Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
2014/05/16 - Parting Blows 
Author Message
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 1:16 am
Posts: 349
Images: 70
Post Re: 2014/05/16 - Parting Blows
Ryusuta wrote:

Well, in my case and I feel in the case of the vast majority, the complaints come from a misplaced excess of excitement, anticipation, and frustration at not having the answers.



I would have to agree with you sir.


Fri May 16, 2014 7:18 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 05, 2014 8:31 pm
Posts: 421
Images: 1
Location: Nowhere, Everywhere County
Post Re: 2014/05/16 - Parting Blows
Well, well........... I hope Bino won't do anything stupid to King for awhile(highly doubtful :| ). This is one of those things in which someone (King) needs space in order cope and think about it. Hopefully, King won't start blowing his steam at Fox. That definitely won't end well :cry: .

_________________
There is always a mystical adventure awaiting you. You just have to find it and take the first step into epicness.
Image


Fri May 16, 2014 7:18 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 9:06 pm
Posts: 22
Post Re: 2014/05/16 - Parting Blows
From what I've seen of Pete, hes not one to go back on his word. That being said he also isn't one to pass up on every possible loophole he can find that works to his favor or when it just flat out entertains him.

I do believe King will wake up as Joel again, since Bailey signed the contract rather then King himself, Pete has no obligation to give him anything. What's worse is that Bailey didn't even read the contract before signing it meaning Pete could have put anything in there making her 'sacrifice' in vain if he removed all the things he promised King if he agreed to be his avatar. This wouldn't disqualify her from being the white avenger as she signed under the impression that King got to remain who he is and she could still be with him, a vain sacrifice if it turns out to be wrong, but a sacrifice for love all the same.

King does still have options though, the watch symbolizes his fate and until its collected King still has the choice to be a dog. Unless Pete swiped it before waking King up, Pete doesn't have the authority to make the decision for him. (Afterall, its what got King stuck in Limbo in the first place.)


Fri May 16, 2014 9:26 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:59 pm
Posts: 132
Post Re: 2014/05/16 - Parting Blows
Silvermane wrote:
Unless Pete swiped it before waking King up


I point you to the third panel here.


Fri May 16, 2014 9:44 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:47 am
Posts: 620
Post Re: 2014/05/16 - Parting Blows
Leomon2004 wrote:
Silvermane wrote:
Unless Pete swiped it before waking King up


I point you to the third panel here.


I was assuming his swiping it was what Dragon noticed. Time to get going indeed.

And if you'll indulge me one more DS9 reference....

Pete and Bailey arrive at the training facility.
Bailey: Oh...one thing before we begin... (Gives Pete a right cross on the beak.)
Pete: You hit me! King never hit me!
Bailey: I'm not King. Now that we understand each other...shall we begin?
( cue awesome training montage ).


Fri May 16, 2014 10:38 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 9:06 pm
Posts: 22
Post Re: 2014/05/16 - Parting Blows
Leomon2004 wrote:
Silvermane wrote:
Unless Pete swiped it before waking King up


I point you to the third panel here.


I don't know what you are trying to point me to, the fact Pete would get into trouble again for swiping the watch... which got into Kings possession in the first place and solely exists because of Pete. I don't think Pete cares much for the rules and the consequences of 'bending' them unless they somehow apply to the game itself, and even then likely only when it works against him.


Fri May 16, 2014 11:03 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:26 am
Posts: 144
Location: Sac, CA
Post Re: 2014/05/16 - Parting Blows
Maybe I'm incorrect on this (or someone may have pointed out already), but is it possible that Dragon could substitute Tarot with King and make him also a White Avenger? I see everyone talking about how King would be a Dark Paladin, a class based on discontent, but from my perspective, King's discontent was due to initially becoming a dog, but that was radically reduced as he began to accept that life, and even moreso with having met and later marrying Bailey. So, Pete foiled his own plan by letting time pass by, preventing King from becoming a competent Dark Paladin.

So why a White Avenger? Based on The Handbook of Players, Chapter 9 verse 45, "Those who of love and fury intercede for another may themselves take on the power of the White Avenger". From what I understand of this verse, the one that intercedes for another isn't necessary interceding for a loved one. This could mean that King could intercede for Tarot. As far as love and fury, we know that King's love is towards Bailey. So what about his fury? No need to take guesses here on where that would be directed towards. It's definitely Pete. But what about what Pete said about King compared to Bailey? "She's a lot more powerful than you would have ever been." In what terms does he mean by this? Hypothetically, it could simply mean in terms of being Pete's avatar, not necessarily one for someone else (as King's fury probably couldn't be directed towards his own master to make him effective).

I'm not fluent about stats and such, but just based on the class in this scenario of two White Avengers fighting against each other, couldn't King be stronger than Bailey? Their love is for each other, likely equal in nature, but what about their fury? I get the feeling that King's fury towards Pete would overpower any fury Bailey would have in this instance.

This is just my theory.


Fri May 16, 2014 11:45 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:27 am
Posts: 4038
Location: Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
Post Re: 2014/05/16 - Parting Blows
It's likely now that at this point, since Pete got his avatar that he'll be spending the majority of his time on Bailey now like the nice guy he is while his spell on King wears off. That's suddenly the impression I'm starting to get, anyway. That, or he's 'waking' Joel up... only time will tell since Pete could snap his fingers at this point I presume and the whole fight be over with. =P

_________________
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Image


Sat May 17, 2014 1:34 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:56 am
Posts: 473
Location: On top of your Christmas tree
Post Re: 2014/05/16 - Parting Blows
Discostew wrote:
Maybe I'm incorrect on this (or someone may have pointed out already), but is it possible that Dragon could substitute Tarot with King and make him also a White Avenger? I see everyone talking about how King would be a Dark Paladin, a class based on discontent, but from my perspective, King's discontent was due to initially becoming a dog, but that was radically reduced as he began to accept that life, and even moreso with having met and later marrying Bailey. So, Pete foiled his own plan by letting time pass by, preventing King from becoming a competent Dark Paladin.

