2015/04/01 - Fool For A Day

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

2015/04/01 - Fool For A Day

Post by Obbl »

[ Fool For A Day ]

Title Text: Boy that sniffing test, huh? Feel like I've been practicing my whole life for it

Bino makes funny faces :P
SnuggleKing

Re: 2015/04/01 - Fool For A Day

Post by SnuggleKing »

Peanut looks cute with a feather! :3
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

At that point I'd leave town. Poor Bino.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA That face

Come on B-Dog, what is gonna be your next move !?!?
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
max7345
Location: Yuma, AZ (Also known as drought-city and oven-town during the Summer)

Post by max7345 »

...I feel like Bino is actually on the brink of snapping this time. xD Best to take cover just in case.
GreatKitsune

Post by GreatKitsune »

5th comment! :lol:

Peanut looks so blindly ecstatic. :P
Hello, low order beings!

Community Involvement, peepoll!
Someone wise once wrote:I wish I could ride a magical girl's purple flying unicorn to Narnia through Lebouff's Shire, the land of trololol.
MrBlueSky7

Post by MrBlueSky7 »

Unless Bailey is hiding behind that door, I don't think nothing's gonna stop Bino from confronting the Wolves about this. I get this Arc serves as Karma of sorts for him, but... Poor guy. I think the only thing that'll make things worse is if everyone forgot who he was the next day. :cry:

On a light note, clever title, considering what today is. ;)
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

And it's bad luck for Bino
as everyone else passed the test
and he may even be dropped by Duchess
now that he's had a good rest.
Blocked at the gate by the King
and taunted with a golden feather
our 'hero' is reminded of one thing -
being a Wolf is short; being Bino's forever.
But now everyone's a Wolf
he's safe to achieve without incident.
For, if he's the only remaining member,
he becomes 'Good ol' boys' president!
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Mistacheeeez
Location: Scouring the vast wastelands of the internet for any memes not yet devoured by the masses!

Post by Mistacheeeez »

Wow, everyone BUT Bino got in, what a painut! :lol:
The next arc is gonna be all about how Bino lost his mind and the other dogs have to bring back his memory, with a few changes of course ;) !
I thought about changing my signature but decided against it, it's too much work!
WishIWasHearEarlier

Post by WishIWasHearEarlier »

Who else thinks that Peanut should be the next chairdog for the Good Ol' Dogs Club?
lf you noticed a spelling or grammar error in one of my post, please notify me and l'll fix it as soon as l can.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

WishIWasHearEarlier wrote:Who else thinks that Peanut should be the next chairdog for the Good Ol' Dogs Club?
But he's a Wolf now...
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
SnuggleKing

Post by SnuggleKing »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:
WishIWasHearEarlier wrote:Who else thinks that Peanut should be the next chairdog for the Good Ol' Dogs Club?
But he's a Wolf now...
The GoWC?
WishIWasHearEarlier

Post by WishIWasHearEarlier »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:But he's a Wolf now...
Alright then. Chairwolf.
lf you noticed a spelling or grammar error in one of my post, please notify me and l'll fix it as soon as l can.
MrBlueSky7

Post by MrBlueSky7 »

Hey wait a second, something just occurred to me:What exactly did King mean when he said Bino's arrest was "almost" linked back to the Wolf house? Perhaps a certain Ferret intercepted? Or maybe Jack wiped the evidence clean?
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Of course it would be Peanut.

Well, Bino, there goes the chance at prestige. Wonder how Jack ended up after this. Doubt the rest of the pack were happy that he nearly got them in massive trouble.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
GreatKitsune

Post by GreatKitsune »

D-Rock wrote:Of course it would be Peanut.

Well, Bino, there goes the chance at prestige. Wonder how Jack ended up after this.
Or Cory. Maybe his haggles failed?
Hello, low order beings!

Someone wise once wrote:I wish I could ride a magical girl's purple flying unicorn to Narnia through Lebouff's Shire, the land of trololol.
pokeblue

Post by pokeblue »

MrBlueSky7 wrote:Hey wait a second, something just occurred to me:What exactly did King mean when he said Bino's arrest was "almost" linked back to the Wolf house? Perhaps a certain Ferret intercepted? Or maybe Jack wiped the evidence clean?
That or no one could find a definite connection between Bino's actions and the Wolf family.

Somehow I knew Peanut would be able to pass the tests, though I thought was already kinda an honorary wolf because he was so good with the pups. Huh, now that I think about it, where DID the feather Bino got go?
ChekeBello

Post by ChekeBello »

I just can think: Poor Skip D:
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

I don't understand how this arc is meant to contribute to Bino's development, if it is. What lesson was lain out for Bino, that being honest and trying hard will get him nowhere and everyone will betray or otherwise oppose him? I get that Bino's an antagonist and hardly anyone likes him as well as I do. That's totally fine. Bino's been around for decades, far longer than Housepets!, and he's never been particularly nice. As is, this arc seems to validate Bino's paranoid worldview, though. I'm hopeful something nice eventually happens for Bino, but I can't say I expect that hope to be fulfilled.

