2014/09/05 - White Space

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
WhoElseButQuagmire

Re: 2014/09/05 - White Space

Post by WhoElseButQuagmire »

Xane wrote:Also, why is Cerberus there (other than to watch Pete's comeuppance)?
She's there for the OTHER contest... Ice cream sundaes at seven paces.

Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I would really relish it if GK turned Pete into Joel. That way, he would REALLY have to work hard to earn his happy ending.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Actually, I had a funny feeling today that one of the most unusual twists to Pete and Dragon's mortal punishment is if they were forced to hang out with the sandwiches regularly ~ you know, the family with a high potential chance for avatars for Pete? Feels like bad guys gone good. Only catch is, King and Tarot would keep an eye on them. Oh, that would be clever. Mwahaha.

Dragon and Pete look at mortal life like it's the end of the world, but they never had the experience before and are basically crying over something that will likely have a lot more good things happen than bad. They are just spoiled =3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
herobrineharry

Post by herobrineharry »

Well pete, they get happy endings BECAUSE UNLIKE YOU, THEY HAVE ENDINGS.
Forward, the Light Brigade!'
Was there a man dismay'd?
Not tho'(though) the soldiers knew
  Some one had blunder'd:
Theirs not to make reply,
Theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do and die:
Into the valley of Death
  Rode the six hundred.
TheMessinger

Post by TheMessinger »

In the 5th panel, Joel is wearing Bailey's bandana, which Bailey is Also wearing. Does this mean she has more than one? Does she go through the routine of trying on different ones, looking for the best one to wear, when they are actually all the same?...
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Probably so, Messenger.
valerio wrote:Nice try of Pete with that last empty threat, but WAY outbeaten by Joel, who in TWO panels has shown he has indeed earned redemption.
WhoElseButQuagmire wrote:My thinking was if GK turns Pete into Joel for his mortal body, and have him have to serve the jail time for Joel's dog napping and assorted crimes, that would symbolicly allow King to leave his human self behind and be a corgi for good.
I find it extremely, extremely, EXTREMELY unhealthy that so many of you think the only, or at least best, way to redemption is to change your identity and start again from scratch, let alone marrying a talking animal. Yuck!
SuperStar wrote:This is how the arc should end.
---
Pete: OH THAT'S IT! I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE GAME ANYMORE! *transforms into Eldric Abomination and hovers over the Earth, shrouding it in darkness*
King: My dog...
Fox: What can we do to stop this?
Kitsune: There's nothing you can do. However, I have prepared for this, I have a back-up plan. *Snaps fingers and everyone gets teleported to the front of a house in Babylon Gardens* *knocks on door*
*door opens*
Kitsune: The world is in danger, only you can save it!
Peanut: Awesome.
Grape: *looks around in confusion*
---
Just needed to do that... :P
How many points do we have to score to get this ending?
Kitch wrote:BTW, Pete: The mortals get the happy endings because the immortals don't need them.
Exactly!, Immortal beings don't have an ending!
HAHAHAHAHA! :lol:
Lucky mother pheasants.
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

TheMessinger wrote:In the 5th panel, Joel is wearing Bailey's bandana, which Bailey is Also wearing. Does this mean she has more than one? Does she go through the routine of trying on different ones, looking for the best one to wear, when they are actually all the same?...
She's actually been wearing her scarf from the White Avenger armor. ;)
Silly Zealot (who is not Gren) wrote:I find it extremely, extremely, EXTREMELY unhealthy that so many of you think the only, or at least best, way to redemption is to change your identity and start again from scratch, let alone marrying a talking animal. Yuck!
Seems to me that starting over from scratch is a good way to get past a life that'd been mostly run into the ground. And since the opportunity to do so has been handed to him on basically a silver platter at this point, it'd seem silly to me not to take it. :P
Gesque

Post by Gesque »

