2014/08/18 - Voices in the Dark

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Goforit
Weather Wizard

2014/08/18 - Voices in the Dark

Post by Goforit »

[ Voices in the Dark ]

Title Text: "Really? Are you sure you want me to say that out loud?" "...okay, keep texting"

A whining dragon demigod sounds like quite the annoying companion.
Ask me about the weather.

Avatar by the amazing cartoonist Hukley!
Ryusuta

Re: 2014/08/18 - Voices in the Dark

Post by Ryusuta »

Yeah... I gotta agree with Bailey in panel 3.

Not because it's mind control, but because it's DRAGON'S mind control. XD
Xane wrote:Brats. Spoiled whiny brats. Space Whale needs to smack 'em not to punish them for King but just to get them to grow up.

Interesting that while Pete used more trickery and bullying to get his avatar, he doesn't feel the need to try to mind control her while Dragon's far more willing followers gave up their free will even though they shouldn't need to since they're "more experienced."

I thought they were Cosmic Teenagers but they're sounding more and more like Cosmic Terrible Two Year Olds.
They'll get theirs. I completely trust in Rick on that. Whatever the eventual conclusion to this, I feel it's going to be 100% satisfying.
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

So they can forfeit which in terms gives someone else their powers...could this mean the Grape could become Pete's avatar? Also I'm now curious as to what Kari is texting.
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Perpetualflight

Post by Perpetualflight »

Wow, this is making... a LOT of sense. Anybody else feel like this one really explained what's going on, really well?
D3ath_0ps

Post by D3ath_0ps »

Perpetualflight wrote:Wow, this is making... a LOT of sense. Anybody else feel like this one really explained what's going on, really well?
I do. It does explain really well...
Acritic2

Post by Acritic2 »

Xane wrote:Brats. Spoiled whiny brats. Space Whale needs to smack 'em not to punish them for King but just to get them to grow up.

Interesting that while Pete used more trickery and bullying to get his avatar, he doesn't feel the need to try to mind control her while Dragon's far more willing followers gave up their free will even though they shouldn't need to since they're "more experienced."

I thought they were Cosmic Teenagers but they're sounding more and more like Cosmic Terrible Two Year Olds.
The more I think about it, Rick, let both these two cosmic kids lose. Both of them spending time in mortal bodies, living lives with more limitations and challenges would teach them responsibility and how to actually be mature.
D3ath_0ps

Post by D3ath_0ps »

Acritic2 wrote:

The more I think about it, Rick, let both these two cosmic kids lose. Both of them spending time in mortal bodies, living lives with more limitations and challenges would teach them responsibility and how to actually be mature.
That would be just perfect. Those two have been noting but trouble and immature for the past 5 years now. I hope their punishment will come to them soon. :twisted:
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

“The truth of the matter
is Gods have quite the patter
and their pleas can drag on
and are hard no to act upon.”
Tarot's well-said revelation
details the import of their station;
the nerds need co-operation
or they'll have violence cessation.
They're all on the same page next -
although Kari prefers talking by text -
It's time to call their guys for a chat;
telling them 'No'. Technically that's that.

"How can you have a war when no-one will fight for either of you??" Delenn - Babylon 5
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
ConvoyWolf

Post by ConvoyWolf »

So they can forfiet, but even if they do the Nerds can still nad and badger them and stuff. It seems like a case of danged of you do danged oif you dont. Also honestly i dunno whos worse. Pete with his nudging and teasing or Dragon with her whining.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Well we know that Tarot is wrong, they can force them to do stuff as per Dog Days of Summer.
Acritic2

Post by Acritic2 »

Bailey wrote: Are you saying we keep the power, but stop using it?
Sounds a bit like that potential inside ourselves in the sense that we have it. And how some of us don't use it.
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

Ok ok I get ... So what´s next ? Keep fighting ?
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
Acritic2

Post by Acritic2 »

I'm kinda of still in the dark on this.
Could someone summarize the important stuff in this strip for me?
RatHead

Post by RatHead »

I'm still a bit confuse about all of this, but it is becoming clearer, also i wanna see Kari's phone now...
Acritic2 wrote:The more I think about it, Rick, let both these two cosmic kids lose. Both of them spending time in mortal bodies, living lives with more limitations and challenges would teach them responsibility and how to actually be mature.
XD I don't think that they'd survive for long without breaking down (and possibly crying), but i'd love to see it too!

