Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
2014/06/23 - One Person You Meet In Heaven 

Post Re: 2014/06/23 - One Person You Meet In Heaven
I'm assuming it's a mothers trait to recognize their son/daughter regardless of change in appearance because that's impressive of Joel's mother to recognize him as King!

Also this entire comic is the sweatest thing ever, all dogs get to meet their moms! :D

Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:00 am
Profile WWW

Kitch Wrote:
I supposed the real question is... How did she know it was Joel?

And this is quite heartbreaking. Based on what Rick has implied about pet lifespans in the comic, it can be implied about Fox's mother that she died relatively young. :(

As for her looking like Bailey, that may be how they are related, assuming their being cousins is more than just a made-up relation based on the relation of their "parents".

That's right, I keep forgetting that they are cousins, not brother/sister.

And...I just read the alt text, so I now realize Joel's Dad is still alive. Poor guy must wonder where his son disappeared to. Unless of course he's an Expy of Sasha's Dad.

Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:01 am

OwlCity's "Angels" just started playing.

Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:26 am

Wow, so Joel actually meets his mother in Heaven. That is something I was hoping to see for a long time, just to see his reaction when she found out. And she's cool with it. X3

Also was awesome getting to see Fox's mother too. *Teary eyes* Man, she looks so much like Bailey... now I wish Grape was there ;_;

Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:31 am
Devil Skirrl

Argent Wrote:
Also, what happened to the forum links on the strips? There haven't been any for a while, and I don't remember any announcement about it. I especially miss the "Click here if [something embarassing]" links.

I'm glad you enjoy the link text! You're correct in that there was no specific announcement about this. I had no intention of going particularly in depth about the reason for my recent decreased activity, but I suppose I can share. I've been unemployed since December and my bank account ran dry in May. Home Internet service was my largest (and basically only) luxury expense and was disconnected. Thus, I'm not able to create the discussion threads or set up links to the forum unless I get the comics early, as the library I visit keeps daylight business hours. Our forum moderators currently do not have the necessary permissions to edit the comic page, so they cannot make the same kind of links.

Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:38 am
Profile WWW

diss Wrote:
Argent Wrote:
Also, what happened to the forum links on the strips? There haven't been any for a while, and I don't remember any announcement about it. I especially miss the "Click here if [something embarassing]" links.

I'm glad you enjoy the link text! You're correct in that there was no specific announcement about this. I had no intention of going particularly in depth about the reason for my recent decreased activity, but I suppose I can share. I've been unemployed since December and my bank account ran dry in May. Home Internet service was my largest (and basically only) luxury expense and was disconnected. Thus, I'm not able to create the discussion threads or set up links to the forum unless I get the comics early, as the library I visit keeps daylight business hours. Our forum moderators currently do not have the necessary permissions to edit the comic page, so they cannot make the same kind of links.

I'm sorry to hear that. Is there any way we can kick in a few bucks to help you out?

Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:49 am

Kitch Wrote:

And this is quite heartbreaking. Based on what Rick has implied about pet lifespans in the comic, it can be implied about Fox's mother that she died relatively young. :(

As for her looking like Bailey, that may be how they are related, assuming their being cousins is more than just a made-up relation based on the relation of their "parents".

I wonder how she knew it was Joel as well.
But as others have said she may know her son no matter what his appearance, after all if you can choose your appearance there would have to be some other way of knowing who is who.

I guess King/Joel has some explaining to do, all it needs now is for him to meet his former pets.

Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:08 am

WhoElseButQuagmire Wrote:
diss Wrote:
Argent Wrote:

I'm sorry to hear that. Is there any way we can kick in a few bucks to help you out?

+1

I know it wouldn't be much but I'd certainly throw in a few bucks to help out an old friend.

Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:28 am
Wanna play a game?

Kitch Wrote:
Well, Cerberus explained that:
Cerberus Wrote:
That means you are as you will it--how you perceive, and how you are perceived
And I really expect that a mother chooses to recognize her son.

ImageImage
ImageImageImage

Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:46 am
Site Admin

colliefan Wrote:
Kitch Wrote:

*I* wonder how they both just happened to run into their mothers inside of an infinite space within moments of each other

Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:46 am
Profile WWW

rickgriffin Wrote:
*I* wonder how they both just happened to run into their mothers inside of an infinite space within moments of each other

Heaven is of the mind!

Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:56 am

Man this strip is both adorable and awkward at the same time! What would make it even more awkward though is if in the next strip or two both Fox's and King's moms meet each other and start swapping embarrassing stories of their kids childhoods.

rickgriffin Wrote:
colliefan Wrote:
Kitch Wrote:

Automated alerts when someone they knew comes through the Pearly Gates. Much like when we here in RL get alerts when something new is posted to like a twitter feed, facebook, things like that.

