2013/10/18 - Empty White Room

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Hedronal

Re: 2013/10/18 - Empty White Room

Post by Hedronal »

Gamewolf67 wrote:Wow...so Sasha's dated every male dog in HP? Mind=BLOWN! :shock:
Nearly every, some were speed dates. She has not dated Tiger, Joey/friends, or Peanut.
Stuff.

Post by Stuff. »

Gren wrote:Not me, I don't want her to die. I prefer to see the moment when her knight in shiny armor saves her just in time before the tragedy and then a bit of suspense by applying the CPR.
That's another thing I'm expecting to happen in some way.
CHAOKOCartoons wrote:I like how much we look into such a small thing that may or may not have just been a joke, plus for all we know she could have already nearly drowned between arcs! :lol:
I have to admit, I find it pretty funny, since it's like for some reason we want bad things to happen to this character

But really, though, it would be a neat Continuity Nod with some story potential
*cough*
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

Gren wrote:Not me, I don't want her to die. I prefer to see the moment when her knight in shiny armor saves her just in time before the tragedy and then a bit of suspense by applying the CPR.
Her fate is to nearly drown. She's not going to die from that. (here)
CHAOKOCartoons wrote:I like how much we look into such a small thing that may or may not have just been a joke, plus for all we know she could have already nearly drowned between arcs! :lol:
That's really true. This was such a small note in between, but is well remembered because it was a little strange prediction. Sure it could already happened off-screen and I wouldn't wonder if Rick decided to do it that way. Maybe we'll hear about it after this arc in an one-off.
Stuff. wrote:I have to admit, I find it pretty funny, since it's like for some reason we want bad things to happen to this character
And you are right. can't remember that lot's of people did want to harm or let harm any characters. Now we have three of them together. Sabrina to nearly drown and Keene and Jata to be eaten, bitten, hiten, punched, or whatever... Strange.
ImageIf life gives you lemons, ask for salt and tequila.

Image Image
ImageImageImage
WhoElseButQuagmire

Post by WhoElseButQuagmire »

Render wrote:
Her fate is to nearly drown. She's not going to die from that. (here)
That's really true. This was such a small note in between, but is well remembered because it was a little strange prediction. Sure it could already happened off-screen and I wouldn't wonder if Rick decided to do it that way. Maybe we'll hear about it after this arc in an one-off.
Stuff. wrote:I have to admit, I find it pretty funny, since it's like for some reason we want bad things to happen to this character
And you are right. can't remember that lot's of people did want to harm or let harm any characters. Now we have three of them together. Sabrina to nearly drown and Keene and Jata to be eaten, bitten, hiten, punched, or whatever... Strange.
Well....The strip never really had a villain before...although I'm sure people wanted to pluck out Pete's feathers from time to time. Also if you look back at the comments, people wanted to do a number of things to Joel before he turned all cute 'n kuddly.
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

WhoElseButQuagmire wrote:Well....The strip never really had a villain before...although I'm sure people wanted to pluck out Pete's feathers from time to time. Also if you look back at the comments, people wanted to do a number of things to Joel before he turned all cute 'n kuddly.
You are right, not to forget that beating Bino is a well accepted practice. But three victims combined at the same time... that's quiet unusual.
ImageIf life gives you lemons, ask for salt and tequila.

Image Image
ImageImageImage
deepskycyan

Post by deepskycyan »

Wait wait wait what? Sabrina hasn't nearly drowned yet?

Okay, so in this strip
https://www.housepetscomic.com/2010/08/18/in-bed/
Tarot makes a prediction, and sees that Sabrina will nearly drown "three years from now"
And as you can see, that strip came out on the 18th of August, 2010

So...almost exactly three years from that strip, we have THIS STRIP
https://www.housepetscomic.com/2013/08/ ... the-house/
Which came out on the 19th of August, 2013

Seeing that the strip was focused on dragon being rejected by peanut, and dragon crying her eyes out, I just kinda assumed that Sabrina had nearly drowned off-screen, off-gallifrax?

Also the forum link for said strip is "click this link to escape the flood "

Just my thoughts :3
"Reality continues to ruin my life." -B. Watterson
WhoElseButQuagmire

Post by WhoElseButQuagmire »

deepskycyan wrote:Wait wait wait what? Sabrina hasn't nearly drowned yet?

Okay, so in this strip
Tarot makes a prediction, and sees that Sabrina will nearly drown "three years from now"

Seeing that the strip was focused on dragon being rejected by peanut, and dragon crying her eyes out, I just kinda assumed that Sabrina had nearly drowned off-screen, off-gallifrax?

It's possible that Rick put that in intending to follow up in three years, but wanted it to be a surprise that we totally messed up by remembering it.

Maybe Dragon/Heaven years are longer than ours.

Maybe it was only intended as a joke since they are in a water park.