Gren wrote:Pete also admitted that Kitsune is always messing with the players so I guess this is not the first time he's done such thing. I think Kitsune is just a prankster and not a spiritual guru as some of you may think. The kind of guy who's always pulling jokes on friends till it gets annoying. And now all what he had said is merely an excuse for a good trolling.
Why can't he be both a prankster and a spiritual guru?
Besides, who the **** he think he is to give lectures to other gods? Who gave him the authority to decide what is good and what is wrong? Not to mention that Bahamut said that none of this was bad so long as they don't disturb mortal souls pass into eternity.
Bahamut didn't say that their game was good or bad. He merely said that it was LAWFUL as long as they didn't disturb the passage of mortal souls. Good doesn't always equal Lawful.
Now I'm not trying to justify Pete's actions, he is a jerk, but probably his jerky attitude is caused by the jerkiness of other people towards him.
I think Pete has likely gotten the short end of the stick in life, but I also think that he's single-minded and out for revenge against Dragon for some slight, whether perceived or not. We see when they start their "duel" that is isn't very friendly. They don't play like friends enjoying a game, but like competitors and the stakes seem to support that.
Also Pete, if you wonder why mortals get happy endings and gods don't, well, that's probably because gods do not have "endings". They live forever, so no beginning and no ending.
I think he meant, "Why do the mortals get what they want but not me?" Pete's, "Happy Ending" would be him winning his duel with Dragon, getting to lead the gaming group, and snidely watching her live out a mortal life. Granted, Dragon isn't much better because she'd ultimately do the same to him if Pete lost.
WhoElseButQuagmire wrote:GK will pick up the phone "Hello, Police? I believe I just saw Joel Robinson, I think you'll find he is wanted in the States for dognapping and various other PETA related crimes. Plus he's apparently stolen three other dogs and a cat, so you can add those to the charges, and please see that they have safe passage to Babylon Gardens, USA. Thank you." GK grins to Pete who we now see has been transformed into the human Joel. "You wanted more time? Fine. You have about five minutes before the police get here, I'd start running if I were you...Mr Robinson. I think you'll have a long time to think about what you've done."
I think that would be unfair. Why Pete has to pay for Joel's crimes? His punishment is supposed to be a full mortal lifetime, not this. Joel has to pay for the crimes he committed, no matter how much he has changed now. Otherwise it would be unfair for all the other guys in prison who have changed already but still have to continue serving their sentence.
I agree with this. Plus the rules said, "One full lifetime," and starting out as Joel wouldn't be a "full lifetime."
Gesque wrote:GK did say at the end of the "Celestial Reveal" story arc that there were "rewards for reaching the end of the game."
No, they refused to play the game according to the rules and decided to take the penalties for losing. Therefore, no rewards, only consequences. Otherwise it would be stupid. You can't refuse to do a god's order without expecting any consequences. I'm not saying there won't be a happy ending but probably won't be THAT happy.

"One comes at the end of the game."

GK never said that he has to stick with King to get his reward.
Leomon2004

Post by Leomon2004 »

Gesque wrote:Why can't he be both a prankster and a spiritual guru?
That reminded me of something Grape said in the third panel here.

Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

Did Pete just make his shirt vanish? :lol:
The nine-tailed Kitsune of England.
I am Kyuunado Fureatsurī!
Want to talk? PM me or message at [email protected] and add me on Google+
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Maybe he blowed up his shirt Jata style?
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

Silly Zealot wrote:Maybe he blowed up his shirt Jata style?
I doubt it given he is a cosmic level nerd. :lol:
The nine-tailed Kitsune of England.
I am Kyuunado Fureatsurī!
Want to talk? PM me or message at [email protected] and add me on Google+
WhoElseButQuagmire

Post by WhoElseButQuagmire »

Gesque wrote:GK did say at the end of the "Celestial Reveal" story arc that there were "rewards for reaching the end of the game."
No, they refused to play the game according to the rules and decided to take the penalties for losing. Therefore, no rewards, only consequences. Otherwise it would be stupid. You can't refuse to do a god's order without expecting any consequences. I'm not saying there won't be a happy ending but probably won't be THAT happy.
I'd say that was true had the lamp originated with Tarot. But since GK is the GM, isn't it basicly his game, and his rules? And if his goal was to add a random element in order to teach Pete and Dragon a lesson, couldn't it be said the game has come to a legitement end, just not one P&D expected? In other words they reached the end of GK's game which overrode the game of petty oneupmanship between the players.
Gren

Post by Gren »

Argent wrote:Joel has served his whole sentence for everything he's responsible for. He is not responsible for Pete busting him out of jail before the trial, and everything else was going to be "time served". If anyone should serve time for Joel's "escape", it's Pete.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. It must have been due that everyone was talking that he has to pay for his crimes over and over again.

