2014/06/23 - One Person You Meet In Heaven

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Welsh Halfwit

Re: 2014/06/23 - One Person You Meet In Heaven

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:
rickgriffin wrote:
Argent wrote:
Also, I guess Rick abandoned his announced holiday from the forums.
No, I just let my curiosity get the best of me, so I decided to remind myself why I wanted to take a holiday
Should be here on a Pete strip then(!)

People here LOVE King & Fox!
To add to the above, I should point out that it's by no means just here, sir. It's with other strips as well. Take ENDTOWN, for example. Most of the characters have many fans but there is one with virtually no fans and a lot of haters. Aaron Marx. A near-cosmically powered jerk with a strange sense of humour and an annoying habit of dropping characters right in it because it'll turn out right in the long run. It seems to be a general thing that even the entertaining jerk with cosmic powers is VITAL for plot but annoys readers somewhat.

I note a lot less people hate Dragon. She has a warmth he lacks.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
SergeiTheFox

Post by SergeiTheFox »

WhoElseButQuagmire wrote: That's right, I keep forgetting that they are cousins, not brother/sister.

And...I just read the alt text, so I now realize Joel's Dad is still alive. Poor guy must wonder where his son disappeared to. Unless of course he's an Expy of Sasha's Dad.
I know this sounds a little dark, but there is a possibility that Joel's dad is in hell....
oh hey look more text

now it looks pretty

and slanted uwu

I check this profile like once a year or so, so if you need to reach me I'm on telegram @awootimestwo
Bree

Post by Bree »

Loved it .. and the line out of a filk song that I have on tape, yes cassette tape and cd.. I am misquoting "that a mans dreams should exceed his grasp , for whats a heaven for??"
Byakko110

Post by Byakko110 »

There really is now way to adequately prepare for this particular conversation is there? "So... uh, which explanation do you want to hear first Mom?"

In all honesty though this is a very sweet scene and is especially heartwarming considering King apparently did not come from a very happy household.
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Yet another beautiful moment, great strip! :D The sort of sadness in it is well covered by the happiness of the meeting, with a touch of amusing. :)
What a nice special feeling in Fox, it's because of the joy of this place. :D Funny embarrassment, you could aspect that, King. ;) I would say that Joel's mom knows what happened to the son because she can watch and follow him from up in the skies, and so she hasn't always watched nice things happening to him... Good that Joel's mom succeeded to go here, though, despite her harsh treating of the family pets, if it's really true... So curious to know what's the father's bet, maybe it's about Joel's work at PETA... Also wondering what can be Joel's actual age.
This Heaven is for all the form of creatures, a place better than Earth, the best piece of the HP! universe. ;)
gamepopper wrote:
rickgriffin wrote:*I* wonder how they both just happened to run into their mothers inside of an infinite space within moments of each other
I'm guessing heaven just grants people whatever is on their mind whenever it's possible. Therefore when Fox remembers growing up in a barn, his mother appears, when Joel remarks on how sweet and embarrassing seeing Fox meet his mother, his mother appears.
I agree with this. It's enough use mind and memories to see materialized anything in a place that's a realm of the mind. ;) Concerning people and animals, they have to be already passed away and stay in Heaven, sadly and obviously.
Arvanas

Post by Arvanas »

If I seem to remember correctly, Joel's parents were abusive to him and his pets. So I a little surprised to see his mother in Heaven.
WhoElseButQuagmire

Post by WhoElseButQuagmire »

rickgriffin wrote:
colliefan wrote:
Kitch wrote:I supposed the real question is... How did she know it was Joel?
I wonder how she knew it was Joel as well.
*I* wonder how they both just happened to run into their mothers inside of an infinite space within moments of each other
Subjective time perhaps? Or the whole thing's been an illusion by Team Dragon to keep Joel and Fox distracted during the match?
Ryusuta

Post by Ryusuta »

Arvanas wrote:If I seem to remember correctly, Joel's parents were abusive to him and his pets. So I a little surprised to see his mother in Heaven.
I mentioned this on page 2 of the thread, as well. I think the going theory seems to be that his pets, being cruel and unsavory, might have exaggerated just how abused they were by his parents. It's technically possible that Joel himself lied, but that is simply not in his character. He's grumpy and holds a grudge for too long at times, but he is usually honest about his feelings unless he has a ****** good reason to keep them to himself (such as with Fox).

It leads me to wonder just where exactly his former pets are.

