2013/08/26 - Private Space

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Felphor

Re: 2013/08/26 - Private Space

Post by Felphor »

Saturn381 wrote:You know I just thought of something. It seems Max disappeared from the group while he was talking. What if Grape got the part where he said how does a god feel pain but never the part where he said he doesn't think he's not good enough? Oh man would that suck!
That would be very interesting... wonder what she would say.
Yeah, I Like Pokemon!
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

She would've at least been able to hear everything up to the point where he said "Because you're not good enough for everyone", which is fine. I'm sure she would've gotten enough of the hint at that point, but i'm just curious if he said it loud enough for her to hear it since the text started to get small? That would suck =(
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Serence Frostbite »

actually it seems he's still there when he said the "because you're not good enough for the one you love" , since there were still background and stuff , unless dragon decide to fade out the others first :?
TheOne
Location: Trapped in the center of the Galaxy. Need a starship to get out!

Post by TheOne »

Render wrote:
Will we ever find out what happend to his ear? And what happend to his ear?
Maybe Max's name used to be Sue?
G'aunt_The_Overlord wrote: But Peon just sounds slightly dirty...
Peon may sound dirty, but it is an actual word in the English dictionary.

From Google:
pe·on /ˈpēˌän, ˈpēən/

noun: peon; a Spanish-American day laborer or unskilled farm worker.

historical: a debtor held in servitude by a creditor, esp. in the southern US and Mexico.

a person who does menial work; a drudge.

So it's passable, although I wouldn't want to accuse either character of being one.
GarrisonSkunk wrote: And yet...no one gets behind GraPete.....
I only speak for myself here, but I always considered one of the "rules" to be that I needed to break up the letters of the names somehow, unless the funny factor can be invoked. (Example: Grapenut. There, one name is intact but the other is broken. And the funny factor is invoked because it's a play on the breakfast cereal.) Grapete is ok, too, because if pronounced "grape-ette" it invokes the funny factor because Grape is about as tomcatboy-ish as they come. But personally, I'm already a Grapenut/Axon fan, so no matter how good the name is, you probably won't bring me aboard.
Nohbody wrote:
JohnRichardEllis wrote:
Nohbody wrote: The novelization of the TNG finale connects [Trelane and Q].

Trelane is DeLancie-Q's illegitimate child, IIRC.
Not quite. That was from Peter David's original novel Q-Squared which came out around the same time TNG finale and the film Generations did.

Like most of the novels not actually adaptations of the episodes or films, its canonicity is left to the reader to decide.
Quelle surprise, I misremembered... :P

It was like 20 years ago, give me a break.
You can have as many Kit-Kats as you like from the vending machine, but don't expect me to pay for them.

By the way, the book you referenced is part of a trilogy involving a heavy discussion between Q and Picard. Essentially Q brought in 3 superbiengs via the Guardian. Their names were Gorgon, TheOne (who spoke in KJV English, and became the floating head locked in the center of the galaxy, and yes that's where I lifted my username from) and (*).
During the course of the trilogy, Q was shown how to "test" a society. Namely, the TKon Empire. (which showed up in the tv series.) Gorgon squeezed their sun, causing its life cycle to accelerate. The Empire built a massive teleporter around a nearby sun, which would've saved them. Q rejoiced at the Empire's efforts, but Gorgon stepped in and crushed their sun before the Empire could activate their teleporter. (A loose end was left at the end of the last book.) Q was shocked and confused at Gorgon's actions and asked him how many races had survived his "tests." Gorgon gave Q the evil smile. Almost immediately, Q called for help. A battle ensued between another Q being and the three that Q had brought in. The results were that Gorgon was locked outside the galaxy, TheOne was reduced to a floating head at the center of the galaxy, (which explains the floating head in The Undiscovered Country.) Gorgon was locked outside the galaxy, and (*) escaped.
The intro to the trilogy is that a scientist is brought aboard the Enterprise D, and an attempt is made to penetrate the great barrier at the outside of the galaxy. Q shows up and demands that Picard not take the Enterprise outside the barrier. At some point Q takes Picard into the Q continuum and shows him the above backstory. Later the Enterprise is taken through a weak spot in the barrier, and Gorgon comes aboard and scares the *ahem* out of Q. The other Q comes in and beats Gorgon, locking him outside the barrier again, and strengthening it again.
Dag nabbed petty annoyances...
Nightfirex