It's curious that people wish suffering for Joel's human form and happiness for his dog form when they're the same entity. I wonder why it can't be the other way around and Pete takes King's form instead? Or why are you (not specifically to you but in general) trying so hard to separate King and Joel to begin with? I can't see what makes him so unlikeable when he shares the same conscience, personality and soul with King. :?
Obbl wrote:
Gren wrote:I find it extremely, extremely, EXTREMELY unhealthy that so many of you think the only, or at least best, way to redemption is to change your identity and start again from scratch, let alone marrying a talking animal. Yuck!
WHAT? When I have said such thing? I think you've mistaken me with my "not so evil as me" twin brother, Silly Zealot. (*brofist*) Yet I will answer you. (I hope he doesn't mind).
Obbl wrote:Seems to me that starting over from scratch is a good way to get past a life that'd been mostly run into the ground.
Now when you messed up your entire life, isn't it much better to face your problems and get back on your feet? If you decides to look the other way and start anew then what are you learning? Where's the growth?
Obbl wrote:And since the opportunity to do so has been handed to him on basically a silver platter at this point, it'd seem silly to me not to take it. :P
That's exactly what I'm talking about. Even if he has suffered some bad times with Pete, King always got everything from god's hand:
-The dog who hated him was friendly now (He didn't even needed to say sorry nor feel guilty).
-The girl he fell in love with accepted him immediately (kinda weird, just like Peanut and Tarot).
-He got a free house with all utilities included without effort.
-His girlfriend magically moved right next door.
-He got a free wedding without any hurdle (even though pet weddings aren't common to see).

The thing is that fate seems to have decided to make him happy as a dog even though he has done nothing to deserve it. But as human he was forced to have a miserable life, no matter what he did. Even when he was nice with his pets, they kidnapped him and treated him poorly. Sorry but I can't see the fairness in all of this. :|
Gesque wrote:Why can't he be both a prankster and a spiritual guru?
Because if you're going to teach someone a lesson you need to be reasonable. If the other guys are immature then you gotta be the mature one. He didn't want them to learn anything. Otherwise he would have had a serious talk with them in advance and maybe the whole duel could have been avoided.
Gesque wrote:Bahamut didn't say that their game was good or bad. He merely said that it was LAWFUL as long as they didn't disturb the passage of mortal souls. Good doesn't always equal Lawful.
As far as I can tell, laws rely on moral norms. Of course, morals among gods are not necessarily equal than morals among mortals.
Gesque wrote:We see when they start their "duel" that is isn't very friendly. They don't play like friends enjoying a game, but like competitors and the stakes seem to support that.
No, they ARE friends, but they're also rivals and immature. There exist a lot of people like them in RL, believe me.
Gesque wrote:https://www.housepetscomic.com/comics/2 ... not-so.png

Yes, but he also said "after you earn them" and they certainly didn't. It has been said in this arc that they chose renounce the rewards and take the penalties instead.
They stopped fighting even when they had committed to do it. They didn't stick to the rules, which implies consequences.
ImageImage
valerio

Post by valerio »

