2014/04/28 - Chain Of Memories

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
max7345
Location: Yuma, AZ (Also known as drought-city and oven-town during the Summer)

Re: 2014/04/28 - Chain Of Memories

Post by max7345 »

Silly Zealot wrote:Pete the back-flipping robot penguin!
xD He best hope Tiger doesn't spot him if this becomes the case.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

:shock: :shock: :shock:

*dramatic pause*

*walks off to put music on*
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i5Kwf_nNmGI
*walks back and pulls popcorn out of hammer space*

*dramatic pause*

I'm ready.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Panther

Post by Panther »

Hard to be "Connor MacLeod" , King ; isn't it ?
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Another thing I'm curious about is, despite it likely being unrelevant anymore, if there is any good hint as to why Pete initially had plans for Grape to begin with?
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

As per "We All Dream for Sundering" that would be because she is a Dream Sunderer, no?
Sansash

Post by Sansash »

Yippee ki-yay, Mother Pheasant.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Obbl wrote:As per "We All Dream for Sundering" that would be because she is a Dream Sunderer, no?
My bad, you're right. That was the reason. X3

But what I actually meant was: What if he had a chance to take her back over King? Would he take it? That's what I'm curious about.

Would he ever go back to Plan A if Plan A was recoverable?
Huskyfox

Post by Huskyfox »

What will happen...
Time will tell..
Will it all go down in flames...
Or will it all end well?? :shock:
Will Bailey and King stay together, or will King go back to being human? Stay tuned for a special news bulletin from Rick!
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Honestly? This is a side quest to determine leadership in the main game. I don't think either party is that involved as much as we all think. Dragon is too caring and Pete is too nonchalant, but in the end, this game is meaningless. I think that in the end Pete will lose, become a mortal, but then Dragon has mercy and turns him back before a great reset happens, with everything being turned back and the game's existence being erased but for one small detail.... King's reward is that his path is not altered, he remains a corgi and is allowed to be with his wife.
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
villa

Post by villa »

five words pete is going to die :twisted:

bailey i will move HEAVEN and earth to get to you
be the destroyer of gods
move through armies
plow through earth
and i feel sorry for the one in my way

i say again pete is going to die :twisted:
i strive to put more happiness into the world then i took out of it
and hope others strive to do the same.

to the speculation mobile initiate the wild mass contingency!
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

copper wrote:Honestly? This is a side quest to determine leadership in the main game. I don't think either party is that involved as much as we all think. Dragon is too caring and Pete is too nonchalant, but in the end, this game is meaningless. I think that in the end Pete will lose, become a mortal, but then Dragon has mercy and turns him back before a great reset happens, with everything being turned back and the game's existence being erased but for one small detail.... King's reward is that his path is not altered, he remains a corgi and is allowed to be with his wife.
Yeah that's pretty much what I think is going to happen as well. Outside of King (and most likely Peanut & Tarot as well, depending on if she sticks around afterwards; remember we know absolutely nothing about her previous life before she just showed up at Sabrina's door one day.) I have a feeling nothing is going to change or really come from all of this. Truthfully the thing is if you think about it Dragon is a borderline pointless character really, as Copper pointed out her real motivation here (a.k.a winning the game) doesn't matter at all in the end and she isn't planing on doing anything else like Pete is.

Also one thing that no one has mentioned yet, King said hes calling Petes bluff here. That means that hes going to reject Petes offer to see if Pete will actually turn him back guys.
GameCobra wrote:
Obbl wrote:As per "We All Dream for Sundering" that would be because she is a Dream Sunderer, no?
My bad, you're right. That was the reason. X3

But what I actually meant was: What if he had a chance to take her back over King? Would he take it? That's what I'm curious about.

Would he ever go back to Plan A if Plan A was recoverable?
Likely not, he's spent far to much energy on King as it is and Grape is basically useless now as I believe Rick said at one point. Really my thing about the situation is why in the world are Fido and Peanut Dream Sunderers as well? (which I guess is more of a meta question then a in story universe one, I guess the Peanut one is answered by Rick needed an excuse for Tarot to exist and be with Peanut. However Fido confuses me to no end.)
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

There are more than two classes.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

diss wrote:There are more than two classes.
Yes, which is why I don't get why Peanut and Fido (mostly Fido) are also Dream Sunderers, (which is why Grape, Fido and Peanut all have Yellow eyes on the figures and Dragon got them all into relationships) you even indicated that in your comment on the strip itself and as far as I recall Rick never said otherwise unless I missed it. I would think that he would have said otherwise if that was the case because you know that seems to have been what most people got out of it.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Because, of the many pets in Babylon Gardens, 3 of them are Dream Sunderers, and we coincidentally follow them as main characters in our story.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I also realize from the wording that Pete wasn't exactly gun-ho for Grape, he just picked her as the best choice out of what looks like to be Peanut and Fido. I just wonder why he chose her over the others the most?

With that being said, let's see how this goes.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

As much as I look forward to seeing how King reacts to these increasingly odd situations, it always amazes me how invested we've become to his story. I'll chalk it up to engaging storytelling.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

IceKitsune wrote:
Yes, which is why I don't get why Peanut and Fido (mostly Fido) are also Dream Sunderers, (which is why Grape, Fido and Peanut all have Yellow eyes on the figures and Dragon got them all into relationships) you even indicated that in your comment on the strip itself and as far as I recall Rick never said otherwise unless I missed it. I would think that he would have said otherwise if that was the case because you know that seems to have been what most people got out of it.
Ah, sorry, I'd actually forgotten where Pete said he was only focusing on that particular class at the outset. :3 Yes, they have yellow eyes on the figurines because they were candidates for Pete's avatar. To quote Pete, "To accumulate power quickly, a sunderer needs enormous quantities of either purity or imagination..." I believe Fido is fairly pure of heart and Peanut obviously has both qualifications.