So why a White Avenger? Based on The Handbook of Players, Chapter 9 verse 45, "Those who of love and fury intercede for another may themselves take on the power of the White Avenger". From what I understand of this verse, the one that intercedes for another isn't necessary interceding for a loved one. This could mean that King could intercede for Tarot. As far as love and fury, we know that King's love is towards Bailey. So what about his fury? No need to take guesses here on where that would be directed towards. It's definitely Pete. But what about what Pete said about King compared to Bailey? "She's a lot more powerful than you would have ever been." In what terms does he mean by this? Hypothetically, it could simply mean in terms of being Pete's avatar, not necessarily one for someone else (as King's fury probably couldn't be directed towards his own master to make him effective).

I'm not fluent about stats and such, but just based on the class in this scenario of two White Avengers fighting against each other, couldn't King be stronger than Bailey? Their love is for each other, likely equal in nature, but what about their fury? I get the feeling that King's fury towards Pete would overpower any fury Bailey would have in this instance.

This is just my theory.


That...is an interesting theory indeed.

It's a long shot though. First, let it be noted that King's anger isn't directed at Pete exclusively, but to all the comic nerds, and to the whole game in general. Would King be willing to fight for dragon, even if it were to bring about Pete's defeat? If so, it would be on his own accord, for dragon is not manipulative like Pete, although she may 'encourage' King to assist her. But still, the big question remains, if King were to attack Pete in this manner, he would have to go through BAILEY. King is clearly aware of this fact, will he go with this plan? Surely he is not okay with attacking his own wife just to bring Pete to justice.

Okay, lets just say that he DOES in fact go with this crazy idea. There is no doubt that Pete, being omniscient, will know of it immediately, and will do all in his power to defend himself with Bailey the meat shield. King, being mortal, will not be able to overcome Pete's defense and will be forced to back down, unless he is okay with hurting his wife. Dragon cannot help King in this situation. At all. Unless she exploits a flaw in Pete's Bailey shield strategy, but this is still highly unlikely, as Pete, again, being omniscient, will probably have constructed his plan in such a way that it cannot be foiled. To add to this point, we don't know what the contract Bailey signed entails, she could have agreed to be mind controlled by Pete for all we know, and a mind controlled Bailey attacking King? That just makes everything more complicated and unlikely.

It's not a bad idea really, and I'm sure Rick could make this work. But so far, I can see too many problems with this and the story itself doesn't seem to lead anywhere, which is not the objective of a conclusive arc. Not to mention that the forum discussion would most certainly blow up again. Its also spontaneous and unpredictable...I like that though :P

_________________
Image
"Reality continues to ruin my life." -B. Watterson

Ashleigh: S(5) / P(7) / E(5) / C1(4) / I(5) / A(7) / L(7) / R(4) / C2(10) / #8000BF / STEELHAVEN


Sat May 17, 2014 3:54 am
Profile

Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:05 am
Posts: 6
Post Re: 2014/05/16 - Parting Blows
I'm still waiting ... silently waiting ... for the time when someone will simply REFUSE to "wake up" on command - just to see where things go.


Sat May 17, 2014 8:34 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:47 am
Posts: 620
Post Re: 2014/05/16 - Parting Blows
restcure wrote:
I'm still waiting ... silently waiting ... for the time when someone will simply REFUSE to "wake up" on command - just to see where things go.


Keene did his best to avoid it, but failed.


Sat May 17, 2014 9:13 am
Profile
Game Master
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 6:53 am
Posts: 14968
Location: Italy
Post Re: 2014/05/16 - Parting Blows
restcure wrote:
I'm still waiting ... silently waiting ... for the time when someone will simply REFUSE to "wake up" on command - just to see where things go.

...wouldn't it rock if on next comic we discover that magical 'snap' didn't work and Pete is still stuck with King in the dream? HA!

_________________
Image
Image


Sat May 17, 2014 9:33 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 1:16 am
Posts: 349
Images: 70
Post Re: 2014/05/16 - Parting Blows
It seems to be a great way of getting your way. Just snap your fingers and the plane of consciousness your opponent is in becomes a dream they wake up from. Lazy Cosmic Nerds are lazy.


Sat May 17, 2014 9:46 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:47 am
Posts: 620
Post Re: 2014/05/16 - Parting Blows
I'm sure at the end of Temple Crashes after Keene, Sabrina, Zack, and Daryl disappeared Karishad looked to Pete for a game of Cornhole.


Sat May 17, 2014 10:55 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:26 am
Posts: 144
Location: Sac, CA
Post Re: 2014/05/16 - Parting Blows
deepskycyan wrote:
Discostew wrote:
Maybe I'm incorrect on this (or someone may have pointed out already), but is it possible that Dragon could substitute Tarot with King and make him also a White Avenger? I see everyone talking about how King would be a Dark Paladin, a class based on discontent, but from my perspective, King's discontent was due to initially becoming a dog, but that was radically reduced as he began to accept that life, and even moreso with having met and later marrying Bailey. So, Pete foiled his own plan by letting time pass by, preventing King from becoming a competent Dark Paladin.