Gren wrote:Oh yeah, I forgot about that. It must have been due that everyone was talking that he has to pay for his crimes over and over again.
It's curious that people wish suffering for Joel's human form and happiness for his dog form when they're the same entity. I wonder why it can't be the other way around and Pete takes King's form instead? Or why are you (not specifically to you but in general) trying so hard to separate King and Joel to begin with? I can't see what makes him so unlikeable when he shares the same conscience, personality and soul with King. :?
Because you apparently detest a) the concept of 'redemption' b) the concept of 'second chance unless it's ridden with hellfire' and c) the King-and-Bailey idea, so your opinion is somehow biased.
Mind me, first time Joel came on the scene, i too wished him any possible harm. but the GREAT thing of good writing is character evolution, a thing you are missing. do you think that King acted out of 'well, better I do something good so that my karma balanes back', when he kept company to Sasha, or when he built a doghouse for her? Do you think that his friendship with Fox is motivated by guilt trips only?
And, please please, PLEASE, try to remember that HEAVEN, Judge Lord Bahamut representing, is offering King a chance to earn his place Up There. Why contest that? Are human laws above th Skies' themselves??
Gren wrote:Now when you messed up your entire life, isn't it much better to face your problems and get back on your feet? If you decides to look the other way and start anew then what are you learning? Where's the growth?
So you just looked at the figures all along and skipped the text. *shrugs* oh well...
Gren wrote:That's exactly what I'm talking about. Even if he has suffered some bad times with Pete, King always got everything from god's hand:
-The dog who hated him was friendly now (He didn't even needed to say sorry nor feel guilty).
-The girl he fell in love with accepted him immediately (kinda weird, just like Peanut and Tarot).
-He got a free house with all utilities included without effort.
-His girlfriend magically moved right next door.
-He got a free wedding without any hurdle (even though pet weddings aren't common to see).
Case in point for what above stated:
-Fox basically kicked the tail outta Joel the moment he discovered the truth about his friend. And the STRENGTH of that friendship, despite that, held on because by then Fox had also discovered that there was something else in Joel other than the bitter human who had kidnapped him
-We still do not know how what has happened will influence their relationship, but she has fallen in love with the dog, with someone who has proved her over and again of his determination to stay together. it would be somehow superficial of Bailey to say 'oh, so you were a human? i want a divorce'.
-King got under the Milton's program WAY before the ferret met Pete. King was, by law, abandoned and a feral the moment Pete had left, so it was in the legal rights of the Miltons to keep King along with the wolves until a new owner was found
-Bailey was 'magically moved' after Pete (or perhaps even Kitsune, and Pete just took advantage of the occasion) bought the farm so that she ended up in Babylon with her COUSIN Fox. In Pete's plans, the bond that would've grown between her and King could have allowed him to take her and get some powerful avatar. Heck, he practically said that himself! The culmination of 7,000-years planning! So, no divine favor given either, here
-The 'free wedding' was and is part of Keene's plans to let animal rights grow stronger. By the same token, he tried to force Sabrina marry Jata in an international wedding after changing laws with the help of a justice.
Gren wrote:The thing is that fate seems to have decided to make him happy as a dog even though he has done nothing to deserve it. But as human he was forced to have a miserable life, no matter what he did. Even when he was nice with his pets, they kidnapped him and treated him poorly. Sorry but I can't see the fairness in all of this. :|
No, fate decided he had to get the chance to happiness. it was in his will and determination to grab it. And he did.
What would be the point in endless pain? Except for sadism, that is.
Gren wrote:Because if you're going to teach someone a lesson you need to be reasonable. If the other guys are immature then you gotta be the mature one. He didn't want them to learn anything. Otherwise he would have had a serious talk with them in advance and maybe the whole duel could have been avoided.
Kitsune had to be impartial. He basically even allowed Pete to try steal Joel's fate...and suffer the consequence for that. he allowed Dragon to manipulate Tarot into taking Peanut as boyfriend...and suffer the consequence for trying to steal peanut herself.
King could've done many wrong things in his new condition, and yet did NOT. Even now, in this final confrontation, he could've gone all crazy, instead of acting quite more mature and self-controlled. THAT is growth for ya!
Gren wrote:As far as I can tell, laws rely on moral norms. Of course, morals among gods are not necessarily equal than morals among mortals.
Then I suggest you to straight to Lord Bahamut and tell him that he's some amoral monster.
Human moral are very variable, FYI: Had we been living under Nazist culture and rules, our idea of moral values would've been VERY different, but lawfully applied in our system nonetheless.
Gren wrote:No, they ARE friends, but they're also rivals and immature. There exist a lot of people like them in RL, believe me.
true that!^^
Gren wrote:They stopped fighting even when they had committed to do it. They didn't stick to the rules, which implies consequences.
[/quote]
Kitsune has mentioned penalties for losing. Please go tell him that he should reset King's life, cancel him all the way and let Joel iprisoned for a nice, comfy life sentence so that his inmates are all happy. Oh yes, and that Bailey ends up in a shelter. And Fox keeps having Bino as his best pal, yay. And that Sasha suffers the abuses from her Dad with no one caring for her. Yes. That would do.
Last edited by valerio on Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Gren wrote:
Gesque wrote:https://www.housepetscomic.com/comics/2 ... not-so.png

Yes, but he also said "after you earn them" and they certainly didn't. It has been said in this arc that they chose renounce the rewards and take the penalties instead.
They stopped fighting even when they had committed to do it. They didn't stick to the rules, which implies consequences.
Technically not correct on two points.

1. Tarot temporarily halted the fight by declaring 'Time out', thus indicating that battle can be halted. It Time out has no set duration, it can legitimately last for years. Technically, to use a RL example, Korea is still at war. The 'Time out' analogy there has lasted over fifty years.

2. They haven't given up the powers. They're just not using them. They're still inside the rules even if they are bending them, yeah?
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
valerio

Post by valerio »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:They stopped fighting even when they had committed to do it. They didn't stick to the rules, which implies consequences.
Technically not correct on two points.

1. Tarot temporarily halted the fight by declaring 'Time out', thus indicating that battle can be halted. It Time out has no set duration, it can legitimately last for years. Technically, to use a RL example, Korea is still at war. The 'Time out' analogy there has lasted over fifty years.