Also, my comments on comics are purely from the perspective of a fan unless otherwise noted.

PIERULEZ

Post by PIERULEZ »

FelizPanthera wrote:Oh yeah, now we're getting to the good stuff. Is it wrong of me to say that I'm sort of hoping King becomes Pete's avatar? I'm just interested to see where the game goes once both he and Dragon have one. Either way... Bring on the arc! :D
What I think would be interesting is the powers he'll get for becoming his avatar
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

diss wrote:
IceKitsune wrote:
Ah, sorry, I'd actually forgotten where Pete said he was only focusing on that particular class at the outset. :3 Yes, they have yellow eyes on the figurines because they were candidates for Pete's avatar. To quote Pete, "To accumulate power quickly, a sunderer needs enormous quantities of either purity or imagination..." I believe Fido is fairly pure of heart and Peanut obviously has both qualifications.

Also, my comments on comics are purely from the perspective of a fan unless otherwise noted.
Sorry I didn't actually mean to imply that your comments were some kind of authority, I was just pointing out that you had though as much at the time.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

deepskycyan wrote:Yeah I think staying off this arc until its done will result in a better reading experience, but Rick did say this would be a LONG arc, so long that he's gonna have to split it, with one-off intervals in between. I don't think I could survive so long without housepets though...
If it is 45 strips, that'd take 15 weeks, and assuming that for every two weeks, the third is composed of one-offs, that would be 22 weeks. That is like 5 months of Housepets! abstinence!
Argent wrote:As for Pete, I vote for a big blue turkey. Or maybe one of those stupid parrots from New Zealand that don't know how to fly?
This is the first time I see Argent calling anything "stupid", least of all an animal.

A sign of the end times, no doubt!
There is the beardbarian, for instance, whose beard-growing prowess is unparaleled and can banquished ANYONE on any field of battle where that's actually useful!
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
Gamewolf67

Post by Gamewolf67 »

101 posts...this is gonna be a great arc.
diss wrote:
IceKitsune wrote:

Fanfic time! *Writes a fanfic insanely quickly*
Feel my icy wrath!
Mickey the Luxray
Location: Why-Cant-We-Be-Given-Some-Consarned-Snow-Ville, USA

Post by Mickey the Luxray »

It begins.

One of my favorite parts of this comic is brick plots. Just when you think the characters are safe...

While I'm rooting for King, I get the feeling that Pete is going to overpower him even if he tries to resist. Which makes me sad.
If you want my number, it's #804080.
KingForevermore
Location: In the north eastern part of the second largest state in the US

Post by KingForevermore »

Argent wrote:
Draj wrote:Alternatively, Pete loses, and is never head from again, and dragon leaves and is never heard from again.
That would solve the Dragon-Tarot-Peanut triangle.
Which will allow Rick to add a new plot line (then watch as the shipping wars begin)

Also in case nobody realized this (because i didn't till today) "Pheasant" refers to a popularly and commenly hunted bird (Pete)
The logic!?!? Where has it gone?
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

KingForevermore wrote:Which will allow Rick to add a new plot line (then watch as the shipping wars begin)
Housepets: The school years.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Silly Zealot wrote:
Argent wrote:As for Pete, I vote for a big blue turkey. Or maybe one of those stupid parrots from New Zealand that don't know how to fly?
This is the first time I see Argent calling anything "stupid", least of all an animal.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kakapo
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

Acritic2 wrote:
Kitch wrote:Why not just say Mister Falcon?
because he's cursing (pet style) at Pete, and I like that he's starting to lose his sailor's mouth.
That was a Die Hard reference. The TV edit for Die Hard 2 replaced MF with that.
rmaster454

Post by rmaster454 »

I know that it would break the PG rating, but this comic would have been way better had King actually swore.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

I fail to see how.

Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Dissension wrote:I fail to see how.
You're not the only one, bud. We don't need the word is an acceptable substitute is available.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
1071-CCN

Post by 1071-CCN »

rmaster454 wrote:I know that it would break the PG rating, but this comic would have been way better had King actually swore.
There are those cartoony "@#%&$!" things if they're needed, but I myself like Housepets's "fake" swearing better.
This account is a copy of that of my Cross Time Cafe account, which I use to discuss Freefall on its forum.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Hey in my fanfic, my character is gonna swear a lot, but it will be fully censored with asterisks.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Larry Niven used "TANJ", "BLEEP", and "CENSORED" as his 23rd century profanities, and everyone swore by "Murphy", "Finagle" and "Kdapt". Bleep and Censored are pretty pbvious. TANJ stands for "There Ain't No Justice". Murphy and Finagle were the Belter gods of chaos and perversity, and Kdapt was a kzinti preacher who taught that humans were the chosen people.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That is true, but I think that my character is gonna be a bit of a potty-mouth. That will be a change.
Argent

Post by Argent »

You could also use "-ing" in memory of Terry Pratchett.
Ghost Machine

Post by Ghost Machine »

Do I spy Darcia's keep in the background of panel one?