2014/09/05 - White Space

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Goforit
Weather Wizard

2014/09/05 - White Space

Post by Goforit »

[ White Space ]

Title Text: there is no punchline today, only existential sadness

I'll accept "chicken dinner" as a punchline! If... it makes a difference...
Ask me about the weather.

Avatar by the amazing cartoonist Hukley!
Gbr23

Re: 2014/09/05 - White Space

Post by Gbr23 »

Oh my dog, they broke Pete ... I´ve got some duct tape somewhere, wanna repair him ?
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Man, Rick, don't make me feel bad for Pete. Things can't work that way :P
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Time for Pete and King to have a heart to heart.
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

"THROW A PUNCH OR I SWEAR I'LL DESTROY IT!"

what I would've done:
"Okay!" *uppercut Pete's beak*
"You have no sympathy from me"
This user is probably dead here. You can find me on Skype by the same username to see if I'm not actually dead.
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

:shock: OK..didn't expect to see Pete lash out like that! But seeing him on the last panel, actually made me sad for some reason. Even though I hate the character, just seeing him like that kinda saddened me (though is it just me or does the seventh panel remind anyone of a Meat Loaf album?)

I wonder what happened to the watch in the last panel as it seems to have...disappeared.
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
KingFan202

Post by KingFan202 »

I have a couple questions.. Why was Kitsune trying to teach them perspective isnt he just as immature as them? What kind of perspective? Is there some big message im missing from this comic? lol I love the comic so much but if eel like its deeper than i realize.
King as Red (Pokemon) Avatar By CHAOKOCartoons!
ImageImage
Miles the Wolf

Post by Miles the Wolf »

So wait, that's it? Pete went to far, went over the count down and... he's in a white room now?
I also love how Joel looks so small compared to giant Pete.
I'm thinking of starting a Fan Fiction, should I do it? Send me a PM with some ideas and names of characters!
Blood is red, the sky is blue, this knife is sharp, and your dead too!
D3ath_0ps

Post by D3ath_0ps »

I want to feel bad for Pete here, but seeing how he was abusing his power and being an absolute jerk, I just... can't... If he actually elaborates on the happy endings bit, maybe, but that really won't change my stance.

Also, I wonder what will happen if Pete still has the watch when the thirty seconds are up... Will Joel be Joel again? Or will Kitsune intervene one last time and transform Joel into King once and for all? Or will King still be King even after the thirty seconds are up while Pete still has the watch?
KoloroDrako

Post by KoloroDrako »

Uh-oh. Pete's having a tantrum.
Miles the Wolf

Post by Miles the Wolf »

D3ath_0ps wrote:I want to feel bad for Pete here, but seeing how he was abusing his power and being an absolute jerk, I just... can't... If he actually elaborates on the happy endings bit, maybe, but that really won't change my stance.

Also, I wonder what will happen if Pete still has the watch when the thirty seconds are up... Will Joel be Joel again? Or will Kitsune intervene one last time and transform Joel into King once and for all? Or will King still be King even after the thirty seconds are up while Pete still has the watch?
I think when the panel shifted to a white background, that meant time was up. But I'm not sure.
I'm thinking of starting a Fan Fiction, should I do it? Send me a PM with some ideas and names of characters!
ConvoyWolf

Post by ConvoyWolf »

I believe thats King's watch Pete....

Also wow.....now what?
Miles the Wolf

Post by Miles the Wolf »

I just noticed something; the amazing changing shirt can turn invisible too!
D3ath_0ps

Post by D3ath_0ps »

Miles the Wolf wrote:I just noticed something; the amazing changing shirt can turn invisible too!
It's official. I actually do NEED that shirt. :P
ConvoyWolf

Post by ConvoyWolf »

Weak, pitiful, and flawed....said the inexperienced, immature, halfbreed demigod.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Kitsune, quit trollin' us with your fancy materializing-for-teh-trollz watch :lol:

I see we have reached Pete's deep-rooted issue here. Must say, I'm intrigued to find out why this bothers him so much.
valerio

