2015/04/01 - Fool For A Day

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Dissension

Re: 2015/04/01 - Fool For A Day

Post by Dissension »

Obbl wrote:Juxtaposed with this where Bino had done nothing but set himself up for failure so that even when presented with the win by sheer dumb luck it slips through his fingers. That feels well balanced to me where the loss of his new favorite toy does not. (Also it brings up an interesting difference between the universe delivering the comeuppance versus another character delivering the comeuppance.)

I guess I'm starting to become a broken record with this, but I really, truly can't understand how when presented with a character who literally sets up his own failure, one can feel upset when the failure actually occurs. Especially given that most comments with this perspective tend to try shifting the blame to "the universe" (or Rick) exactly as Bino does. I understand Bino not learning his lesson, but have we learned nothing from Bino? Can any light be shed on this?
Bino certainly did overstate his experience. He also experienced and overcame fear. Based on prior strips, Bino's analysis of his olfactory abilities wasn't too far off the mark - he failed the police academy for being undisciplined, not incapable. Granted, this may not previously have involved blindfolds and heavy snow conditions. Bino even set a goal he knew he couldn't reach (and got mocked by Miles) but kinda pulled it off. We don't know that Bino embellished the events in his retelling (though most would certainly bet that way), but we do know he accomplished the challenges set forth by the wolves. He even succeeded at Four-Finger-Discount Jack's mission and ended up getting in hot water and having his collar stolen for the trouble.

Bino doesn't win. That's a tenet of this comic. Even when Bino's girlfriend joins a conspiracy to steal his property, Bino is reviled by the comic's fans and beaten by Fox. Bino may be acting somewhat cruelly in this example, but I'm not sure anyone would respond very differently in the circumstances depicted.

Bino has major insecurities and they're completely justified.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
GreatKitsune

Post by GreatKitsune »

Dissension wrote:
Obbl wrote:Juxtaposed with this where Bino had done nothing but set himself up for failure so that even when presented with the win by sheer dumb luck it slips through his fingers. That feels well balanced to me where the loss of his new favorite toy does not. (Also it brings up an interesting difference between the universe delivering the comeuppance versus another character delivering the comeuppance.)

I guess I'm starting to become a broken record with this, but I really, truly can't understand how when presented with a character who literally sets up his own failure, one can feel upset when the failure actually occurs. Especially given that most comments with this perspective tend to try shifting the blame to "the universe" (or Rick) exactly as Bino does. I understand Bino not learning his lesson, but have we learned nothing from Bino? Can any light be shed on this?
Bino certainly did overstate his experience. He also experienced and overcame fear. Based on prior strips, Bino's analysis of his olfactory abilities wasn't too far off the mark - he failed the police academy for being undisciplined, not incapable. Granted, this may not previously have involved blindfolds and heavy snow conditions. Bino even set a goal he knew he couldn't reach (and got mocked by Miles) but kinda pulled it off. We don't know that Bino embellished the events in his retelling (though most would certainly bet that way), but we do know he accomplished the challenges set forth by the wolves. He even succeeded at Four-Finger-Discount Jack's mission and ended up getting in hot water and having his collar stolen for the trouble.

Bino doesn't win. That's a tenet of this comic. Even when Bino's girlfriend joins a conspiracy to steal his property, Bino is reviled by the comic's fans and beaten by Fox. Bino may be acting somewhat cruelly in this example, but I'm not sure anyone would respond very differently in the circumstances depicted.

Bino has major insecurities and they're completely justified.
I'm too lazy to come up with something to say, so: this.
Hello, low order beings!

Community Involvement, peepoll!
Someone wise once wrote:I wish I could ride a magical girl's purple flying unicorn to Narnia through Lebouff's Shire, the land of trololol.
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

If the wolves now closed the tests to become a wolf, that's probably because every dog in the town has become so (even Peanut!). :P There isn't a great explaining of why of its closing. ;) Poor Bino, his arrest and fourth test failing cancelled all the previous tests. :P Just throw away this useless idea to become a wolf, it became a fad of all the dogs, what's the point, then? Just to say that you did it for first? :roll: I understand your reaction by seeing that, Bino, so would be better don't look if also Tiger and his laziness succeeded to get the feather... :P
Well, Bino is doomed to never win. :|
GreatKitsune

Post by GreatKitsune »

The best joke would be to have even Mr. Bigglesworth with a feather. :lol:
Hello, low order beings!

Someone wise once wrote:I wish I could ride a magical girl's purple flying unicorn to Narnia through Lebouff's Shire, the land of trololol.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Kitch wrote:Why wouldn't she? I would think, if anything, dating Maxie would make her more likely to hang out there, since Maxie is Bino's brother.
Depends on what her and Max think about it. I'm also assuming she hangs around with the dogs still, and may have also been encouraged more by Max ~ but it's also possible that she stopped hanging around with them because she found something better to do. Hard to say, but I certainly hope she still hangs out with them. X3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Argent

Post by Argent »

Dissension wrote:He even succeeded at Four-Finger-Discount Jack's mission and ended up getting in hot water and having his collar stolen for the trouble.
He didn't succeed at Jack's mission.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Civilization

Post by Civilization »

No one saw him succeed at any of the challenges. So to them this never happened, I sense future health problems for Bino. (Most of them involved getting punched in the face.)
Currently traveling across the United States. Still up for any conversations though.
GreatKitsune

Post by GreatKitsune »

Civilization wrote:No one saw him succeed at any of the challenges. So to them this never happened, I sense future health problems for Bino. (Most of them involved getting punched in the face.)
Like this?

Hello, low order beings!