Mod Edit: Watch your language
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Ryusuta wrote:
Arvanas wrote:If I seem to remember correctly, Joel's parents were abusive to him and his pets. So I a little surprised to see his mother in Heaven.
I mentioned this on page 2 of the thread, as well. I think the going theory seems to be that his pets, being cruel and unsavory, might have exaggerated just how abused they were by his parents. It's technically possible that Joel himself lied, but that is simply not in his character. He's grumpy and holds a grudge for too long at times, but he is usually honest about his feelings unless he has a damned good reason to keep them to himself (such as with Fox).

It leads me to wonder just where exactly his former pets are.
Well since Joel was little at the time, it could be that his memory warped into something worse than it actually was.
colliefan

Post by colliefan »

I've just realized something, what if the bet was Joel would be dead before his time?
Colliefan, the name says it all.
Formerly SP.
Leomon2004

Post by Leomon2004 »

WhoElseButQuagmire wrote:Subjective time perhaps? Or the whole thing's been an illusion by Team Dragon to keep Joel and Fox distracted during the match?
Dragon doesn't seem the type to do something that manipulative in order to win. Pete is jerky enough to do something like that, but Dragon's too nice to do that.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Ryusuta wrote:It leads me to wonder just where exactly his former pets are.
Reincarnated as cows?
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
WhoElseButQuagmire

Argent wrote:
Reincarnated as cows?
Or one of them as a mouse with an eyepatch?
Ryusuta

Post by Ryusuta »

Leomon2004 wrote:
WhoElseButQuagmire wrote:Subjective time perhaps? Or the whole thing's been an illusion by Team Dragon to keep Joel and Fox distracted during the match?
Dragon doesn't seem the type to do something that manipulative in order to win. Pete is jerky enough to do something like that, but Dragon's too nice to do that.
Dragon is no saint, either. Look at all the lengths she went through to try to get Peanut's affections.
Perfesser_Bear

Post by Perfesser_Bear »

It's a little secret,
Just the Robinson's affair;
Their Joel was returned to them
A little worse for wear.

His parents were distraught
Said some things they might regret,
And you know it isn't easy
Being kidnapped by one's pet.

Coo coo ca-choo, Mrs. Robinson,
What wager did you make?
We do know its fruition
Did not precede your wake.

It won't make her happy
And it won't make her rich,
Her husband said, "Bet that boy grows up
A little son of a --"
King wrote:Son of a Charming Young Woman!
--Perfesser

Perfesser_Bear
Pundit Wannabe
Argent

Post by Argent »

Ryusuta wrote:Dragon is no saint, either. Look at all the lengths she went through to try to get Peanut's affections.
Not to mention why she was getting Tarot and Peanut together in the first place.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Argent wrote:
Ryusuta wrote:Dragon is no saint, either. Look at all the lengths she went through to try to get Peanut's affections.
Not to mention why she was getting Tarot and Peanut together in the first place.
All true but, don't forget, she's playing 'outside the rule book' here. They've indicated that they see love as 'beneath them', but she's learning the rules by making the wrong choices in how she goes about it. She encouraged Tarot to get close and merely watched, accompanying Tarot on the journey. By the time she realized she was in love with Peanut too, it was too late. She'll get better at it in time. Say another 5000 years...
Last edited by Welsh Halfwit on Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Leomon2004

Post by Leomon2004 »

I just noticed that King is wearing his ring.
Shadowstar23

Post by Shadowstar23 »

Leomon2004 wrote:I just noticed that King is wearing his ring.

Why wouldn't he be wearing his ring?
There is always a mystical adventure awaiting you. You just have to find it and take the first step into epicness.
Frank

Post by Frank »

Kyuunado wrote:Heaven must be the largest and most awkward social gathering in all of the universe. :lol:
And let's not forget "hey, I read your book and--"
"Oh, another one. Yes, I know I got the protrayal wrong, yes I know science does not work like that. Yes I know things changed more than I predicted. What else could you possibly point out?"
"...I...liked it"
"..oh"
Because "heaven is a realm of the mind" and all that. Should be no different than when you read "She saw Joel walkin down the gold street. Joel was now a dog."
WhoElseButQuagmire wrote:...or the whole thing's been an illusion by Team Dragon to keep Joel and Fox distracted during the match?
If it's an illusion, including Cerberus would not have been necessary, as King and Fox don't know she's part of heaven, and in fact would be more likely to accept a non-three-headed The Messenger (assuming Housepets-world lore updates on a similar basis as it does here on Earth)
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
TheOne
Location: Trapped in the center of the Galaxy. Need a starship to get out!