Post by valerio »

So much feels and unexpected development here!
It's tempting to feel for Pete at the moment, especially in the light of what had happened in the previous game. Something that made him as sad as he's being now.
But Pete called all of this upon himself, by his own hands: Kitsune understood where this was going since the moment the players had started ruining lives and manipulating instead of looking for spontaneous cooperation.
Nice try of Pete with that last empty threat, but WAY outbeaten by Joel, who in TWO panels has shown he has indeed earned redemption.
And now what? probably either a heart-to-heart between King and Pete in Pete's room, or a final collective consultation at the presence of Lord Bahamut.
Miles the Wolf

Post by Miles the Wolf »

D3ath_0ps wrote:
Miles the Wolf wrote:I just noticed something; the amazing changing shirt can turn invisible too!
I KNOW, RIGHT?!
Has anyone seen those shirts that look all white, but when sunlight hits it, colored designs emerge after about 30 seconds? I have one, its really neat.
Also, Welsh where are you?
Leomon2004

Post by Leomon2004 »

If you notice, his pants disappeared as well. So I think it's because he assumed his full Celestial form.
Nightfirex

Post by Nightfirex »

This kinda of reminded me of the Dragon comic when she realize that Peanut couldn't love her cause he barely knew her and she threw a fit and now Pete realize he has no power and when that power was stripped he lost everything. So it been a while since I post everything and things are wrapping up now as we see this arc will end as the game will be over. I had my reservations on a lot of things in this comic, but I am happy on how it went. I don't think we need to overthink or put too much thought into this, though I wish to explain the conclusion I have came to later. Power and love that what the Pete and Dragon represented as metaphors, that what I think. To see Pete broken here, let us know something more about them. Yes it may be hard to forgive a jerk, but I believe his ideals were skewed, by loss , by frustration. I think he need someone to talk to, to help him understand. Pete need to see his happy ending not the happy endings of others that he can't have. Maybe king or kitsune will help him with that. but loving this all the way to the end.
valerio

Post by valerio »

And by the way Pete's talking, I fear that he must have been quite the zealot in his mortal days...
WhoElseButQuagmire

Post by WhoElseButQuagmire »

D3ath_0ps wrote:I want to feel bad for Pete here, but seeing how he was abusing his power and being an absolute jerk, I just... can't... If he actually elaborates on the happy endings bit, maybe, but that really won't change my stance.

GK will pick up the phone "Hello, Police? I believe I just saw Joel Robinson, I think you'll find he is wanted in the States for dognapping and various other PETA related crimes. Plus he's apparently stolen three other dogs and a cat, so you can add those to the charges, and please see that they have safe passage to Babylon Gardens, USA. Thank you." GK grins to Pete who we now see has been transformed into the human Joel. "You wanted more time? Fine. You have about five minutes before the police get here, I'd start running if I were you...Mr Robinson. I think you'll have a long time to think about what you've done."
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Miles the Wolf wrote:
D3ath_0ps wrote:
I KNOW, RIGHT?!
Has anyone seen those shirts that look all white, but when sunlight hits it, colored designs emerge after about 30 seconds? I have one, its really neat.
Also, Welsh where are you?
Right here. Alarm failed to go off so I'm a bit late.

Shaking fear and full feathered fury
don't shake the Grand cosmic Jury
as Pete, the winged old wonder,
tries one more trick to put Dragon under.
Once more he threatens and forces
the Human Corgi to choose his fate.
In both his frames the pure anger courses
but he'll never leave his wife and mate.
All hope gone now; the Dragon resigned
to their fate. To learn and, perhaps, to love
and learn the rules. The spirit unconfined
will, perhaps, help a Dragon become a Dove.
The game's over, the moves all played
and they've fallen into the trick Kit laid.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Howellfan

Post by Howellfan »

A while back, somebody mentioned that the falling out between Dragon and Pete mightgl back to his last avatar, whom he( possibly ) lost when he/she died/was killed( perhaps ), based on one strip of his testimony in the 'Trial in Heaven' arc'. And since then I've, well actually, been watching for Griffin to surprise-drop some surprisingly heavy back story to Pete's jerk-itude. Wouldn't be surprised at all if the next strip reveals that said last avatar wasn't just any mortal to him; she 'mattered', he blamed Dragon/the 'rules'/ mortals who killed him/her/let him/her die, etc., went on a kick to which Dragon responded poorly, and they've been on it ever since.

