location: Trapped in the center of the Galaxy. Need a starship to get out!

Post by TheOne »

xhunterko wrote:It would be adorable to see Grape and Peanut (for some reason) snuggle in these forms.
We came close in Wednesday's comic to what I wanted to see. As Peanut has his paw on Grape's back, it slides back to her tail. Grape has a momentary "Processing" moment, and then says, "can you do that again?" By the way, this is supposed to be comparable to the "kitty moments" in "Puss in Boots" which was PG.
Dag nabbed petty annoyances...
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

xhunterko wrote:It would be adorable to see Grape and Peanut (for some reason) snuggle in these forms.
I think everyone would like to see all four of them snuggle at some point in this arc. But nothing beats... the cat snuggles. =3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Gren

Post by Gren »

GameCobra wrote: But nothing beats... the cat snuggles. =3
They disagree =P

ImageImage
Ryusuta

Post by Ryusuta »

BassGroove wrote:
Ryusuta wrote:
Oh wow never mind. Its times like this I wish I could delete my comments... :oops: :oops:
Don't give it a second thought. I was just having fun with you. =)
colliefan

Post by colliefan »

I wonder if there's a Universe where they swap genders?
Colliefan, the name says it all.
Formerly SP.
BassGroove

Post by BassGroove »

I don't feel nearly as bad about my earlier comment now.
Last edited by BassGroove on Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snakebug

Post by snakebug »

Wait, what if there was a universe where cat lovers were aloud? And the drawing of the cat from the arc "Cat-Tail" Was alive?
In this world there are two types of people my friend.

Those with loaded guns and those who dig.

YOU DIG
Gren

Post by Gren »

snakebug wrote:Wait, what if there was a universe where cat lovers were aloud? And the drawing of the cat from the arc "Cat-Tail" Was alive?
Excuse me, but have you been smoking catnip? :roll:
ImageImage
snakebug

Post by snakebug »

Gren wrote:
snakebug wrote:Wait, what if there was a universe where cat lovers were aloud? And the drawing of the cat from the arc "Cat-Tail" Was alive?
Excuse me, but have you been smoking catnip? :roll:
]

Nah, unless I could do that through osmosis.
In this world there are two types of people my friend.

Those with loaded guns and those who dig.

YOU DIG
Azsassin

Post by Azsassin »

Ok grape calm down, be a good purple cat
Never join something you can't quit. Join something you will stay in.
~Kevin Fan~
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Tarot should know we are special just because... at least, that is how most humans think.... I think.
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
Gren

Post by Gren »

copper wrote:Tarot should know we are special just because... at least, that is how most humans think.... I think.
We are special because we have alien ancestry. :o

Or maybe in this world gods didn't like furry animals.
ImageImage
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

The whole age and evolution thing.

Stupid science. (Not really. I love you, science.)
Gren

Post by Gren »

GameCobra wrote:The whole age and evolution thing.

You say that but I'm pretty sure no one would like to be dominated by some doggies or kitties with spears and tribal clothes. :P
ImageImage
Arbitrary

Post by Arbitrary »

copper wrote:Tarot should know we are special just because... at least, that is how most humans think.... I think.
I think (speak, have thumbs on feet) therefore I am special. That is what most humans think.

If run of the mill housepets actually were sentient and could vocalize I think humanity as a whole would have their work cut out for them.
Image I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
Gren

Post by Gren »

