2013/11/22 - Blue Lines And Red Tape

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Gamewolf67

Re: 2013/11/22 - Blue Lines And Red Tape

Post by Gamewolf67 »

deepskycyan wrote:Since pets cannot be ruled under US law, or any state/country law for that matter, I'm just wondering whether they have to abide by some pet law other than the GOE? (which really isn't a law, more like a licence to live with humans?)
No. I think in the Housepets Universe, animals can live as their own individual self without an owner (Jata rules a micronation for God's sake!) so I think probably not.
Feel my icy wrath!
TheOne
Location: Trapped in the center of the Galaxy. Need a starship to get out!

Post by TheOne »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:I think it's a place where his fur is a bit looser and hanging down casting a shadow, probably intended to give a "bags under the eyes" look to show that his demanding K-9 career is taking its toll
If it's "bags under the eyes" then my guess is lack of sleep. They probably didn't let anyone go home until all statements had been made and they figured everything out as best as they could. (They="the powers that be at the station")
Maybe Ralph's about to go cuckoo (for cocoa puffs) from all the stress he's gone through. Maybe he'll have Delusional Steve as a roommate... The world may never know...
Dag nabbed petty annoyances...
deepskycyan

Post by deepskycyan »

Gamewolf67 wrote:
deepskycyan wrote:Since pets cannot be ruled under US law, or any state/country law for that matter, I'm just wondering whether they have to abide by some pet law other than the GOE? (which really isn't a law, more like a licence to live with humans?)
No. I think in the Housepets Universe, animals can live as their own individual self without an owner (Jata rules a micronation for God's sake!) so I think probably not.

Yeah I know pets could live free without an owner of any sort, but what I intended to ask, was whether pets have a general law of common conduct? I'm guessing so, as Ralph expresses his previous suspicions of Fido "Participating in something underhanded - or worse, illegal", which kinda suggests that there is in fact, special laws for pets (or perhaps all animals in general?)

And if so, how would these pet laws differ from normal human laws, seeing that as pets are excluded from state ruling, there must be some difference between the two?
"Reality continues to ruin my life." -B. Watterson
Gamewolf67

Post by Gamewolf67 »

deepskycyan wrote:
Gamewolf67 wrote:

Yeah I know pets could live free without an owner of any sort, but what I intended to ask, was whether pets have a general law of common conduct? I'm guessing so, as Ralph expresses his previous suspicions of Fido "Participating in something underhanded - or worse, illegal", which kinda suggests that there is in fact, special laws for pets (or perhaps all animals in general?)

And if so, how would these pet laws differ from normal human laws, seeing that as pets are excluded from state ruling, there must be some difference between the two?
Yes. There are different laws when compared to humans' laws (I assume) and since they are different species the laws must apply to them as well.
Feel my icy wrath!
valerio

Post by valerio »

Pets in HP universe are legally treated exactly like in our own universe. Their basic rights extended to those granted as animals of company/affection. This means they are regarded as property, can't own things, can't do anything without permission from their owners.
Legally speaking, ferals are as low in the law chart like our own strays and wild animals.
In Japan, Tanukis are full citizens. It is not know if citizenship is extended to other animals.
In Feraga, leopards rule and animals are definitely free citizen, either by birthright or by legal permission.
WhoElseButQuagmire

Post by WhoElseButQuagmire »

TheOne wrote:Image
Peanut & Fido in a contest of stares with (The One's avatar) King. Who will blink first?
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Foxstar wrote:Not funny at all. Where's my stick so I can smack you? :p
Silly Zealot wrote:Truth be told, though, if that actually happened, it would make like an earthquake Foxstar the phoenix and crack me my spine up! :lol:
Hey, I am not going to sue anyone, don't throw your rage at me...... at least not for that!
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:I think it's a place where his fur is a bit looser and hanging down casting a shadow, probably intended to give a "bags under the eyes" look to show that his demanding K-9 career is taking its toll
Nope, stiches! He's going to look like that every time from now on! : P
valerio wrote:Pets in HP universe are legally treated exactly like in our own universe. Their basic rights extended to those granted as animals of company/affection. This means they are regarded as property, can't own things, can't do anything without permission from their owners.
Legally speaking, ferals are as low in the law chart like our own strays and wild animals.
In Japan, Tanukis are full citizens. It is not know if citizenship is extended to other animals.
In Feraga, leopards rule and animals are definitely free citizen, either by birthright or by legal permission.
I'm surprised there hasn't being any Animal Farm style rebellion at all!
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
Gamewolf67

Post by Gamewolf67 »

valerio wrote:Pets in HP universe are legally treated exactly like in our own universe. Their basic rights extended to those granted as animals of company/affection. This means they are regarded as property, can't own things, can't do anything without permission from their owners.
I'm surprised there hasn't being any Animal Farm style rebellion at all![/quote]