ConvoyWolf wrote:So they can forfiet, but even if they do the Nerds can still nad and badger them and stuff. It seems like a case of danged of you do danged oif you dont. Also honestly i dunno whos worse. Pete with his nudging and teasing or Dragon with her whining.
well think about it, the classic thing with whining and bullying is that if you ignore it (usually) the bully will stop... I'd LOVE to see Pete get frustrated with King and Bailey just completely ignoring him XD

HP! Messenger
Limp-in around eatin a dirty rubber Bizkit
D3ath_0ps

Post by D3ath_0ps »

RatHead wrote:well think about it, the classic thing with whining and bullying is that if you ignore it (usually) the bully will stop... I'd LOVE to see Pete get frustrated with King and Bailey just completely ignoring him XD
This would be awesome. This needs to happen! :3
RatHead

Post by RatHead »

D3ath_0ps wrote:
RatHead wrote:well think about it, the classic thing with whining and bullying is that if you ignore it (usually) the bully will stop... I'd LOVE to see Pete get frustrated with King and Bailey just completely ignoring him XD
This would be awesome. This needs to happen! :3
and Pete ragequiting the U&U game XD I wonder what a cosmic ragequit would look like :D

HP! Messenger
ConvoyWolf

Post by ConvoyWolf »

RatHead wrote: well think about it, the classic thing with whining and bullying is that if you ignore it (usually) the bully will stop... I'd LOVE to see Pete get frustrated with King and Bailey just completely ignoring him XD
As someone who was bullied as a kid, it never stopped. But id like to see Pete get so frustrated me ragequits. He kinda aint that great at it anyways.
Acritic2

Post by Acritic2 »

RatHead wrote:
Acritic2 wrote:The more I think about it, Rick, let both these two cosmic kids lose. Both of them spending time in mortal bodies, living lives with more limitations and challenges would teach them responsibility and how to actually be mature.
XD I don't think that they'd survive for long without breaking down (and possibly crying), but i'd love to see it too!
All the more reason to. What better way to understand this stuff than a hands-on, Hit-the-ground-running, Face-it-yourself, experience? How bad could it change them? :twisted:
Ryusuta

Post by Ryusuta »

ConvoyWolf wrote:
RatHead wrote: well think about it, the classic thing with whining and bullying is that if you ignore it (usually) the bully will stop... I'd LOVE to see Pete get frustrated with King and Bailey just completely ignoring him XD
As someone who was bullied as a kid, it never stopped. But id like to see Pete get so frustrated me ragequits. He kinda aint that great at it anyways.
In addition, Pete never seemed even remotely discouraged over half a decade when his pestering didn't work on King. I don't think that them being left alone is really on the table, sadly...
ConvoyWolf

Post by ConvoyWolf »

Ryusuta wrote:
ConvoyWolf wrote:
In addition, Pete never seemed even remotely discouraged over half a decade when his pestering didn't work on King. I don't think that them being left alone is really on the table, sadly...

Yeah i hate to say this but its gonna take more then a unanimous "I QUIT" to make that plan work.
valerio

Post by valerio »

IceKitsune wrote:Well we know that Tarot is wrong, they can force them to do stuff as per Dog Days of Summer.
I say thee NAY!
Pete surely has the power to force King to do things, but he CAN'T. Rules forbid, kitsune told him so much.
And before the cosmic summit, King had ALREADY figured he couldn't be forced to to things, that's why Pete had closed him in a cage, in perfect accordance to human rules of owner/dog.
And since rules didn't mention anything about getting back a former avatar candidate, and Grape STILL has the feather, and Fido, or peanut, are candidate dream sunderers, this is soooo going to be interesting.
I guess it will take some time before we see the cosmic game back in full swing, but at least I learnt my lesson about emotivity here.
Just as long as I can see those two BRATS living a mortal life.
...forever...
Ryusuta

Post by Ryusuta »

valerio wrote:
IceKitsune wrote:Well we know that Tarot is wrong, they can force them to do stuff as per Dog Days of Summer.
I say thee NAY!
Pete surely has the power to force King to do things, but he CAN'T. Rules forbid, kitsune told him so much.
And before the cosmic summit, King had ALREADY figured he couldn't be forced to to things, that's why Pete had closed him in a cage, in perfect accordance to human rules of owner/dog.
And since rules didn't mention anything about getting back a former avatar candidate, and Grape STILL has the feather, and Fido, or peanut, are candidate dream sunderers, this is soooo going to be interesting.
I guess it will take some time before we see the cosmic game back in full swing, but at least I learnt my lesson about emotivity here.
...forever...
Err... I'm pretty sure a mortal life won't last forever... by definition. ^^;
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

valerio wrote:
I say thee NAY!
...forever...
They can force them to do things if they believe its "in the mortals best interest". Considering that Pete was able to argue that turning Joel into a dog was in his best interest in Heavens court, I'm sure they could argue that stopping the nerds from having to bug the mortals would be in their best interest if it had gone on long enough.
HerosBane2854

Post by HerosBane2854 »

D3ath_0ps wrote:
Acritic2 wrote:

