Re: 2014/07/28 - In the Pudding

Post by Gamewolf67 »

Transformation MASTERED!

So, can be do his at will now?
Feel my icy wrath!
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Why not being a Housepets! dog? Why, they only have four fingers on each hand! You can't mash all the buttons in Mega-Zelda-Sonic 9 to complete the Mario-Kong Combo during the 3rd level with merely eight fingers!

And why does Argent not want to be called Shirley? It's a nice name for him!
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
colliefan

Post by colliefan »

So while he's holding onto the watch/wearing it he's King, but when he's not holding the watch the spell is broken and he's Joel again?
Last edited by colliefan on Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colliefan, the name says it all.
Formerly SP.
WhoElseButQuagmire

Post by WhoElseButQuagmire »

Goforit wrote:[ In the Pudding ]

Title Text: you think you know a guy

Does being able to turn into a corgi at will count as a superpower...?
Wonder Joel powers ACTIVATE! Form of....a cute corgi!
Acritic2

Post by Acritic2 »

Well there goes my theory from the end of the second part of this arc.
BTW Keene's expression of surprise in that last panel is priceless. :lol:
dryideabat

Post by dryideabat »

This will be interesting. I wonder how the Milton's and all of their resources will be able to help in this cosmic case. Also, I never really liked/understood the saying "the proof is in the pudding."
valerio

Post by valerio »

Gren wrote:Cause being a human is awesome? :P
What do you think is so special about dogs in Housepets? As far as I can tell they're not much different than kids and teenagers in our world, you know.
If you think all what humans can do is work and study then you really are a close-minded person. Besides, isn't these all what Itsuki usually does? Then you must think he's a bad character too. :?
From what I have seen through these years HP! has a really good cast of human characters. Celia and Thomas starred the only human focused arc in the series and they did it great. Bill and Jeff are the coolest guys in the whole cast. Earl and Jill Sandwich are between the funniest. And let's not start with the silliness of Mr. London. X3
And do not forget that King was originally a human. I don't think he would want to abandon his other self so easily unless he must have to.
You're right on the fact that in the HP world, being human implies a ton of advantages over animal kingdom.
After that, being a pet may be or not awesome according to what one wants to do with own's life. If you really don't care about certain responsiblities, getting a job, pay taxes, etc., then a pet life IS awesome. It comes with the legal downside but, after all, unless you're the top shark, even in human world there is mistreatment, abuse, slavery more or less legal, etc.
And you better reconsider your ideas about King: He has clearly stated that turning back to human forever would be a PUNISHMENT he'd take if it's serve to help Bailey.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

valerio wrote:And you better reconsider your ideas about King: He has clearly stated that turning back to human forever would be a PUNISHMENT he'd take if it's serve to help Bailey.
Hey, now! I know he said he would go on to stay human in a bit of a negative fashion, but to say he considers it a punishment seems too much! And why did you write it in all capitals, anyway?
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

Argent

Post by Argent »

Silly Zealot wrote:And why does Argent not want to be called Shirley? It's a nice name for him!
Don't start that again, Nancy.
dryideabat wrote:This will be interesting. I wonder how the Milton's and all of their resources will be able to help in this cosmic case. Also, I never really liked/understood the saying "the proof is in the pudding."
It's actually "The Proof of the Pudding is in the Eating".
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
TendoTwo

Post by TendoTwo »

dryideabat wrote:It's actually "The Proof of the Pudding is in the Eating".
Soooo...... they're saying that you won't know how alcoholic the pudding might be until you've had some?
Argent

Post by Argent »

More than you ever wanted to know about proving puddings. http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-pro1.htm

The origin of the term "proof" for alcohol came up recently in the 17th Century Fox OT forum. It's also quite interesting if you're of the right turn of mind: https://sites.google.com/site/gunpowder ... wder-proof and http://io9.com/5871143/when-sailors-use ... of-alcohol
Turkledurk

Post by Turkledurk »

"oh"
Cincinnati Tradition Contrabass 2014
"Hey guys look at the" *(insert what everyone is already looking at here)*!!!
valerio

Post by valerio »

Silly Zealot wrote:
valerio wrote:And you better reconsider your ideas about King: He has clearly stated that turning back to human forever would be a PUNISHMENT he'd take if it's serve to help Bailey.
Hey, now! I know he said he would go on to stay human in a bit of a negative fashion, but to say he considers it a punishment seems too much! And why did you write it in all capitals, anyway?
Welp hard to imagine that he'd enjoy go back to being human if it meant losing everything he's fighting for and that made his life worth living after so much misery. Reverting to his older self, in this context, does sound like punishment or sacrifice.
And I only used capital to underline the fact, not to shout
jrh150482

Post by jrh150482 »

gamepopper wrote:
Hedronal wrote:Heaven forbid that someone, such as a "fuzzy snake" takes it as leverage, or Bino trys to take it again.
If only there was a shock collar remote, then King would have the ultimate revenge! >:3
You win an Internet.

