2014/09/12 - You Have Chosen...

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
valerio

Re: 2014/09/12 - You Have Chosen...

Post by valerio »

Possibly, the moment Joel does the final, ponderated choice, the true object will stand out. It would make no sense if he chose option X and then he found himself locked in option Y
Argent

Post by Argent »

Gbr23 wrote:I think I can say with all the confidence in the world that there is no one, absolutely no one in this forum who want him to stay human.
Not if it involves wiping himself out of existence and replacing himself with a stranger who has no continuity of consciousness with him. Remaining human on those terms would amount to suicide.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
gamepopper

Post by gamepopper »

So this is what I can gather thus far...

Choices are that Joel can either remain human (the lantern) or permanently become a dog (the watch), both both choices have a cost (which I totally called in the last comic discussion :P)
gamepopper wrote:Finally, my theory on Joel's prize. Since the labels translate to up & down, I'm going with GameCobra's theory of it being a choice of heaven (dog) or earth (human), although I'm gonna guess there is a cost to both.
- Remaining human, but with the powers of GK, he can have all his troubles removed from history. No criminal record, no rough upbringing, no family troubles. However, none of his friends would remember who he is because they would have never met.
- Permanently becoming a dog, his current life as he sees it would return to normal, just without the Game being attached to his life. Admittedly the "cost" did confuse me for a bit, but I think that was because I was mixing up "on his own" with "being alone". If he chooses being a dog, he won't be alone, he'll keep his friends, his love (Bailey), he'll stay in Babylon Gardens and everyone will know him as King, the Corgi of Babylon Gardens. However, as far as heaven is concerned, he'll be on his own, with no assistance from them in his life. As Kitsune said, "You always were, ever since you got that watch", saying that since he got the watch from Bahamut, he didn't have any other help from the Gods to find Bailey and help bring an end to the game, though he still got help from Fox, Keene, Tarot, Sabrina and Bailey.

As for why the lantern is the human choice and the watch is the dog choice is simple, its because those were the forms he took when first in contact with them. He was a dog when he first got the watch, and a human when he first got the lantern. That and because of typical western right hand bias, it's safe to assume the choices go from right to left. :P

Personally, with King being one of my favourite characters I'd personally want Joel to choose Dog, but I can agree with some people that choosing human has its benefits. From the way GK explains the destinies, it sounds more like "You can either stick with your new life, or I can make your old life even better".

So thank you Rick Griffin for giving us the most agonizing discussions ever conceived from a webcomic. :D
Last edited by gamepopper on Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Argent

Post by Argent »

ConvoyWolf wrote:Id also like to point out that while GK said everyone memories of him would be wiped if he remained human, he did NOT say that Joels memories of his friends would be wiped.
That's hardly better... he would continue, but the version of his friends who remember him would be wiped out, replaced by strangers, and he would know he'd done that. That wouldn't be fair to them, and it would break Kitsune's promise to Tarot and Sabrina to have "lived this experience and grown from it".

And what about Baiiley? She's one of the avatars, and she never got mentioned in this strip.

Doesn't Kitsune have anything to say to her?

Doesn't she have any say in Joel's choice?

No, Joel can't choose human in these circumstances without being horribly unfair to everyone else.
WhoElseButQuagmire

Post by WhoElseButQuagmire »

valerio wrote:Possibly, the moment Joel does the final, ponderated choice, the true object will stand out. It would make no sense if he chose option X and then he found himself locked in option Y
It would make sense to an admitted trickster vulpine.
ConvoyWolf

Post by ConvoyWolf »

I just find it saddening really that after all the emotional beat downings Joel/king has had since the beginning of this arc, hes still faced with a choice that he has to make. Worst of all GK who we all thought was on his side, really seems to just be another trickster, seeming to relish in everyones confusion or frustration.
valerio

Post by valerio »

Argent wrote:
ConvoyWolf wrote:Id also like to point out that while GK said everyone memories of him would be wiped if he remained human, he did NOT say that Joels memories of his friends would be wiped.
That's hardly better... he would continue, but the version of his friends who remember him would be wiped out, replaced by strangers, and he would know he'd done that. That wouldn't be fair to them, and it would break Kitsune's promise to Tarot and Sabrina to have "lived this experience and grown from it".

And what about Baiiley? She's one of the avatars, and she never got mentioned in this strip.

Doesn't Kitsune have anything to say to her?

No, Joel can't choose human in these circumstances without being horribly unfair to everyone else.
...or, perhaps, the best choice is...that there is NO choice.
Joel could easily talk back to Kitsune and tell him something on the line of "You know what I want. You know what is the life I crave. Yes, I may miss what I used to be, but I know who I want to be from now on. And you will NOT put any trick. So, O Great Duster, Give me back my life now!"
Nameless coyote

Post by Nameless coyote »

And what about Baiiley?

But there's a possibility you didn't take into account. King/Joel could initially say he wants to stay as a dog, but Bailey might once again value his happiness over hers, and insist on him going human.
What could possibly go wrong...?
InDaZone1219

Post by InDaZone1219 »

On one hand, he gets a fireplace and a glass of wine.
On the other hand, he gets to enjoy a sunset and having friends.

This is seriously a life or death situation....
A steady, but luminous glow of power in the dark
Gordon Callahan

Post by Gordon Callahan »

"Don't deserve heaven." Pete must've meant the life King has as a dog, since that was where he got the watch, heaven, which turned him into a dog, as well as turned him back to human when Pete took it off King. And Bahamut told him: "You'll know when to use it." That time must be when he has to choose his future, which will lead him to being a dog forever. And when Kitsune said he'll be alone, he meant without Demi-God intervention, as when he wore the watch, as it kept both Pete and S. Dragon from messing with him or his friends. Lastly, the pickle in the milkshake...it may have been a small, almost throwaway detail, but it could've been a huge hint as to why Joel/King would stay a dog forever.
Titanium Dragon

Post by Titanium Dragon »

Ah, but the Great Kitsune did not mention the third option:

Walk away.

Turn his back on the "prizes".

An often forgotten choice.

The real question is, which is the best choice for Joel and Bailey?

What does "minus the game" mean? Is he going to lose his memories of the game? Or does he keep those, and the GK just meant that he was no longer part of the game?

The human choice seems right out, especially if he loses his memories of what happened - memory alteration is bad, yo. And brainwashing the others is no better.

Being a human, but maintaining his memories, or maintaining his ability to turn from dog to man would be very useful for navigating the world of Housepets, because pets are second-class citizens - if citizens at all. Of course, he is very independent as a dog.
PRDX4

Post by PRDX4 »

If Joel doesn't pick to be King, I will be so mad! As much as the Cosmic Game both entertained me and annoyed me, I will not lose 3 of my favorite characters at once! Plus, why would you ever pick the human one?
Argent

Post by Argent »

Nameless coyote wrote:But there's a possibility you didn't take into account. King/Joel could initially say he wants to stay as a dog, but Bailey might once again value his happiness over hers, and insist on him going human.
That would seem out of character. She just agreed to become Pete's avatar so he could stay as a dog. And she know humans aren't as happy as dogs.

Acritic2

Post by Acritic2 »

Nameless coyote wrote:
And what about Baiiley?

But there's a possibility you didn't take into account. King/Joel could initially say he wants to stay as a dog, but Bailey might once again value his happiness over hers, and insist on him going human.
Now that's true, Bailey could want Joel to choose his own happiness over hers, but his happiness might be the same as hers by this point.
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

I love this update. The choice is his, but I hope he chooses King. You know that is what he wants, though, he could do more as a human.

Too bad it is at random. If he turns human, his best friends and wife forget he ever existed. If he stays King, he doesn't lose a thing, at all. You saw his parents are in Heaven all ready. He has nothing to gain as a human, and nothing to lose as a dog.

Choose wisely King.

(That means I want King.)
Gamewolf67

Post by Gamewolf67 »

Dissension wrote:[ You Have Chosen... ]

Title Text: Human life comes with a free smoking jacket

How will he choose, I wonder? Also, why is the Great Kitsune so awesome?
I bet he chooses dog form. Also, best panel was the last one. I'm using it as my computer desktop background.
Attachments
Kitsuneboss.PNG
Kitsuneboss.PNG (64.34 KiB) Viewed 9165 times
Feel my icy wrath!
WhoElseButQuagmire

Titanium Dragon wrote:Ah, but the Great Kitsune did not mention the third option:

Walk away.

GK: "Make your choice"
Joel: "I choose....... To wake up!"
GK: ( smiles) You have chosen....wisely

King wakes up in his bed next to Bailey. On his night table he sees a DVD of a documentary "Or Was It? -- The Story of how one man beat the demigods at their own game" A Keene Milton Production.

Last frame at the Milton compound Keene is yelling at Rock and Cameron "What in Dog's name do you mean all the footage disappeared!!!! Do you know how much I have invested in this????? WHERE'S KARI????"
Lucid_Dragon

Post by Lucid_Dragon »

My computer picked a heck of a time to die...I just thought of a hilarious pic to make based on this, so rather than let the idea go to waste, I'm putting this idea out to anyone who wants to make it: Imagine King and GK in a scene like this :P

Anyways...
WhoElseButQuagmire wrote:GK: "Make your choice"

King wakes up in his bed next to Bailey. On his night table he sees a DVD of a documentary "Or Was It? -- The Story of how one man beat the demigods at their own game" A Keene Milton Production.

Last frame at the Milton compound Keene is yelling at Rock and Cameron "What in Dog's name do you mean all the footage disappeared!!!! Do you know how much I have invested in this????? WHERE'S KARI????"
This. :D
WireWolf

Post by WireWolf »

Yeaaaaah. This is a Test. Kitsune is testing King/Joel's values and beliefs.
Joel has from the VERY BEGINNING. Raged against the gods regarding their treatment and interfering in mortal affairs and lives...When it was negatively affected King/Joel's life. Picking to be human see's the gods actively interfering and helping Joel threw his entire life to make sure it's pleasant and perfect and to top it off the gods will even wipe away the memories of his friends, neighbors and his wife of him ever having existed in their lives so they won't miss him. (I have problems with the mind-wipe to begin with but I'm leaving that out for now.)
Accepting their help in this violates everything he's stood for and all for personal gain. It's a horrifically selfish choice. It's also a very HUMAN choice. One designed to absolve him of all guilt and consequence and I don't just mean the criminal record.

Staying a Dog means King sticks to his metaphorical guns. He doesn't need or want the gods help. He doesn't want to violate his friends or wife's privacy and probably most importantly he has FINALLY accepted that his actions and choices have consequences have repercussions you can't just, run away from. He was only brought into the game because Pete saw a blackness coiled about his heart that he could use. He was only brought into the game because Pete saw that he could stand to benefit from becoming a Dog (Even if it was less for his own good then it was for Pete's.) and because King gave him permission...Albeit flippantly and without realizing he actually had a choice but still.
Regardless of this King has for the most part blamed the gods for his becoming a Dog without accepting his own role in it, his life was altered because of the strange confluence of events both mundane and cosmic, some such events of his own doing others beyond his control. But that is ultimately life.
Accepting his new life which was originally to be a consequence for his sins, sticking to his stated opinion that he doesn't want any help from the gods (Even when it would benefit him.) And refusing to have the gods interfere with the lives of so many others who are probably the only sophonts who have ever accepted, befriended and loved him in his entire life..... It's a selfless choice. Which is ironically also a very HUMAN choice. One showing that he's not only learned something from all of this but also has made a change for the better.

The fact is there are no consequences for either of these choices. There isn't a right or wrong choice. If Joel decided to go back to being a human he's not going to have Kitsune tell him he made the wrong choice or any other god for that matter.....He's just going to have to live with the memories, guilt and hypocrisy that will likely gnaw at the corners of his heart and soul for the REST of his very long life and one day he'll probably sit in his big comfy chair in his fancy smoking jacket in front of the fireplace one night and realize he made the wrong choice...And there's nothing he can do to fix it.
What are they then but Brutes? ‘Tis vice alone that constitutes. Th’enchanting wand and magic bowl,
The exterior form of Man they wear,But are in fact both Wolf and Bear,
The transformation’s in the Soul.
Jamonius

Post by Jamonius »

Not much of a choice at all really.

Bailey, he chooses Bailey.

WAIT A MINUTE!

Just popped into my head, does Joel/King have to accept the boon? Is he free to just tell Kitsune "keep your prize" and just walk away? If so there's the third choice; one where he remains human (I don't think he gets to keep the watch after this point but I could be wrong) and will have to face the consequences of his actions. However, he'll still have Bailey, though that relationship may change, and he'll still have his friends and once he gets out of jail he can rebuild his life his way and not have things predetermined for him.

Mod Edit: Don't double post. Use the edit button to add more if your post is the most recent
Corsi

Post by Corsi »

I have literally only just gotten into this comic.

After really getting into it and spending like .... a few hours reading it from start to present (Yes I was so into it I did nothing else.) when I caught up to date I was upset because I couldn't move on and find out what happens.

That being said I love this comic obviously. My favorite characters are King/Joel, and Sasha.

Obviously everyone with the exception of one or two want Joel to stay as King. I agree. And yes I would be less interested in the comic and eventually fall off reading it because I like the way King reacts to being a dog after spennding most of his life as a human. It gives that slice of life twist that I greatly enjoy from this.

The best example of that is the comic where King started shaving then realized what he was actually doing.

Over the years he's gotten more and more accustomed to things. But even the proposal and wedding to Bailey was in part his human side influencing his canine side. And I LOVE that.

Now as for what is going on currently with Pete and Dragon. Pete seems to have always looked ahead and planned for the future, leaving in set ups for later. I think his leaving Keene the mana was a set up in case he lost the dual. It seems like it's now a way for him to get himself and Dragon out of their mortal forms. With Dragon it would be the Lantern.

I can see everyone talking about the watch being his Dog form and the Lantern being his human form. But think of this...

On the watch is the name Joel and NOT King. The Lantern is part of the game they were playing and was given to him which eventually on the trip to heaven allowed him to go back to being a Corgi. He also used it as a Dog to stop the game.

The two items could be switched around and not be what everyone thinks they are.

If the Lantern is for him to stay a Corgi, everything else starts to make sense. The Lantern (given by Dragon) could get Dragon out of being mortal. The Mana could get Pete out of being mortal. And to that end, Tarot seems to know something the others don't. Maybe I am reading too much into it but she was portrayed as being very secretive in the diner about the lantern and what it could do when she and King were talking quietly about it. (Note, the others wouldn't hear any of that due to the powers of the lantern)

There's alot more going on here. And it all rides on this choice that Joel/King makes right now.

SO ... WHO HERE CAN'T WAIT FOR THE WEEKEND TO BE OVER???
Bucky-Roo

Post by Bucky-Roo »

Just imagine the outrage in the forums if Joel picks human life. The suspense is killing me. I literally can't wait to see what happens. :D Bow down to the King.
Hello, my baby
Hello, my honey
Hello, my ragtime gaaal
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Corsi wrote:The Lantern (given by Dragon)
*Ahem* Not given by Dragon ;)
Gesque

Post by Gesque »

thelonewolf19 wrote:Kitsune didn't say which one is which. Or even give a hint.....it's all on chance.
Actually, I think he did. Check out what GK says in panel 5.

"You would be on your own. But then again, you always were. Ever since you got the watch."

GK's promise for King returning to doghood is that every thing he does will be without the guarantee of the gods. As GK says himself, King would be on his own. Why mention the watch if it wasn't a significant clue?

I think rather than a game of chance, this is more like a temptation from GK. A test to see if Joel means what he says and a way for GK to allow Joel to choose his own destiny. That way, no matter what path he chooses Joel could never say that someone (or something) else chose his path for him. Perhaps GK HAS to give King his reward like this because Joel is still holding his own soul.
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

Corsi wrote:I have literally only just gotten into this comic.

After really getting into it and spending like .... a few hours reading it from start to present (Yes I was so into it I did nothing else.) when I caught up to date I was upset because I couldn't move on and find out what happens.

That being said I love this comic obviously. My favorite characters are King/Joel, and Sasha.

Obviously everyone with the exception of one or two want Joel to stay as King. I agree. And yes I would be less interested in the comic and eventually fall off reading it because I like the way King reacts to being a dog after spennding most of his life as a human. It gives that slice of life twist that I greatly enjoy from this.

The best example of that is the comic where King started shaving then realized what he was actually doing.

Over the years he's gotten more and more accustomed to things. But even the proposal and wedding to Bailey was in part his human side influencing his canine side. And I LOVE that.

Now as for what is going on currently with Pete and Dragon. Pete seems to have always looked ahead and planned for the future, leaving in set ups for later. I think his leaving Keene the mana was a set up in case he lost the dual. It seems like it's now a way for him to get himself and Dragon out of their mortal forms. With Dragon it would be the Lantern.

I can see everyone talking about the watch being his Dog form and the Lantern being his human form. But think of this...

On the watch is the name Joel and NOT King. The Lantern is part of the game they were playing and was given to him which eventually on the trip to heaven allowed him to go back to being a Corgi. He also used it as a Dog to stop the game.

The two items could be switched around and not be what everyone thinks they are.

If the Lantern is for him to stay a Corgi, everything else starts to make sense. The Lantern (given by Dragon) could get Dragon out of being mortal. The Mana could get Pete out of being mortal. And to that end, Tarot seems to know something the others don't. Maybe I am reading too much into it but she was portrayed as being very secretive in the diner about the lantern and what it could do when she and King were talking quietly about it. (Note, the others wouldn't hear any of that due to the powers of the lantern)

There's alot more going on here. And it all rides on this choice that Joel/King makes right now.

SO ... WHO HERE CAN'T WAIT FOR THE WEEKEND TO BE OVER???
Wow, welcome, and 1 day? Took me an entire week 1 month ago.

I love all these points, my favorite being the items. I do believe it is right, because the watch was part of his human soul.

Great points you have, and welcome to the comic. I highly recommend Housepets the Series if you want more of these characters, link is in my signature. It is a great story written by a good author.
Leomon2004

Post by Leomon2004 »

The last panel. Oh Kitsune, you TROLL. :lol: :lol: :lol:
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

To all the people saying that Joel has a third choice, to just walk away, yes, he does. But I don't think this is the best choice, nor the worst choice. Here are what I think of the choices.

Best choice, become a dog again. Pros: Gets to stay with his wife and best friend. Gets to be a dog again. Is on his own. Cons: He could never be a human again. THIS IS CHOSEN AT RANDOM!

An ok choice, he walks away. Pros: He gets to stay with wife and friends. He is human. After time in jail, he is out. Cons: He is wanted for crimes, so he could be put back in jail. He would never be a dog again. It would be awkward for Fox and Bailey because Joel is a human, even if it is still the King they know and love. THIS CHOICE IS ONLY ONE THAT WOULD BE 100% JOEL'S CHOICE!

WORST CHOICE! Become human, everyone forgets him, and his life is fine. Pros: He is no longer a criminal. He is human again. Cons: NO MORE KING! Wife and best friend forget he ever existed. This is the route of GREED! THIS CHOICE IS RANDOM!

That is what I think of the choices he could make. Hope King is back, as that would be best.

OR HE COULD JUST CHOOSE TO WAKE UP! :) He would wake up at home in bed with his wife. Then get up and talk to Fox about how great a dream he had. OR WAS IT! :P

PS: I hate being at school, and not being able to post any time I want or having the time to read what others are saying. :(

PSS: Now that I have time, no one is replying or discussing. Just my luck...
WhoElseButQuagmire wrote:
Titanium Dragon wrote:Ah, but the Great Kitsune did not mention the third option:

Walk away.

GK: "Make your choice"

YES! This is perfect. I love this, you sir, have won an internet. Not only for that, but the great poetry on last comic discussion.

Mod Edit: Don't double post. Use the edit button to say more if your post is the most recent
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

Considering he's still wearing Bailey's bandana, I would like to think his choice would be obvious. I could be wrong, but combining with Joel calling the choice "simple" makes me think he's leaning toward remaining as King.
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

Kitch wrote:Considering he's still wearing Bailey's bandana, I would like to think his choice would be obvious. I could be wrong, but combining with Joel calling the choice "simple" makes me think he's leaning toward remaining as King.
Also the fact that it has been years of his life, and that it was a better life. His human parents are dead. He made his best friend as a dog, and he is MARRIED to a dog. You'd think the choice is simple. We can only hope.
zanalt_t

Post by zanalt_t »

Hmm. I'm having to add that kitsune as one of the several people I'd not enjoy knowing on a daily basis. Quite full of himself, that one.

As for the choice, I'd like to think it's pretty obvious which one he'll take, but I suppose it could swing either way.
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Oh man, the tension is rising! :o
deepskycyan

Post by deepskycyan »

Like I've said before; change is good.

Most of us here want King to stay as King. Perfectly understandable, nobody wants the corgi that we all know and love to disappear forever.
However, is this the best choice plot-wise? King is THE dramatic character of housepets, and as we arrive at the end of the game, could it be that King's life, which revolves around the game through the course of the comic, suddenly hold no meaning?
Consider this: King stays a dog, lives a peaceful life in the company of his friends and is uninvolved with any more drama as the comic returns to its slice-of-life format. Is this still the King we know and love? A King who has nothing to feel indignant about? This would seem quite out of character to me.
The alternative: King becomes human, retains memories of past dog life. Now, this may seem like a bad choice, and the first one a no-brainer. However, I find that this path is the better choice plot-wise, as we'll see how King deals with reuniting with his former life (the choices are random after all, and I did not say he would be happy!) and how he plans to contact the oblivious Fox, Bailey etc, if at all.
So my point is, that becoming human provides some degree of continuity to the game, whereas staying a dog just puts an end to all of it. And yes, I know that concluding the cosmic arc is what Rick intends to do, but I can't really believe that Rick is truly willing to give up on all of it. Perhaps he has some plans on extending the game's presence while keeping the comic a lighthearted tone, and I find it easier to achieve this through the character of Joel.

As for my personal preference on the choices, I'm quite impartial.
Can't wait to see how this wraps up!
"Reality continues to ruin my life." -B. Watterson
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I would lie if I said that King was my favorite character when he is in my top five, however I do believe that he will make a choice not based on his own happiness but on the happiness of his friends and his wife. If that choice happens to make him happy, then thats a bonus!
WhoElseButQuagmire

I hope the end of the arc doesn't mean the end of seeing GK...I hope Rick would let him pop in every now and then ala Q on ST NextGen.
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

dtlux1 wrote:His human parents are dead.
We know his mother is dead. We don't know about his father.

Then again, time has no meaning in Heaven, so it's possible she's not dead yet, and that's a future self.

Also, that would be irrelevant anyway. I'm guessing that if he chooses to remain a dog, "Joel Robinson" would cease to exist. He would just be a missing person who will someday (likely long after King dies) be reclassified as "missing, presumed dead".

(Or GK will play a cruel joke on King and have him discover his human corpse drowned in a river somewhere. Ehh, that's a bit dark, but I wouldn't even think of it if not for "adorable puppy".)
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

My speculation: Joel sitting in a chair is foreshadowing him if he were like the regular faceless human pet owners. Possibly King and Baileys. If the game never existed, then King would have a real owner.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
valerio

Post by valerio »

Also, King in that destiny projection could easily be smiling, sitting there just a moment before Bailey comes from behind him <3
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

valerio wrote:Also, King in that destiny projection could easily be smiling, sitting there just a moment before Bailey comes from behind him <3
That would be a cute way to end the arc :D
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
matthew Wolf

Post by matthew Wolf »

Xane wrote:
Just wanna beep Kitsune's nose!
I just wana huggles those paws also since when does he have paws?
you laugh at me because i,m different i laugh at you because your the same
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

matthew Wolf wrote:
Xane wrote:
Just wanna beep Kitsune's nose!
I just wana huggles those paws also since when does he have paws?
He is a demigod, remember that. He can change forms whenever it suits him.