2014/09/12 - You Have Chosen...

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Dissension

2014/09/12 - You Have Chosen...

Post by Dissension »

[ You Have Chosen... ]

Title Text: Human life comes with a free smoking jacket

How will he choose, I wonder? Also, why is the Great Kitsune so awesome?

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Gbr23

Re: 2014/09/12 - You Have Chosen...

Post by Gbr23 »

I think I can say with all the confidence in the world that there is no one, absolutely no one in this forum who want him to stay human.

That is unless I am wrong.
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
KingFan202

Post by KingFan202 »

So... Does Bailey stay with him? It says his life minus the game, and that he would be alone..

I vote for him as a dog but I really hope he stays with Bailey.
King as Red (Pokemon) Avatar By CHAOKOCartoons!
ImageImage
WhoElseButQuagmire

Post by WhoElseButQuagmire »

Great Kinsune is looking quite Galafraxian tonight, much more so than usual.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Its extremely unlikely he would chose to be a human again at this point.
KingFan202

Post by KingFan202 »

Gbr23 wrote:I think I can say with all the confidence in the world that there is no one, absolutely no one in this forum who want him to stay human.

I think there is ONE. but no more.

HIS DOG LIFE IS SOOO MUCH BETTER

we've grown to love him as a dog. I might stop reading if he goes back to human D:
King as Red (Pokemon) Avatar By CHAOKOCartoons!
ImageImage
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Xane wrote:False choice, the fate isn't Kitsune's to give! Bad fox! No fried tofu for you to-night!
But it is Joel's choice to make. Kitsune's just giving him his options, making sure he's making a well-informed decision. ;)
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

(I swear it looks like Kitsune is making a kissy-face in the first panel)Ah so THAT what was in those boxes! So if he chooses human, he forfeits his marriage to Bailey and loses all the friends he made over the past years. But if he chooses to stay a dog forever, which, in my eyes, he should choose, he keeps his marriage to Bailey AND his friends but won't have to worry about the game anymore. (I'm not sure)? Just a bit confused as to what GK meant by "you would be on your own". Also, Kitsune makes the best facial expressions!

Xane wrote:
And then Karishad runs up with a fire extinguisher and puts out the foxfire. "Special delivery from Bahamut! You get to be mortal too!"
That would be both funny AND awesome!
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

Gbr23 wrote:I think I can say with all the confidence in the world that there is no one, absolutely no one in this forum who want him to stay human.

Check on the previous thread. There are some who do want to see King stay as Joel (and, in doing so, seem to overlook or not care about the annihilation of Bailey and King's marriage).
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Sheogorath

Post by Sheogorath »

It just struck me. Have we ever actually seen all of kitsunes tails cus it looks to me like he only has five or six based on the recent strips. And that would mean (forgive me if I'm wrong my kitsune lore is rusty) he's only moderately powerful correct? As a kitsunes number of tails shows their power right? going to to a maximum of nine? Again I might be wrong but just a thought.

Also I had to get out my best evening gown for this I hope it's worth it.
Wonderful! Time for a celebration... Cheese for everyone! Wait, scratch that. Cheese for no one. That can be just as much of a celebration, if you don't like cheese, true?
D3ath_0ps

Post by D3ath_0ps »

Will King stay King?

UH (DOT DOT DOT) YES!
(Gif to be posted later when imgur isn't over capacity. :P)
ConvoyWolf

Post by ConvoyWolf »

I knew this was going to be the result of the update. Two choices, one to remain human and one to stay a dog. And it seems that Kitsune isnt going to tell him which one is which. I honestly hope he dosnt choose human. So many people know him as a dog and to have their memories wiped of him and stuff would just tear me up inside, considering all thats happened over the past five years of his life.

Oh Joel please dont throw everything away just to be a rich human.
Gesque

Post by Gesque »

I'm curious if Great Kitsune knows which destiny Joel wants, because the last panel sure implies that Joel knows which one he desires.