In Australia, kangaroos are probably given rights too.
Feel my icy wrath!
valerio

Post by valerio »

Silly Zealot wrote:I'm surprised there hasn't being any Animal Farm style rebellion at all!
Without indulging in overanalysis, it's plausible that those animals who perhaps started this alliance as equals, before it degenerated into petdom, decided that it was better to keep a submitted rank and have free food, shelter and warmth rather than fighting for the same things, PLUS having to organize to defend them against the other animal species. In fact, humans, by defending their own territories, would defend their own animals as well.
Just like humans, the animals living within the borders of their masters, if taken individually, must have considered that even fighting alongside the humans must be more convenient than hiding in a corner now and risk retaliation later. Sure, especially in the dark ages life for pets must have been atrocious...but think of that: the strongest and most dedicated would get the better food instead of having to live 'free' in the street and suffer all possible deprivations.
History proved that, the more the humans became ethically sophisticated (especially in Europe and North America), the more new laws were created to help out animal welfare, and the better became the quality of life for our best friends. Sure, much more road must be walked, but at least it's being walked in the right direction.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

valerio wrote:
Silly Zealot wrote:I'm surprised there hasn't being any Animal Farm style rebellion at all!
Without indulging in overanalysis, it's plausible that those animals who perhaps started this alliance as equals, before it degenerated into petdom, decided that it was better to keep a submitted rank and have free food, shelter and warmth rather than fighting for the same things, PLUS having to organize to defend them against the other animal species. In fact, humans, by defending their own territories, would defend their own animals as well.
Just like humans, the animals living within the borders of their masters, if taken individually, must have considered that even fighting alongside the humans must be more convenient than hiding in a corner now and risk retaliation later. Sure, especially in the dark ages life for pets must have been atrocious...but think of that: the strongest and most dedicated would get the better food instead of having to live 'free' in the street and suffer all possible deprivations.
History proved that, the more the humans became ethically sophisticated (especially in Europe and North America), the more new laws were created to help out animal welfare, and the better became the quality of life for our best friends. Sure, much more road must be walked, but at least it's being walked in the right direction.
And maybe there are slight mental differences between us and the Housepets! universe humans, making them more benevolent in nature and less likely to abuse their authority than us.

And why not overanalyzing the Housepets! universe backround? Rick wants to become an ilustrator and writer for young adult audiences, and a good way to facilitate that dream is to turn his (thus far) magnum opus into a full-fledged, well-developed original setting..... with extreme perjudice!
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Gamewolf67 wrote:
I'm surprised there hasn't being any Animal Farm style rebellion at all!
In Australia, kangaroos are probably given rights too.[/quote]

Rights to kick people's butts for sure. :lol:
I like this color/.
Join the Housepets! IRC: http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=%23HPRT&uio=d4 #HPRT
Rick Griffin-Pete Griffin. Brothers?
I love mods. Now shush before I drag one over here...
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Well, good thing about this is we get to have Sabrina and Fido ating and open in the streets of Babylon Gardens! I cannot WAIT until that first public date!

Also, we get to see how many people guessed right about reactions to it becoming public~
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
Muninn

Post by Muninn »

copper wrote:Well, good thing about this is we get to have Sabrina and Fido ating and open in the streets of Babylon Gardens! I cannot WAIT until that first public date!

Also, we get to see how many people guessed right about reactions to it becoming public~
We might see a break between Bino and Fox. Fox has already questioned himself for following Bino in the past, and I think Fox is likely to be forgiving of Fido (he's likely to be more upset by the hiding of the relationship than the actual relationship) while Bino is probably going to try to use it against Fido. So there might a future schism between Fox and Bino

Grape and Peanut already knew, so nothing changes there.

Max is a whole different matter. He's likely to be very upset with Sabrina
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

copper wrote:Well, good thing about this is we get to have Sabrina and Fido ating and open in the streets of Babylon Gardens! I cannot WAIT until that first public date!
Just because they're open about it doesn't mean they'd be able to go on dates without scorn. They still may keep it to themselves mostly.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
valerio

Post by valerio »

Sleet wrote:
Just because they're open about it doesn't mean they'd be able to go on dates without scorn. They still may keep it to themselves mostly.
That's why now Fido needs to recontruct his friends' circle, starting with Tarot, Peanut and Grape. And Joey, Fox and King should join.
matthew Wolf

Post by matthew Wolf »

aw poor fido i feel sorry for him
you laugh at me because i,m different i laugh at you because your the same
RainbowDragon

Post by RainbowDragon »

Hm. I wonder about sergeant Ralph: "If you had warned us, we could have avoided a lot of bruises and Paperwork."
Does this mean the correct Cop Ralph would have abandoned his post and job to help Fido? That would have been cool of him, but I somehow can´t imagine him doing that o.O