Humans are special because we have ambitions, we seek progress in order to have a better life. That's the reason why humans reign in this world.
In housepets, animals are conformists, always happy of the life they have. Since they never bothered themselves to reach a better life, they came to a standstill meanwhile humans kept evolving, showing better skills to adapt in different environments and situations, as develop a better intellect (and that's why everything in this world is created by humans).
However, through the pass of time, having long ago been domesticated by humans, animals (today called as pets) began to feel fond to human culture and are trying to be like them more and more. You could say they are putting aside their roots in order to be more humanish (and that's probably what Pete and Dragon wants but through different means).
ImageImage
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Gren wrote:Humans are special because we have ambitions, we seek progress in order to have a better life. That's the reason why humans reign in this world.
In housepets, animals are conformists, always happy of the life they have. Since they never bothered themselves to reach a better life, they came to a standstill meanwhile humans kept evolving, showing better skills to adapt in different environments and situations, as develop a better intellect (and that's why everything in this world is created by humans).
However, through the pass of time, having long ago been domesticated by humans, animals (today called as pets) began to feel fond to human culture and are trying to be like them more and more. You could say they are putting aside their roots in order to be more humanish (and that's probably what Pete and Dragon wants but through different means).
Wow. That actually sounds like a great and accurate explanation. It does explain really well why pets such as Sasha stays with her owner, and why Miles was intrigued enough to move his pack to live among humans.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Arbitrary

Post by Arbitrary »

I was thinking something more along the lines of learned helplessness although I wouldn't go as far to say it is Stockholm syndrome. The reason we have art, cars, even the internet is that these things were born out of necessity. But since humans are conscious on top of being intelligent (you cannot deny smart animals exist out there), we have, and demand, aesthetics (when a preference for say, color, has no survival value but it is just a nice color). Really a critical reallocation of brain mass is what sets us apart, at least cognitively. I was never one for anthropomorphic centrism.
Gren wrote:In housepets, animals are conformists, always happy of the life they have.
You can say being sedentary has driven the desire to innovate, at least in humanity. While that is true, like you said, in the case of the Housepets! they have become content, the idea that this is the best of all possible worlds.
BassGroove

Post by BassGroove »

Arbitrary wrote:I was thinking something more along the lines of learned helplessness although I wouldn't go as far to say it is Stockholm syndrome. The reason we have art, cars, even the internet is that these things were born out of necessity. But since humans are conscious on top of being intelligent (you cannot deny smart animals exist out there), we have, and demand, aesthetics (when a preference for say, color, has no survival value but it is just a nice color). Really a critical reallocation of brain mass is what sets us apart, at least cognitively. I was never one for anthropomorphic centrism.
Gren wrote:In housepets, animals are conformists, always happy of the life they have.
You can say being sedentary has driven the desire to innovate, at least in humanity. While that is true, like you said, in the case of the Housepets! they have become content, the idea that this is the best of all possible worlds.
Sounds like a setup for a HP! Revolution arc.
Gren

Post by Gren »

Arbitrary wrote:Really a critical reallocation of brain mass is what sets us apart, at least cognitively. I was never one for anthropomorphic centrism.
But if we had never had these hands we wouldn't been able to evolve the way we did. It's not just about our brain, but it's also thanks to our thumbs the reason why we have all these things every day. So sorry if you don't like the idea but our anthropomorphic shape was part of the reason of our evolution.
Besides, I think it's not just a matter of brain size, because it's known that we only use ten percent of our capacity. Even you said it, there exist some intelligent animals who are able to use parts of their brain that in our case are locked for unknown reasons (except for some special people who are capable to do it and are called superhumans for that reason).
Arbitrary wrote:
Sedentarism doesn't have anything to do. We invent and innovate from the beginning of times, because that's the way we always had to get a more confortable life and to reach supremacy over other tribes and now nations around the world (it's part of human nature).
In housepets world, pets began to imitate humans because they got used to their way of life. They learned that this is a better and more exciting way to live, not to mention that with all the amenities have a greater chance of survival and a increased life expectancy.
ImageImage
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Gren wrote:
GameCobra wrote:The whole age and evolution thing.