That would be just perfect. Those two have been noting but trouble and immature for the past 5 years now. I hope their punishment will come to them soon. :twisted:
Wouldn't it be cool if Tarot, Sabrina, Bailey, and King somehow confronted Dragon and Pete? That'd be epic XD
Xane wrote: Interesting that while Pete used more trickery and bullying to get his avatar, he doesn't feel the need to try to mind control her while Dragon's far more willing followers gave up their free will even though they shouldn't need to since they're "more experienced."
It is an interesting point. Though, I think it comes down to trust. Tarot and Sabrina may trust Spirit Dragon more to be mind-controlled because of the fact that they had more free-will in becoming her avatars. Bailey and Pete.... not so much.
gamepopper

Post by gamepopper »

SeanWolf wrote:So they can forfeit which in terms gives someone else their powers...could this mean the Grape could become Pete's avatar? Also I'm now curious as to what Kari is texting.
The reason Pete couldn't get Grape to become Pete's avatar (according to the Trial in Heaven arc) was because of a rule that the proposed avatar couldn't be in love (although considering that he got Bailey and still wanted King to be a full avatar despite their marriage, that rule still confuses me).
In my experience, that doesn't work. I was bullied for years and if I just ignored their whining and insults they would just change to throwing things and hitting me. :(
valerio

Post by valerio »

IceKitsune wrote:They can force them to do things if they believe its "in the mortals best interest". Considering that Pete was able to argue that turning Joel into a dog was in his best interest in Heavens court, I'm sure they could argue that stopping the nerds from having to bug the mortals would be in their best interest if it had gone on long enough.
Yush!
Argent

Post by Argent »

Xane wrote:Interesting that while Pete used more trickery and bullying to get his avatar, he doesn't feel the need to try to mind control her while Dragon's far more willing followers gave up their free will even though they shouldn't need to since they're "more experienced."
Bailey's probably more effective that way, she's playing a Tank and she's already more than a bit of a Tank in RL.

RatHead wrote: well think about it, the classic thing with whining and bullying is that if you ignore it (usually) the bully will stop...
ConvoyWolf wrote:As someone who was bullied as a kid, it never stopped.
gamepopper wrote:In my experience, that doesn't work. I was bullied for years and if I just ignored their whining and insults they would just change to throwing things and hitting me. :(
Yeh, this... also, they start doing things like stealing your work to get you in trouble.

Plus, the bullies have subjective time on their side so they won't get bored.
IceKitsune wrote:They can force them to do things if they believe its "in the mortals best interest". Considering that Pete was able to argue that turning Joel into a dog was in his best interest in Heavens court, I'm sure they could argue that stopping the nerds from having to bug the mortals would be in their best interest if it had gone on long enough.
That would still count against them in the game. Kitsune would call them on it even if Bahamut didn't.

You know, if both lose, Kitsune would make a better group leader. Maybe that's his plan all along.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
WhoElseButQuagmire

Post by WhoElseButQuagmire »

And in the next panel The Other Daryl appears upon hearing the word 'gravy'.
dryideabat

Post by dryideabat »

Yeah! Free will, mother pheasant! What now?!... I just hope that this rule undermines the fine print in that contract Bailey signed.

Line 1090: Oh, and you must forfeit the right to ignore me.

WhoElseButQuagmire wrote:And in the next panel The Other Daryl appears upon hearing the word 'gravy'.

Daryl: "You rang?..."

King: *sigh*
Gamewolf67

Post by Gamewolf67 »

So is Kari Dragon's new boyfriend now?
Feel my icy wrath!
andwhyisit

Post by andwhyisit »

gamepopper wrote:The reason Pete couldn't get Grape to become Pete's avatar (according to the Trial in Heaven arc) was because of a rule that the proposed avatar couldn't be in love (although considering that he got Bailey and still wanted King to be a full avatar despite their marriage, that rule still confuses me).
That condition was specific to the Dream Sunderer class, not all avatars.

https://www.housepetscomic.com/2012/05/ ... sundering/

Bailey is of the White Avenger class, which has entirely different eligibility criteria.

https://www.housepetscomic.com/2014/05/ ... d-justice/

King was lined up for the Dark Paladin class which is powered by discontent...

https://www.housepetscomic.com/2012/05/ ... -you-know/

..but thanks to Bailey he would have been a pretty weak Dark Paladin.

https://www.housepetscomic.com/2012/06/ ... year-four/
Argent

Post by Argent »

Gamewolf67 wrote:So is Kari Dragon's new boyfriend now?
Dragon or Tarot? I think Kari's just involved in whatever looks to provide the most hijinks.

And I still love the backgrounds in this strip.
RatHead

Post by RatHead »

Acritic2 wrote:All the more reason to. What better way to understand this stuff than a hands-on, Hit-the-ground-running, Face-it-yourself, experience? How bad could it change them? :twisted:
Exactly, they have the problems everyone else also has to deal with, and they can't fix anything with magic.