Post by TheOne »

Argent wrote:
Reincarnated as cows?
We'll have no mooore of that, please.
FantasticMrFox wrote:
Miles the Wolf wrote:
FantasticMrFox wrote:Quick question; How do you do all this fancy formatting with peoples names by the quotes and quotes inside other quotes? I'm brand new to all this forum stuff and could use some tips :P
Well first, you click quote on someone's post, then what they posted will appear in the box where you can type your own message. You can also open another link with the forums page and copy someone else's quote into yours. you can do this as many times as you want.
Hadn't even seen this button before it was mentioned, thanks for the help :)
Further: all the special formatting is done in brackets which surround the formatted text. So if I want something bold face I type it inside of [ b ] [ /b ]. For italics I type inside of [ i ] [ /i ].
Quoting is really fun because you don't always have to quote directly from the quote button. If I want to quote someone completely random, like Fred Rogers, I surround his name in quotation marks, then surround the quotation marks with brackets, including the word "quote." So, (without the spaces inside the brackets) [ quote="Fred Rogers" ] Let's think of something to do while we're waiting. [ /quote ] becomes...
Fred Rogers wrote: Let's think of something to do while we're waiting.
So in essence you can quote anyone or anything. The only "glitch" is that the word "wrote" always shows up and there's nothing I can do about it. Be sure to remember both quotation marks with the name. If you miss one or forget the "equals" sign, the quote won't show up how you want it. Lack of CAPS is also important. If you capitalize the b for bold or the i for italics it won't work.

You can change text size by encasing text and "size=number" in brackets. (Without spaces inside the brackets) [ size=50 ] small text [ /size ] becomes becomes small text [ size=200 ] huge text [ /size ] becomes huge text
50 is your low limit and 200 is your high limit for text size.

Images need to be linked to, and the url is encased in "img" which is, you guessed it, encased in brackets. So (without spaces inside the brackets) [ img ]https://fbcdn-photos-f-a.akamaihd.net/h ... 0959_n.jpg [ /img ] becomes Image
(By the way, that's me in the yellow suit)

URLs are also fun. You can show the full link by simply encasing it in brackets and "url" so (without spaces inside the brackets) [ url=www.google.com ] [ /url ] becomes www.google.com
If you want it to show up like this add another right bracket and some text before the "/url". (Without spaces inside the brackets) it will look like [ url=askjeeves.com ]like this][ /url ]

Colors are done by numbers as well, but I don't remember which numbers go with which colors.

All that I've said can be accomplished by clicking on buttons in the text editing page, but if, like me, you're running on a phone with a crash-prone browser, it's easier to edit on a notepad app and copy/paste into and out of the editing page. As a matter of fact this whole little tutorial was written on my Android.

Lastly, don't forget the preview button. It is a huge help and should be used every time you post, in my opinion. Just for this tutorial I used it about seven times to re-remember the URL requirements.

WhoElseButQuagmire wrote:
Argent wrote:
Reincarnated as cows?
Or one of them as a mouse with an eyepatch?
Viva la Revolucion!
Frank wrote:
Because "heaven is a realm of the mind" and all that. Should be no different than when you read "She saw Joel walkin down the gold street. Joel was now a dog."
I keep telling you it's scent! She could smell him coming from miles away! 8-)
Dag nabbed petty annoyances...
deepskycyan

Post by deepskycyan »

How King manages to explain his double life still amazes me. He did manage to convince Fox though, so his mother shouldn't be much of a challenge, even moreso now that she recognizes him.
"Reality continues to ruin my life." -B. Watterson
WhoElseButQuagmire

TheOne wrote: Image
(By the way, that's me in the yellow suit)
Your friend in the Doonesberry vest reminds me of a shaven Burger King (TM) King
TheOne wrote: I keep telling you it's scent! She could smell him coming from miles away! 8-)
So....in this universe, Al Pachino made a movie called "Scent of a Corgi"?
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Welsh Halfwit wrote: To add to the above, I should point out that it's by no means just here, sir. It's with other strips as well. Take ENDTOWN, for example. Most of the characters have many fans but there is one with virtually no fans and a lot of haters. Aaron Marx. A near-cosmically powered jerk with a strange sense of humour and an annoying habit of dropping characters right in it because it'll turn out right in the long run. It seems to be a general thing that even the entertaining jerk with cosmic powers is VITAL for plot but annoys readers somewhat.