To the waitatorium!

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
GreatKitsune

Post by GreatKitsune »

Dissension wrote:
To the waitatorium!
Waitatorium, ho! :P
Hello, low order beings!

Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

See, I understand being sympathetic for Bino especially given that things were actually working out for him and then suddenly didn't. And I don't believe he will learn anything from this; but I don't think that's because there's nothing for him to learn. He could learn that ignoring the teaching offered to you out of pride causes greater headaches down the road, or that presenting an overinflated view of your capabilities may sound cool and make you feel good at the time but tends to make people less receptive to your actual achievements. Bino's problems mostly stem from his desire for short term benefits at the expense of long term accomplishments, and you all seem to be well aware of that fact. So it just confuses me when people want to focus solely on the fact that he was telling the truth this time and how everything went wrong for him based on things outside of his control (which isn't even entirely true). On top of that, it's not like he even won the last two tests on his own merit. The universe handed him those and then promptly took them away from him. Even if the wolves had believed him, I don't know if they should have given it to him anyway. Seems counter to the spirit of testing one's abilities.

Now my mindset does stem from a more rigid sense of "what Bino 'deserves'" which causes me to ignore my sympathies for his plight, because it's a comeuppance and a fairly balanced one at that. But I don't even understand this desire for it to all have gone right just so, what? He could go around self-aggrandizing over his accomplishments that were mostly achieved by dumb luck and trying to rub it in peoples' faces. I mean, I suppose you could explore the futility of his actions with either no one actually taking it as a serious feat or losing interest in Bino's status as "wolf" within a short amount of time, but from a storytelling perspective, this has to end in some sort of failure for Bino, otherwise based on his character, it would just end with "Bino is a jerk. The end." For me a story that ends with the jerk winning and remaining a jerk/not learning anything is not a story that leaves me satisfied.

Now let me tell you the story that does make me feel real sympathy for Bino. The ending of "One Cat's Treasure" when the raccoons are leaving, and Truck has been given Bino's Mega Ball from Max. The arc had done nothing to establish Bino's jerkiness beyond the minor annoyance of him bringing up the Mega Ball (apparently) enough times for Max to be sick of it. But it doesn't establish the context for a comeuppance, and I don't feel lead to believe that he deserves such treatment. I instead empathize with his loss from my own experiences and feel no redemptive possibilities are even present from the situation. In that case, I feel that it is fair to ask, "What lesson is there for Bino?"
Juxtaposed with this where Bino had done nothing but set himself up for failure so that even when presented with the win by sheer dumb luck it slips through his fingers. That feels well balanced to me where the loss of his new favorite toy does not. (Also it brings up an interesting difference between the universe delivering the comeuppance versus another character delivering the comeuppance.)

I guess I'm starting to become a broken record with this, but I really, truly can't understand how when presented with a character who literally sets up his own failure, one can feel upset when the failure actually occurs. Especially given that most comments with this perspective tend to try shifting the blame to "the universe" (or Rick) exactly as Bino does. I understand Bino not learning his lesson, but have we learned nothing from Bino? Can any light be shed on this?
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

Uhh, Peanut? Call 9-1-1, I think Bino's having a stroke...

:lol:
Argent

Post by Argent »

Xane wrote:And he did ride a bird of prey (I wonder where the feather went tho'...)!
I thought at first that was where the feather he got from the eagle went, that the wolves were being double-mean and not letting him keep it even if he got it himself.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
King's Men14

Post by King's Men14 »

Wow, even peanut was trying for the wolfs thing. *waves arms crazily* Can I join!!!
Argent

Post by Argent »

Dissension wrote:I don't understand how this arc is meant to contribute to Bino's development, if it is. What lesson was lain out for Bino,
Don't brag, don't lie, don't tell tall tales, just be yourself. Miles said it himself - he'd been crowing about his own awesomeness all the time, and so why should they believe more unbelievable tales?

You want the Aesop *, here's the Aesop **.

* Wow, here's an interesting take on the translation of that fable from Greek to Latin.

** Especially not to real wolves.
gamepopper

Post by gamepopper »

Peanut looks adorable with his feather, he clearly aced the sniffing round since he's sniffed everything, even GODS!

I think Bino is having an aneurysm... poor guy.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Bino's stubborn and looking for an easy way. You meet people like that.

The real question is: Is there anyway for him to break that stubbornness? I doubt it. If he hasn't done it by now, he never will. But that's part of the likable challenge for me. You read the comic and hope something changes him someday, while watching what he gets himself into for being the way he is.