So why a White Avenger? Based on The Handbook of Players, Chapter 9 verse 45, "Those who of love and fury intercede for another may themselves take on the power of the White Avenger". From what I understand of this verse, the one that intercedes for another isn't necessary interceding for a loved one. This could mean that King could intercede for Tarot. As far as love and fury, we know that King's love is towards Bailey. So what about his fury? No need to take guesses here on where that would be directed towards. It's definitely Pete. But what about what Pete said about King compared to Bailey? "She's a lot more powerful than you would have ever been." In what terms does he mean by this? Hypothetically, it could simply mean in terms of being Pete's avatar, not necessarily one for someone else (as King's fury probably couldn't be directed towards his own master to make him effective).

I'm not fluent about stats and such, but just based on the class in this scenario of two White Avengers fighting against each other, couldn't King be stronger than Bailey? Their love is for each other, likely equal in nature, but what about their fury? I get the feeling that King's fury towards Pete would overpower any fury Bailey would have in this instance.

This is just my theory.


That...is an interesting theory indeed.

It's a long shot though. First, let it be noted that King's anger isn't directed at Pete exclusively, but to all the comic nerds, and to the whole game in general. Would King be willing to fight for dragon, even if it were to bring about Pete's defeat? If so, it would be on his own accord, for dragon is not manipulative like Pete, although she may 'encourage' King to assist her. But still, the big question remains, if King were to attack Pete in this manner, he would have to go through BAILEY. King is clearly aware of this fact, will he go with this plan? Surely he is not okay with attacking his own wife just to bring Pete to justice.

Okay, lets just say that he DOES in fact go with this crazy idea. There is no doubt that Pete, being omniscient, will know of it immediately, and will do all in his power to defend himself with Bailey the meat shield. King, being mortal, will not be able to overcome Pete's defense and will be forced to back down, unless he is okay with hurting his wife. Dragon cannot help King in this situation. At all. Unless she exploits a flaw in Pete's Bailey shield strategy, but this is still highly unlikely, as Pete, again, being omniscient, will probably have constructed his plan in such a way that it cannot be foiled. To add to this point, we don't know what the contract Bailey signed entails, she could have agreed to be mind controlled by Pete for all we know, and a mind controlled Bailey attacking King? That just makes everything more complicated and unlikely.

It's not a bad idea really, and I'm sure Rick could make this work. But so far, I can see too many problems with this and the story itself doesn't seem to lead anywhere, which is not the objective of a conclusive arc. Not to mention that the forum discussion would most certainly blow up again. Its also spontaneous and unpredictable...I like that though :P


Well, atm, the reason Bailey chose to even be a part of the cosmic game was for King, but the reward (her wishes granted) is only if she wins. She still has the possibility of losing against Tarot (and if what people say is true, her chances as a melee class is low vs the supposed magic class Tarot will be). My line of thinking was that if King were to take Tarot's place, it wouldn't matter who won, because in a sense, they both want the same thing. Of course the whole idea of hurting his wife sounds like the worst possible thing to do, but unless I'm mistaken, the players in this cosmic game don't actually get hurt. That's mainly based on my interpretation of what Kitsune meant when he said that he liked them and didn't want them getting hurt on his account, since they chose their world to play the game in. I kinda want to think of it as the avatars just feeling weak to the point of not being able to fight than to receive and inflict mortal wounds. While refusing to fight is one way to show how much you love someone, there have been numerous times where lovers would spar with each other to demonstrate the same thing.

I guess what I mainly want to happen in this is for Pete to get his just desserts from King, whom he's messed with for so long. Granted, it was because of Pete that King had this new and better life, but Pete's continual interfering can just go too far sometimes.


Sat May 17, 2014 11:01 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 05, 2014 8:31 pm
Posts: 421
Images: 1
Location: Nowhere, Everywhere County
Post Re: 2014/05/16 - Parting Blows
WhoElseButQuagmire wrote:
restcure wrote:
I'm still waiting ... silently waiting ... for the time when someone will simply REFUSE to "wake up" on command - just to see where things go.


Keene did his best to avoid it, but failed.


That just reminded me! :o Keene is qualified as Pete's minion. That would make him subservient to Bailey, and since he's so rich, Bailey could quite literally do anything she wants while staying inside of the laws.

_________________
There is always a mystical adventure awaiting you. You just have to find it and take the first step into epicness.
Image


Sat May 17, 2014 11:04 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:34 am
Posts: 34
Images: 0
Location: In the north eastern part of the second largest state in the US
Post Re: 2014/05/16 - Parting Blows
This arch is going to leave me brain dead for a number of months because of all the possible outcomes that can occur after every single strip

And if King wakes up as Joel i'm going on a table flipping spree.

_________________
The logic!?!? Where has it gone?


Sat May 17, 2014 3:03 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:59 pm
Posts: 132
Post Re: 2014/05/16 - Parting Blows
KingForevermore wrote:
And if King wakes up as Joel i'm going on a table flipping spree.


I wouldn't be surprised if King wakes up as Joel near Fox. With a Fox having a Homer Simpson "Why you little" wring his neck reaction.
Image


Sat May 17, 2014 4:39 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:47 am
Posts: 620
Post Re: 2014/05/16 - Parting Blows
KingForevermore wrote:
This arch is going to leave me brain dead for a number of months because of all the possible outcomes that can occur after every single strip


That's why they make 47-sided dice.