2. They haven't given up the powers. They're just not using them. They're still inside the rules even if they are bending them, yeah?
so THIS
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

I just noticed that on Pete's shirt, the last bar of his boss health had a little bit of it in the yellow range, so even his mind couldn't hide the fact that his ego had been hurt. Either that or he has a slight weakness to pickle and cherry milkshakes :lol: .
ImageImageImageImage
Gren

Post by Gren »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:Technically not correct on two points.

1- A time out does not stop the battle. Haven't you ever seen a basketball match? There may be time-outs but the match is still on course. or a boxing match? The bell rings and the round ends but the match won't stop.
The battle begun when both parties gained an avatar commited to fight. But the battle was supposed to have a winner and since both agreed not to fight, they broke the rules (and that's why GK said "penalties").
They play by the rules even during timeouts, because timeouts ARE included into the rules (and that's why they're able to request a time-out)

2- I haven't said that. I said they've given up the rewards not the power. The rewards are attainable by winning the game.

PS: Valerio, look. I don't think I need to answer point by point because we'll keep on this over and over again. I think I has been as objective as possible even though any opinion is subjective. I gave the reasons of my way of thinking, I'm not making things up. And also, I think this must be the millionth time I say this but I'm not trying to impose my views so I don't know why you take it to heart. You're overly emotional and cannot bear when someone's thoughts or likes are opposed to yours.

Now I suggest you to cool down and re-read my post because most of your answers doesn't even have sense with the context.
ImageImage
valerio

Post by valerio »

Gren wrote:1- A time out does not stop the battle. Haven't you ever seen a basketball match? There may be time-outs but the match is still on course. or a boxing match? The bell rings and the round ends but the match won't stop.
The battle begun when both parties gained an avatar commited to fight. But the battle was supposed to have a winner and since both agreed not to fight, they broke the rules (and that's why GK said "penalties").
They play by the rules even during timeouts, because timeouts ARE included into the rules (and that's why they're able to request a time-out)

2- I haven't said that. I said they've given up the rewards not the power. The rewards are attainable by winning the game.

PS: Valerio, look. I don't think I need to answer point by point because we'll keep on this over and over again. I think I has been as objective as possible even though any opinion is subjective. I gave the reasons of my way of thinking, I'm not making things up. And also, I think this must be the millionth time I say this but I'm not trying to impose my views so I don't know why you take it to heart. You're overly emotional and cannot bear when someone's thoughts or likes are opposed to yours.

Now I suggest you to cool down and re-read my post because most of your answers doesn't even have sense with the context.
The Game is played by rules that are quite variable, so I don't think a human sport's rules can be applied by the letter.^^

PS - you're right, it's a circular argument so you can stick with the views of yours which, naturally, you think are right. Just as I do with mine.
Other people answer to your posts, as you do with theirs. If you don't want me to reply to your posts, you should stop repeating your own arguments, but that would be extremely rude of me to ask, PLUS it would be minimodding.
So, again, we agree to disagree.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Gesque wrote:
Gren wrote:Pete also admitted that Kitsune is always messing with the players so I guess this is not the first time he's done such thing. I think Kitsune is just a prankster and not a spiritual guru as some of you may think. The kind of guy who's always pulling jokes on friends till it gets annoying. And now all what he had said is merely an excuse for a good trolling.
Why can't he be both a prankster and a spiritual guru?
A Cup of Tea

Nan-in, a Japanese master during the Meiji era (1868-1912), received a university professor who came to inquire about Zen.

Nan-in served tea. He poured his visitor's cup full, and then kept on pouring.

The professor watched the overflow until he no longer could restrain himself. "It is overfull. No more will go in!"

"Like this cup," Nan-in said, "you are full of your own opinions and speculations. How can I show you Zen unless you first empty your cup?"
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Nightfirex

Post by Nightfirex »

*Whistles*

Wow this did bring a lot of meat to the table, all the talks and debates. The theories and the questions that come up, all healthy all good, it let us know we are still moral, or mortal as the gods call it. So there is a lot to cover but never enough time to do so. So I will touch base on some key things people have brought up, even though I am late to the party heh.

