2014/09/15 - . . . Fuzzy

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Welsh Halfwit

Re: 2014/09/15 - . . . Fuzzy

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Argent wrote:
CityRedFox wrote:Besides, I always can't understand why make them amnesia. If they don't have any self-awareness, how can it be a punish for them?
Yeh, that bit seems creepy. Think of what it's like for the mortal they spend their life as, they show up at the pearly gates and Cerberus is all "Oh, sorry, you don't get your just rewards, you get absorbed back into this demigod instead".
Or they die and wake up in a version of a Cylon resurrection booth surrounded by other godlings.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

I just noticed that this will be my first time transitioning into a new arc since I began to read Housepets. The last page I read before having to wait was the one where they were on the plane. :D I hope the new arc is a good one. (Of course it will be, it is Housepets!)

It is also a bit ironic that the first line of the song I am listening to in class says "Wake Up" in it. I love ignoring school work to be on here when the teachers aren't looking :D
WireWolf

Post by WireWolf »

Argent wrote:
CityRedFox wrote:Besides, I always can't understand why make them amnesia. If they don't have any self-awareness, how can it be a punish for them?
Yeh, that bit seems creepy. Think of what it's like for the mortal they spend their life as, they show up at the pearly gates and Cerberus is all "Oh, sorry, you don't get your just rewards, you get absorbed back into this demigod instead".
I routinely play a game called Eclipse Phase.
Eclipse Phase is a Transhumanist Post-Apocalyptic Setting with Cosmic Horror sprinkled in.

To understand this setting you have to understand the conceit of Transhumanity finally figuring out a way of digitizing the brain (The mind is thus termed the 'Ego' while the body a seperate thing is called a Morph). Thus not only being able to transfer it to different bodies, but also running it on a computer or a 'Hyper-Real Simulspace'. Though the greatest and scariest use is 'Forking', which is basically copy/pasting your brain. Creating a new you.
This new you is everything you are. But at the moment of it's creation is a separate you and slowly over the course of hours, days or even weeks experience different events then you do and develop it's own unique identity. Eventually developing a unique identity or even world view.

Now. At any time the 'Primary Ego' can choose to 'Merge' back with the Forked Copy. Absorbing it and reintegrating.
Though this opens up a whole HOST of ethical, moral and philosophical problems regarding everything from whether or not you committed murder to are you the same person as you were a minute ago, how do you establish a unique identity when you had a completely perfect but separate 'you' running around doing things?

I bring this up, because this situation screams it. It might not be quite as extreme as forking.
But it's similar enough. Kitsune is about to lodge a MASSIVE awareness block (Also an E.P. thing.) into the Ego's of Dragon and Pete. Allow those personalities to develop on their own for decades, personalities that have no basis or only a limited basis regarding Dragon and Pete's personalities and with their own unique experiences, memories, beliefs and values that are in no way influenced by Pete and Dragon's personalities, memories or experiences (We react to stimuli and new events based on our own preexisting memories and experiences after all.) which in turn can allow for completely divergent lessons, beliefs and values that Pete and Dragon would never have experienced or thought to consider. Ultimately this sort of thing allows for the creation of an Ego that is utterly unique and in no way connected to Pete or Dragon in any way shape or form.

After living rich and full lives they'll die and simply be reintegrated into the 'Primary Ego' once it reemerges. This is why I'm holding out onto the hope that Kitsune merely meant they won't remember the terms of the Contract. Otherwise this'll open up a pretty hefty helping of, philosophical worms. (In Eclipse Phase they struggle to handle issues like this. So they've established a 0.1% rule. If the Forked Ego develops a 'Ego Map' that is 0.1% different then it is not considered the same person as the originating ego, reactions to this vary from granting them personhood, to deleting to forced reintegration or even arrested for 'stealing' resources.)

Sorry for nerding this post up by the way. ^.^;
I just wanted to explain properly why I view the possibility of Pete and Dragon's mind-wiping to be problematic in the extreme and worrying to me on a personal basis.
Last edited by WireWolf on Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
What are they then but Brutes? ‘Tis vice alone that constitutes. Th’enchanting wand and magic bowl,
The exterior form of Man they wear,But are in fact both Wolf and Bear,
The transformation’s in the Soul.
WireWolf

Post by WireWolf »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:
Argent wrote:
Or they die and wake up in a version of a Cylon resurrection booth surrounded by other godlings.
Yeah because that totally went off without any hitches or problems in the show. >.>
Why. Just look at how well Boomer took it.
Which is to say how well and fragged up she came out of the whole experience.
What are they then but Brutes? ‘Tis vice alone that constitutes. Th’enchanting wand and magic bowl,
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

Face it, we all knew this is what King would choose. We all did, even if we didn't say it.
ratdeathtrap

Post by ratdeathtrap »

This was the best, and the only correct, way of finishing this arc. Up to the next one!
I'll fill this in later. Probably with pictures of cats. This is the internet after all.
celtcath74

Post by celtcath74 »

And Karishad assures that they will be there for a while.
Argent

Post by Argent »

WireWolf wrote:
Argent wrote:
I routinely play a game called Eclipse Phase.
Eclipse Phase is a Transhumanist Post-Apocalyptic Setting with Cosmic Horror sprinkled in.

To understand this setting you have to understand the conceit of Transhumanity finally figuring out a way of digitizing the brain (The mind is thus termed the 'Ego' while the body a seperate thing is called a Morph). Thus not only being able to transfer it to different bodies, but also running it on a computer or a 'Hyper-Real Simulspace'. Though the greatest and scariest use is 'Forking', which is basically copy/pasting your brain. Creating a new you.
This new you is everything you are. But at the moment of it's creation is a separate you and slowly over the course of hours, days or even weeks experience different events then you do and develop it's own unique identity. Eventually developing a unique identity or even world view.
See also, the later "Heechee" novels by Pohl (with one unfortunate virtual clone of an anti-AI military officer who spends his time in VR getting virtually drunk because he knows his original will never let him rejoin his conscience but will shut him down instead), about 80% of Greg Egan's early stuff (including poor-trash Copies of people in Permutation City who form a group called Solipsist Nation to deal with the existential issues of being an AI), Linda Nagata's "Deception Well" and "Vast" (one very old uploaded person has his memories reset in a 30 second loop to avoid getting bored over a centuries long intersteller voyage), Charlie Stross's "Accelerando" (online for free download at http://www.accelerando.org/ ) and "Glasshouse", Morgan's "Takeshi Kovacs" novels, etc etc etc...

I could geek out about this stuff for hours if you let me.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
WireWolf

Post by WireWolf »

Argent wrote:See also, the later "Heechee" novels by Pohl (with one unfortunate virtual clone of an anti-AI military officer who spends his time in VR getting virtually drunk because he knows his original will never let him rejoin his conscience but will shut him down instead), about 80% of Greg Egan's early stuff (including poor-trash Copies of people in Permutation City who form a group called Solipsist Nation to deal with the existential issues of being an AI), Linda Nagata's "Deception Well" and "Vast" (one very old uploaded person has his memories reset in a 30 second loop to avoid getting bored over a centuries long intersteller voyage), Charlie Stross's "Accelerando" (online for free download at http://www.accelerando.org/ ) and "Glasshouse", Morgan's "Takeshi Kovacs" novels, etc etc etc...

I could geek out about this stuff for hours if you let me.
I've read Accelerando and Glasshouse and the Takeshi Kovac's series helped partially inspire Eclipse Phase.

It's a neat setting to read about even if your not into RPG's. Posthuman Studio's are big into 'Information Wants to be Free!' so ALL of their books are under the creative commons license. Which means they made it legal to share, distribute, use the material from their books in other stuff and so on.

And for that one person stuck on an Intersteller Journey E.P. has time dilated Hyper Real Simulspaces running x60 times slower then normal. (So for every 1 minute it's been in Real Time it's only a 1 second in simulated time for the occupant. This sort of thing can add up.)
deepskycyan

Post by deepskycyan »

The game's over, the game's done,
Pete and dragon have had their run,
he chose Corgi, Joel is gone,
Bailey's no longer someone's pawn,
from this war, we'll publish annals,
Rick makes good use of white panels,
they're still in Aussie; King's surprised,
but they'll be home before sunrise,
that's 'cause "wake ups" are overdone,
now back to some slice-of-life fun!

This truly is a great ending to a great arc.
Here's to housepetscomic,
and here's to Rick! :D
Also, notice me, Halfwit-senpai :3
"Reality continues to ruin my life." -B. Watterson
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

deepskycyan wrote:The game's over, the game's done,
Pete and dragon have had their run,
he chose Corgi, Joel is gone,
Bailey's no longer someone's pawn,
from this war, we'll publish annals,
Rick makes good use of white panels,
they're still in Aussie; King's surprised,
but they'll be home before sunrise,
that's 'cause "wake ups" are overdone,
now back to some slice-of-life fun!

This truly is a great ending to a great arc.
Here's to housepetscomic,
and here's to Rick! :D
Also, notice me, Halfwit-senpai :3
I love the poem. Truly beutiful. Time to get back to some other characters. Wonder what the next arc will be. I can't believe this is my first time waiting for a new arc. I have only l=read Housepets for a month now, and I can't imagine a time without it.

Thank you Rick for a great comic. :D
gamepopper

Post by gamepopper »

Kitch wrote:Interesting idea: Tarot IS Dragon.

Time is objective in Heaven, so it's possible Dragon and Pete might not be incarnated in the present timeframe. That opens up the possibility that Dragon could've been incarnated as Tarot, which would explain Tarot's latent powers.
Didn't the GALIFRAX PROTOCOL definitively debunk this theory?
Leomon2004

Post by Leomon2004 »

valerio wrote:And NO, Lord Bahamut: With due respect, Sir, unleashing Kitsune on the mortal plane wouldn't do the mortal plane much good.
That reminds me of the one episode of MLP where Pinkie Pie creates like 100 copies of herself. Kitsune and Karishad in the same place for too long sounds like a bad idea.
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

gamepopper wrote:

Time is objective in Heaven, so it's possible Dragon and Pete might not be incarnated in the present timeframe. That opens up the possibility that Dragon could've been incarnated as Tarot, which would explain Tarot's latent powers.
Didn't the GALIFRAX PROTOCOL definitively debunk this theory?

Thing is, that debunked that they were the same person at that time. If Tarot is dragon living her life as a mortal, then she would not have been dragon in the sence that they were at the same time. It never mentioned reincarnations.
Leomon2004 wrote:
valerio wrote:And NO, Lord Bahamut: With due respect, Sir, unleashing Kitsune on the mortal plane wouldn't do the mortal plane much good.
That reminds me of the one episode of MLP where Pinkie Pie creates like 100 copies of herself. Kitsune and Karishad in the same place for too long sounds like a bad idea.
Hard to believe I was a brony at one point, I hate that show now. But that does sound like it could be bad. I would LOVE to see it though
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

And with that, the "Heaven's Not Enough" arc and the cosmic nerds plot line comes to a close. You did a great job Rick. :D

Also, love Karishad in the last panel. :lol:
ValerioFan

Post by ValerioFan »

I cant wait for the next part, King is my favorite character, I hope Rick makes King and Bailey have puppies. - "Corgsky" -Valerio (Housepets The Series). That might even top off this comic strip in my book! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Housepets The Series - here - http://www.housepetscomic.com/forums/vi ... f=13&t=563
Discostew

Post by Discostew »

And Joel/King is actually Pete, sent back in time to be born as a human. :P
Argent

Post by Argent »

Discostew wrote:

<anakin>NOOOOOOOOOOOOO</anakin>
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

ValerioFan wrote:I cant wait for the next part, King is my favorite character, I hope Rick makes King and Bailey have puppies. - "Corgsky" -Valerio (Housepets The Series). That might even top off this comic strip in my book! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Housepets The Series - here - http://www.housepetscomic.com/forums/vi ... f=13&t=563
I see you are a fan of Housepets the Series. I am too, but not enough to name myself after the author :D

But I do like the series enough to be reading it right now in school instead of school work, and to advertise it in my signature.
Argent wrote:
Discostew wrote:

<anakin>NOOOOOOOOOOOOO</anakin>

YES! :P FORCED TO TORTURE HIMSELF WITHOUT KNOWING IT! THEN MAKING HIMSELF LOSE THE GAME!

CRAP! I JUST LOST THE GAME!
Argent

Post by Argent »

dtlux1 wrote:I JUST LOST THE GAME!
Dude, you know everyone has been avoiding going there for the past week.

http://xkcd.com/391/

Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Expected end, obvious choice. ;) Really nice happy end for our couple, let it live long! :D Yeah, the fuzzy choice is better, a great life lesson to Joel cancelling his old bad past. :) Now King seems to don't remember what happened in the latest 10 minutes, at least. Yeah, you're still in Australia, but it's now over, don't think anymore about it... Well, not only the "wake up" bit is overplayed, but this time isn't neither necessary: they'll come back at home by their own (and Kind and Bailey can cuddle each other for all the time). :D
Supposing that they're not already paid with Keene's credit card, who's going to pay those milkshakes? You may use the "wake up" bit to avoid that... :P
That's what Karishad was doing, he was outside the local (under the rain too?) repairing the blue car... Did the engine broke because of the other Daryl, who before was laying on the hood? :lol: Just kidding, can't be so. :P That hail between Karishad and Great Kitsune doesn't seem casual, they look accomplices. ;)

Thanks for this great story, Rick. Now Rock is gonna make a success movie from it. :P
ChekeBello

Post by ChekeBello »

Pete and Dragon doesn't need to reborn, does they?
I mean, Pete said the loser will be "locked in mortal body for a full lifetime"

It's not stated they have to live a new life, they had to spend a full lifetime(60+ years) in a mortal body. They can just be trapped in the bodies they used last as far as we know, just without powers.
Leomon2004

Post by Leomon2004 »

Cesco wrote:Thanks for this great story, Rick. Now Rock is gonna make a success movie from it. :P
Unless the footage got erased as a result of The Game ending.
ChekeBello wrote:It's not stated they have to live a new life, they had to spend a full lifetime(60+ years) in a mortal body.
Yeah, but "Full Lifetime" implies being born as well. I could be (and probably am) wrong though.
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

I just realized something.

Did Fox ever actually forgive Joel? I mean, we saw them together, and Fox accepted the invite to Heaven from the human. But I didn't see an actual explicit forgiveness.
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

Kitch wrote:I just realized something.

Did Fox ever actually forgive Joel? I mean, we saw them together, and Fox accepted the invite to Heaven from the human. But I didn't see an actual explicit forgiveness.
I've been wondering this myself. I hope Rick covers this in an epilogue.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Argent

Post by Argent »

I think he did:

valerio

Post by valerio »

definitely so!
He wouldn't have stuck out with Joel after that, if it wasn't out of true friendship. Everything that happened after this strip proved the strength of their bond. :D
InDaZone1219

Post by InDaZone1219 »

BFF,EARTF (Best Friends Forever, Even After one Reveals his True Form). :lol:
A steady, but luminous glow of power in the dark
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

I guess. Still, I'd like to see a "So, no hard feelings between us?" scene where Fox pulls out the old squeaky bone. ;)
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
InDaZone1219

Post by InDaZone1219 »

Douglas Collier wrote:I guess. Still, I'd like to see a "So, no hard feelings between us?" scene where Fox pulls out the old squeaky bone. ;)
After all these years? Does he still have the squeaky bone?
Shadowstar23

Post by Shadowstar23 »

How much do you guys wanna bet that they're going to stuck in Australia for a while. ;)
There is always a mystical adventure awaiting you. You just have to find it and take the first step into epicness.
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

Argent wrote:
dtlux1 wrote:I JUST LOST THE GAME!
Dude, you know everyone has been avoiding going there for the past week.
Then I guess it is a good thing I went there, someone had to say it eventually. :P

If I didn't find out about it, I would have lost it anyways. I don't know how, but yes. What am I even typing there?
Leomon2004

Post by Leomon2004 »

Shadowstar23 wrote:How much do you guys wanna bet that they're going to stuck in Australia for a while. ;)
Depends on how badly Karishad broke that car. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Also, it kind of sucks for Cerberus' middle head that her two side heads get to hold their milkshake. :( :( :(
Acritic2

Post by Acritic2 »

Kitch wrote:Seeing Fox happy as well is the best part. :3
Acritic2 wrote:I'm guessing we'll see them again; I doubt Rick would toss them all away like that. But we'll be seeing Dragon and Pete as mortals now. Hmm... I wonder what they'll be?
I still have a weird feeling they're going to be incarnated as King and Bailey's stubby-legged husky puppies. :twisted:
as funny and a "Are you kidding me" moment as that would be I think they started as soon as this arc ended. After all they aren't mentioned or anything.
YourRoyalCorginess

Post by YourRoyalCorginess »

I hope we get to see Great Kitsune some more later on.
herobrineharry

Post by herobrineharry »

Did anyone think this WOULDN'T happen?
Forward, the Light Brigade!'
Was there a man dismay'd?
Not tho'(though) the soldiers knew
  Some one had blunder'd:
Theirs not to make reply,
Theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do and die:
Into the valley of Death
  Rode the six hundred.
InDaZone1219

Post by InDaZone1219 »

We need more Fox.
D3ath_0ps

Post by D3ath_0ps »

I second that.
InDaZone1219

Post by InDaZone1219 »

I see some good facial expressions emerging in this one.
jrh150482

Post by jrh150482 »

WhoElseButQuagmire wrote: Good news: King gets to be happy
Bad news: Kari has maxed out Keene's credit card.
Round trip ticket to Australia: $3000
Rental car for trip across the Outback: $1000
Ice cream party for ten (at least): $500
Helping a friend stay a dog so he can keep his happy life: Priceless

There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there's MasterCard.

Also,

LONG LIVE KINGLEY!!!!!
*in Christopher Walken style*

I have a fever... and the only prescription... is more Kingley!