Sat May 17, 2014 4:54 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:26 am
Posts: 144
Location: Sac, CA
Post Re: 2014/05/16 - Parting Blows
Leomon2004 wrote:
KingForevermore wrote:
And if King wakes up as Joel i'm going on a table flipping spree.


I wouldn't be surprised if King wakes up as Joel near Fox. With a Fox having a Homer Simpson "Why you little" wring his neck reaction.
Image


It's one reason why I have no problem with King reverting back to Joel, because of the craziness that would ensue with him amongst those he knows. But, I don't want him to stay a human for too long. Just enough for some funny business.


Sat May 17, 2014 4:56 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:47 am
Posts: 620
Post Re: 2014/05/16 - Parting Blows
Discostew wrote:
Leomon2004 wrote:
KingForevermore wrote:
And if King wakes up as Joel i'm going on a table flipping spree.


I wouldn't be surprised if King wakes up as Joel near Fox. With a Fox having a Homer Simpson "Why you little" wring his neck reaction.
Image


It's one reason why I have no problem with King reverting back to Joel, because of the craziness that would ensue with him amongst those he knows. But, I don't want him to stay a human for too long. Just enough for some funny business.


I'd rather have Keene find him and try to exploit/blackmail this being who has equalized human and animal kind.


Sat May 17, 2014 5:28 pm
Profile

Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 6:43 pm
Posts: 6
Post Re: 2014/05/16 - Parting Blows
Pete planned this whole Bailey switcheroo thing a long while back (2 years ago by our time):
http://www.housepetscomic.com/2012/06/0 ... year-four/

The fact was, as Dragon pointed out in panel 2, that King was no longer viable as a Dark Paladin, since Dark Paladins are powered by discontent:
http://www.housepetscomic.com/2012/05/2 ... -you-know/

Discostew wrote:
So why a White Avenger? Based on The Handbook of Players, Chapter 9 verse 45, "Those who of love and fury intercede for another may themselves take on the power of the White Avenger". From what I understand of this verse, the one that intercedes for another isn't necessary interceding for a loved one.

The use of the word "of" in this context makes the meaning something like this:
"Those who intercede in love and fury for another"

The fact is that the love in question has to be the subject of the "interceding". The person in question has to intercede out of love. The one they are interceding for can of course be different from the one they love, but such a case would be rare. If the loved person in question had friends or family and their life was at stake, then such a condition could be met. The person doing the "interceding" might be helping someone else, but doing so for the sake of the one they love.

If King did intercede for Tarot, the fact is that he has no-one to become an avatar for, and there isn't love subjected to the actual "interceding". Sure King's love for Bailey is strong, but if the love in question isn't the subject of his interceding for Tarot, then the conditions cannot be met.


Sat May 17, 2014 8:19 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 1:16 am
Posts: 349
Images: 70
Post Re: 2014/05/16 - Parting Blows
Gotta say this really is an arc for analysts.


Sun May 18, 2014 12:57 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 9:06 pm
Posts: 22
Post Re: 2014/05/16 - Parting Blows
andwhyisit wrote:
The fact was, as Dragon pointed out in panel 2, that King was no longer viable as a Dark Paladin, since Dark Paladins are powered by discontent:
http://www.housepetscomic.com/2012/05/2 ... -you-know/


Unless King is his ace in the hole in the event Bailey loses. The forth panel of this page implies that these duels are potentially to the death, or at least death is a possible outcome. If that is the case then King would have his reason to be Pete's willing avatar and he would be filled with even more discontent then he had either as Joel or King because not only would he have an animal he thought he knew and trusted (Tarot) 'turn' on him again, he will have lost something so precious to him that he was willing to give up his old life to keep it.

If Dark Paladins are powered by discontent then King in this scenario would be a immense force to be reckoned with; and the penalty for him being a human turned into a dog without his consent would be removed if Pete turned him back into a human first, Bailey dies which gives Joel the motivation ask to become king again so he can be an avatar.

Pete may have essentially made up for all that time he's been trapped in the desert without followers by not only finding one willing avatar but grooming another to wait on standby without either King himself or Dragon knowing. Whether its to even the odds or turn them in his favor I could only guess. Just my two cents

Edit: I just thought of another thing in regards to my theory after reading one of the last things Pete said to King about Bailey being "a lot more powerful then he ever would have been". If he is stating that Bailey is a more ideal avatar over King under any circumstances, shouldn't he have said "She's a lot more powerful then you ever could be?". I don't want to take my theory into even darker territories but... there could be a possibility here that he's actually counting on Bailey getting hurt or dying and King is still his top pick for an avatar.


Sun May 18, 2014 1:27 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:25 am
Posts: 509
Location: Texas
Post Re: 2014/05/16 - Parting Blows
ConvoyWolf wrote:
Gotta say this really is an arc for analysts.

So far, pretty much any King arc is ripe for analysis. Interesting how he became such a hot topic so quickly.

Me: "New King arc, let's see what happens now." :)
Everyone else: (huge amount of analysis)
Me:"...So, should I join, or just enjoy the ride like I always have?" :?

Granted, I have my own thoughts, but I prefer to see where Rick spins the story.

_________________
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.

Check out my DeviantART if you'd like: http://d-rock92.deviantart.com/


Sun May 18, 2014 2:04 am
Profile

Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 6:43 pm
Posts: 6
Post Re: 2014/05/16 - Parting Blows
Silvermane wrote:
The forth panel of this page implies that these duels are potentially to the death, or at least death is a possible outcome.
It implies that not all avatars can handle the power that they are given (panel 4). Furthermore the avatars fought Archdemons (panel 5), so that's where uninitiated avatars would have lost their lives (as implied by panel 4's image). The duel itself came into effect later on (panel 5). There is nothing to indicate that Bailey will die because we don't know the nature of the duel. And lets be honest, if Bailey died during the duel then King would simply stop caring.