I note a lot less people hate Dragon. She has a warmth he lacks.
Hey, I love Aaron Marx's all-problem-solving happy-go-luckyness and thoroughly dislike the dragon!
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
Hedronal

Post by Hedronal »

A lot of people wrote:How did she know it was Joel?
At this point I am operating on the assumption that the denizens of Hp heaven have some form of identity sense for these things, including on people met before they came to heaven.
WhoElseButQuagmire wrote:And...I just read the alt text, so I now realize Joel's Dad is still alive. Poor guy must wonder where his son disappeared to. Unless of course he's an Expy of Sasha's Dad.
Given that we don't know if King and Sasha's dad have actually met, one of my thoughts on this was of their fathers potentially being the same person, regardless of the improbability of it.
rickgriffin wrote:No, I just let my curiosity get the best of me, so I decided to remind myself why I wanted to take a holiday
Did it work?
Argent

Post by Argent »

Hedronal wrote:
A lot of people wrote:How did she know it was Joel?
At this point I am operating on the assumption that the denizens of Hp heaven have some form of identity sense for these things, including on people met before they came to heaven.
It's like SL.

"No, you just need to turn on nametags!"

*click*

Code: Select all

Mortal Visitor
       King (King Milton)
    joel.zechariah.robinson
       [no aethernet id]
WhoElseButQuagmire

Hedronal wrote:
WhoElseButQuagmire wrote:And...I just read the alt text, so I now realize Joel's Dad is still alive. Poor guy must wonder where his son disappeared to. Unless of course he's an Expy of Sasha's Dad.
Given that we don't know if King and Sasha's dad have actually met, one of my thoughts on this was of their fathers potentially being the same person, regardless of the improbability of it.
Huh..I never even considered that. If Pete had influenced Joel and his partner to go to Babylon Gardens to kidnap a dog in the first place, it might not be all that improbable at all.....
Spens

Post by Spens »

This could be one of the most touching comics to date. I'm not sure how intentional it was, but I REALLY feel for Fox here.
Naro Rivers

Post by Naro Rivers »

Argent wrote:
Obbl wrote:The comic does not take place in real time, so Peanut is still close-ish to the same age as he always was. ;)
It tracks real time pretty closely, particularly with Christmas lining up.
Individual arcs definitely happen in "comic time", but the comic as a whole seems to run right around real time. This part of "Heaven's Not Enough", where King and Fox are visiting Heaven, seems to pass approximately in real time (for example, just a few strips after this one, King is surprised to learn they'd been there for six months, and in real time they had).
It's difficult to wear gloves with webbed fingers...

When talking about a character, I often speak in D&D terms.

I'm participating in a forum game! You can find it here:
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

My interpretation of the bet was it may or may not have been what king guessed, but if it had been what King guessed, then his mother would've lost. His mother was too evasive to give any clues as to what the real bet was, but if you substitute the pronouns out of what she said in the alt text, you get "If you need to believe that you arrived in heaven before your father, yes". The "If you need to believe that" indicates the statement is false and if Joel didn't go to heaven before his father, then Joel's father got to heaven before King and therefor is dead. If both of Joel's parents are dead then that would make him Batman explain why we didn't see any loved ones searching for Joel after he disappeared. Preempting the inevitable discussion about my theory hinging on Joel's father getting into heaven after dying, it's not inconceivable that he would have the same off-screen merits that got his mom into heaven, and we don't see him for the same reason we don't see any other family members such as Fox's dad: the joke would be redundant and waste comic space.
The cape comes with the promotion.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Champion Wallace wrote:My interpretation of the bet was it may or may not have been what king guessed, but if it had been what King guessed, then his mother would've lost. His mother was too evasive to give any clues as to what the real bet was, but if you substitute the pronouns out of what she said in the alt text, you get "If you need to believe that you arrived in heaven before your father, yes". The "If you need to believe that" indicates the statement is false and if Joel didn't go to heaven before his father, then Joel's father got to heaven before King and therefor is dead. If both of Joel's parents are dead then that would make him Batman explain why we didn't see any loved ones searching for Joel after he disappeared. Preempting the inevitable discussion about my theory hinging on Joel's father getting into heaven after dying, it's not inconceivable that he would have the same off-screen merits that got his mom into heaven, and we don't see him for the same reason we don't see any other family members such as Fox's dad: the joke would be redundant and waste comic space.
You know, I think Fox’s Mom showing up might have also been to suggest most of the Housepets cast’s biological parents were gone by the time the comic started, with a possible exception to Grape (and Peanut by extension), who even the other kids viewed as a kitten compared to them. That’s kinda a shame though, while it’s for the best that most of the pets feel a familial relationship with their owners, it be neat if we got a sense of how pets in general feel about their biological parents
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Bailey: "We're dogs. We bounce back." But I too wonder about the exchange that might have taken place between Fox and his Mom...