Also: Bino? Your arms don't bend that way. X3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
MrBlueSky7

Post by MrBlueSky7 »

So, how long do Arcs tend to last anyways? I'd really hate to see this one end on such a downer note, and from the looks of it, I'd say we're not too far from that.
gamepopper

Post by gamepopper »

MrBlueSky7 wrote:So, how long do Arcs tend to last anyways? I'd really hate to see this one end on such a downer note, and from the looks of it, I'd say we're not too far from that.
Well this arc is currently 25 strips long, "Heaven's Not Enough Part 3" was 23 strips long so my best guess is that tomorrow will be the conclusion.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Next Panel: Bino is frothing and twitching because Tiger has a feather.
My characters!
I got too many colors to remember. I'll put them here to see. Aren't they nice? Yep! Absolutely!
ImageImageImageImage (There's actually 6 eggs, but I ran out of links)
Civilization

Post by Civilization »

Ha ha, I bet when Bino goes to the Good Ol Dog's Club everyone will have a feather and be bragging about how their wolfs now. "Hey Bino, where's your feather." Bino will be like "You did bot even notice I was gone." They be like "No..."
Currently traveling across the United States. Still up for any conversations though.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Mickey wrote:Next Panel: Bino is frothing and twitching because Tiger has a feather.
Fido and Spo *both* have feathers.

Oh, and Duchess delivers the Aesop.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Argent wrote:
Mickey wrote:Next Panel: Bino is frothing and twitching because Tiger has a feather.
Fido and Spo *both* have feathers.

Oh, and Duchess delivers the Aesop.
I think the biggest punch would've been if Grape got one too. X3

That's assuming she still hangs around the dogs club.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

As I think about it, the only good thing I can recall that's ended up well for Bino was when he got that mailman piñata for Christmas - many years ago; I don't recall Bino having any problems with Peanut being in the GODC after that. Perhaps Bino's bad attitude is linked to a lack of good experiences?
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

GameCobra wrote:I think the biggest punch would've been if Grape got one too. X3

That's assuming she still hangs around the dogs club.
Why wouldn't she? I would think, if anything, dating Maxie would make her more likely to hang out there, since Maxie is Bino's brother.
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

How come no one is using Bino's face in panel four as their avatar yet? :lol:
Frank

Post by Frank »

Le-gasp! The whole arc has been leading up to an April fools pun!
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
GreatKitsune

Post by GreatKitsune »

Frank wrote:Le-gasp! The whole arc has been leading up to an April fools pun!
How punny. *gets mauled*
Hello, low order beings!

Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Obbl wrote:Juxtaposed with this where Bino had done nothing but set himself up for failure so that even when presented with the win by sheer dumb luck it slips through his fingers. That feels well balanced to me where the loss of his new favorite toy does not. (Also it brings up an interesting difference between the universe delivering the comeuppance versus another character delivering the comeuppance.)

I guess I'm starting to become a broken record with this, but I really, truly can't understand how when presented with a character who literally sets up his own failure, one can feel upset when the failure actually occurs. Especially given that most comments with this perspective tend to try shifting the blame to "the universe" (or Rick) exactly as Bino does. I understand Bino not learning his lesson, but have we learned nothing from Bino? Can any light be shed on this?
Bino certainly did overstate his experience. He also experienced and overcame fear. Based on prior strips, Bino's analysis of his olfactory abilities wasn't too far off the mark - he failed the police academy for being undisciplined, not incapable. Granted, this may not previously have involved blindfolds and heavy snow conditions. Bino even set a goal he knew he couldn't reach (and got mocked by Miles) but kinda pulled it off. We don't know that Bino embellished the events in his retelling (though most would certainly bet that way), but we do know he accomplished the challenges set forth by the wolves. He even succeeded at Four-Finger-Discount Jack's mission and ended up getting in hot water and having his collar stolen for the trouble.

Bino doesn't win. That's a tenet of this comic. Even when Bino's girlfriend joins a conspiracy to steal his property, Bino is reviled by the comic's fans and beaten by Fox. Bino may be acting somewhat cruelly in this example, but I'm not sure anyone would respond very differently in the circumstances depicted.

Bino has major insecurities and they're completely justified.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
GreatKitsune

Post by GreatKitsune »

Dissension wrote:
Obbl wrote:Juxtaposed with this where Bino had done nothing but set himself up for failure so that even when presented with the win by sheer dumb luck it slips through his fingers. That feels well balanced to me where the loss of his new favorite toy does not. (Also it brings up an interesting difference between the universe delivering the comeuppance versus another character delivering the comeuppance.)

Bino certainly did overstate his experience. He also experienced and overcame fear. Based on prior strips, Bino's analysis of his olfactory abilities wasn't too far off the mark - he failed the police academy for being undisciplined, not incapable. Granted, this may not previously have involved blindfolds and heavy snow conditions. Bino even set a goal he knew he couldn't reach (and got mocked by Miles) but kinda pulled it off. We don't know that Bino embellished the events in his retelling (though most would certainly bet that way), but we do know he accomplished the challenges set forth by the wolves. He even succeeded at Four-Finger-Discount Jack's mission and ended up getting in hot water and having his collar stolen for the trouble.

Bino doesn't win. That's a tenet of this comic. Even when Bino's girlfriend joins a conspiracy to steal his property, Bino is reviled by the comic's fans and beaten by Fox. Bino may be acting somewhat cruelly in this example, but I'm not sure anyone would respond very differently in the circumstances depicted.

Bino has major insecurities and they're completely justified.
I'm too lazy to come up with something to say, so: this.
Hello, low order beings!