ConvoyWolf wrote:
Oh I've been bullied constantly since I was in elementary school... I'm 20 now.
But Yeah, pete+ragequit =awesome XD :lol:

Ryusuta wrote:
ConvoyWolf wrote:As someone who was bullied as a kid, it never stopped. But id like to see Pete get so frustrated me ragequits. He kinda aint that great at it anyways.
Well yeah, but think about it, King didn't COMPLETELY ignore Pete, i mean like pretend he doesn't exist. But think about it, if King, Bailey, Tarot, and Sab ALL ignored their respective players completely, starting at the same time, think of what it could do to the Cosmic Nerds!

ConvoyWolf wrote:Yeah i hate to say this but its gonna take more then a unanimous "I QUIT" to make that plan work.
Granted, maybe all the avatars start working together with each other to go against everything their players try to have them do?

gamepopper wrote:
In my experience, that doesn't work. I was bullied for years and if I just ignored their whining and insults they would just change to throwing things and hitting me. :(
Hey, again as I said above, I have been made fun of nearly my whole life, and it still hasn't stopped! Heck, one of my BOSSES at WORK was making fun of me the day before yesterday!!
Argent wrote:
RatHead wrote: well think about it, the classic thing with whining and bullying is that if you ignore it (usually) the bully will stop...
ConvoyWolf wrote:As someone who was bullied as a kid, it never stopped.
gamepopper wrote:In my experience, that doesn't work. I was bullied for years and if I just ignored their whining and insults they would just change to throwing things and hitting me. :(
Yeh, this... also, they start doing things like stealing your work to get you in trouble.

Plus, the bullies have subjective time on their side so they won't get bored.
i think if Kitsune and the COsmic court notice that the cosmic Nerds'avatars are ignoring them, they may make them stop the game, or change rules to be nicer to the avatars, or something, ya never know!

OK everyone, I said Usually on there, and i said it for a reason, I have been made fun of my whole like, in every way possible (trust me, EVERY WAY), there are some things that they do to you that you CANNOT ignore or they will take it as a sign that you do not care and that they can continue to do it, and there are some things that you MUST fight back against, like assaulting (even if the #**& school cop looks at the footage of them doing something, you fighting to protect yourself, and then giving you as much detentions and suspensions as he can and letting those little bully @#@&!%$ off with an APOLOGY FOR WASTING THEIR TIME?!?!?)
Plus I was in a military boarding school for my senior year of high school... which means that the teasing and bulling went on LITERALLY 24/7. So yes I know that ignoring it doesn't always work, that they will steal your stuff, and do anything from ripping it up, throwing it in the toilet and *EXPUNGED* on it, then flushing it; i remember them running full speed then slamming into me while i was at my locker in middle school multiple times, you wanna know pain? Think about being slammed by a guy twice your size (at least) running full speed and sandwiching you between him and a unforgiving metal locker/brick wall (i had an end locker), and then proceeding to thrown you around between him and his friends (edit: and the wall) as if you were a pinball and they were the bumpers.
Last edited by RatHead on Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

HP! Messenger
Q & A

Post by Q & A »

Q:Hey A.
A:Yeeeah.
Q:Do you remember when this comic was about a dog and a cat and their wacky adventures around their neighborhood?
Q:.........................................................................I miss that.
A:Yeah....
herobrineharry

Post by herobrineharry »

Having them both lose is... Fitting, but if this ends in reasonably talking out ther differences? Then we will sound like
Tarquin at the bottom of the page.
Forward, the Light Brigade!'
Was there a man dismay'd?
Not tho'(though) the soldiers knew
  Some one had blunder'd:
Theirs not to make reply,
Theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do and die:
Into the valley of Death
  Rode the six hundred.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Q & A wrote:Q:Hey A.
Q:Do you remember when this comic was about a dog and a cat and their wacky adventures around their neighborhood?
Q:.........................................................................I miss that.
I want those days back... :C
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

SuperStar wrote:
Q & A wrote:Q:Hey A.
I want those days back... :C
Sorry Supes but, as with any long-going series, plots develop and go their own way. I'd imagine Rick has plans for Peanut/Grape centric arcs though.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Argent

Post by Argent »

I want an arc involving Karishad and Itsuki.
deepskycyan

Post by deepskycyan »

Alternative strip title: Things Get Technical

Sitting in on that mind control discussion could be very interesting...
Also, since when is keeping power a bad idea?
Actually, don't answer that.
Argent wrote:I want an arc involving Karishad and Itsuki.
Don't we all :lol:
"Reality continues to ruin my life." -B. Watterson
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

Argent wrote:I want an arc involving Karishad and Itsuki.
Speaking of Itsuki, I wonder what happened to him. I don't recall seeing him in the past few arcs.
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City