Part one -
Joel and Pete
One of the most important things we should know the idea of Joel and Pete, since a lot of things focus around them, the jerk and the mortal.
Now when we go way way back, Joel was a victim, and he blamed animals for his problems join PETA and got in trouble still then tell us flat out what he think of petshttp://www.housepetscomic.com/2009/05/2 ... nd-humans/. Joel was a victim turn criminal, turned victim (again thanks to pete), turned 'hero'. This is the transformation we saw. Several post mention his redemption by his action, let us not forget that King still have judgment to deal with, but him being a dog would make his judgment more lenient for him "to" get to heaven.

https://www.housepetscomic.com/2011/06/ ... ear-three/

Even when he demanded the celestial beings to be punished he was told about his own judgment, even as a dog his entry to heaven was small and Joel/king knew the judgment he would get and quickly retracted his statement. His slow transformation means that he learning to start taking that right path, do the right thing and start taking responsibility for his own actions. He finally went through the door Pete mentioned and now the path of redemption now begins. Be reminded he still hate the gods thanks partially to Pete and trying to get king to go into the dark paladin class, and he yelled at Bahamut, he doesn't care much for heaven cause it reminds him of things he lost and he still pressured others to his way of thinkinghttp://www.housepetscomic.com/2014/08/1 ... s-express/. Joel/King is still a bit of a realist, and doesn’t really accept what is put in front of him (like most humans do) even after all the gifts he been given but Joel/King did exactly that Great Kitsune wanted, an enemy player that was the outside influence of this game that help his cause.

Pete on the other hand is a jerk, he cheated, manipulated and whisk away King’s wife to go fight for King. Know who that should remind you of? Zeus! He was a huge jerk, like the biggest one ever, but he gave life lessons and people still loved him. Pete follow the path of jerk, then became a bully, and now victim. So there are those who have resentment over Pete and it is justified, but I will defend him for this reason. Pete wasn't a jerk to begin with. We get a clue about this when he explain his case to bahamut

https://www.housepetscomic.com/2012/05/ ... -lifetime/

Great Kitsune told us in his subtle way even knew that Pete and Dragon weren't originally this way http://www.housepetscomic.com/2014/09/0 ... book-says/ hence his involvement to teach them a lesson. Pete also gave life lessonshttp://www.housepetscomic.com/2009/12/2 ... christmas/ and originally change Joel to a dog to teach him a lesson to stop blaming pet for his problem and look what happen King got married to Bailey and found happiness. So based on the written observation, I can show that Pete nature and the final confrontation of him lashing out is because he lost the most important thing to a celestial being, you.. the mortal. We were his happiness, we were his happy ending. Again something so small but clues were left behind, like little crumbs. This one was a good one http://www.housepetscomic.com/2012/05/30/slide-rule/. Lord bahamut mention Pete walk a line between a 'burdened and callous' spirit. Why would a celestial being be burdened having access to heaven? Why would a celestial being who play a game that has to be involved in a mortal life, be callous? When the duel began why did Pete go after Joel despite the entire pet community he could have access to but, he went out of his way to force a human mortal to be a dog to join the game? The answer is there, He wanted to be disconnected himself from us, his loss burden him, it changed him and he started using his power for abuse, for personal gain and provided 'promises' of that power to win. How easy for us to perceived him as a jerk when one cut himself off from the rest of the world and have no care for what happen to others, just his own victory. He picked someone who the same burden the same victim like qualities he had and try to use it to win the game but it backfire. Why? cause of Great Kitsune and the gifts Joel/King received. Pete was always a victim from the start, but his story was blurred under his callous nature and we the audience was so quick to label him as jerk, without looking past who he is and stopping to ask why he became that way. His discontent, his pain, his sorrow didn't come forth till he lash out at joel. He called mortals weak, flawed, that we don't deserve the gifts cause we have faults, then his barrier came down he had to face the realization, what we have to earn he get from free, that he has to deal with the pain, loss and burden as our burdens go away when we reach heaven, Pete was going to lose his happy ending a second time and it broke him. So his outburst made Joel look like a hero, and Pete the fool and it brought Pete down to our level and we can finally relate to him it how even though he was a jerk that we now feel bad for him cause he now on "our" level. I believe was Great Kitsune knew of Pete's burdened soul, saw this and he wanted to save him because they are friends. I want you to look at the events before this break down the fact that GK brought Cerberus along even though she has nothing to do with the game. It would be easy to say they just happen to want to get a drink, but then GK pressure the two by just deciding there that the game would be over right there in front of everyone. It seem too convenient based on observation. I think GK now is making his move to try and save his friends. Valerio pointed that out with Joel and Fox that a strong friendship can look past flaws and accept forgiveness, and I think that same idea is going to be shown here with GK, Cerberus and Pete. Rick had a great theme for this "Heaven's not enough" Cause what is heaven without happiness?