Which object leads to which destiny is an interesting question. On one hand, the watch allowed Joel to become King while he held it, and separating himself from it returned him to normal. On the other hand, the lantern represents protection from deific involvement, a veil against the gods themselves. It stands to reason that choosing the lantern could theoretically represent the Great Kitsune's promise that Joel would be "on his own" against whatever happened in his mortal lifetime.

However, it wouldn't be a game if there wasn't some strategy to it. I'm thinking that the Great Kitsune's line of, "But you've always been on your own, ever since you got that watch," might be the clue here. So even though I could see how one might argue that the lantern could represent Joel being transformed into a dog permanently, my hunch is that its the more obvious choice, the watch.

But UGH! How am I going to wait until Monday?! Here's hoping that we haven't seen the last of King!
WhoElseButQuagmire

So if I'm reading this correctly...Joel not only has to pick if he wants to be a dog or a human, he must also guess which talisman is which...I guess watch...dog because watchdog and lamp....human because, I don't know, dogs don't tend to use lamps?
ArcWolf
Just An Arc

Post by ArcWolf »

That is an amazing fireplace.
Just an Arc
Pecan
Game Master

Post by Pecan »

Alright, had to borrow my mother's gown, but I got in!
Anyway, I do want King to stay a dog. It'd be hard to keep him in the comic if he was forgotten.
I'm pretty sure him being alone isn't hat literal. I think it's more along the lines of not having any 'otherworldly' company anymore.
Besides, I don't think Baily and Fox would let him be alone.
Paige Turner - The Stargazing Polyglot! - S4 P7 E6 C4 I10 A4 L7 (SP)
Will Turner - The Timid Survivor! - S5 P4 E8 C3 I6 A10 L6 (SP)
Timothy Cotton - The Overenthusiastic Soccer Star S6 P4 E8 C5 I5 A9 L5 (Zoo)
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

IceKitsune wrote:Its extremely unlikely he would chose to be a human again at this point.
Alright, I'll be honest here, I do want him to return to being a human. He's learned so much during his form as a dog, it could go to making things better. Here's my problem, now; that would mean everyone he's grown to care for would forget about him. I have personally held that memories are a precious thing, and it would be terrible to be forgotten. Should never have thought this would be simple, but things still manage to surprise me.
SeanWolf wrote:(I swear it looks like Kitsune is making a kissy-face in the first panel)Ah so THAT what was in those boxes! So if he chooses human, he forfeits his marriage to Bailey and loses all the friends he made over the past years. But if he chooses to stay a dog forever, which, in my eyes, he should choose, he keeps his marriage to Bailey AND his friends but won't have to worry about the game anymore. (I'm not sure)? Just a bit confused as to what GK meant by "you would be on your own". Also, Kitsune makes the best facial expressions!
My guess is this; he's been getting a lot of celestial help lately, and choosing to remain a dog would mean he's forfeiting that.

In the end, here we are, waiting for him to choose which bridge to burn.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Gesque

Post by Gesque »

SeanWolf wrote:(I swear it looks like Kitsune is making a kissy-face in the first panel)
I *think* its supposed to be a poker face.
Just a bit confused as to what GK meant by "you would be on your own". Also, Kitsune makes the best facial expressions!
If he chooses to go back to his human life, the Great Kitsune basically promised that Joel will live in luxury and absolute happiness and contentedness forever. He'll be rich, have a fulfilling career, and never want for comfort.

If he chooses to go back to his pet life, the Great Kitsune is saying that King will get no such guarantees from him. King's actions will determine the quality of his life, but he'll get to keep the life he's made so far.
Lucid_Dragon

Post by Lucid_Dragon »

The catch is that he only turns into a dog for three days, and if he can't get a princess to kiss him before The comic updates on the third day, he turns back into a human...

Kitsune: ... And you belong...TO ME! :twisted:

King: Wh-what?!

Kitsune: Oh, nothing, nothing to worry about… Just some random string that might possibly hopefully maybe not attached to your choice. Now, just signed on this dotted line…

Jokes aside, I know King will pick the right choice, but I wonder, if his life is as a dog, "minus The game," does that mean he has to rebuild everything he had before, or can he pick up where he left off?

EDIT: Oh, and Team Dog all the way. :P
Last edited by Lucid_Dragon on Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
raxim42

Post by raxim42 »

Oh my gosh this arc! I don't think I've ever felt so worried about anything on the internet!
ConvoyWolf

Post by ConvoyWolf »

Id also like to point out that while GK said everyone memories of him would be wiped if he remained human, he did NOT say that Joels memories of his friends would be wiped. That to me sounds like the cruelest of outcomes. Imagine all of your friends forgetting their memories of you yet yours being intact and having to never be able to interact with them as your now a stranger. I dunno about you but that would be emotional torture, hence why he was probably shown with his back to the camera in front of the fire like a wealthy reckloose. That would be his outcome.

And as for the dog. I think by "on his own" I think GK meant on his own without help from the gods really.

I know everyones clamoring to his supposed awesomeness, but to be honest GK, to me is no better than any off the cosmic nerds. Hes just as much a bully as pete but with his mind. I tried to like him bjut i honestly just cant.
Last edited by ConvoyWolf on Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Choose your destiny, choose your fate,
pick up the lantern or the watch.
Let your pathway from here lead
to happiness to happiness... but wait!
The one leads to safety, warmth,
wealth, power and all you want in money,
the other leaves you charming and happy -
or does it? Do future plots mean no Honey?
I can play the game, not play the future.
If you stay, the life's beyond my sight.
If you go, I can see your world for sure...
Either way the game's done. I bid you goodnight!
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

Well, without King, Sasha wouldn't have a cozy doghouse to retreat to and would probably have frozen to death on one of those cold nights that her owner locked her out; Fox probably still would have been kidnapped by the fat guy, but with a more hardened and experienced accomplice; and even Bino might not have gotten Duchess - when she found someone more suitable to enter the contest with her, she wouldn't have been that desperate.

Plus you've got to think of all the paradoxes involved with changing Joel's past. If he never had gone to prison, Pete would've had to have found another avatar, perhaps a more suitable one; the result of the game would be different, and Joel/King would never have gotten the boon in the first place.

On top of that, I think Rick would get tired of drawing human Joel really quickly. ;)
Last edited by Douglas Collier on Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
thelonewolf19

Post by thelonewolf19 »

Kitsune didn't say which one is which. Or even give a hint.....it's all on chance.
Give me strength!
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

They will not remember him? Man, these choices suck!
WhoElseButQuagmire wrote:Great Kinsune is looking quite Galafraxian tonight, much more so than usual.
Yup!
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
valerio

Post by valerio »

The first reward is just the kind of reward that would allure to a human: easy life, sins cleared, some riches, and comforts. Everything out of the zap, just a 'yes' away with no drawbacks. Like, although on a lesser scale, when the Milton ferrets went from 'given out for free' to filthy rich overnight.
But that is NOT a wise choice, it is a shortcut, an easy escape. it is the ultimate denial of what Joel, as King, has done in these years. It would underline that after all he was driven all along by 'I never cared for you guys, so long and thank for all the squaky bones!'

The second reward is just the continuation of what King has done so far, for himself and for others. Granted, he won't live a life of luxuries, but he'll be living the life he has truly built with his own strength, making the best of it and with perchance to make it even better. heck, he was ready to defy the DEMIGODS in order to keep it!
'Minus the game' doesn't mean 'without Bailey, for two reasons:
1) we don't really know if it was Kitsune or Pete who bought her farm
2) it wouldn't even be a 'prize' to make a choice that would ultimately cause King to lose just that wife he has fought so hard to keep

You know already what to choose, Joel.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Okay, I know that Joel obviously wants the King option, and that was the joke... but what if Rick was like NOPE! and had it to where it cut to the characters living their lives before king came in. It would probably be one of the most saddest endings I'd ever seen, but I have to admit I would have so much respect for Rick :lol: .

Also, I'm pretty sure the king choice is the watch because then his fate would be "In his hands", meaning he would be on his own (and no, that doesn't mean he'll literally be alone :roll: ). The lantern is the human choice because all of his involvement with the game and his life as a dog would be "repelled", and would not effect him anymore.
ImageImageImageImage
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Has Kitsune given him a clue? He can't tell what that future holds because he can't see it? Lantern influence maybe?

I got a tune stuck in my head again. I thought it appropriate. Can you guess what it is?

There's a choice,
keeps on calling you.
Down the road,
what are you gonna do?
Any choice you make,
it promises pain
but, when it's gone
you wonder on
if you're gonna gain.
Maybe tomorrow
you're gonna get your dream
until tomorrow
things just aren't what they seem.
So if you want an ending,
for the while,
just grab your box
hope it unlocks
and makes you smile.
Maybe tomorrow
you're gonna get your dream
until tomorrow
things just aren't what they seem.
Maybe tomorrow, Bailey is your dream...
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Perpetualflight

Post by Perpetualflight »

Sounds to me like most are in agreement on what's going on for a change. I just have one thing to say. I saw a few wondering if GK would tell Joel/King which item leads to which future. Based on GK's "policy of intrinsic benevolence", my opinion is he WILL tell him which is which, because otherwise it wouldn't have really been his choice.

Also, thanks for the double poems/songs tonight, and goodnight to you too, Welsh! (I just wish I could figure out that song, sounds familiar)
Therolyn

Post by Therolyn »

So it has finally come down to it, the choice that Joel/King had to one one day make. Not an easy one of course considering the ramifications of either choice may be. On one side we have a promised life where his life will turn for the better, where he will live in comfort, security and physical fulfillment/wealth/career fulfillment as a human. This is of course very tempting as a choice, its a certainty that his life will get better, on the other hand those that Joel met as his time as King will forget him and here is where a possible trap lies. There's always the possibility that he will regret going down that path, if his love for Bailey is strong enough. Afterall, there isn't any mention that Joel himself would forget them. The big question here is if it all ends up equating to true happiness in life.

One the hand, an uncertain future as a dog, with all of the possibilities for joy and sorrow, hardships and triumphs. In this case, his own life is his own to forge and is not laid out to a foreseeable path. It will continue as its been, which could be both a good thing or a bad thing. He has friends and a love, something which were absent from his old life (from what we could see, we do not know too much about). In this choice exists the potential for both a truly happy life. His fate is his own. And in a way there is at least one certainty which the other cannot have. He'll have those he already knows and trusts there. That could be all he needs to be truly happy.

I find it interesting that in each view of each destiny shows him obscured, you cannot see his face.

I believe its not just a choice, in many ways its a test on its own. Especially with the fact that the two items in question have not been revealed directly which destiny they link to.

That's my rant for the year. Might be completely wrong or right or anywhere in between, in any case no matter, i'll be very very interested to see what Joel/King's choice will be.

Lastly, Welsh Halfwit, great as always.
Werebilby For the Period of Easter - Please fellow Australians do not forget our little guy, the bilby
Lang

Post by Lang »

Tough choice... is that perfect life insured against random acts of demi-god?
valerio

Post by valerio »

It is tempting to say that the watch holds the doggy life...but that watch was JOEL's fate, while the 'lantern' is exactly what King needed to carry out his plans to end the game and reunite with Bailey without divine interference.
So, I say the right choice is the lantern.
Also, great song editing, welsh, but I really can't remember which one is...
CityRedFox

Post by CityRedFox »

I think Joel had already make his decision when he said it's "an easy choice." Judging from his words and reaction, it's not even a hard time making up his mind. At least that's what I think. I would be a surprise if he did choose the human side.