BTW, if anyone out there doesn't understand what gamepopper's talking about, this ought to clear it up for you.
*in Christopher Walken style*

I have a fever... and the only prescription... is more Kingley!
Gren

Post by Gren »

Deske wrote:I dunno, I'd rather mess about and not really have to worry too much about the world. Sure they may be nearly the equivalent of children or teenagers there's still a fairly large difference. I mean, while I have to worry about what kind of life I have when I'm out of school, I'm fairly sure Fox doesn't really have to worry about what he's gonna do. I stress out about stuff all the time in high school because apparently it's important, but my real life dog does nothing but greet me everyday and want to play games or sit in the sun. I'd rather be a dog and not have to worry than stress out as much as I do right now.
Just because you gets stressed thinking about the future doesn't mean every person in the world does the same. Of course everyone worries about their future and wants it to be as best as possible, but at the same time you have to live the right here right now and have as much fun as you can. That's how I roll. Instead of living scared or daydreaming about the uncertain future I prefer to enjoy the moment, doing what I can at present and not letting pass opportunities. If you live your life only thinking about what could it be then I guarantee you that your life will be full of regrets.
And of course your RL dog doesn't worry about anything, he's not a rational being, you silly. :P
Deske wrote:Also its pretty understandable for the other humans, they're owners, they're gonna play some part. But Joel doesn't really own King as an owner. I just don't see him having much to do besides normal things.
Not everyone owns pets. Celia, Thomas and Mr. London don't own pets as far as I know, and they're as good as any other character.
Also, letting aside the Miltons and the whole cosmic thing, all what pets do ARE normal things. Hanging out with friends, having relationships, drawing comics, read books, writing fanfictions, play games, assist at meetings... I can make a huge list and I can't find a single thing that humans don't do as well. Obviously cause all of those things are normal humans' stuff.
valerio wrote:You're right on the fact that in the HP world, being human implies a ton of advantages over animal kingdom.
After that, being a pet may be or not awesome according to what one wants to do with own's life. If you really don't care about certain responsiblities, getting a job, pay taxes, etc., then a pet life IS awesome. It comes with the legal downside but, after all, unless you're the top shark, even in human world there is mistreatment, abuse, slavery more or less legal, etc.
It's not about advantages nor legal things what I'm talking about. It's about opportunities. Humans can do pretty much what they want as long as it's not against the laws. Pets, on the other hand, only are able to do what their owners allow them to do. Not everyone is as pampered as Fox or Sabrina. Some of them have a very restricted liberty and others are mistreated and abused. Yes, it is true that there are humans who suffer a similar treatment but I can assure you that this is far more common in animals. And animals too have to worry about human laws, cause if they do something which is considered a crime then it's highly probable that they'll have to pay for that with their lives (as it's common to see on TV when dogs attack people or a dangerous wild animal enters in a populated area).
Pets too have responsibilities, which is to follow the orders of their owners. Some of them have more complex and crucial responsibilities, such like the K-9 and probably the dogs at the fire station, guide dogs, etc. It's a full time job without any kind of pay other than the love of the people they protect.

And just to be clear, I never said a pet life (in HP!) was awful. It's good as long as you live as pampered and comfortable as most of the pets in BG. But then again, not every place in the world is as pet friendly as Babylon Garden.
I'm sure he said that assuming that remain as human would mean to be away from Bailey. THAT would be the real punishment. But as Bahamut said, Bailey also thinks the same, and I don't think she hates to be a dog. It's not about their physical form what they worry about. They don't even mind about that as long as they can be together.
And in case you missed it, at the beginning of that arc King stated that he doesn't hates to be human at all.

PS: Please do not take my comment as if I'm trying to impose you (both of you) what I think. I'm merely giving my thoughts on the matter, defending my point of view, you know. If you think less of humans then I won't stop you.
ImageImage
InDaZone1219

Post by InDaZone1219 »

colliefan wrote:So while he's holding onto the watch/wearing it he's King, but when he's not holding the watch the spell is broken and he's Joel again?
He took the watch from around his neck and changed back to Joel so...
Yes!
A steady, but luminous glow of power in the dark
Argent

Post by Argent »

Gren wrote:Also, letting aside the Miltons and the whole cosmic thing, all what pets do ARE normal things. Hanging out with friends, having relationships, drawing comics, read books, writing fanfictions, play games, assist at meetings... I can make a huge list and I can't find a single thing that humans don't do as well. Obviously cause all of those things are normal humans' stuff.
Eating live birds and mice, getting kidnapped from a dog park, riding under a car, panicking because they don't have their collars on, spending their lives in a pet shelter, playing with a rubber bone, licking the grease off an old frying pan, forgetting to cook the meat at the barbecue, playing "last predator standing", ...

The ways that they're not like humans is one of the coolest things about this strip.
Gren wrote:It's not about advantages nor legal things what I'm talking about. It's about opportunities. Humans can do pretty much what they want as long as it's not against the laws. Pets, on the other hand, only are able to do what their owners allow them to do. Not everyone is as pampered as Fox or Sabrina.
As Fox says when King asks him about it, this isn't about "other dogs".

King's owned by billionaire ferrets. How can you get a better deal than that?
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Argent wrote:
Silly Zealot wrote:And why does Argent not want to be called Shirley? It's a nice name for him!
Don't start that again, Nancy.
Fine, we'll cal you Nancy if you prefer it. After all, you deserve to be granted such a request.
valerio wrote:Welp hard to imagine that he'd enjoy go back to being human if it meant losing everything he's fighting for and that made his life worth living after so much misery. Reverting to his older self, in this context, does sound like punishment or sacrifice.
And I only used capital to underline the fact, not to shout
Alright, but why do you keep reminding us of how he prefers to stay a dog and be with Bailey so much?

GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Now this is an interesting twist. I figured Keene would be supporting Bailey somehow, but by helping King or backstabbing King?

I also bet King is going to the temple with Keene with plans to replace Bailey's Avatar with someone else. It seems very likely it will be King, but something tells me he has his own trick up his sleeve...
Argent wrote:live birds and mice, getting kidnapped from a dog park, riding under a car, panicking because they don't have their collars on, spending their lives in a pet shelter, playing with a rubber bone, licking the grease off an old frying pan, forgetting to cook the meat at the barbecue, playing "last predator standing", ...

The ways that they're not like humans is one of the coolest things about this strip.
One of my key enjoyments as well. That, and seeing them trying to work out a human relationship with these traits in mind. =P
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

GameCobra wrote:Now this is an interesting twist. I figured Keene would be supporting Bailey somehow, but by helping King or backstabbing King?

I also bet King is going to the temple with Keene with plans to replace Bailey's Avatar with someone else. It seems very likely it will be King, but something tells me he has his own trick up his sleeve...
Are you sure he won't betray Pete, his 'ally' who's done absolutely nothing for him?
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
FoxRocks

Post by FoxRocks »

GameCobra wrote:Now this is an interesting twist. I figured Keene would be supporting Bailey somehow, but by helping King or backstabbing King?

Argent wrote:live birds and mice, getting kidnapped from a dog park, riding under a car, panicking because they don't have their collars on, spending their lives in a pet shelter, playing with a rubber bone, licking the grease off an old frying pan, forgetting to cook the meat at the barbecue, playing "last predator standing", ...

One of my key enjoyments as well. That, and seeing them trying to work out a human relationship with these traits in mind. =P
Mabye King will somehow make Joel Pete's avatar, then switch back to King again, but then Pete will have NO avater cuz King and Joel are the same soul in 2 "people"! :twisted:
Buy a goat today!
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

GameCobra wrote:

Hey! We humans can do all those things too!
Iiiiiit would be immensely creepy, dangerous, and/or insane to do most of them, but we can do them.
Welsh Halfwit wrote:Are you sure he won't betray Pete, his 'ally' who's done absolutely nothing for him?
Now, that is a preposterous assumption!

SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

Call me silly, but when King turned back into Joel using his watch, for some reason I thought of Power Rangers. *sings quietly* Go, Go, Housepet Rangers!
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Deske

Post by Deske »

Good lord, Argent put it in the best way.
InDaZone1219

Post by InDaZone1219 »

SeanWolf wrote:Call me silly, but when King turned back into Joel using his watch, for some reason I thought of Power Rangers. *sings quietly* Go, Go, Housepet Rangers!
Now that you mention it, he does look like he could be a red ranger.
A steady, but luminous glow of power in the dark
WhoElseButQuagmire

dryideabat wrote:This will be interesting. I wonder how the Milton's and all of their resources will be able to help in this cosmic case.
Don't forget, Keene still has one (1) piece of mana. Unless he did something dumb like eat it.
Gren

Post by Gren »

Argent wrote:Eating live birds and mice, getting kidnapped from a dog park, riding under a car, panicking because they don't have their collars on, spending their lives in a pet shelter, playing with a rubber bone, licking the grease off an old frying pan, forgetting to cook the meat at the barbecue, playing "last predator standing", ...
Most of that are metaphors of humans things. The rest is just rule of fun (cause we know a cat in RL will never eat a live bird or mouse ;)).

Eating live animals/raw meat -> you do not know much about other human civilizations, don't you? I can tell you that there are people in Africa and Asia who often eats live insects/little fishes/mollusks and do not cook the meat. Even USA is known of their habit of not fully cooking their meat.
Kidnap -> People gets kidnapped too and I tell you, it's not fun. Just turn on your TV and put the news channel.
riding under a car -> Is that even happened in housepets? I can't remember having seen that here, but I do recall seeing this in other cartoons such like the Simpsons in one of Sideshow Bob's attempts to kill Bart. Or you meant riding in the back seat? Isn't this what kids usually do?
Panic of being naked -> People do that a lot.
Licking the grease off an old frying pan -> Haven't I saw this on the Simpsons? Seems like one of the things that Homer would do.
Playing last predator standing -> Kids do have a lot of weird and original games, you just have to pay attention. I'm sure this is just a metaphor of this and if you never played a game like this then you hadn't a childhood.
Argent wrote:The ways that they're not like humans is one of the coolest things about this strip.
Well, I think that the ways they are like us is what makes this comic so funny and the reason of why we can relate with them.
Argent wrote:As Fox says when King asks him about it, this isn't about "other dogs".

King's owned by billionaire ferrets. How can you get a better deal than that?
I was talking in General. That was a completely separate discussion of King's situation.
But now that you point King, you must know that the whole thing with King and the wolves is a time bomb. They're actually not owned by anyone and technically their situation is not fully legal. Why do I have the feeling that Celia and Thomas will rely on this to take away the money from the ferrets? And that's when Joel appears and with his human condition he'll be able to ensure the whole thing is legal. Of course he'll be a sort of figurehead.
ImageImage
ConvoyWolf

Post by ConvoyWolf »

Wow! Controlable shape shifting.

And something tells me Keene may know more than what hes letting on.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Gren wrote:But now that you point King, you must know that the whole thing with King and the wolves is a time bomb. They're actually not owned by anyone and technically their situation is not fully legal.
That's not what I got.

He's saying that he isn't their owner not that they have no owner. Logically, they're owned by the Milton Estate, like the ferrets.
Gren

Post by Gren »

Argent wrote:He's saying that he isn't their owner not that they have no owner. Logically, they're owned by the Milton Estate, like the ferrets.
And who is running the Milton Estate? Ferrets. Hence they're not owned by anyone.
I think you needs to read that first panel again. Even though I'm not a native speaker I think I got it straight:
"I am Keene Milton your new owner, though [ahem] don't go around saying that because it's technically not true for three separate legal reasons."

I think that can't be more clear. In papers he IS his owner because he is the head of the Milton Estate but at the same time is not true cause a pet can't own other pets. Keene himself states that their situation is not fully legal.
ImageImage
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Now I'm asking, is really worth and important tell all the facts to Keene? Why he should know them? :| If also Bailey is a guest of the Milton ferrets, then Keene should know what happened to her... Keene met Pete in the temple, but apparently now he's playing like if he doesn't know anything about, but he well knows... :roll:
That's better than words, Keene, now you must believe on it from what you've seen with your eyes. :) That's really curious, though, so now Joel can be King only when he has the watch in his hands or in contact with him? Never get separated from it! ;) And to Bino, it's better for you to stay away, you're advised. :P Hope for a solution to have King definitely back. :)
Also, it's the first time that Keene meets Joel.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Cesco wrote: That's really curious, though, so now Joel can be King only when he has the watch in his hands or in contact with him? Never get separated from it! ;)
Unless he has to WISH on the watch to change.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Jamonius

Post by Jamonius »

Heh, pretty convincing argument there King!
valerio

Post by valerio »