You say that but I'm pretty sure no one would like to be dominated by some doggies or kitties with spears and tribal clothes. :P
Give them modern day technology and human-like intellect with the added bonus of being adorably cute snugglers, then we might have a debate on our hands. =P
Gren wrote:Sedentarism doesn't have anything to do. We invent and innovate from the beginning of times, because that's the way we always had to get a more confortable life and to reach supremacy over other tribes and now nations around the world (it's part of human nature).
In housepets world, pets began to imitate humans because they got used to their way of life. They learned that this is a better and more exciting way to live, not to mention that with all the amenities have a greater chance of survival and a increased life expectancy.
That pretty much sums up a good portion of why the pets might likely be where they are at in this comic. They have grown too lax to what they have already.
Gren

Post by Gren »

GameCobra wrote:Give them modern day technology and human-like intellect with the added bonus of being adorably cute snugglers, then we might have a debate on our hands. =P
So you're basically saying that you'd like to be enslaved and tamed by some anthropomorphic animals? :shock:
Sorry but I can't support you this time, I love my freedom. :lol:
Besides, animal faces in RL aren't as expressive as those of humans so it wouldn't be as cute as you think. (And you imagine them eating at a table, tearing raw meat with their fangs, chewing with their mouth open and dropping small pieces on the plate? That would be gross XD).
ImageImage
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Gren wrote:So you're basically saying that you'd like to be enslaved and tamed by some anthropomorphic animals? :shock:
Sorry but I can't support you this time, I love my freedom. :lol:
Phff. No. But I am saying the idea of seeing such a development would be amusing, considering we don't really know what could happen if such development happened. Also, who is to say they would enslave us? I'm just saying the idea sounds nice because for all we know, there could be something from another specie's perspective that we don't know that would be interesting.

Also ~ I value my freedom and I enjoy the current way life is. I just love being a theorist. :D
TheOne
Location: Trapped in the center of the Galaxy. Need a starship to get out!

Post by TheOne »

I won't speak for the HP world, but really the reason that humans are set apart is because we were originally made after the image of God Himself. In Genesis, it is written, "And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness..."
This was the only time I am aware of that a created being was made in God's image. Angels sometimes took on human-ish form, but nothing I'm aware of states outright that they were originally created in that form.
Now we get to an interesting part: Adam was created as a "likeness" of God's image. Consider it a sort of mirror-image if you will. Eve was created as the female counterpart to Adam. So while Adam was a mirror image of God, Eve was a mirror image of Adam. I kindof think like this: Adam was a glass mirror image and Eve was the image you might see in a clear, still, pond. Both are likenesses of the original, but each have their differences.

Another point of interest is this: when Adam and Eve sinned, they lost part of their original image. To use the analogy again, Adam got a crack in his mirror and Eve lost a bucket of water from her pond.

And the last point I'll make is in Genesis 5:3 "And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness, after his image; and called his name Seth:"

Now examine this carefully. Whose image did Seth have? The verse says Adam had a son in Adam's image. And what image was that? The answer is that Adam gave Seth the 'cracked mirror' image that Adam was reduced to when Adam and Eve sinned. This 'cracked mirror' image has also been passed to human ever born.
Romans 5:12 says "Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:"

So to sum it all up:
1. Man is above the animals not because of evolution, but because we were originally created as a mirror image of God.

2. At the fall of mankind, a 'crack in the mirror' was placed in mankind's image.

3. That 'crack' was passed on to every human ever born.

4. Though we have a 'crack in our mirror' we are still made in the likeness of God. Therefore we are still above and separate from the animals based on our original standing at creation.
Dag nabbed petty annoyances...
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Let's keep in mind that discussion of potentially controversial topics, including religion and evolution, is not allowed here. Future posts on those topics will be handled accordingly.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Arbitrary

Post by Arbitrary »

I apologize for prolonging this off-topic topic. Back to how adorable Grape is.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I predict Grape being very suspicious of humans in the future, but mostly for comedic purposes. I hope we see some Grape antics in the future where Jill and Earl are somehow noticing Grape has been watching what they are doing very carefully lately... *Gasp* What if it's the haircuts?!?
Argent

Post by Argent »

Simply having a longer lifespan could explain most of it. HP! animals don't live long enough to get the same kind of experience as a human. Their "elders" are no older than young adult humans. They have less future to plan for.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @