2015/02/13 - The Name Game

Post by Obbl »

[ The Name Game ]

Title Text: Well it made ME taller, but I won't get into that

It's because you're short, Bino :P
Gbr23

Re: 2015/02/13 - The Name Game

Post by Gbr23 »

I have been calling you Beano since I started reading HP, Im not going to change now
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

"I guess they take the G out of Bingo once they grow out from being a pup."

I always pictured Bino having a pup named Bingo. Just because of that one letter. X3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Daryl, stop having fun at Bayno's expense(!)

Daryl the handsome meets Bino the runt
and prepares to tell of what he'll confront
as he takes on a test meant for the pups
with nothing to lift for a win. No trophies, no cups.
Bino still tries his usual nonsense here,
verbal bluster with stupid beating fear.
Daryl mocks him quite without worry;
if Bino tries anything he'll leave in a hurry.
They're welcoming a little, green eyed, monster
without knowing they could be about to sponsor
the takeover of a major local group club
if Bino survives. Aye, there's the rub...
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
max7345
Location: Yuma, AZ (Also known as drought-city and oven-town during the Summer)

Post by max7345 »

xD I've been mispronouncing it this whole time. Ugh, it's going to take forever to start getting it right.
IdleCurator

Post by IdleCurator »

So that's the true way to say it. We were debating this on a previous forum for ages. Though knowing it doesn't mean I will start pronouncing correctly. Beano FOREVER!!!!!!
Technically he will still be a dog once initiated. How did he even convince them to initiate him. He's a complete stranger to most if not all of them.
Hi Hi Pie
Mickey the Luxray
Location: Why-Cant-We-Be-Given-Some-Consarned-Snow-Ville, USA

Post by Mickey the Luxray »

Oh no, I clicked the link, then remembered that Saturn381 told me how to pronounce Bino's name! I think!

Whatever shall I do now?
If you want my number, it's #804080.
ArcFlight

Post by ArcFlight »

"B-I-N-G—" "NO!"
"B-I-N-G—" "NO!"
"B-I-N-G—" "NO!"
"And Bingo was his name-o." "BYE-NO!"

I assumed that his name, Bino, was a play on the fact that Fido and Joey have eye patches but Bino has none... You know... Binoculars... Ha ha, no patches... Just me? Please, someone make me think I'm not that crazy...
Image Image
ɑːk flʌɪt - Posts more nauseating than the Vomit Comet
pokeblue

Post by pokeblue »

That's how you pronounce it? Wow, I'm gonna have a bit of a difficult to pronouncing it right considering I've been pronouncing it "Bean-o" since I started reading at 5 years ago. :lol:
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

I like that, even after Rick and I posted the correct pronunciation for years, and I made a video about it, most of the comments are "I didn't think Bino was pronounced that way."

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Be-no. Bean-o. By-no. That's all the ways I've said his name, never knowing which was correct. Now I know! And knowing's half the battle!

B! I! (N) O!
My characters!
I got too many colors to remember. I'll put them here to see. Aren't they nice? Yep! Absolutely!
ImageImageImageImage (There's actually 6 eggs, but I ran out of links)
RockstarRaccoon
Worst Mod EVER!

Post by RockstarRaccoon »

Dissension wrote:I like that, even after Rick and I posted the correct pronunciation for years, and I made a video about it, most of the comments are "I didn't think Bino was pronounced that way."
I know, seriously. And the worst part is that no one ever believes me when I tell them that this is how it's pronounced...

Thanks Rick!
Hey guys, I'm one of the RP section mods. Feel free to bug me any time: I'm not strict and I try to be very approachable.
Fanfiction Character: Vallerie Nightengale (female, idiot)
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

I've pronounced it as Bye-no since the beginning. Seriously.
ArcFlight

Post by ArcFlight »

I'm amazed at how many were pronouncing it wrong. :roll: This will make up for nobody agreeing with my binocular logic.