Sun May 18, 2014 2:13 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:26 am
Posts: 144
Location: Sac, CA
Post Re: 2014/05/16 - Parting Blows
Silvermane wrote:
andwhyisit wrote:
The fact was, as Dragon pointed out in panel 2, that King was no longer viable as a Dark Paladin, since Dark Paladins are powered by discontent:
http://www.housepetscomic.com/2012/05/2 ... -you-know/


Unless King is his ace in the hole in the event Bailey loses. The forth panel of this page implies that these duels are potentially to the death, or at least death is a possible outcome. If that is the case then King would have his reason to be Pete's willing avatar and he would be filled with even more discontent then he had either as Joel or King because not only would he have an animal he thought he knew and trusted (Tarot) 'turn' on him again, he will have lost something so precious to him that he was willing to give up his old life to keep it.

If Dark Paladins are powered by discontent then King in this scenario would be a immense force to be reckoned with; and the penalty for him being a human turned into a dog without his consent would be removed if Pete turned him back into a human first, Bailey dies which gives Joel the motivation ask to become king again so he can be an avatar.

Pete may have essentially made up for all that time he's been trapped in the desert without followers by not only finding one willing avatar but grooming another to wait on standby without either King himself or Dragon knowing. Whether its to even the odds or turn them in his favor I could only guess. Just my two cents

Edit: I just thought of another thing in regards to my theory after reading one of the last things Pete said to King about Bailey being "a lot more powerful then he ever would have been". If he is stating that Bailey is a more ideal avatar over King under any circumstances, shouldn't he have said "She's a lot more powerful then you ever could be?". I don't want to take my theory into even darker territories but... there could be a possibility here that he's actually counting on Bailey getting hurt or dying and King is still his top pick for an avatar.


But I thought it was already mentioned that Rick wouldn't kill off any characters (excluding the short-lived Faust)? The only "death" I could imagine Rick doing is where players/avatars are dead as part of the game, but not in general.

I think I'm beginning to understand Rick's feelings of ending this arc/game quickly. In my honest opinion, it's overpowering the Housepets comic, becoming the focus rather than a side-story, and its dramatization is what's getting people's attention over other arcs that are simply entertaining. Yes, this cosmic game is what brought about numerous entertaining arcs like with Joel/King, but when people talk about Housepets, what will come to people's minds first? I've rarely posted on these forums until recently, and this was because before, I simply enjoyed the comics for their lightheartedness. Now, however, things are getting serious, possibly too serious, and this is causing people, myself included, to become uneasy.

One last thing about the possibility of death. Death just does not fit the Housepets mantra, and while Faust was brought up to prove otherwise, how was that handled? Certainly not with drama. It was basically, "I am cat, you are lunch", and that was it.


Sun May 18, 2014 2:49 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 1:16 am
Posts: 349
Images: 70
Post Re: 2014/05/16 - Parting Blows
Discostew wrote:
Silvermane wrote:
andwhyisit wrote:
The fact was, as Dragon pointed out in panel 2, that King was no longer viable as a Dark Paladin, since Dark Paladins are powered by discontent:
http://www.housepetscomic.com/2012/05/2 ... -you-know/


Unless King is his ace in the hole in the event Bailey loses. The forth panel of this page implies that these duels are potentially to the death, or at least death is a possible outcome. If that is the case then King would have his reason to be Pete's willing avatar and he would be filled with even more discontent then he had either as Joel or King because not only would he have an animal he thought he knew and trusted (Tarot) 'turn' on him again, he will have lost something so precious to him that he was willing to give up his old life to keep it.

If Dark Paladins are powered by discontent then King in this scenario would be a immense force to be reckoned with; and the penalty for him being a human turned into a dog without his consent would be removed if Pete turned him back into a human first, Bailey dies which gives Joel the motivation ask to become king again so he can be an avatar.

Pete may have essentially made up for all that time he's been trapped in the desert without followers by not only finding one willing avatar but grooming another to wait on standby without either King himself or Dragon knowing. Whether its to even the odds or turn them in his favor I could only guess. Just my two cents

Edit: I just thought of another thing in regards to my theory after reading one of the last things Pete said to King about Bailey being "a lot more powerful then he ever would have been". If he is stating that Bailey is a more ideal avatar over King under any circumstances, shouldn't he have said "She's a lot more powerful then you ever could be?". I don't want to take my theory into even darker territories but... there could be a possibility here that he's actually counting on Bailey getting hurt or dying and King is still his top pick for an avatar.


But I thought it was already mentioned that Rick wouldn't kill off any characters (excluding the short-lived Faust)? The only "death" I could imagine Rick doing is where players/avatars are dead as part of the game, but not in general.

I think I'm beginning to understand Rick's feelings of ending this arc/game quickly. In my honest opinion, it's overpowering the Housepets comic, becoming the focus rather than a side-story, and its dramatization is what's getting people's attention over other arcs that are simply entertaining. Yes, this cosmic game is what brought about numerous entertaining arcs like with Joel/King, but when people talk about Housepets, what will come to people's minds first? I've rarely posted on these forums until recently, and this was because before, I simply enjoyed the comics for their lightheartedness. Now, however, things are getting serious, possibly too serious, and this is causing people, myself included, to become uneasy.

One last thing about the possibility of death. Death just does not fit the Housepets mantra, and while Faust was brought up to prove otherwise, how was that handled? Certainly not with drama. It was basically, "I am cat, you are lunch", and that was it.


Well spoken good sir! I like your attitude!.....I like your Avatar and i like your name!


Sun May 18, 2014 2:55 am
Profile WWW
Game Master
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 6:53 am
Posts: 14968
Location: Italy
Post Re: 2014/05/16 - Parting Blows
At first, I was like 'meh' with the cosmic game saga. But I had grown to enjoy the idea of this big supernatural thing going on, parallel to the 'slice of life' comic we love.

But I also firmly believe that everyone would've enjoyed more the cosmic game saga, had we had a better comprehension of the Game's dynamics for a starter. Since King's first actual meeting with the board players, I was left with a 'uh?' sensation all the way. A lot of philosphical jargon, convenient avatar classes popping out without us even knowing WHAT an avatar was supposed to do and how many classes are out there! The sensation was (and is) that Rick makes up avatar classes as it comes convenient.

Pete's first apperance brought us King. Pete was a jerk, a cute one, but he was doing something good and everyone can honestly say that King learnt the lesson...But then Pete descended to the level of the 'dog-kicking' villain. Everything he did caused more sufference to King's life and left us with one more year of speculations and sometimes anguish. When a reader really, really loves a character, no matter how rationally he should think and say to himself "Okay, things will go better,". When you like a character enough, and you see him suffer, you WANT to be there and strangle the villain, period! It's what makes a story great.

Dragon, eventually, started showing some growing after losing the battle for Peanut's heart. So far, Pete only showed how much evil he is -heck, one wonders how could someone like him belong to HEAVENS at all. But then again, Dragon may speak of love and all but she DID act like a creepy stalker fangirl with Peanut. And i am totally surprised that Tarot accepted to share a date with her BOYFRIEND with her rival in love. Plus, the fact that Dragon accepts to play this game that has caused so much sufference to mortals makes me reconsider her ethical balance...

In fact, as for the moment, I still hope that the REAL stroke of genius from Rick will be revealing that Pete IS the good guy after all -or at least that he has a golden heart. Rick is a true master of characterization, and Pete is being too much obviously a one-dimensional jerk to think he can't be better than that. During the trial in heaven, we saw him being caring for his avatar, didn't definitely look like a pose.

I really wished that, during this saga, a sort of teacher/pupil relationship woud develope between Pete and King. That King would train and end up an avatar with EPIC TRANSFORMATION, with Bailey coming to the rescue during the climax of the battle. It would've made more sense.
Instead, after everyone being led to believe that King was the chosen one, now BAILEY gets taken away, put at risk of life! I can't speak for Rick Griffin of course, but my suspect is that the current arc was planned as to end up with Bailey revealed as the potential new avatar. Rick, please, do not take this personally, it's not hate from my part: but when the build up appears to be torment for a couple of beloved characters, for NO OTHER REASON THAN FUN OF THE COSMIC PLAYERS, as a reader, one year after the other, I'll stop thinking "Wow, I can't wait to see what Pete will come up with next!". No... I'll SCREAM "Please let this pain end NOW!"
Because you're that good. And this time it backfired.

I hope that there will be more of the heavenly characters in the future, though the potentialities are great.
And now, on with the show!

_________________
Image
Image


Sun May 18, 2014 3:34 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 1:16 am
Posts: 349
Images: 70
Post Re: 2014/05/16 - Parting Blows
valerio wrote:
At first, I was like 'meh' with the cosmic game saga. But I had grown to enjoy the idea of this big supernatural thing going on, parallel to the 'slice of life' comic we love.

But I also firmly believe that everyone would've enjoyed more the cosmic game saga, had we had a better comprehension of the Game's dynamics for a starter. Since King's first actual meeting with the board players, I was left with a 'uh?' sensation all the way. A lot of philosphical jargon, convenient avatar classes popping out without us even knowing WHAT an avatar was supposed to do and how many classes are out there! The sensation was (and is) that Rick makes up avatar classes as it comes convenient.

Pete's first apperance brought us King. Pete was a jerk, a cute one, but he was doing something good and everyone can honestly say that King learnt the lesson...But then Pete descended to the level of the 'dog-kicking' villain. Everything he did caused more sufference to King's life and left us with one more year of speculations and sometimes anguish. When a reader really, really loves a character, no matter how rationally he should think and say to himself "Okay, things will go better,". When you like a character enough, and you see him suffer, you WANT to be there and strangle the villain, period! It's what makes a story great.

Dragon, eventually, started showing some growing after losing the battle for Peanut's heart. So far, Pete only showed how much evil he is -heck, one wonders how could someone like him belong to HEAVENS at all. But then again, Dragon may speak of love and all but she DID act like a creepy stalker fangirl with Peanut. And i am totally surprised that Tarot accepted to share a date with her BOYFRIEND with her rival in love. Plus, the fact that Dragon accepts to play this game that has caused so much sufference to mortals makes me reconsider her ethical balance...

In fact, as for the moment, I still hope that the REAL stroke of genius from Rick will be revealing that Pete IS the good guy after all -or at least that he has a golden heart. Rick is a true master of characterization, and Pete is being too much obviously a one-dimensional jerk to think he can't be better than that. During the trial in heaven, we saw him being caring for his avatar, didn't definitely look like a pose.

I really wished that, during this saga, a sort of teacher/pupil relationship woud develope between Pete and King. That King would train and end up an avatar with EPIC TRANSFORMATION, with Bailey coming to the rescue during the climax of the battle. It would've made more sense.
Instead, after everyone being led to believe that King was the chosen one, now BAILEY gets taken away, put at risk of life! I can't speak for Rick Griffin of course, but my suspect is that the current arc was planned as to end up with Bailey revealed as the potential new avatar. Rick, please, do not take this personally, it's not hate from my part: but when the build up appears to be torment for a couple of beloved characters, for NO OTHER REASON THAN FUN OF THE COSMIC PLAYERS, as a reader, one year after the other, I'll stop thinking "Wow, I can't wait to see what Pete will come up with next!". No... I'll SCREAM "Please let this pain end NOW!"
Because you're that good. And this time it backfired.

I hope that there will be more of the heavenly characters in the future, though the potentialities are great.
And now, on with the show!



Nicely written bro. I feel the same way but you articulate it perfectly!


Sun May 18, 2014 4:06 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:34 pm
Posts: 3323
Location: Noonkkot <32,64,51>
Post Re: 2014/05/16 - Parting Blows
Discostew wrote:
One last thing about the possibility of death. Death just does not fit the Housepets mantra, and while Faust was brought up to prove otherwise, how was that handled? Certainly not with drama. It was basically, "I am cat, you are lunch", and that was it.
Image

_________________
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @


Sun May 18, 2014 5:13 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 9:06 pm
Posts: 22
Post Re: 2014/05/16 - Parting Blows
Discostew wrote:
But I thought it was already mentioned that Rick wouldn't kill off any characters (excluding the short-lived Faust)? The only "death" I could imagine Rick doing is where players/avatars are dead as part of the game, but not in general.

I think I'm beginning to understand Rick's feelings of ending this arc/game quickly. In my honest opinion, it's overpowering the Housepets comic, becoming the focus rather than a side-story, and its dramatization is what's getting people's attention over other arcs that are simply entertaining. Yes, this cosmic game is what brought about numerous entertaining arcs like with Joel/King, but when people talk about Housepets, what will come to people's minds first? I've rarely posted on these forums until recently, and this was because before, I simply enjoyed the comics for their lightheartedness. Now, however, things are getting serious, possibly too serious, and this is causing people, myself included, to become uneasy.

One last thing about the possibility of death. Death just does not fit the Housepets mantra, and while Faust was brought up to prove otherwise, how was that handled? Certainly not with drama. It was basically, "I am cat, you are lunch", and that was it.


Fair points, and also to the posters before. As to the game overpowering the main comic and being brought to an end quickly, while the cosmic game is what got me into the comic, I don't think I'll mind it being brought to a close. Part of me hopes Pete loses and the mortal form he gets trapped in is a dog with King and Bailey ending up as his tutors, only without the same jerkiness he showed them. Either that or end up being Bailey and Kings first born XD


Sun May 18, 2014 10:15 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 1:16 am
Posts: 349
Images: 70
Post Re: 2014/05/16 - Parting Blows
Silvermane wrote:
Discostew wrote:
But I thought it was already mentioned that Rick wouldn't kill off any characters (excluding the short-lived Faust)? The only "death" I could imagine Rick doing is where players/avatars are dead as part of the game, but not in general.

I think I'm beginning to understand Rick's feelings of ending this arc/game quickly. In my honest opinion, it's overpowering the Housepets comic, becoming the focus rather than a side-story, and its dramatization is what's getting people's attention over other arcs that are simply entertaining. Yes, this cosmic game is what brought about numerous entertaining arcs like with Joel/King, but when people talk about Housepets, what will come to people's minds first? I've rarely posted on these forums until recently, and this was because before, I simply enjoyed the comics for their lightheartedness. Now, however, things are getting serious, possibly too serious, and this is causing people, myself included, to become uneasy.

One last thing about the possibility of death. Death just does not fit the Housepets mantra, and while Faust was brought up to prove otherwise, how was that handled? Certainly not with drama. It was basically, "I am cat, you are lunch", and that was it.


Fair points, and also to the posters before. As to the game overpowering the main comic and being brought to an end quickly, while the cosmic game is what got me into the comic, I don't think I'll mind it being brought to a close. Part of me hopes Pete loses and the mortal form he gets trapped in is a dog with King and Bailey ending up as his tutors, only without the same jerkiness he showed them. Either that or end up being Bailey and Kings first born XD


Dude thats probably my favorite possible outcome!


Sun May 18, 2014 12:46 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:26 am
Posts: 144
Location: Sac, CA
Post Re: 2014/05/16 - Parting Blows
Silvermane wrote:
Discostew wrote:
But I thought it was already mentioned that Rick wouldn't kill off any characters (excluding the short-lived Faust)? The only "death" I could imagine Rick doing is where players/avatars are dead as part of the game, but not in general.

I think I'm beginning to understand Rick's feelings of ending this arc/game quickly. In my honest opinion, it's overpowering the Housepets comic, becoming the focus rather than a side-story, and its dramatization is what's getting people's attention over other arcs that are simply entertaining. Yes, this cosmic game is what brought about numerous entertaining arcs like with Joel/King, but when people talk about Housepets, what will come to people's minds first? I've rarely posted on these forums until recently, and this was because before, I simply enjoyed the comics for their lightheartedness. Now, however, things are getting serious, possibly too serious, and this is causing people, myself included, to become uneasy.

One last thing about the possibility of death. Death just does not fit the Housepets mantra, and while Faust was brought up to prove otherwise, how was that handled? Certainly not with drama. It was basically, "I am cat, you are lunch", and that was it.