The is some amazing storytelling on Rick's part, as this one theory of many that can be right or wrong, either way loving this arc.
D3ath_0ps

Post by D3ath_0ps »

Nightfirex. You... you just nailed the story completely. You win. I approve. Love this entirely.
ConvoyWolf

Post by ConvoyWolf »

Nightfirex wrote:*Whistles*

Wow this did bring a lot of meat to the table, all the talks and debates. The theories and the questions that come up, all healthy all good, it let us know we are still moral, or mortal as the gods call it. So there is a lot to cover but never enough time to do so. So I will touch base on some key things people have brought up, even though I am late to the party heh.

Part one -
Joel and Pete
One of the most important things we should know the idea of Joel and Pete, since a lot of things focus around them, the jerk and the mortal.
Now when we go way way back, Joel was a victim, and he blamed animals for his problems join PETA and got in trouble still then tell us flat out what he think of petshttp://www.housepetscomic.com/2009/05/2 ... nd-humans/. Joel was a victim turn criminal, turned victim (again thanks to pete), turned 'hero'. This is the transformation we saw. Several post mention his redemption by his action, let us not forget that King still have judgment to deal with, but him being a dog would make his judgment more lenient for him "to" get to heaven.

https://www.housepetscomic.com/2011/06/ ... ear-three/

Even when he demanded the celestial beings to be punished he was told about his own judgment, even as a dog his entry to heaven was small and Joel/king knew the judgment he would get and quickly retracted his statement. His slow transformation means that he learning to start taking that right path, do the right thing and start taking responsibility for his own actions. He finally went through the door Pete mentioned and now the path of redemption now begins. Be reminded he still hate the gods thanks partially to Pete and trying to get king to go into the dark paladin class, and he yelled at Bahamut, he doesn't care much for heaven cause it reminds him of things he lost and he still pressured others to his way of thinkinghttp://www.housepetscomic.com/2014/08/1 ... s-express/. Joel/King is still a bit of a realist, and doesn’t really accept what is put in front of him (like most humans do) even after all the gifts he been given but Joel/King did exactly that Great Kitsune wanted, an enemy player that was the outside influence of this game that help his cause.

Pete on the other hand is a jerk, he cheated, manipulated and whisk away King’s wife to go fight for King. Know who that should remind you of? Zeus! He was a huge jerk, like the biggest one ever, but he gave life lessons and people still loved him. Pete follow the path of jerk, then became a bully, and now victim. So there are those who have resentment over Pete and it is justified, but I will defend him for this reason. Pete wasn't a jerk to begin with. We get a clue about this when he explain his case to bahamut

https://www.housepetscomic.com/2012/05/ ... -lifetime/

Great Kitsune told us in his subtle way even knew that Pete and Dragon weren't originally this way http://www.housepetscomic.com/2014/09/0 ... book-says/ hence his involvement to teach them a lesson. Pete also gave life lessonshttp://www.housepetscomic.com/2009/12/2 ... christmas/ and originally change Joel to a dog to teach him a lesson to stop blaming pet for his problem and look what happen King got married to Bailey and found happiness. So based on the written observation, I can show that Pete nature and the final confrontation of him lashing out is because he lost the most important thing to a celestial being, you.. the mortal. We were his happiness, we were his happy ending. Again something so small but clues were left behind, like little crumbs. This one was a good one http://www.housepetscomic.com/2012/05/30/slide-rule/. Lord bahamut mention Pete walk a line between a 'burdened and callous' spirit. Why would a celestial being be burdened having access to heaven? Why would a celestial being who play a game that has to be involved in a mortal life, be callous? When the duel began why did Pete go after Joel despite the entire pet community he could have access to but, he went out of his way to force a human mortal to be a dog to join the game? The answer is there, He wanted to be disconnected himself from us, his loss burden him, it changed him and he started using his power for abuse, for personal gain and provided 'promises' of that power to win. How easy for us to perceived him as a jerk when one cut himself off from the rest of the world and have no care for what happen to others, just his own victory. He picked someone who the same burden the same victim like qualities he had and try to use it to win the game but it backfire. Why? cause of Great Kitsune and the gifts Joel/King received. Pete was always a victim from the start, but his story was blurred under his callous nature and we the audience was so quick to label him as jerk, without looking past who he is and stopping to ask why he became that way. His discontent, his pain, his sorrow didn't come forth till he lash out at joel. He called mortals weak, flawed, that we don't deserve the gifts cause we have faults, then his barrier came down he had to face the realization, what we have to earn he get from free, that he has to deal with the pain, loss and burden as our burdens go away when we reach heaven, Pete was going to lose his happy ending a second time and it broke him. So his outburst made Joel look like a hero, and Pete the fool and it brought Pete down to our level and we can finally relate to him it how even though he was a jerk that we now feel bad for him cause he now on "our" level. I believe was Great Kitsune knew of Pete's burdened soul, saw this and he wanted to save him because they are friends. I want you to look at the events before this break down the fact that GK brought Cerberus along even though she has nothing to do with the game. It would be easy to say they just happen to want to get a drink, but then GK pressure the two by just deciding there that the game would be over right there in front of everyone. It seem too convenient based on observation. I think GK now is making his move to try and save his friends. Valerio pointed that out with Joel and Fox that a strong friendship can look past flaws and accept forgiveness, and I think that same idea is going to be shown here with GK, Cerberus and Pete. Rick had a great theme for this "Heaven's not enough" Cause what is heaven without happiness?