Or - not; but it's fan to speculate. :P
Last edited by Howellfan on Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Kitsune is a lot like life, according to one of my old teachers; "screws everyone equally."

But more importantly, this page was a great big "wow." Remember when Max was in a white space when he finally let out all of the frustrations, sadness, and pain in his heart? I'm starting to think that Pete has similar problems deep within. Maybe his demeanor is because he's ultimately envious of mortals, and if what we saw during the Trial in Heaven arc was true, he was close to one of his avatars and pained by her death. I've kind of been thinking that lately. Maybe as a demi-god, he can't fully enjoy what mortals experience with Heaven, if we're going by the second-to-last panel.
Obbl wrote:
I see we have reached Pete's deep-rooted issue here. Must say, I'm intrigued to find out why this bothers him so much.
Nightfirex wrote:This kinda of reminded me of the Dragon comic when she realize that Peanut couldn't love her cause he barely knew her and she threw a fit and now Pete realize he has no power and when that power was stripped he lost everything. So it been a while since I post everything and things are wrapping up now as we see this arc will end as the game will be over. I had my reservations on a lot of things in this comic, but I am happy on how it went. I don't think we need to overthink or put too much thought into this, though I wish to explain the conclusion I have came to later. Power and love that what the Pete and Dragon represented as metaphors, that what I think. To see Pete broken here, let us know something more about them. Yes it may be hard to forgive a jerk, but I believe his ideals were skewed, by loss , by frustration. I think he need someone to talk to, to help him understand. Pete need to see his happy ending not the happy endings of others that he can't have. Maybe king or kitsune will help him with that. but loving this all the way to the end.
And I see that I'm not the only one with these kinds of thoughts.
KingFan202 wrote:I have a couple questions.. Why was Kitsune trying to teach them perspective isnt he just as immature as them? What kind of perspective? Is there some big message im missing from this comic? lol I love the comic so much but if eel like its deeper than i realize.
Well, just because one is young (relatively, of course) doesn't mean you can't be mature. He likes these games, from what we can tell, but we also see that he has standards as to how to treat mortals.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Ryusuta

Post by Ryusuta »

Oh, Rick. So little you know.

Pete being sad and miserable IS a punchline for me! :lol:
D3ath_0ps

Post by D3ath_0ps »

D-Rock wrote:Kitsune is a lot like life, according to one of my old teachers; "screws everyone equally."

But more importantly, this page was a great big "wow." Remember when Max was in a white space when he finally let out all of the frustrations, sadness, and pain in his heart? I'm starting to think that Pete has similar problems deep within. Maybe his demeanor is because he's ultimately envious of mortals, and if what we saw during the Trial in Heaven arc was true, he was close to one of his avatars and pained by her death. I've kind of been thinking that lately. Maybe as a demi-god, he can't fully enjoy what mortals experience with Heaven, if we're going by the second-to-last panel.
!

You... you may be on to something... THEORIES ARE HAPPENIN'
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

So ... if there is no duel there is no loser ... right ?
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
WhoElseButQuagmire

Post by WhoElseButQuagmire »

GK will pick up the phone "Hello, Police? I believe I just saw Joel Robinson, I think you'll find he is wanted in the States for dognapping and various other PETA related crimes. Plus he's apparently stolen three other dogs and a cat, so you can add those to the charges, and please see that they have safe passage to Babylon Gardens, USA. Thank you." GK grins to Pete who we now see has been transformed into the human Joel. "You wanted more time? Fine. You have about five minutes before the police get here, I'd start running if I were you...Mr Robinson. I think you'll have a long time to think about what you've done."