Post by Nightfirex »

GameCobra posted:
@NightFirex: I'm sure Dragon will learn something from it, but whether it will be more mature or childish depends on her views or the comic. Comically, I would picture her being the type that will still act like a crush towards Peanut, but do the same thing to Maxwell at this point as well. Maturely, she might instead start thinking about supporting Peanut and even Max up to this point. (I always thought of her as the god-like shipper =3)

If Dragon does end up looking for a new avatar, which I still have doubts about, chances are we'll be exploring this change in the future similar to how we get quite a bit of exposition on Pete.
I agreed that Dragon will something from all this.. the question become will she learn the "right" thing. Comically her having a crush over Max would be kinda cute and funny cause he was willing to wake her up. Maturely, I still thing she would detach herself from Tarot and Grape for one to not get jealous and two to avoid more pain for crush feelings she had for him. For we know that she doesn't know that Pete put a time limit on him forfeiting the game. So to her she still has time to get a new avatar cause Pete technically still doesn't have one yet. So this new revelation that Dragon power on the mortal plane has weaken if Pete finds out will allow him to give them the happy ending that he want to be brought about and make dragon mortal to boot. So I believe I have a clue on what may happen but it going to depend a couple of factor that may not even happen till several arcs later down the line. But I am sure that King is going to rush into a choice he not prepare for, and he will have to wake up as well to realize, that if he want to win this game he going to have to start understanding the rules.
lunykstormdragon

Post by lunykstormdragon »

Am I the only one thinking that, since Dragon will surely be angry at/feel betrayed by Tarot, and ses starting to sympathize with Max, that maybe Maxwell will become Spirit Dragon's new avatar? That would be an interesting parallel, going from Peanut's girlfriend to Grape's boyfriend, and we do still need to see more on the avatar process! I dunno, it definitely feels possible. Any thoughts?
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Serence Frostbite »

yes I actually think that too
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Same here.
TheOne
Location: Trapped in the center of the Galaxy. Need a starship to get out!

Post by TheOne »

@ lunykstormdragon:

I thought (and still kindof think) that Dragon might ask Max to be her Avatar, but I suspect there would've been some more exposition and conversation between D&M in this arc if she was going to do that. Dragon might still consider Max as an avatar, but remember she already has Sabrina in training.

That brings up a question: if Tarot was completely severed from Dragon's powers, would she be on an equal level as Sabrina?

...And suddenly I'm the only one on the forum while everyone else is doing the 5 second refresh on the comic page...
Dag nabbed petty annoyances...
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

I don't know why people would start refreshing so early; the comic updates at Midnight...

In any case, Sabrina would be next in line to be Dragon's avatar. She is Tarot's apprentice, after all...

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Dissension wrote:I don't know why people would start refreshing so early; the comic updates at Midnight...

In any case, Sabrina would be next in line to be Dragon's avatar. She is Tarot's apprentice, after all...
It's their appreciation of the work. They're anxious to know what happens next. (Updates at 0600 here.)
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Alucai Vivorvel

Post by Alucai Vivorvel »

1) spirit dragon is really cute in anthro form.
2a) ouch, poor Peanut, he got torn in... what is that, thirds?
2b) Dragon must really be hurting right now... I just want to go in there and hug her
3) Rick, this has become a bit of a running gag now, hasn't it? I must say, I really hope there ends up being a time when that is about to happen, and then for whatever reason, they don't end up waking up.
Maybe they take the red pill after having it explained to them that the blue pill is a suppository, I dunno.
(Reference: Awkward Zombie - Rabbit Hole)
RainbowDragon

Post by RainbowDragon »

Oh, she is a teenage dragon, now it makes a bit of sense...
No, scratch that. since when did teenager made sense at all...?