If you're wondering why Sabrina hasn't drown
And other predicted facts
Just repeat to yourself 'It's just a strip,
I should really just relax'
GeckoZY
Location: 16 Dimensions, 13th Hyperplane No. 47.54,3674.06,6378.13; Randomly travelling in between Hyperplanes

Post by GeckoZY »

deepskycyan wrote:Wait wait wait what? Sabrina hasn't nearly drowned yet?

Okay, so in this strip

The forum link message isn't really canon*, and I bet by three years she meant between 3-4 years from that moment, and not exactly 3 years from that moment. XD

If she knew that it was exactly three years from then, then does that mean Tarot knew the outcome or had a hint of the outcome of her and Dragon trying to make Peanut choose? XD
Want to split a pineapple?
Collaborative Fan-Fiction:
El Psy Congroo
Morris

Post by Morris »

Stuff. wrote:I think that's kind of the point, personally. Big melodramatic exchange spoiled comedically in the next panel. That's what happened when Maxwell did it, anyway.

Besides, in all honesty, how "emotional" does a comic like Housepets have to be?
Housepets used to be really good and actually cause me to care for the characters, but now it feels really distant and callous.

Gren wrote: You kidding right? Do I have to make a list or what? Besides it's good some conflict in every arc (specially the long ones), that makes it interesting and generates the unwanted but so enjoyable intrigue.
Oh, please do compile a list that will challenge my opinion... and I'm not talking about conflict, I'm talking about dull, off-putting moments where emotion and life is completely suffocated from the comic for a little laugh. It's hard to enjoy.
Gamewolf67

Post by Gamewolf67 »

Hedronal wrote:
Gamewolf67 wrote:Wow...so Sasha's dated every male dog in HP? Mind=BLOWN! :shock:
Nearly every, some were speed dates. She has not dated Tiger, Joey/friends, or Peanut.
But still...
Feel my icy wrath!
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Morris wrote:
Stuff. wrote:I think that's kind of the point, personally. Big melodramatic exchange spoiled comedically in the next panel. That's what happened when Maxwell did it, anyway.

Besides, in all honesty, how "emotional" does a comic like Housepets have to be?
Housepets used to be really good and actually cause me to care for the characters, but now it feels really distant and callous.

Gren wrote: You kidding right? Do I have to make a list or what? Besides it's good some conflict in every arc (specially the long ones), that makes it interesting and generates the unwanted but so enjoyable intrigue.
Oh, please do compile a list that will challenge my opinion... and I'm not talking about conflict, I'm talking about dull, off-putting moments where emotion and life is completely suffocated from the comic for a little laugh. It's hard to enjoy.
As much as you're welcome to your opinion, please recognize that it is an opinion. The vast majority of people commenting here appear to disagree with you completely. Thus it's not that the comic is "dull" or "off-putting" so much as you find it that way.
That is completely legitimate, but it becomes obnoxious when your only point in posting (repeatedly) is to point out that you think the comic is terrible.
Again, you are welcome to your opinion. I probably love many things you don't like, and you probably love many things I don't like. But you make it sound like you haven't been enjoying reading this comic for a while. What's the point, when that's the only thing you come here to post?
Gren

Post by Gren »

Morris wrote:Housepets used to be really good and actually cause me to care for the characters, but now it feels really distant and callous.
What? Actually, I think it's the opposite. Rick has been focusing too much in romance lately ("The unbearable lightness of being a dog"; "Love and War"; "The King and I"; "Mice to meet you"; "The Gallifrax protocol"; and now this arc), therefore, you could say the condition of the comic as more "emotional" now it's a matter of fact.
Morris wrote:Oh, please do compile a list that will challenge my opinion... and I'm not talking about conflict, I'm talking about dull, off-putting moments where emotion and life is completely suffocated from the comic for a little laugh. It's hard to enjoy.
Well, I think this is a subjective matter but I agree with you that sometimes the final joke tends to ruin the moment (specially when the comic is getting serious). However, you can't go against that because that is the very essence of the comic, it wouldn't be the same otherwise. Besides you have to remember that this is a PG rated comic and it's meant for kids too, so you can't expect the comic to get too dark.
ImageImage
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Gren wrote:What? Actually, I think it's the opposite. Rick has been focusing too much in romance lately ("The unbearable lightness of being a dog"; "Love and War"; "The King and I"; "Mice to meet you"; "The Gallifrax protocol"; and now this arc), therefore, you could say the condition of the comic as more "emotional" now it's a matter of fact.
To be fair, though, Rick was putting a lot of time into King. Lately the kind of stuff we been seeing is a refreshing change. It maybe a bunch of romance, but it's fun stuff to read and anticipate.

