2014/10/31 - Pop (Rocks) Culture

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Thalateya

Re: 2014/10/31 - Pop (Rocks) Culture

Post by Thalateya »

Oh golly, for a few moments I thought Itsuki was dressed as tom nook from AC. 'Couse it's just his normal clothes.
lemurvid

Post by lemurvid »

I only get this because I took my son to London ComicCon last weekend and those Uniforms were everywhere. So I asked my son what they were and he went "Duh! Attack on Titan!" in the manner of teenagers everywhere. Seriously, the single most popular cosplay was those uniforms, and they looked pretty professional, as though you could hire them from somewhere.
Not so good for Halloween, though, I reckon.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

It may just be that he's in a bad mood but is anyone else beginning to think Lester as a thoroughly unpleasant guy? He seems to like hitting his friends and arguing with everyone.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

It's nice to see Itsuki again.

Also, Happy Halloween everyone!
valerio

Post by valerio »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:It may just be that he's in a bad mood but is anyone else beginning to think Lester as a thoroughly unpleasant guy? He seems to like hitting his friends and arguing with everyone.
For some reason, he reminds me of Sheldon Cooper, and seeing those traits applied to a dog makes Lester adorable in my eyes.
metaecho

Post by metaecho »

Wolfbane wrote:
deepskycyan wrote:
metaecho wrote:what does the symbol on his T.V. say?
I'm no expert on the Japanese language, but I'm guessing '侍' means something along the lines of 'warrior'.
However, I do know that in Chinese, the same character translates to 'to wait on', 'to attend to' or 'to serve'.
Just your fact of the day guys ;)
... Itsuki's TV has godlike t-shirt powers!

I kinda want to see him playing Animal Crossing so I can see his reaction to Tom Nook. Dunno why...
Thanks cyan, I'd never figure it out for myself so your fact of the day is much appreciated! xD

And if Itsuki played AC he'd probably pay off Nook in the first hour! He's just a commited guy.
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Nice to see and meet Itsuki! :D Has been so long and looks like he put on some weights in the meanwhile. :P Too much ramen, maybe. :D Probably Itsuki isn't fan of manga and anime: pity for you two, the last chance failed. :P Maybe he doesn't celebrate Halloween, but anyway, he was ready with the chili and lime ramen (is it good?).
If Peanut will knock you, give him candies, instead. If will be Tiger, don't give him nothing, again, and because he already ate candies and waxes. ;)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

And he would have to keep on paying him off since Tom Nook tends to continue to charge you for all sorts of upgrades to your house!
WhoElseButQuagmire

Post by WhoElseButQuagmire »

valerio wrote:
Welsh Halfwit wrote:It may just be that he's in a bad mood but is anyone else beginning to think Lester as a thoroughly unpleasant guy? He seems to like hitting his friends and arguing with everyone.
For some reason, he reminds me of Sheldon Cooper, and seeing those traits applied to a dog makes Lester adorable in my eyes.
Did he knock three times on Itsuki's door?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

And did he call out "Itsuki" three times?
Mistacheeeez
Location: Scouring the vast wastelands of the internet for any memes not yet devoured by the masses!

Post by Mistacheeeez »

Bucky-Roo wrote:I would prefer ramen rather than candy actually...
Mmm ramen.
Or how about ramen candy? Hmm... ramandy? Or how about randy! :lol:
... reminds me of a certain music video... :roll:

Oh yeah and Happy Halloween! (I couldn't match dtlux so I didn't even try)
I thought about changing my signature but decided against it, it's too much work!
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Mistacheeeez wrote:
Mmm ramen.

"I'd rather eat Randy! I'd rather eat Ran-dy! I'd rather eat Randy-Randy-Rand(y)! I'd rather eat Randy!" :D

D'you think Itsuki would recognize Kamen Rider?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Aren't they like the "Power Rangers" of Japan?
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

Mistacheeeez wrote:
Mmm ramen.

I want some randy now. I didn't get any while Trick or Treating. I guess no one in my friend's neighborhood is willing to give it out. I have to go to bed now though so I can be ready for Haunted Houses and roller coasters later, so I bid a bye until later. :D You could have easily matched me if you tried, but thanks for mentioning me. I don't blame you for not trying, it is me you're against. No one can be as enthusiastic (and weird) as me about anything!
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Aren't they like the "Power Rangers" of Japan?
Oh no you di'nt. :P

Power Rangers ARE Japanese actually.

Though the Yaeger uniforms do remind me of Daigo "King" from Kyouryuger admittingly.
dryideabat

Post by dryideabat »

Well, it couldn't be worse than that "shrimp-flavored" ramen candy. Welcome back Itsuki.
SuperStar wrote:

Though the Yaeger uniforms do remind me of Daigo "King" from Kyouryuger admittingly.
I think many of us grew up watching "Mighty Morphin Power Rangers" on Fox Kids (I miss the 90's), perhaps not fully aware of its true origin.

Miles the Wolf wrote:
SuperStar wrote:
Miles the Wolf wrote:Well now I'm going to have to watch some "Attack on Titan" episodes because I have no idea what's what and who's who.
I'm tellin' ya.
Ok, well... I'm gonna go cry in a closet until I can erase that image from my head

OH NO! IT'S MY 3RD-GRADE TEACHER! HOW DID SHE GET ON THIS SHOW?! RUN!!
WhoElseButQuagmire

Post by WhoElseButQuagmire »

I know it's his bandana, but the picture of Fox serving as Mistacheeeeze's avitar always looks like a beak at first glance. He'd make a pretty good Pete, although I'm not sure he'd be up for dying his fur blue, plus only six or seven people would know who his costume is.
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

dryideabat wrote:Well, it couldn't be worse than that "shrimp-flavored" ramen candy. Welcome back Itsuki.
SuperStar wrote:

I think many of us grew up watching "Mighty Morphin Power Rangers" on Fox Kids (I miss the 90's), perhaps not fully aware of its true origin.

I was a little too late to remember the 90s, but I still love them. I Was 8 years and 9 months too late for them. But a year and 3 months must mean something, right?

Catdog, Doug, Angry Beavers, Hey Arnold, Rocko's Modern Life, and I barley remember Inside Out Boy, some of this must matter?

Wow, all of those are from Nick, they must have been awesome in the 90s, wish I could remember more of it. Never did watch Power Rangers much though. I do also remember some stuff from Disney also.

Maybe Lester and Dallas should have dressed up as Catdog, Lester could be cat, and Dallas could be dog. Though, they don't like American shows, so they'd never do it.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

They could be accused of not being loyal to their own country if they refuse to like anything that isn't Japanese.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

It's never been said that Joey's Creepy Friends (falsely known as "Dallas') is obsessed with Japanese culure.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Dissension wrote:It's never been said that Joey's Creepy Friends (falsely known as "Dallas') is obsessed with Japanese culure.
But.... He's Dallas in the tags! And he's not that creepy now. Certainly not like Lester.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Mistacheeeez
Location: Scouring the vast wastelands of the internet for any memes not yet devoured by the masses!

Post by Mistacheeeez »

WhoElseButQuagmire wrote:I know it's his bandana, but the picture of Fox serving as Mistacheeeeze's avitar always looks like a beak at first glance. He'd make a pretty good Pete, although I'm not sure he'd be up for dying his fur blue, plus only six or seven people would know who his costume is.
It's funny how many people thought he was a bird when I showed them...
I thought about changing my signature but decided against it, it's too much work!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Well they certainly seemed like they were but maybe I'm just overthinking it. Anyway, Lester (brown dog) seems to have a very high opinion of himself, even saying that some of his anime translations were better than the official ones.

Speaking of the character page, when if ever is the page gonna be updated?
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

Mistacheeeez wrote:
WhoElseButQuagmire wrote:I know it's his bandana, but the picture of Fox serving as Mistacheeeeze's avitar always looks like a beak at first glance. He'd make a pretty good Pete, although I'm not sure he'd be up for dying his fur blue, plus only six or seven people would know who his costume is.
Wow, I have known fox is a dog for 2 1/2 months now (has it really only been that long?), and I can not unsee that picture as a bird. Thanks, now I will always think of fox as a bird...
How can I get weird? I really have no idea right now...

I KNOW WHAT TO DO ABOUT THAT PICTURE! IT MAKES ME SHIP PETE WITH FOX! BECAUSE ALL THE SHIPPING! ALL THE CHARACTERS NEED TO GET MARRIED AND HAVE BABIES!
I think I did good for not knowing what I was going to say, I even provided a link. Took me a while to find it too...
Sam-the-cat

Post by Sam-the-cat »

Okay, I don't get the joke. Let me just admit it. :(

So, the two friends of Joey are dressed in 'Attack on Titan' costumes. I haven't seen that anime, so I missed the reference. Would the joke then be that it's Halloween, but these guys prefer to dress up as anime characters?

Then the title: Pop (Rocks) Culture. Is that a reference to Pop Rocks, the popping candy? What is the connection to Attack on Titan?

I wonder if someone from a general audience would understand this gag, or if it's an insider joke mostly. I also wonder how I am going to translate this ... I guess it needs an explanation box. :?

Sorry, don't want to sound sour, but I can't quite wrap my head around it.
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

Sam-the-cat wrote:Okay, I don't get the joke. Let me just admit it. :(

So, the two friends of Joey are dressed in 'Attack on Titan' costumes. I haven't seen that anime, so I missed the reference. Would the joke then be that it's Halloween, but these guys prefer to dress up as anime characters?

Then the title: Pop (Rocks) Culture. Is that a reference to Pop Rocks, the popping candy? What is the connection to Attack on Titan?

I wonder if someone from a general audience would understand this gag, or if it's an insider joke mostly. I also wonder how I am going to translate this ... I guess it needs an explanation box. :?

I have never watched Attack on Titan ever, so I didn't get the joke either. I guess this is one that not many people will get.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I don't think it matters if people get the joke or not, just as long as people enjoy the comic.
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I don't think it matters if people get the joke or not, just as long as people enjoy the comic.
I 100% agree there. :D
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

I don't watch "Attack on Titan" either, so here's the gist from my first read through:
Lester and Dallas are dressed as characters from a somewhat obscure anime to trick or treat at Itsuki's apartment. Since Itsuki is Japanese, Lester assumes he will instantly recognize the costumes because obviously all Japanese will have watched this anime. But, of course, just like not every American knows every American show, not every Japanese knows every Japanese show (especially given that, in Japan, anime are not really considered for adults), so Itsuki is not familiar with their costumes. Dallas gives an "I told you so", and Lester punches him because... violence :D

"Pop (Rocks) Culture". Given the parentheses, this title is supposed to be understood in two ways: with and without the word in parentheses. Thus "Pop Culture" and "Pop Rocks Culture". "Pop Culture" is short for "Popular Culture" which is whatever is popular "now", referring to the anime that Lester and Dallas are dressed as. Pop Rocks are a type of candy, which goes with the Halloween theme.

So it's partly an inside joke, in that you get the joke a bit more if you recognize the characters. But, as you can see from my explanation, you don't need to know anything more than that they are characters from some obscure anime in order to get the meat of the joke.

Hope that helps :D
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

Obbl wrote:

I don't watch "Attack on Titan" either, so here's the gist from my first read through:
Lester and Dallas are dressed as characters from a somewhat obscure anime to trick or treat at Itsuki's apartment. Since Itsuki is Japanese, Lester assumes he will instantly recognize the costumes because obviously all Japanese will have watched this anime. But, of course, just like not every American knows every American show, not every Japanese knows every Japanese show (especially given that, in Japan, anime are not really considered for adults), so Itsuki is not familiar with their costumes. Dallas gives an "I told you so", and Lester punches him because... violence :D

"Pop (Rocks) Culture". Given the parentheses, this title is supposed to be understood in two ways: with and without the word in parentheses. Thus "Pop Culture" and "Pop Rocks Culture". "Pop Culture" is short for "Popular Culture" which is whatever is popular "now", referring to the anime that Lester and Dallas are dressed as. Pop Rocks are a type of candy, which goes with the Halloween theme.