Don'tcha know? Bea-no be no name! :lol:
Image Image
ɑːk flʌɪt - Posts more nauseating than the Vomit Comet
Indagare

Post by Indagare »

I've always kind of assumed his name rhymed with 'Dino'. I know 'i' is occasionally said as a long 'e', but I've usually only seen it do that at the end of a name (like Toni).
Image"Remember kids, only you can prevent a fiery apocalypse!"
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Welp, theres Rick making a joke at our expense :lol: . I will STILL never say it like that :D
SuperStar wrote:I've pronounced it as Bye-no since the beginning. Seriously.
Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuure you have. 8-)
Just kidding, I've seen others who have said it as its pronounced from the beginning, its not to hard to believe. I've always been surprised that I along with many others never thought to pronounce it like that until Rick or Diss told them.
ImageImageImageImage
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

I still call him Beano. I don't care. :v
gamepopper

Post by gamepopper »

YES! I WAS RIGHT THE WHOLE TIME!

I thought it was pronounced Bye-no for ages but felt like in the minority, now this confirms I was correct! :D
Cataloochee

Post by Cataloochee »

Bae-no

also i cant be the only one hoping that Rick names one the upcoming comic strips, "For Fox's Sake", am i?
TheOne
Location: Trapped in the center of the Galaxy. Need a starship to get out!

Post by TheOne »

Indagare wrote:I've always kind of assumed his name rhymed with 'Dino'. I know 'i' is occasionally said as a long 'e', but I've usually only seen it do that at the end of a name (like Toni).
8-)
Seriously though, now I'm going to have to correct my brain every time I see the name Bino...darn it!
Dag nabbed petty annoyances...
Argent

Post by Argent »

I got his pronunciation right, hem hem.

So where DID his name come from, Mister Griffin?
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Probably a family thing. Fy-doh. Bye-no. Joey's name might be pronounced different as well, who knows?
My characters!
I got too many colors to remember. I'll put them here to see. Aren't they nice? Yep! Absolutely!
ImageImageImageImage (There's actually 6 eggs, but I ran out of links)
Argent

Post by Argent »

Perfesser_Bear

Post by Perfesser_Bear »

Maybe it's just me, but I always thought that since he didn't have a ring around one eye (Fido's right eye, Joey's left eye), he was Bino, short (* snerk *) for Binocular.
--Perfesser

Perfesser_Bear
Pundit Wannabe
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

Thanks Daryl! I can't imagine how many of us have wanted to troll Bino about his name. :lol:
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Mickey wrote:Probably a family thing. Fy-doh. Bye-no. Joey's name might be pronounced different as well, who knows?
I've always thought of Joey's name as a punchline. 'Cause it's like Fido and Bino, two names that are built similar, then Joey, a completely different styled name and rather generic.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Mickey wrote:Probably a family thing. Fy-doh. Bye-no. Joey's name might be pronounced different as well, who knows?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyQvjKqXA0Y
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

Gbr23 wrote:I have been calling you Beano since I started reading HP, I'm not going to change now
I always imagined it was pronounced "Beano" this whole time too. Don't think my mind is ever gonna accept this "official" pronunciation either.
Cm4F

Post by Cm4F »

Ok like, I started reading this comic in 2010 when Zander showed it to me and told me it was pronounced 'Bee-No" and I was all, "well you know more about this than I do so you must be correct." That pronunciation has been with me for five years. It's gonna be crazy difficult to try and change, but for the sake of being accurate, I'll give it my best effort.
ImageImage

I fought dyslexia, and I won!
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

WHAT!?!?! :o

Well Bicycle Repair Man...

I think this strip broke my mind as soon as I read Bino saying that in the first panel, I still hear Beano every time I say it in my mind. I have been saying it wrong for the past 6 months...
The Blue Fox wrote:
Gbr23 wrote:I have been calling you Beano since I started reading HP, I'm not going to change now
I always imagined it was pronounced "Beano" this whole time too. Don't think my mind is ever gonna accept this "official" pronunciation either.
I know for a fact that any time I say or see Bino's name, I will never hear "Bye no" in my mind. I think my mind is broken, how did I not know this?

And I didn't click that link, I went the harder way as I was never told how to pronounce Bino's name.
Still hear Beano in my mind when I type...

I can not say how much this has broken my mind...

Now onto something to try and fix my mind...
What if the biggest reason he hates King is because he wants to be taller, and King is shorter than him, so he can easily pick on someone for their size when he wants to be taller in his mind. :lol:

I do believe this will be like how I pronounce Absol, I know how it is pronounced, but because I pronounced it "Ab soul" for so long, I still call it that, probably going to be the same with Bino.
WishIWasHearEarlier

Post by WishIWasHearEarlier »

"BYE-NO! It's not that hard to say!"

That is just a signature banner waiting to happen.
lf you noticed a spelling or grammar error in one of my post, please notify me and l'll fix it as soon as l can.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Forgot to mention yesterday: I love the last two panels of Bino. Third panel pretty much because of the way his teeth are shown after being hit; and he's still talking. Bino is so accustomed already.

Fourth because of that ear fluff. I don't see it in the third panel, but I would expect ears like Bino to be that fluffy after taking a stocking cap off :3

Edit: I know Dino was referenced, but Fred calls him "Dee-no", and that's also possible confusion. If you have trouble pronouncing Bino's name, just remember it like this: Bino's name has the exact same word tone as Dinosaur. Just don't call him a Binosaur. =P
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

GameCobra wrote:I know Dino was referenced, but Fred calls him "Dee-no", and that's also possible confusion. If you have trouble pronouncing Bino's name, just remember it like this: Bino's name has the exact same word tone as Dinosaur. Just don't call him a Binosaur. =P
I don't think it is working, I read Dinosaur right, but then I read it Beanosaur...

If I did want to say it right, I'd have to think really hard every time I said his name for the next month.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

dtlux1 wrote:I don't think it is working, I read Dinosaur right, but then I read it Beanosaur...
Where did the bean come from?!? D:
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

Binosaurus Rex! XD
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
max7345
Location: Yuma, AZ (Also known as drought-city and oven-town during the Summer)

Post by max7345 »

Perfesser_Bear wrote:Maybe it's just me, but I always thought that since he didn't have a ring around one eye (Fido's right eye, Joey's left eye), he was Bino, short (* snerk *) for Binocular.
I honestly don't see how you'd come to that. It'd probably make more sense if Bino happened to have a ring around both eyes, thus giving him the appearance of a victim to a certain binocular prank, but he doesn't.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Number9Dysonsphere wrote:So that's the true way to say it. We were debating this on a previous forum for ages. Though knowing it doesn't mean I will start pronouncing correctly. Beano FOREVER!!!!!!
Technically he will still be a dog once initiated. How did he even convince them to initiate him. He's a complete stranger to most if not all of them.
Dissension wrote:I like that, even after Rick and I posted the correct pronunciation for years, and I made a video about it, most of the comments are "I didn't think Bino was pronounced that way."
I discovered the comic sometime after the second book was released, so a couple of years now. Even before I came into the forums, I pronounced it "Bye-no" for two reasons; "Bea-no" just didn't seem right to me with how it was spelled, and I was aware of a product called "Bean-O."

Imagine my surprise when I finally came to the forums and saw a thread where everyone was debating how to pronounce it.
GameCobra wrote:If you have trouble pronouncing Bino's name, just remember it like this: Bino's name has the exact same word tone as Dinosaur. Just don't call him a Binosaur. =P
Douglas Collier wrote:Binosaurus Rex! XD
And his brothers, Fidosaurus Rex, and Joey!
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I only saw your pronunciation video a couple of months ago. Even STILL, I can't rid my habit of calling him "Bean-o" for some reason.
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

GameCobra wrote:
dtlux1 wrote:I don't think it is working, I read Dinosaur right, but then I read it Beanosaur...
Where did the bean come from?!? D:
I actually have no clue, I called him Beano for some reason after looking at his name. I have no clue where I got it, but it seemed right to me. I know that when I asked some of my other friends how to pronounce it today, they also said beano, I had no clue at all people pronounced it byeno, let alone that it was the correct pronunciation.

Love how Bino just says that it isn't that hard to say, making a joke at everyone that called him that.

Makes me wonder how many other names I have been pronouncing wrong, like Tarot. Didn't even know that was a thing until about 3 months ago.
Amazee Dayzee wrote:I only saw your pronunciation video a couple of months ago. Even STILL, I can't rid my habit of calling him "Bean-o" for some reason.
I probably never will. It just sounds better in my mind after 6 months, and my mind just reads it that way. It is just like Absol, I just can't force myself to correct it because it sounds better to me. the only thing I ever corrected my pronunciation on is Nyan Cat I believe.

Where is this video anyways?
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

I like how Daryl is just going along with what Bino is doing.