2014/06/23 - One Person You Meet In Heaven

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
WhoElseButQuagmire

Re: 2014/06/23 - One Person You Meet In Heaven

Post by WhoElseButQuagmire »

Kitch wrote:I supposed the real question is... How did she know it was Joel?

And this is quite heartbreaking. Based on what Rick has implied about pet lifespans in the comic, it can be implied about Fox's mother that she died relatively young. :(

As for her looking like Bailey, that may be how they are related, assuming their being cousins is more than just a made-up relation based on the relation of their "parents".
That's right, I keep forgetting that they are cousins, not brother/sister.

And...I just read the alt text, so I now realize Joel's Dad is still alive. Poor guy must wonder where his son disappeared to. Unless of course he's an Expy of Sasha's Dad.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

OwlCity's "Angels" just started playing.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Wow, so Joel actually meets his mother in Heaven. That is something I was hoping to see for a long time, just to see his reaction when she found out. And she's cool with it. X3

Also was awesome getting to see Fox's mother too. *Teary eyes* Man, she looks so much like Bailey... now I wish Grape was there ;_;
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Argent wrote:Also, what happened to the forum links on the strips? There haven't been any for a while, and I don't remember any announcement about it. I especially miss the "Click here if [something embarassing]" links.
I'm glad you enjoy the link text! You're correct in that there was no specific announcement about this. I had no intention of going particularly in depth about the reason for my recent decreased activity, but I suppose I can share. I've been unemployed since December and my bank account ran dry in May. Home Internet service was my largest (and basically only) luxury expense and was disconnected. Thus, I'm not able to create the discussion threads or set up links to the forum unless I get the comics early, as the library I visit keeps daylight business hours. Our forum moderators currently do not have the necessary permissions to edit the comic page, so they cannot make the same kind of links.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
WhoElseButQuagmire

Post by WhoElseButQuagmire »

diss wrote:
Argent wrote:Also, what happened to the forum links on the strips? There haven't been any for a while, and I don't remember any announcement about it. I especially miss the "Click here if [something embarassing]" links.
I'm glad you enjoy the link text! You're correct in that there was no specific announcement about this. I had no intention of going particularly in depth about the reason for my recent decreased activity, but I suppose I can share. I've been unemployed since December and my bank account ran dry in May. Home Internet service was my largest (and basically only) luxury expense and was disconnected. Thus, I'm not able to create the discussion threads or set up links to the forum unless I get the comics early, as the library I visit keeps daylight business hours. Our forum moderators currently do not have the necessary permissions to edit the comic page, so they cannot make the same kind of links.
I'm sorry to hear that. Is there any way we can kick in a few bucks to help you out?
colliefan

Post by colliefan »

And this is quite heartbreaking. Based on what Rick has implied about pet lifespans in the comic, it can be implied about Fox's mother that she died relatively young. :(

As for her looking like Bailey, that may be how they are related, assuming their being cousins is more than just a made-up relation based on the relation of their "parents".

I wonder how she knew it was Joel as well.
But as others have said she may know her son no matter what his appearance, after all if you can choose your appearance there would have to be some other way of knowing who is who.

I guess King/Joel has some explaining to do, all it needs now is for him to meet his former pets.
Colliefan, the name says it all.
Formerly SP.
Bolly

Post by Bolly »

WhoElseButQuagmire wrote:
diss wrote:
I'm sorry to hear that. Is there any way we can kick in a few bucks to help you out?
+1

I know it wouldn't be much but I'd certainly throw in a few bucks to help out an old friend.
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

Well, Cerberus explained that:
Cerberus wrote:That means you are as you will it--how you perceive, and how you are perceived
And I really expect that a mother chooses to recognize her son.
ImageIf life gives you lemons, ask for salt and tequila.

Image Image
ImageImageImage
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

colliefan wrote:
*I* wonder how they both just happened to run into their mothers inside of an infinite space within moments of each other
I'm sure the cold hand of science will be able to overcome his magical powers
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

rickgriffin wrote:*I* wonder how they both just happened to run into their mothers inside of an infinite space within moments of each other
Heaven is of the mind!
Jamonius

Post by Jamonius »

Man this strip is both adorable and awkward at the same time! What would make it even more awkward though is if in the next strip or two both Fox's and King's moms meet each other and start swapping embarrassing stories of their kids childhoods.
rickgriffin wrote:
colliefan wrote:
*I* wonder how they both just happened to run into their mothers inside of an infinite space within moments of each other
Automated alerts when someone they knew comes through the Pearly Gates. Much like when we here in RL get alerts when something new is posted to like a twitter feed, facebook, things like that.

Mod Edit: If yours is the last post and you have more to say, use the edit button
Argent

Post by Argent »

rickgriffin wrote:*I* wonder how they both just happened to run into their mothers inside of an infinite space within moments of each other
There are no coincidences.
Jamonius wrote:Automated alerts when someone they knew comes through the Pearly Gates. Much like when we here in RL get alerts when something new is posted to like a twitter feed, facebook, things like that.
Or that.

Also, I guess Rick abandoned his announced holiday from the forums.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
gamepopper

Post by gamepopper »

I'm guessing heaven just grants people whatever is on their mind whenever it's possible. Therefore when Fox remembers growing up in a barn, his mother appears, when Joel remarks on how sweet and embarrassing seeing Fox meet his mother, his mother appears.
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

Argent wrote:
No, I just let my curiosity get the best of me, so I decided to remind myself why I wanted to take a holiday
I'm sure the cold hand of science will be able to overcome his magical powers
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

rickgriffin wrote:
Argent wrote:
No, I just let my curiosity get the best of me, so I decided to remind myself why I wanted to take a holiday
Should be here on a Pete strip then(!)

People here LOVE King & Fox!
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
FantasticMrFox

Post by FantasticMrFox »

^ they are quite possibly 2 of my favorite characters from this series
Shadowstar23

Post by Shadowstar23 »

That or she died of old age and chose to appear younger.
There is always a mystical adventure awaiting you. You just have to find it and take the first step into epicness.
ConvoyWolf

Post by ConvoyWolf »

rickgriffin wrote:

Still nice to see ya around again regardless Rick.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Perhaps good Moms just know?
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
TheOne
Location: Trapped in the center of the Galaxy. Need a starship to get out!

Post by TheOne »

ConvoyWolf wrote:Fox's mom looks like Bailey! Got me for a second! Thats so cute though.
...And she's become a kitsune as well...or our Rick is re-using artwork for some reason... That twin tail look seems like something that's been commented on before.

And the bet?

Mom: We should never have let them run away. Now Social Services has taken away our son! But at least he loves his pets. I'd bet he grows up to be a great man someday!

Dad: That boy is so much of a wimp. He ran away when he should've stood up. He's already a dog of a boy and I bet he'll become even more of one, you'll see.

...Don't know where all of that came from... I just think the bet was less specific about physical body type or who he'd marry, and more about the character traits he'd develop. Not getting religious, but in Jewish culture, being called a dog is about the worst insult there is.
GameCobra wrote:...Also was awesome getting to see Fox's mother too. *Teary eyes* Man, she looks so much like Bailey... now I wish Grape was there ;_;
Why Grape? Seeing Maximus Katt Sr's troll grin would be awesome! (I don't know if Max (or his Dad) have cool names like that, but I like the sound of it.
By the way, seeing Fox's mom there and seeing GameCobra's comment makes me wonder just how many ancestors of the cast there are up there. Two theories: one, the HP world is thousands of years old (creation) and there are tens of thousands of ancestors there. Two, the HP world is billions of years old (evolution) and there are billions of ancestors there... Family reunions must be awesome!
rickgriffin wrote:
colliefan wrote:
Scent! She could smell him coming from miles away! 8-)
Dag nabbed petty annoyances...
gamepopper

Post by gamepopper »

Xane wrote:We don't really know how old Fox is, but since he was a pup in Housepets Babies! he can't be that old. We don't know how old most of the pets are, but we know the ones we saw in the flashback are still pretty young. Ralph is older but probably not by a whole lot. Rufus is up there, and Sabrina is older than dirt. :P
As far as I recall, the only (or at least one of the only) animals with a defined age is Peanut. I remember reading an early description that he's five years old, which assuming this comic takes place in near real time, Peanut is probably 11 years old by now.

The only hints we have for Sabrina's age is that she left the Faraga nation when she was six months old, and she was around when cell phones weren't common place, so she could be in her 30s at youngest. o.o
Ryusuta

Post by Ryusuta »

WAIT A MINUTE! HOLD THE PHONE! OBJECTION! CONTRADICTION!

Wait!

Joel's MOTHER is in heaven? The same mother who allegedly abused her pets?

There is something majorly fishy here. Either she's done something to redeem herself or perhaps... Joel was lying about his childhood?

Edit: Or that his PETS were lying, which seems the most likely solution. either way, I'm curious about this.
Last edited by Ryusuta on Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kailen

Post by Kailen »

I just had to register to state that that was one of the funniest comics I've ever seen. Kudos.
FantasticMrFox

Post by FantasticMrFox »

Wait!

There is something majorly fishy here. Either she's done something to redeem herself or perhaps... Joel was lying about his childhood?
Just remember how some children think they have it alot worse than they actually do. Maybe Joel convinced himself that he had it really bad when he didn't?
Ryusuta

Post by Ryusuta »

FantasticMrFox wrote:
Wait!

Just remember how some children think they have it alot worse than they actually do. Maybe Joel convinced himself that he had it really bad when he didn't?
That occured to me, as well. Especially if his pets were truly so cruel to him. Maybe they were bad from the start and manipulated him into thinking they were abused. That makes sense. I wonder if this will be elaborated upon.
FantasticMrFox

Post by FantasticMrFox »

Quick question; How do you do all this fancy formatting with peoples names by the quotes and quotes inside other quotes? I'm brand new to all this forum stuff and could use some tips :P
Miles the Wolf

Post by Miles the Wolf »

Hold on a second, how did Joel's mom even recognize him? Was it because of his voice? Anyways, I really want to see what this bet is all about.
I'm thinking of starting a Fan Fiction, should I do it? Send me a PM with some ideas and names of characters!
Blood is red, the sky is blue, this knife is sharp, and your dead too!
Ryusuta

Post by Ryusuta »

FantasticMrFox wrote:Quick question; How do you do all this fancy formatting with peoples names by the quotes and quotes inside other quotes? I'm brand new to all this forum stuff and could use some tips :P
[ quote="Username"][ /quote]

Without the spaces.

Alternately, hit the "quote" button on their post.
FantasticMrFox

Post by FantasticMrFox »

Ryusuta wrote:
FantasticMrFox wrote:Quick question; How do you do all this fancy formatting with peoples names by the quotes and quotes inside other quotes? I'm brand new to all this forum stuff and could use some tips :P
[ quote="Username"][ /quote]

Without the spaces.

Alternately, hit the "quote" button on their post.
Thanks for the help :D
Miles the Wolf

Post by Miles the Wolf »

Well first, you click quote on someone's post, then what they posted will appear in the box where you can type your own message. You can also open another link with the forums page and copy someone else's quote into yours. you can do this as many times as you want.
I'm thinking of starting a Fan Fiction, should I do it? Send me a PM with some ideas and names of characters!
Blood is red, the sky is blue, this knife is sharp, and your dead too!
FantasticMrFox

Post by FantasticMrFox »

Miles the Wolf wrote:
Well first, you click quote on someone's post, then what they posted will appear in the box where you can type your own message. You can also open another link with the forums page and copy someone else's quote into yours. you can do this as many times as you want.
Hadn't even seen this button before it was mentioned, thanks for the help :)
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

gamepopper wrote:As far as I recall, the only (or at least one of the only) animals with a defined age is Peanut. I remember reading an early description that he's five years old, which assuming this comic takes place in near real time, Peanut is probably 11 years old by now.
The comic does not take place in real time, so Peanut is still close-ish to the same age as he always was. ;)
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

One thing I have to remind myself ~ Just like Cerberus said ~ Heaven is to the pets how their minds make it. That means, while it's likely possible all pets have parents that passed on due to the nature of their lives, Pets are likely the kind of characters that have the hardest times dealing with abandonment issues as well and just want to see their parents again. Joel is a good exception thanks to his bad life beforehand. I wonder if all the pets ever got to heaven someday would be seeing their literal parents or just finally have the chance to meet the parents they never met while growing up? *gets all warm and fuzzy* X3
gamepopper

Post by gamepopper »

Obbl wrote:
gamepopper wrote:As far as I recall, the only (or at least one of the only) animals with a defined age is Peanut. I remember reading an early description that he's five years old, which assuming this comic takes place in near real time, Peanut is probably 11 years old by now.
The comic does not take place in real time, so Peanut is still close-ish to the same age as he always was. ;)
Joel/King has explicitly said that he has had that watch for years, it may not be a specific amount of time, but time does past more than a few months at least.

Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

This is both sweet and sad at the same time.
It's heaven, it can do anything.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Obbl wrote:The comic does not take place in real time, so Peanut is still close-ish to the same age as he always was. ;)
It tracks real time pretty closely, particularly with Christmas lining up.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:
rickgriffin wrote:
Argent wrote:
Should be here on a Pete strip then(!)

People here LOVE King & Fox!
To add to the above, I should point out that it's by no means just here, sir. It's with other strips as well. Take ENDTOWN, for example. Most of the characters have many fans but there is one with virtually no fans and a lot of haters. Aaron Marx. A near-cosmically powered jerk with a strange sense of humour and an annoying habit of dropping characters right in it because it'll turn out right in the long run. It seems to be a general thing that even the entertaining jerk with cosmic powers is VITAL for plot but annoys readers somewhat.

I note a lot less people hate Dragon. She has a warmth he lacks.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
SergeiTheFox

Post by SergeiTheFox »

WhoElseButQuagmire wrote: That's right, I keep forgetting that they are cousins, not brother/sister.

And...I just read the alt text, so I now realize Joel's Dad is still alive. Poor guy must wonder where his son disappeared to. Unless of course he's an Expy of Sasha's Dad.
I know this sounds a little dark, but there is a possibility that Joel's dad is in hell....
oh hey look more text

now it looks pretty

and slanted uwu

I check this profile like once a year or so, so if you need to reach me I'm on telegram @awootimestwo
Bree

Post by Bree »

Loved it .. and the line out of a filk song that I have on tape, yes cassette tape and cd.. I am misquoting "that a mans dreams should exceed his grasp , for whats a heaven for??"
Byakko110

Post by Byakko110 »

There really is now way to adequately prepare for this particular conversation is there? "So... uh, which explanation do you want to hear first Mom?"

In all honesty though this is a very sweet scene and is especially heartwarming considering King apparently did not come from a very happy household.