So it's partly an inside joke, in that you get the joke a bit more if you recognize the characters. But, as you can see from my explanation, you don't need to know anything more than that they are characters from some obscure anime in order to get the meat of the joke.

Hope that helps :D
How did I not even notice that Itsuki was Japanese, and they were dressed up as an anime. This clears up 100% of my confusion. :D
Mistacheeeez

Post by Mistacheeeez »

dtlux1 wrote:
Mistacheeeez wrote:
Wow, I have known fox is a dog for 2 1/2 months now (has it really only been that long?), and I can not unsee that picture as a bird. Thanks, now I will always think of fox as a bird...

I KNOW WHAT TO DO ABOUT THAT PICTURE! IT MAKES ME SHIP PETE WITH FOX! BECAUSE ALL THE SHIPPING! ALL THE CHARACTERS NEED TO GET MARRIED AND HAVE BABIES!
I think I did good for not knowing what I was going to say, I even provided a link. Took me a while to find it too...
So, would that ship be named Fete or Pox? :?:
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

Mistacheeeez wrote:
dtlux1 wrote:

Pox is an illness, but Fete is feet...

That is a hard choice. Dogs have paws, not feet, but I am sure they don't want to get Pox of any kind...

I'll go with Fete, easily remembered, because neither Fox, nor Pete have any feet.
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

dtlux1 wrote:
Mistacheeeez wrote:
dtlux1 wrote:

That is a hard choice. Dogs have paws, not feet, but I am sure they don't want to get Pox of any kind...

I'll go with Fete, easily remembered, because neither Fox, nor Pete have any feet.
What have I done?? :roll:
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

Douglas Collier wrote:
dtlux1 wrote:
Mistacheeeez wrote: So, would that ship be named Fete or Pox? :?:

What have I done?? :roll:
You have given me the green flag to talk about shipping in this topic. Thank you! 8-)
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

dtlux1 wrote:You have given me the green flag to talk about shipping in this topic. Thank you! 8-)
Actually you can't, cause it's Off-Topic. MWAHAHAHAA

Oh yeah, did you know that Itsuki means like "Grove of Trees" or something like that?
Mistacheeeez

Post by Mistacheeeez »

dtlux1 wrote:
everyoneknowsIsaidthis wrote:

Maybe we could combine the two into "Foot pox"!

Oh wait! Back on topic: uh... Dallas... or something...
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Well Doug, it looks like you unlocked the cell that we kept all the crazy people in. :lol:
Sam-the-cat

Post by Sam-the-cat »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I don't think it matters if people get the joke or not, just as long as people enjoy the comic.
Sure, I agree. I enjoy a lot about the comic: the characters, how they are drawn, how they interact, the story line, the basic idea about anthropomorphic sentient pets, etc. Nothing lost there. And of course, it's my own choice to get into translating. But now I'm aware that when you translate, you start to look at the comic through a looking glass. I just got frustrated that a few episodes ago there was the 'Nerds' reference that was new to me, and now again something that I would have missed if there were no fans to ask for explaining the joke. Missing out on a joke makes you feel kinda stupid. I hope I didn't sound too critical.
Obbl wrote:Lester and Dallas are dressed as characters from a somewhat obscure anime to trick or treat at Itsuki's apartment. Since Itsuki is Japanese, Lester assumes he will instantly recognize the costumes because obviously all Japanese will have watched this anime.
Thanks for your explanation!

There is a strange recursion in this joke. Itsuki does not recognize the costumes, and so does a part of the readers. :? So the joke is directed at readers who recognize the costumes as originating from an anime - which they may or may not have seen.

You know, when I first saw this episode, I thought there was something gay about their outfit. More confusion there. But perhaps some animes are gay anyway :mrgreen: I mean 'gay' in a Cartmanish way to say, no disrespect to gay people. ;)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Cartman thinks that everything is gay so it does work out well.
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

As this is rapidly moving into a region which would have me ending up coming down on folks like a bag of bricks, I must request that you move away from that region right -now-