As Pete leaves, GK turns to Dragon "Now as for you...." He snaps his fingers and she vanishes. Tarot looks wide eyed "You vaporized her?!?" GK shakes his head "Nah....she'll be back..." He grins to Bailey "... In a few months..."

GK then goes to King. "Before I go, there's one thing I need you to do for me...." King rolls his eyes "I know, I know....'wake up'." GK shakes his head "No.....Be happy."
Ryusuta

Post by Ryusuta »

WhoElseButQuagmire wrote: GK then goes to King. "Before I go, there's one thing I need you to do for me...." King rolls his eyes "I know, I know....'wake up'." GK shakes his head "No.....Be happy."
Oh my god. This line... in and of itself... is so perfect.
D3ath_0ps

Post by D3ath_0ps »

Ryusuta wrote:
WhoElseButQuagmire wrote: GK then goes to King. "Before I go, there's one thing I need you to do for me...." King rolls his eyes "I know, I know....'wake up'." GK shakes his head "No.....Be happy."
Oh my god. This line... in and of itself... is so perfect.
It truly is. I absolutely love this.
valerio

Post by valerio »

WhoElseButQuagmire wrote:GK then goes to King. "Before I go, there's one thing I need you to do for me...." King rolls his eyes "I know, I know....'wake up'." GK shakes his head "No.....Be happy."
Love ya Quag.
ConvoyWolf

Post by ConvoyWolf »

WhoElseButQuagmire wrote:
GK then goes to King. "Before I go, there's one thing I need you to do for me...." King rolls his eyes "I know, I know....'wake up'." GK shakes his head "No.....Be happy."
Without the watch or unless GK changes him back to a Corgi i doubt King will be completely happy.
valerio

Post by valerio »

ConvoyWolf wrote:
WhoElseButQuagmire wrote:
Without the watch or unless GK changes him back to a Corgi i doubt King will be completely happy.
Nah. pete can't own the watch anyway, so it's due to be given back to Joel.
And one possible outcome is that King will stay a dog without the watch, after this, now that the game is done.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

*Le GASP!* IS IT TIME FOR PETE'S WHITE ROOM ASSASSINS CREED EMOTIONAL ANALYSIS?! :o
*prepares the popcorn and Tish-You!'s*
ImageImageImageImage
gamepopper

Post by gamepopper »

Wow...the plot thickens more. :(

I like how on the 7th panel, Pete has the watch in his hand but his hand is shaking, he seriously wants to crush that watch to show Joel who's boss but cannot bring himself to do it. I'm not sure how this will turn out in the end, but something tells me Pete will still be bitter over it.
valerio

Post by valerio »

gamepopper wrote:Wow...the plot thickens more. :(

I like how on the 7th panel, Pete has the watch in his hand but his hand is shaking, he seriously wants to crush that watch to show Joel who's boss but cannot bring himself to do it. I'm not sure how this will turn out in the end, but something tells me Pete will still be bitter over it.
Pete has no claims over that watch anyway, as it is a personal gift from Bahamut himself and he's objectively powerless when it comes to mortals' fate.
Wolfbane

Post by Wolfbane »

As sad as I feel for Pete and Dragon, I also know this has to happen for them. Do I think they deserve the common theory of becoming the pups? No.
... Do I feel like they deserve terrible mortal lives? No.

Mortals naturally suffer, that'll be enough.

I do want Kitsune to have something to do in the meantime though... Hmm, how about making his own cooking show?
Argent

Post by Argent »

MrNeonShot wrote:"THROW A PUNCH OR I SWEAR I'LL DESTROY IT!"

"Okay!" *uppercut Pete's beak*
Precisely. The panels loaded kind of slow for me this morning, so there was a bit of a pause right after that...so I was expecting the first panel of the second row to be Joel laying a haymaker on beaky.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
valerio

Post by valerio »

Pete is already suffering a dire punishment, the utter position of being helpless and suffering, knowing there's nothing he could do with all his power.
Not bad, not bad...