2014/04/09 - The Abridged Series

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Argent

Re: 2014/04/09 - The Abridged Series

Post by Argent »

Liam wrote:Nothing is more hateful to wisdom than excessive... agitation? Extortion?

what
Cleverness, according to https://www.housepetscomic.com/forums/v ... 97#p597497
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

Liam wrote:Nothing is more hateful to wisdom than excessive... agitation? Extortion?

what
I am not sure why people can't figure out which word I replaced
I'm sure the cold hand of science will be able to overcome his magical powers
Argent

Post by Argent »

Latin might as well be Greek to... wait a minute...
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

copper wrote:Poe had to put Dupin in Paris when he wrote those stories because at the time, it was the only place with an advanced enough police force to allow for a detective such as C. Auguste Dupin. Love that little guy.... the invention of the modern detective... Love that genre.
Yes, but he was overly expositional to the point of painstaking!
I tried to read both the Golden Scarab (I don't remember if Dupin was in this one, though, but the style is the same.)) and an abridged version of the Purloined Letter, and I could not bring myself to reading to the several chapters of convoluted explanation on how the mystery of the missing jewel/letter was solved. I skipped right to the end.
It was like a Scooby-Doo episode where the bad guy gets unmasked in the first five minutes, then there's Vilma explaining the villain's tricks and motives for 24 other minutes, and then the villain and the other characters give their final comments during the last remaining one.

These expositional, scientific essay-style interjections are almost in all the Poe works I've read. (Though I'm still waiting for a sequel to his Arthur Gordon Pym novel!)
copper wrote:
RatHead wrote:Holmes and Watson were better.

You see, I prefer Poirot and Hastings.... far better chemistry. And Christie loved making fun of other detective novels in there with small jabs. :lol:
I remember Poirot giving his own opinion over being compared with Holmes in one novel. In the Poirot world, Holmes was also fictional. I wonder if that makes Holmes, as some would call it, fictional fiction, and make Dupin fictional fictional fiction.
rickgriffin wrote:

what
"Concussurae."

There, what do I win?
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Well, Poe is credited as creating the first modern detective novel with Dupin.... there will be flaws to be ironed out. I am not saying he was perfect, just that it was pretty darn good for being the first...

And yes, he once joked about having a twin brother. In fact, it was a pivotal point in one of his plans in The Big Four. Making fun of Mycroft and Sherlock.
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
WhoElseButQuagmire

Post by WhoElseButQuagmire »

legionbunny wrote:
D-Rock wrote:Huh, I rarely see anyone get defensive over their favorite books.

harry potter fandom

twilight fandom
Pridelands fandom..... Just LET Bino say anything bad about the big kitties in Grape's presence....

Silly Zealot wrote:
rickgriffin wrote:

what
"Concussurae."

There, what do I win?
A brand new case of Satisfaction!
Liam

Post by Liam »

rickgriffin wrote:

what
Concussurae is a declined form of concussura, meaning extortion of money through idle threats, and has nothing to do with concussions.

A certain furret has to rub up on his Latinum.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Why do you assume he thinks it means "concussion".
That would make his phrase "Nothing is more hateful to concussions than excessive cleverness." which doesn't really make that much sense :?

If used as "extortion/intimidation/shakedown", the sentence actually makes sense. ;)

At least, his point in that quote is that people keep using the word "wisdom" in their translations just because that's what it is in the original. So it seems people are incapable of figuring out he switched "sapientiae" with "concussurae".
Liam

Post by Liam »

Obbl wrote:Why do you assume he thinks it means "concussion".
Because you can make it a pun by deliberately using a false friend vocable?
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Liam wrote:Because you can make it a pun by deliberately using a false friend vocable?
Obbl wrote:That would make his phrase "Nothing is more hateful to concussions than excessive cleverness." which doesn't really make that much sense :?
How? At least to me it doesn't make much sense. :?
gameace777

Post by gameace777 »

Yes, let's tell the writer what he meant to say. Is he taking on apprentices for the comic? Or maybe he's hiring out since he's clearly lost his edge on how to write his comic. I'm sure it'll all work out. Keep up the good work.
Liam

Post by Liam »

Tiger got smug over TPL and as a consequence almost came to blows with Rock.

Cleverness, concussions, get it?
gameace777

Post by gameace777 »

You are not writing the comic. What he said makes sense, and does not need to be corrected. You are free to share ideas on what you think would have been cool, but you come off as a condescending and corrective instead. In the future, please try to keep your thoughts to opinions and not state them as facts that everyone should adhere to. Thank you.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Yes, but "concussurae" is not replacing the word "acumine" in the phrase. It is replacing the word "sapientiae".

Nihil concussurae odiosius acumine nimio.
Nothing to (a) shakedown is more odious than cleverness excessive.

The phrase you were trying to make in the original quote was:
"Nihil sapientiae odiosius concussura nimio." (pardon if concussura is in the wrong case) Which is not what is written.
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

Liam wrote: Concussurae is a declined form of concussura, meaning extortion of money through idle threats, and has nothing to do with concussions.

A certain furret has to rub up on his Latinum.
I will reiterate for him: Why the crap do you think I meant concussions?

OH hey here is the Lewis and Short entry I looked up when altering this phrase

And it's derived from this word which is late Latin, but that's okay because the original quote was by Petrarch, who lived in the 1300s, and you can't get much later than that.

I considered using calumnia as it's more legal terminology, but the word by itself means more general fraud than what I was going for, given I was attempting to restate what Tiger says in panel 2.

See, when I made this comic, I came up with a silly reason why Tiger might dismiss the entire book, and it just so happened that Poe's epigraph to the book basically says the exact same thing. I only changed sapientiae (wisdom, dative, I have no idea how you think acumine was "wisdom" in that phrase when it's not even in the right case) to concussurae (extortion, dative). I could have possibly dug into more research in order to figure out how, exactly, "blackmail" was phrased in a direct legal term, but I figured the more direct I was the less I'd be misunderstood.

Apparently I was wrong.
Liam

Post by Liam »

rickgriffin wrote:Why the crap do you think I meant concussions?
Lewis & Short wrote:I a shaking, concussion.
Because the word shares a root with it and extortion made no sense to me.
I have no idea how you think acumine was "wisdom" in that phrase when it's not even in the right case
Because when I wrote my original post I mixed up wisdom and cleverness.

And I can explain why I didn't notice the cases: I speak no Latin. :3
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

Liam wrote: And I can explain why I didn't notice the cases: I speak no Latin. :3
Well then it's a very good thing you didn't assert you had knowledge that you didn't possess
Liam

Post by Liam »

rickgriffin wrote:
Liam wrote: And I can explain why I didn't notice the cases: I speak no Latin. :3
Well then it's a very good thing you didn't assert you had knowledge that you didn't possess
I only said that to defuse the heated situation, actually. I'm still pretty sure the sentence makes no sense.

It's not that my initial jocular observation was a scathing indictment or anything.
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

It actually does make a fair amount of sense. Although the definiton of concussurae Rick used is not the common one, it is still within reason. I suggest you start using the site Whitaker's Words. It really helped me out a lot in High School when I took 4 years of a dead language. I swear, most of it has left my head, but I will always remember a life saving website like that! :lol:
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?