Mod Edit: If yours is the last post and you have more to say, use the edit button

Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:04 am

rickgriffin Wrote:
There are no coincidences.

Jamonius Wrote:
Automated alerts when someone they knew comes through the Pearly Gates. Much like when we here in RL get alerts when something new is posted to like a twitter feed, facebook, things like that.
Or that.

Also, I guess Rick abandoned his announced holiday from the forums.

Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @

Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:25 am
Profile WWW

rickgriffin Wrote:

I'm guessing heaven just grants people whatever is on their mind whenever it's possible. Therefore when Fox remembers growing up in a barn, his mother appears, when Joel remarks on how sweet and embarrassing seeing Fox meet his mother, his mother appears.

Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:46 am
Profile WWW

rickgriffin Wrote:
Do you really think encouraging our nitpicking is a good idea!? :shock: :P

And yeah, kind of sad that both their moms are already in Heaven, though at least they know they have a reunion to look forward to one day. :)
(hmm, never noticed the 'normal' smiley is showing a little teeth and has 'surprised' eyebrows until today)

Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:53 am
Site Admin

Argent Wrote:

No, I just let my curiosity get the best of me, so I decided to remind myself why I wanted to take a holiday

Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:10 am
Profile WWW

rickgriffin Wrote:
Argent Wrote:

No, I just let my curiosity get the best of me, so I decided to remind myself why I wanted to take a holiday

Should be here on a Pete strip then(!)

People here LOVE King & Fox!

Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)

Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:28 am

^ they are quite possibly 2 of my favorite characters from this series

Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:40 am

Kitch Wrote:

That or she died of old age and chose to appear younger.

Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:57 am

rickgriffin Wrote:

Still nice to see ya around again regardless Rick.

Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:07 am
Profile WWW

Kitch Wrote:

Perhaps good Moms just know?

Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie

Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:10 am

Shadowstar23 Wrote:
Kitch Wrote:
That or she died of old age and chose to appear younger.
When I read this I took it to mean more that Fox doesn't seem old enough for his mom to have died yet, since pets live to about 40-ish. Neither does Joel.

We don't really know how old Fox is, but since he was a pup in Housepets Babies! he can't be that old. We don't know how old most of the pets are, but we know the ones we saw in the flashback are still pretty young. Ralph is older but probably not by a whole lot. Rufus is up there, and Sabrina is older than dirt. :P
Welsh Halfwit Wrote:
Kitch Wrote:

Perhaps good Moms just know?
Moms always know.

Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:17 am

Location: Trapped in the center of the Galaxy. Need a starship to get out!
ConvoyWolf Wrote:
Fox's mom looks like Bailey! Got me for a second! Thats so cute though.

...And she's become a kitsune as well...or our Rick is re-using artwork for some reason... That twin tail look seems like something that's been commented on before.

And the bet?

Mom: We should never have let them run away. Now Social Services has taken away our son! But at least he loves his pets. I'd bet he grows up to be a great man someday!

Dad: That boy is so much of a wimp. He ran away when he should've stood up. He's already a dog of a boy and I bet he'll become even more of one, you'll see.

...Don't know where all of that came from... I just think the bet was less specific about physical body type or who he'd marry, and more about the character traits he'd develop. Not getting religious, but in Jewish culture, being called a dog is about the worst insult there is.

GameCobra Wrote:
...Also was awesome getting to see Fox's mother too. *Teary eyes* Man, she looks so much like Bailey... now I wish Grape was there ;_;

Why Grape? Seeing Maximus Katt Sr's troll grin would be awesome! (I don't know if Max (or his Dad) have cool names like that, but I like the sound of it.
By the way, seeing Fox's mom there and seeing GameCobra's comment makes me wonder just how many ancestors of the cast there are up there. Two theories: one, the HP world is thousands of years old (creation) and there are tens of thousands of ancestors there. Two, the HP world is billions of years old (evolution) and there are billions of ancestors there... Family reunions must be awesome!

rickgriffin Wrote:
colliefan Wrote:
Kitch Wrote:

Scent! She could smell him coming from miles away! 8-)

My new fan project – Check it out! – viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4402

Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:22 am
Profile WWW

Xane Wrote:
We don't really know how old Fox is, but since he was a pup in Housepets Babies! he can't be that old. We don't know how old most of the pets are, but we know the ones we saw in the flashback are still pretty young. Ralph is older but probably not by a whole lot. Rufus is up there, and Sabrina is older than dirt. :P

As far as I recall, the only (or at least one of the only) animals with a defined age is Peanut. I remember reading an early description that he's five years old, which assuming this comic takes place in near real time, Peanut is probably 11 years old by now.

The only hints we have for Sabrina's age is that she left the Faraga nation when she was six months old, and she was around when cell phones weren't common place, so she could be in her 30s at youngest. o.o

Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:25 am
Profile WWW

WAIT A MINUTE! HOLD THE PHONE! OBJECTION! CONTRADICTION!

Wait!

Joel's MOTHER is in heaven? The same mother who allegedly abused her pets?

There is something majorly fishy here. Either she's done something to redeem herself or perhaps... Joel was lying about his childhood?

Edit: Or that his PETS were lying, which seems the most likely solution. either way, I'm curious about this.

Last edited by Ryusuta on Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:41 am

I just had to register to state that that was one of the funniest comics I've ever seen. Kudos.

Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:48 am

Quote:
Wait!

There is something majorly fishy here. Either she's done something to redeem herself or perhaps... Joel was lying about his childhood?

Just remember how some children think they have it alot worse than they actually do. Maybe Joel convinced himself that he had it really bad when he didn't?

Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:53 am

FantasticMrFox Wrote:
Quote:
Wait!

Just remember how some children think they have it alot worse than they actually do. Maybe Joel convinced himself that he had it really bad when he didn't?

That occured to me, as well. Especially if his pets were truly so cruel to him. Maybe they were bad from the start and manipulated him into thinking they were abused. That makes sense. I wonder if this will be elaborated upon.

Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:54 am

Quick question; How do you do all this fancy formatting with peoples names by the quotes and quotes inside other quotes? I'm brand new to all this forum stuff and could use some tips :P

Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:05 am

Hold on a second, how did Joel's mom even recognize him? Was it because of his voice? Anyways, I really want to see what this bet is all about.

Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:07 am

FantasticMrFox Wrote:
Quick question; How do you do all this fancy formatting with peoples names by the quotes and quotes inside other quotes? I'm brand new to all this forum stuff and could use some tips :P

[ quote="Username"][ /quote]

Without the spaces.

Alternately, hit the "quote" button on their post.

Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:08 am

Ryusuta Wrote:
FantasticMrFox Wrote:

[ quote="Username"][ /quote]

Without the spaces.

Alternately, hit the "quote" button on their post.

Thanks for the help :D

Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:12 am

FantasticMrFox Wrote:

Well first, you click quote on someone's post, then what they posted will appear in the box where you can type your own message. You can also open another link with the forums page and copy someone else's quote into yours. you can do this as many times as you want.

Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:13 am

Miles the Wolf Wrote:
FantasticMrFox Wrote:

Well first, you click quote on someone's post, then what they posted will appear in the box where you can type your own message. You can also open another link with the forums page and copy someone else's quote into yours. you can do this as many times as you want.

Hadn't even seen this button before it was mentioned, thanks for the help :)

Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:21 am
Smiley McSmiles

gamepopper Wrote:
As far as I recall, the only (or at least one of the only) animals with a defined age is Peanut. I remember reading an early description that he's five years old, which assuming this comic takes place in near real time, Peanut is probably 11 years old by now.
The comic does not take place in real time, so Peanut is still close-ish to the same age as he always was. ;)

Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:25 am

One thing I have to remind myself ~ Just like Cerberus said ~ Heaven is to the pets how their minds make it. That means, while it's likely possible all pets have parents that passed on due to the nature of their lives, Pets are likely the kind of characters that have the hardest times dealing with abandonment issues as well and just want to see their parents again. Joel is a good exception thanks to his bad life beforehand. I wonder if all the pets ever got to heaven someday would be seeing their literal parents or just finally have the chance to meet the parents they never met while growing up? *gets all warm and fuzzy* X3

Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:44 am

Obbl Wrote:
gamepopper Wrote:
The comic does not take place in real time, so Peanut is still close-ish to the same age as he always was. ;)

Joel/King has explicitly said that he has had that watch for years, it may not be a specific amount of time, but time does past more than a few months at least.

Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:55 am
Profile WWW

This is both sweet and sad at the same time.
rickgriffin Wrote:

It's heaven, it can do anything.

Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:17 pm

Obbl Wrote:
It tracks real time pretty closely, particularly with Christmas lining up.

Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @

Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:59 pm
Profile WWW

Welsh Halfwit Wrote:
rickgriffin Wrote:
Argent Wrote:

Should be here on a Pete strip then(!)

People here LOVE King & Fox!

To add to the above, I should point out that it's by no means just here, sir. It's with other strips as well. Take ENDTOWN, for example. Most of the characters have many fans but there is one with virtually no fans and a lot of haters. Aaron Marx. A near-cosmically powered jerk with a strange sense of humour and an annoying habit of dropping characters right in it because it'll turn out right in the long run. It seems to be a general thing that even the entertaining jerk with cosmic powers is VITAL for plot but annoys readers somewhat.

I note a lot less people hate Dragon. She has a warmth he lacks.

Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie

Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next