MrBlueSky7

Post by MrBlueSky7 »

pokeblue wrote:
MrBlueSky7 wrote:Hey wait a second, something just occurred to me:What exactly did King mean when he said Bino's arrest was "almost" linked back to the Wolf house? Perhaps a certain Ferret intercepted? Or maybe Jack wiped the evidence clean?
That or no one could find a definite connection between Bino's actions and the Wolf family.

Somehow I knew Peanut would be able to pass the tests, though I thought was already kinda an honorary wolf because he was so good with the pups. Huh, now that I think about it, where DID the feather Bino got go?
I think that feather on Peanut's head WAS Bino's.

Also, how come Bino never told anybody else that Jack set him up? He still lives with the Wolves, doesn't he? If they knew about it, they'd find SOME truth to his story.
bravelove

Post by bravelove »

Wow.. poor Bino, I really wanna give him a hug, he's gone through a lot this arc
Image Image
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

MrBlueSky7 wrote:Also, how come Bino never told anybody else that Jack set him up? He still lives with the Wolves, doesn't he? If they knew about it, they'd find SOME truth to his story.
The wolves know.
King wrote:We heard about your arrest that was almost linked back here...
Argent wrote:
Dissension wrote:He even succeeded at Four-Finger-Discount Jack's mission and ended up getting in hot water and having his collar stolen for the trouble.
He didn't succeed at Jack's mission.
You are correct, I forgot he had to get away scot-free in order to pass.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
MrBlueSky7

Post by MrBlueSky7 »

Dissension wrote:
MrBlueSky7 wrote:Also, how come Bino never told anybody else that Jack set him up? He still lives with the Wolves, doesn't he? If they knew about it, they'd find SOME truth to his story.
The wolves know.
King wrote:We heard about your arrest that was almost linked back here...
So, does that mean the Wolves are PROTECTING Jack? Why would they do such a thing?
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

While I don't doubt they would protect Jack, it seems more like Jack covered up his tracks. If Bino said it was one of Jack's tests, Jack would either simply point out that the 4th test was gone thanks to Miles, the head of the family (A risky move that could get him in trouble, too.) or just says that all the evidence at home points out there was never a fourth test. And Jack would just pretend what happened with Bino never happened.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

All I can say is that I agree 100% with what Diss is saying about Bino. At this point, I'm expecting things to get worse. I believe this is Rick trying to make it care that Bino will always be the buttmonkey even if he DOES do good and if we don't like it then we suck it up.
Whozjama

Post by Whozjama »

And we're coming to you live on this developing story at Avian-News, yes it seems there's been a recent outbreak of dogs-plucking-bird-feather-itis that's been spreading from Babylon Gardens. Will there been any respite from the grabby paws? Stay tunes to find out.
All your acorns are belong to us.
GreatKitsune

Post by GreatKitsune »

Whozjama wrote:And we're coming to you live on this developing story at Avian-News, yes it seems there's been a recent outbreak of dogs-plucking-bird-feather-itis that's been spreading from Babylon Gardens. Will there been any respite from the grabby paws? Stay tunes to find out.
Maybe that's when Frank gets back? :lol:
Hello, low order beings!

Argent

Post by Argent »

MrBlueSky7 wrote:I think that feather on Peanut's head WAS Bino's.
It would be more narratively fulfilling if it was the one King was playing with, surely?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

If it was King's, that would REALLY be kicking him since he can taunt him.
Argent

Post by Argent »

You know, if it was the one King was playing with, and Bino recognized it... King would have a choice of burning Bino by refusing, or by going "OK... you can have it, I'm not going to be a bully and keep something you care about away from you. Unlike some people I could name."
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I don't think that Bino cares that much if people think he's a bully.
dryideabat

Post by dryideabat »

I agree on King alluding to that incident, though yeah being Bino, I don't think he would even remember the watch (let alone care). "Oh come-on, when did I ever do something like that?..."

Oh dog, that face says it all :lol: !.
I almost feel sorry for him; he just can't win for losing (can't we all relate?).
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

The buttmonkey of the comic never comes up on top, though if I write a fan fiction, I'll try to throw him a bone.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

As the length of a comic increases, the odds the butt monkey gets a day to shine increase. Bino will get his day!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
1071-CCN

Post by 1071-CCN »

Now that I've seen that Bino still has some hope, I'm getting rid of that old thing. Glad Rick gave him another chance. Or maybe a first chance.
This account is a copy of that of my Cross Time Cafe account, which I use to discuss Freefall on its forum.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Somehow I doubt Rick will change his mind about torturing Bino because Status Quo is God and such. Oh well, all we can do is just take it.
justacritic

Post by justacritic »

There is such a thing as character development, but for Bino, it will be traumatic and full of feels.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

There is such a thing isn't there? Too bad not for Bino.
MrBlueSky7

Post by MrBlueSky7 »

This may sound like a question that may (or may not) have an obvious answer, but I have to ask: Why DID the Wolves ask King to break the news to Bino anyways? Did they not have the heart to tell the news to him in person?

(I'm aware of King's history with the Wolves, btw, I'm just curious to know)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

They probably didn’t want to deal with him and the fit that he would pitch when they told him that everybody but him was a wolf.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

King is the one who usually answers the door, so the wolves may not be ignoring Bino here. Note that King's phrasing doesn't leave out the option that the wolves have just told King to tell everyone they're not doing the wolf thing anymore, or that they told King to tell whoever was at the door in this particular case without knowing it was Bino beforehand.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That sounds like it makes better sense, since the last time a wolf opened the door, their pizza went running off with a terrified delivery man
FireworkFox

Post by FireworkFox »

I adore the way Peanut wears that feather!
My name is Firework Fox.
uwu
------------------------
John Granger
S5 P8 E4 C6 I7 A6 L6
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

He does absolutely 100% rock that feather doesn't he? LOL