As for the worry that Rick is getting into too much romance, the idea of a comic about pets trying to act normal would seem like a missed opportunity if romance wasn't one of the prime things we readers would want, but at the same time we don't want the comic to be just pet romance in a nutshell. I personally think Rick has been great with the comic in terms of satisfying fan needs and putting in some other topics like what the others are up to ~ I just think Rick is trying to get some of the other characters moving before he focuses on other things.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Gren

Post by Gren »

Oh no, I'm not worried nor complaining about that, I just did mention it because that was what it looked like to me.
I'm not a huge fan of romance but I do admit that it doesn't bother me a bit of it once in a while (specially when it's accompanied with some drama as in the current arc). However I can't say romance it's Rick's strong point lately (not because I have something against his doings but because these tend to have the opposite effect that the one he actually was expecting, as in the previous arc where he wanted to show how the relationships were progressing, but far from that they seem to getting worse. Grape and Maxwell are more distant than ever and her attitude with him just makes him more insecure of himself to the point that he have even decided to change himself in order to get her attention back. Meanwhile Peanut just chose Tarot because he had dated more with her than with Dragon. He could have said a huge list with all the reasons of why he choose her over Dragon or just say that he loves her but instead he indirectly said that he do not like her personality too much and want her to be more normal. And now for what I'm seeing in this arc, the whole Fido-Sabrina-Jata triangle thing has not been taken by the fans the way he probably was expecting.)
GameCobra wrote:I just think Rick is trying to get some of the other characters moving before he focuses on other things back on King.
Fixed.
ImageImage
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Gren wrote:Oh no, I'm not worried nor complaining about that, I just did mention it because that was what it looked like to me.
I'm not a huge fan of romance but I do admit that it doesn't bother me a bit of it once in a while (specially when it's accompanied with some drama as in the current arc). However I can't say romance it's Rick's strong point lately (not because I have something against his doings but because these tend to have the opposite effect that the one he actually was expecting, as in the previous arc where he wanted to show how the relationships were progressing, but far from that they seem to getting worse. Grape and Maxwell are more distant than ever and her attitude with him just makes him more insecure of himself to the point that he have even decided to change himself in order to get her attention back. Meanwhile Peanut just chose Tarot because he had dated more with her than with Dragon. He could have said a huge list with all the reasons of why he choose her over Dragon or just say that he loves her but instead he indirectly said that he do not like her personality too much and want her to be more normal. And now for what I'm seeing in this arc, the whole Fido-Sabrina-Jata triangle thing has not been taken by the fans the way he probably was expecting.)
Ok I get it ~ but the thing that started bothering me when we start to think about this is that I don't think Rick intends to leave certain characters hanging like this ~ it's more about which characters don't need much explanation. I'm beginning to think the reason Rick doesn't focus on Peanut and Tarot so much is because their relationship is pretty much straight-forward. (As straight-forward as it can be, anyway) Peanut not having all sorts of answers is suppose to be from my perspective one of his faults as the comic lately is starting to show signs of ~ We view him as a kid, but these child-like tendencies are starting to rear their ugly head at him as they (or Tarot in this case) tries to make him more responsible.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

GameCobra wrote:
Gren wrote:Oh no, I'm not worried nor complaining about that, I just did mention it because that was what it looked like to me.
Ok I get it ~ but the thing that started bothering me when we start to think about this is that I don't think Rick intends to leave certain characters hanging like this ~ it's more about which characters don't need much explanation. I'm beginning to think the reason Rick doesn't focus on Peanut and Tarot so much is because their relationship is pretty much straight-forward. (As straight-forward as it can be, anyway) Peanut not having all sorts of answers is suppose to be from my perspective one of his faults as the comic lately is starting to show signs of ~ We view him as a kid, but these child-like tendencies are starting to rear their ugly head at him as they (or Tarot in this case) tries to make him more responsible.
... Kay, to break the tension I have one thing to say............. let's just read "Housepets!". :D
ImageImageImageImage
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Fiiiine :roll:
Gren

Post by Gren »

GameCobra wrote: ~ it's more about which characters don't need much explanation.
So you think Peanut who is probably the most representative character of the comic don't need much explanation?
I'm beginning to think the reason Rick doesn't focus on Peanut and Tarot so much is because their relationship is pretty much straight-forward.
I thought that way till the previous arc.
Peanut not having all sorts of answers is suppose to be from my perspective one of his faults as the comic lately is starting to show signs of ~ We view him as a kid, but these child-like tendencies are starting to rear their ugly head at him as they (or Tarot in this case) tries to make him more responsible.
I'm not sure if it's just me or Peanut has gotten more stereotyped than ever. I mean, he wasn't all that oblivious and naive before. As far as I can recall Peanut managed his crush on Grape pretty well as any normal person. He didn't do anything rash and was smart enough to keep his mouth shut. He even was mature enough to accept Max and helped Grape in their first date. Peanut has shown more cleverness than what people thinks of him.
CHAOKOCartoons wrote:... Kay, to break the tension I have one thing to say............. let's just read "Housepets!". :D
Tension? WHAT TENSION?!! (Nah, just kidding :lol: )
ImageImage
TOPCATDIGIANIMEFAN

Post by TOPCATDIGIANIMEFAN »

Im Going With Rick Papper Sizors"