The is some amazing storytelling on Rick's part, as this one theory of many that can be right or wrong, either way loving this arc.
*kneels before you and kisses your foot* You sir are all mighty and omnipotent! I would have never come to this conclusion!
valerio

Post by valerio »

Nightfirex, you're one who deserves chapeau and a DEEP bow.
Your intervention is quite welcome and perfectly developed.
Nightfirex

Post by Nightfirex »

*rubs the back of his head* Aww thanks guys. Again my conclusion is one of many ideas that could be possible. Though I am happy to see the idea was well accepted, and I am always up for criticism and rebuttals. I usually just read and let other take a crack at what the author is trying to tell us. This time around this was that point where confusion was setting in cause of Pete actions, so I wanted to give my clarification for it.

Honestly what I do want to see if my conclusion is correct. Pete should be punish for his actions ( I mean he was a huge jerk and very very abusive) and his time of redemption will begin but rather punish and cast him aside, I think GK should help Pete find that happiness again. Joel/King said Power and Love...should be given without strings. Pete is power and he can give it away to his avatar no string attached, and I believe that how it started, till a major loss happen and he close himself off. He need find an avatar that willing to work with him to show even though mortal lives are finite you can find happiness in each one you meet and that where his happy ending will be found. You can fight the battle in the game and have a fun time and when the mortal pass on meet them in heaven and share and laugh of things they did. I believe that is Pete happy ending that he never saw and should be something he needs to see for him to heal again.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Gren wrote:
Obbl wrote:
Gren wrote:I find it extremely, extremely, EXTREMELY unhealthy that so many of you think the only, or at least best, way to redemption is to change your identity and start again from scratch, let alone marrying a talking animal. Yuck!
WHAT? When I have said such thing? I think you've mistaken me with my "not so evil as me" twin brother, Silly Zealot. (*brofist*) Yet I will answer you. (I hope he doesn't mind).
Whatchyu talkin' 'bout? I clearly wrote Silly Zealot! See?
Obbl wrote:
Silly Zealot (who is not Gren) wrote:
It even says it's not Gren :P
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Nightfirex what you wrote down for the analysis of the comic is just pure awesome. TAKE ME NOW YOU PERFECT THING!
Gavinfoxx

Post by Gavinfoxx »

Boss HP from mspa?
matthew Wolf

Post by matthew Wolf »

SeanWolf wrote:
I wonder what happened to the watch in the last panel as it seems to have...disappeared.
I think he dropped it before he dissapeared I love how kistune is counting down on his watch rick really does know how to draw good facial expressions
you laugh at me because i,m different i laugh at you because your the same
Shadowstar23

Post by Shadowstar23 »

Hey everyone. My internet was messing up so I wasn't able to post until now.
Pete. We get happy endings because long ago we realized how little time we had to live. So, instead of wasting our lives messing with each other, we try to do the things that make us happy.
As for everyone who said he did a multitude of bad things, he did not. When he first changed Joel into King maybe, or when he attempted to steal King's fate yes, but other than that he has done very little to anything or anyone with bad intentions.
There is always a mystical adventure awaiting you. You just have to find it and take the first step into epicness.
mithril

Post by mithril »

This is a fantastic arc, masterfully drawn and crafted!! I am reminded of the way Captain Kirk stood up to Trelane, The Squire of Gothos. I am glad that Pete has proved to be more mature than Trelane. Or was it only the Great Kitsune's presence that restrained him?
Frank

Post by Frank »

KingFan202 wrote:I have a couple questions.. Why was Kitsune trying to teach them perspective isnt he just as immature as them? What kind of perspective? Is there some big message im missing from this comic? lol I love the comic so much but if eel like its deeper than i realize.
Do remember, that "Kettle" has his phone number ;)
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I get the impression that GK is more mature but can balance it out with immaturity.

Also, I want his outfit to be permanent. Just like I need the bomber jacket to be permanent.