Fair points, and also to the posters before. As to the game overpowering the main comic and being brought to an end quickly, while the cosmic game is what got me into the comic, I don't think I'll mind it being brought to a close. Part of me hopes Pete loses and the mortal form he gets trapped in is a dog with King and Bailey ending up as his tutors, only without the same jerkiness he showed them. Either that or end up being Bailey and Kings first born XD


At first, I was against the latter option (of being Bailey and King's first-born) because he'd likely retain the same kind of jerkiness he expresses now, and therefore would continue to harass the two (mainly father-dearest :P ). But, the more I thought about it, the more it became apparent that Pete could actually change because of this in much the same way Joel/King changed after becoming a dog. As for the former option (where he'd simply turn into a mortal at a particular age, if that's what you meant), while he could go through a similar change, I don't think this option is a possibility, because the deal is, "the loser is locked in a mortal body for a full lifetime". That makes me think that he will go through the birth process, all the way through until his death. Though to be born, he would have to have parents (or at least a mother). I think any females that are currently pregnant are not options, as that would interfere with the existing souls that inhabit the bodies already growing (though he could just be adding to the litter). But then, if he was born of parents that don't get enough screen time, then that might affect how his arc of growing up would be presented. So, if he were sharing screen time with Bailey and King, his "growing" up could be included. I can see familiar scenarios happening at a young age....

King: "Can you say Daddy?"
Pete: "......NOT DA MAMA!" *WHACK!*

After much pondering, I've concluded that I would love to have him be King and Bailey's offspring (assuming he loses, and assuming that King stays a dog and both he and Bailey are together again).

ConvoyWolf wrote:
I like your attitude!.....I like your Avatar and i like your name!


Thanks. I just cropped out the avatar yesterday because I'm so attached to King and Bailey being together. It's why I'm pretty vocal about this arc.


Sun May 18, 2014 2:06 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 5:09 am
Posts: 289
Post Re: 2014/05/16 - Parting Blows
KingForevermore wrote:
And if King wakes up as Joel i'm going on a table flipping spree.


Get in line.

Discostew wrote:
At first, I was against the latter option (of being Bailey and King's first-born) because he'd likely retain the same kind of jerkiness he expresses now, and therefore would continue to harass the two (mainly father-dearest :P ). But, the more I thought about it, the more it became apparent that Pete could actually change because of this in much the same way Joel/King changed after becoming a dog. As for the former option (where he'd simply turn into a mortal at a particular age, if that's what you meant), while he could go through a similar change, I don't think this option is a possibility, because the deal is, "the loser is locked in a mortal body for a full lifetime". That makes me think that he will go through the birth process, all the way through until his death. Though to be born, he would have to have parents (or at least a mother). I think any females that are currently pregnant are not options, as that would interfere with the existing souls that inhabit the bodies already growing (though he could just be adding to the litter). But then, if he was born of parents that don't get enough screen time, then that might affect how his arc of growing up would be presented. So, if he were sharing screen time with Bailey and King, his "growing" up could be included. I can see familiar scenarios happening at a young age....

King: "Can you say Daddy?"
Pete: "......NOT DA MAMA!" *WHACK!*


Oh good lord, you're right! I'd forgotten about that clause. o.o


Sun May 18, 2014 4:42 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 6:53 am
Posts: 489
Location: A PLACE
Post Re: 2014/05/16 - Parting Blows
Wait...has anyone even considered where Bailey's going? Pete says "the other side of the world" meaning it could be Australia. But judging by the armor, it would be Japan.





Anyone got any ideas?

_________________
Feel my icy wrath!


Sun May 18, 2014 7:29 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:47 am
Posts: 620
Post Re: 2014/05/16 - Parting Blows
Anyone think a rehumanized Joel would become some kind of missing link/symbol between humans and animals to be exploited/blackmailed by Keene?


Sun May 18, 2014 8:54 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 9:06 pm
Posts: 22
Post Re: 2014/05/16 - Parting Blows
WhoElseButQuagmire wrote:
Anyone think a rehumanized Joel would become some kind of missing link/symbol between humans and animals to be exploited/blackmailed by Keene?


The thought had crossed my mind, however given his checkered past... he'd have virtually zero creditability in the human community as Joel, and even as King people would probably just think its cute that a dog thinks its a human... or that he's nuts. If Keene was to use Joel he'd basically have ensure knowledge of Joel's participation in their cause remains in house (afterall Joel is technically a criminal since he 'escaped' holding before his trial), As King he could probably spin something like reincarnation or past lives stuff... then make money off the movie rights XD


Sun May 18, 2014 9:41 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 1:16 am
Posts: 349
Images: 70
Post Re: 2014/05/16 - Parting Blows
The way i see it after studying King from his days as Joel to now, i think he has a chance at winning the day. Lets be real, hes a pretty smart guy. Plus hes Ex PETA so he knows how to get information and rescources and to infiltrate things which despite being a dog now im sure there would be a way. Would kinda be cool if he remembered a sorta stash of tranqs he had somewhere from his PETA days and after infiltratin the Milton house he storms into Keenes office, two oversized tranq guns in his little arms and says "I came to see a ferret about a gryphon!"


Sun May 18, 2014 10:49 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:26 am
Posts: 144
Location: Sac, CA
Post Re: 2014/05/16 - Parting Blows
Ok, I'm getting really anxious yet excited about what's going to happen next. I assume it'll be updated any minute now.


Sun May 18, 2014 11:05 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software for PTF.