Gren wrote:It's not about advantages nor legal things what I'm talking about. It's about opportunities. Humans can do pretty much what they want as long as it's not against the laws. Pets, on the other hand, only are able to do what their owners allow them to do. Not everyone is as pampered as Fox or Sabrina. Some of them have a very restricted liberty and others are mistreated and abused. Yes, it is true that there are humans who suffer a similar treatment but I can assure you that this is far more common in animals. And animals too have to worry about human laws, cause if they do something which is considered a crime then it's highly probable that they'll have to pay for that with their lives (as it's common to see on TV when dogs attack people or a dangerous wild animal enters in a populated area).
Pets too have responsibilities, which is to follow the orders of their owners. Some of them have more complex and crucial responsibilities, such like the K-9 and probably the dogs at the fire station, guide dogs, etc. It's a full time job without any kind of pay other than the love of the people they protect.
And just to be clear, I never said a pet life (in HP!) was awful. It's good as long as you live as pampered and comfortable as most of the pets in BG. But then again, not every place in the world is as pet friendly as Babylon Garden.
Hmm, tricky here. If you take Feraga, you can see that animals CAN live with a high degree of autonomy and be an autonomous political entity at that.
It can be assumed that in 'western' world, there is a too-long affirmed tradition of animals treated as 'things' to have equality out of the blue. But, just as slaves were eventually given full rights, it will come that day for animals as well...but what such freedom will bring is much too wide to examine to be covered here -heck, I believe it'd need a full essay!
As for the animals' current 'jobs', you can say they're paid in nature. They get free physicals and medicals, they are insured without having to pay, they surely get food at the mess hall... And since pets are allowed (though it's at discretion of their owners) an allowance they can spend, it's not impossible that security forces dogs are given some money as well. The fact that we haven't seen it doesn't meen they don't get it, right?
Gren wrote:I'm sure he said that assuming that remain as human would mean to be away from Bailey. THAT would be the real punishment. But as Bahamut said, Bailey also thinks the same, and I don't think she hates to be a dog. It's not about their physical form what they worry about. They don't even mind about that as long as they can be together.
And in case you missed it, at the beginning of that arc King stated that he doesn't hates to be human at all.
true that! But by now it's clear that being human would be his second choice and only under exceptional circumstances.
Gren wrote:PS: Please do not take my comment as if I'm trying to impose you (both of you) what I think. I'm merely giving my thoughts on the matter, defending my point of view, you know. If you think less of humans then I won't stop you.
No prob. And I don't need to think 'less' of humans, they do such a wonderful job as a species without any encouragement.
Silly Zealot wrote:Alright, but why do you keep reminding us of how he prefers to stay a dog and be with Bailey so much?
For the same reason you keep reminding us that he'd love to stay a human (and perhaps with Bailey as human)? :lol: :lol:
Deske

Post by Deske »

Ehh, I dunno, I think dog Bailey and King would look more adorable than human Bailey and Joel.
WhoElseButQuagmire

Gren wrote:
Argent wrote:He's saying that he isn't their owner not that they have no owner. Logically, they're owned by the Milton Estate, like the ferrets.
And who is running the Milton Estate? Ferrets. Hence they're not owned by anyone.
I think you needs to read that first panel again. Even though I'm not a native speaker I think I got it straight:
"I am Keene Milton your new owner, though [ahem] don't go around saying that because it's technically not true for three separate legal reasons."

I think that can't be more clear. In papers he IS his owner because he is the head of the Milton Estate but at the same time is not true cause a pet can't own other pets. Keene himself states that their situation is not fully legal.
I thought Mr Stewart their court appointed Stewart ran the estate.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Gren wrote:
And who is running the Milton Estate?
Technically, the human employees and officers of the corporation. Like Steward. The mechanism that puts the ferrets in charge is probably a ream of legal knots.

Corporate personhood, dude.

It's just like the status of the Copies in Permutation City, or the corporate structures enabling the robots in Saturn's Children to "own" themselves, or the various collections of front corporations that companies use in real life to hide assets.

He is technically not the owner of the estate, but the actual owner of the estate is a corporate structure that is constrained to operate as if he was.
herobrineharry

Post by herobrineharry »

To everyone on the previous page: STOP CALLING IT A RING!
We went through this with the "Fox is a police dog" thing!
Forward, the Light Brigade!'
Was there a man dismay'd?
Not tho'(though) the soldiers knew
  Some one had blunder'd:
Theirs not to make reply,
Theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do and die:
Into the valley of Death
  Rode the six hundred.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

herobrineharry wrote:To everyone on the previous page: STOP CALLING IT A RING!
What would you prefer people call it? A gold band worn around the finger? :?
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

valerio wrote:
Silly Zealot wrote:Alright, but why do you keep reminding us of how he prefers to stay a dog and be with Bailey so much?
For the same reason you keep reminding us that he'd love to stay a human (and perhaps with Bailey as human)? :lol: :lol:
No, no, no, you got it all wrong!

I keep saying that *I* would like that Joel stayed human, mostly because I think transfiguration magic is Creepy with a capital "C"!
Argent wrote:He is technically not the owner of the estate, but the actual owner of the estate is a corporate structure that is constrained to operate as if he was.
Nancy is right, Gren; While not legally, the ferrets, especially Keene, are the de facto owners of the Milton properties.