Now I'm curious about what the item and that "up", "down" mean...The lamp stands for dog and thus "up"?
WhoElseButQuagmire

The small details GK is leaving out....

Old broken life fixed
Criminal record expunged
Never in need or want
However...
(We see Joel look around the wing of the chair)
...You'll have the head of a dog...

Your other option -- remain a dog and everything you've known as a dog stays the same minus the Game
Except....
(We see King turn around)
...You'll have the eyes nose and mouth of a human....

Choose wisely....
Discostew

Post by Discostew »

The first choice doesn't seem to make it clear on what will happen to his friends if he chooses that. Would the memory of King simply be blocked out, or would history be rewritten as if he never became a dog in the first place? It mentions his friends wouldn't know him, but nothing indicating that he wouldn't know them. I'm leaning towards the latter, only because attempting the former would sound brutal to Rick's purpose of continuity. then again, choosing the latter would mean anything that would relate to the past would have to be rewritten, which may also be brutal to Rick. So, what's a guy to choose? The 2nd choice. Stay as a dog.

Honestly, I think it's safe to say that he's going to choose to be a dog. Not just because this comic is about housepets (as humans take a less-than-active role in it), but because something is likely to be learned from this, and I see no lesson coming from choosing to be a human. Maybe "friends make life worth living" or something along those lines. But, if there was no actual lesson to be had, I just picture the two choices as this. The choice to be a human from what GK is offering sounds like he'd get the perfect life, but you know what? That kind of life would be boring. Seriously, if you had everything you ever wanted, whether that is wealth, peace, etc, then what's left? The life that seems to be placed before him as a human sounds like it's all planned out. Who honestly wants a life that's planned out for them? The choice to be a dog would basically mean he'll won't know what's going to happen, and that's what makes any life exciting. Not knowing what's going to happen next.
valerio

Post by valerio »

Unfortunately, the choice still can't be taken for granted, and we can be sure that Rick will torment us until next Friday.
Why? Because in spite of it all, despite him accepting his new life and wanting it, King could still like being human after all.
He has not that luxury anymore now. He MUST be sure of his choice, or one can bet he'll become the walking target of some other celestial prankster...
Ryusuta

Post by Ryusuta »

He neglected to mention that Joel is hellbound if he opts to stay human. At least, according to some earlier strips. >.<
Perpetualflight

Post by Perpetualflight »

CityRedFox wrote:I think Joel had already make his decision when he said it's "an easy choice." Judging from his words and reaction, it's not even a hard time making up his mind. At least that's what I think. I would be a surprise if he did choose the human side.

Now I'm curious about what the item and that "up", "down" mean...The lamp stands for dog and thus "up"?
You brought up another good question that I had too. Up and down, lamp and watch, human and dog. You know what I think? I think Up means tall and Down means short. In other words, Up is human future and Down is dog future. King and height jokes go together, ya know? ;)
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Sheogorath wrote:It just struck me. Have we ever actually seen all of kitsunes tails cus it looks to me like he only has five or six based on the recent strips. And that would mean (forgive me if I'm wrong my kitsune lore is rusty) he's only moderately powerful correct? As a kitsunes number of tails shows their power right? going to to a maximum of nine? Again I might be wrong but just a thought.

Also I had to get out my best evening gown for this I hope it's worth it.
No, he has nine tails. I think the only panel we actually see them all is the top right panel on this strip

And like someone above said, he does look Gallifraxian today, doesn't he? I guess he, like Pete and Dragon and Bahamut can change his form to anything he likes. We probably should be used to it by now. :P
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

IceKitsune wrote:Its extremely unlikely he would chose to be a human again at this point.
It kills the drama of what the choice will be, does it not? : )
KingFan202 wrote:

I think there is ONE. but no more.
Hey, what do you mean "no more"?, I'm not dead!
KingFan202 wrote:HIS DOG LIFE IS SOOO MUCH BETTER
Oh, come on, who doesn't want to sit on a couch, holding a glass wine and staring at a fireplace for all eternity?
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!