2013/08/21 - Running Is Good For Your Health

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
LionWolfHybrid

Re: 2013/08/21 - Running Is Good For Your Health

Post by LionWolfHybrid »

I'm kind of starting to think Max and Grape need to break up from what's happening here, honestly...
Since you're reading this...
Am I the only person who can juggle here?
Wolves are boss.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

If only so Grapenut can happen. :3
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
tenta

Post by tenta »

LionWolfHybrid wrote:I'm kind of starting to think Max and Grape need to break up from what's happening here, honestly...

As i can see. Its going worse and worse so yeah, i agree. Grapenut need to happen at some point.
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

LionWolfHybrid wrote:I'm kind of starting to think Max and Grape need to break up from what's happening here, honestly...
I disagree. You wouldn´t break up with someone just because ONE single date didn´t went as expected
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
Tatsuo

Post by Tatsuo »

Yes
Sleet wrote:If only so Grapenut can happen. :3

And a big yes to that :P .

Gbr23 wrote:I disagree. You wouldn´t break up with someone just because ONE single date didn´t went as expected

We've seen Max be Max before, just not as extreme as this. Maybe this one date was a screw up, but a lot of the dumb things he's been doing has been adding up. He is very prideful, and Grape is getting tired of it.
We assume so much, and know so little...
“Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend." - Albert Camus.
valerio

Post by valerio »

I fear that in the end Grape will vent against Peanut and Tarot for this epic failure. :cry:
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Oh come on Max, just admit defeat and give Grape an apology grin so it can melt her heart and show her your humility. :roll:

Face-Chewing is no joke! That is cannibalism!
IceKitsune wrote:Welp I knew he was going to act that way. I really don't think that these date could get much worse at this point; except for one thing, perhaps it was never Sabrina who was nearly going to drown but instead it was Max. Think about it, Tarot did say that her powers of future sight haven't been that good since her and Dragon started fighting, but what if they have been fighting for quite some time before that one off. When she looked into the future she could have just seen a black cat drowning and assumed it was Sabrina.
I wouldn't say that... Tarot was reading Sabrina's personal fortune, not making a general premonition, so I would think that even with impaired abilities, she probably could not mistake Sabrina for Max in that instance...
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
Argent

Post by Argent »

Catibalism?

At least Max seems to stay on good terms with his exes.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Liam

Post by Liam »

The take home of this arc is: don't be a cat.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

You guys are jerks. D:

Despite their bad luck and Max's attitude, I doubt their relationship is going to be hurt much, might even have a saving grace by the end of this arc. Although I also wonder if Grape is as forgiving as Bailey was with King? Looking back at Max's humbleness, I forgot he did apologize to Grape before, but I wonder if Max is just trying too hard to be much more reliable? I think both of them are going to apologize for their behavior by the end of this arc.

Also, alt-text suddenly made me think of Whose Line is it Anyway? ~ And Ryan Stiles puts a open-mouthed black cat on his face and says "I had that"
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Gamewolf67

Post by Gamewolf67 »

I just realized the rain was caused by the Cosmic Dragon. :idea:
Feel my icy wrath!
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Liam wrote:The take home of this arc is: don't be a cat.
-_- ........ nope, I'm pretty sure it's "don't go to the Galifrax dimension when you ain't from the Galifrax dimension ". :D
ImageImageImageImage
Ryusuta

Post by Ryusuta »

CHAOKOCartoons wrote:
-_- ........ nope, I'm pretty sure it's "don't go to the Galifrax dimension when you ain't from the Galifrax dimension ". :D
You're BOTH wrong. The point here is "Don't follow Max's plans when dating."
tenta

Post by tenta »

Ryusuta wrote:
CHAOKOCartoons wrote:
Ryusuta won. Literally.
TheOne
Location: Trapped in the center of the Galaxy. Need a starship to get out!

Post by TheOne »

Ryusuta wrote:
CHAOKOCartoons wrote:
You guys remind me of Rocky & Bullwinkle, with their alternate episode titles. I've got a couple tho':
When in Gallifrax, do as the Gallifraxians do.

OR

Big girls dragons don't cry.
Dag nabbed petty annoyances...
Argent

Post by Argent »

Haddock's Eyes, or A-sitting on a gate.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Maxwell is such a wonderful, complicated character. Truthfully, I don't really like him. He's smug, snarky, shallow, insecure as all blazes, selfish, pseudosophisticated, malaprop, cowardly, and manipulative. He's inept at seduction, not for trying [sometimes pushing the strip's PG boundaries], a mean-spirited tease, and apparently has both gambling and katnip weaknesses. Grape may not be a "Lady", but Maxwell's definitely a "Tramp".

And then...frustrated and defeated and humiliated before Grape and Peanut...he drops all the pretenses, makes himself totally vulnerable, and pours his whole being out like a saint's tears. His cry of pain and perplexion, the hurt, loneliness, and sense of failure, is unexpected and deeply moving. And then Max reminds us of his self-depreciating sense of irony when his agonized confessional despite in an "Outer Limits" white-out [from alone to abandoned]. Spirit Dragon's terse, tearful attempt at comfort is more cosmic than reassuring, but she tries. Grape's tenderness helps, but there is a deeper level of insecurit in Maxwell she cannot reach or won't perhaps yet go.

CAD that he is, there's something about Maxwell you want to love. On the way home from the book signing, while Grape is sobbing over wrecking the wonderful relationship she might have had with Res, Maxwell shows no concern for her heartbreak. Instead, he seems only to care for his own position in Grape's hierarchy of affection and teasing out how big a threat Res is to him. (Contrast Maxwell's possessiveness with the grace and humility of Peanut who helped Grape doll-up for her first date with Maxwell even while his puppy heart was breaking.) Maxwell is so obtuse and insensitive Jill Sandwich snaps at him and Grape is enraged. Just what you might expect from shallow, selfish ol' Maxie.

Then he does it again...Maxwell breaks out of the comic foil character we expect. In an eerie (ironic?) replay of how he first came to Grape as a suitor, Maxwell shows up at the Sandwich door, soaked, freezing, pathetic, braced for Grape's scorn and fury. He discovered a note from Res to the purple cat, telling her just what she wanted to hear, that he wants to be Grape's friend. Grape is. Moved to tears by this unexpected Christmas gift, but also touched by Maxwell's self-sacrificing kindness towards her and towards his possible rival. Peanut, overcome with delight at Grape's joy and Maxwell's unselfish display of affection for his beloved purple chum, grabs up both cats in rapturous GROUP HUG!!!. Forgiveness and cold paws for Christmas.

Perhaps what makes Maxwell so intriguing is that maybe he really is a just a little shmuck, subject to occasional unguarded outbursts of depth and decency. Or maybe, like a lot of us, he's a scrambled, flawed creature trying hesitantly to become a better feline than he's been (ask Sabrina!). His goofy struggle with that soul-building process makes Maxwell fascinating, annoying, funny ... And sometimes really poignant. Regards.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

sirbacon wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:02 am Poor, poor Maxwell.
Yeah, I miss Maxy.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm sure he is still in Heaven but not dead and just visiting and enjoying everything and seeing Rufus again.