2015/10/05 - Snack Break

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
CosmicCoyote

Re: 2015/10/05 - Snack Break

Post by CosmicCoyote »

Well, considering that they have yet to use another time travel spell in the past (indeed, almost the entirety of their problem is that they can't) and that there seems to be no reason to presume that they're at different relativistic speeds, it stands to reason that just because they're in different places in time doesn't mean their temporal perspectives are any different.

If one's speed through the universe is constant (and the earth hasn't changed speed significantly in the past 7000 years) and gravity isn't mucking things up (and the solar system hasn't changed drastically in that regard either in that time frame) one's movement through time is similarly constant.

Fun fact - the moon is actually slowing down the earth's rotation through tidal forces. If anything, the current timeframe should be going slower than the past. That said, it's a sorta... millions of years process, so I wouldn't really attribute anything to that.
"...kindness is its own reward. Paid in ice cream."
RP chars:
Redwall: Rhys Greenbrier
17th CF: Alasdair 'Alec' Ogilvy
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:
Buster wrote:That's one thing I never get with time travel stories, people always assume the two time periods are synchronized.

Why?
I'm not assuming that. I'm sure weeks or months have passed for the Gardens whereas it's only a day or so back then.
That's one thing I never get with time travel stories, people always assume the two time periods are in any way linked up ;)
They're traveling through time. Whenever they decide to go back to is when they will end up. Even if they spend 50 years in the past, they can travel forward to 5 seconds after they left.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Obbl wrote:
Welsh Halfwit wrote:
Buster wrote:That's one thing I never get with time travel stories, people always assume the two time periods are synchronized.

Why?
I'm not assuming that. I'm sure weeks or months have passed for the Gardens whereas it's only a day or so back then.
That's one thing I never get with time travel stories, people always assume the two time periods are in any way linked up ;)
They're traveling through time. Whenever they decide to go back to is when they will end up. Even if they spend 50 years in the past, they can travel forward to 5 seconds after they left.
OR... They could spend five seconds in the past and return five YEARS later. And, as soon as they arrive back and discover they've been gone however long, they can't go back and arrive earlier. Paradoxes are dangerous.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

And that is why it is unwise to play with them.
Argent

Post by Argent »

CosmicCoyote wrote:Well, considering that they have yet to use another time travel spell in the past (indeed, almost the entirety of their problem is that they can't) and that there seems to be no reason to presume that they're at different relativistic speeds, it stands to reason that just because they're in different places in time doesn't mean their temporal perspectives are any different.
It's meaningless to talk about how much time "has passed" in the past, because it's already happened. All the time they spend in the past has already passed, before they even went back there.
Welsh Halfwit wrote:OR... They could spend five seconds in the past and return five YEARS later. And, as soon as they arrive back and discover they've been gone however long, they can't go back and arrive earlier. Paradoxes are dangerous.
Sure they can come back and arrive earlier. It's no more dangerous than going back in the first place. If anything it's safer: you can't make yourself never have been born by going back a few years.

"Oh heck, we overshot, back inside. Good thing I grabbed some extra mana. Hold hands again. *ZORCH* OK, just remember to stay away from temple five years from now YES THAT MEANS YOU TOO KARISHAD."

And don't forget to leave the keys to the jail behind the sign: https://youtu.be/Xww4jxEsSc0?t=396
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Sketchygenet

Post by Sketchygenet »

The-J-Man wrote:King Does have a right to be concerned, but he does it way too much
Better to be harmlessly (In this case) over concerned than harmfully under concerned.
Yarf!
Flexico

Post by Flexico »

Baby bulge plus icecream bulge! HNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGG MUST RUB!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Argent wrote:
CosmicCoyote wrote:Well, considering that they have yet to use another time travel spell in the past (indeed, almost the entirety of their problem is that they can't) and that there seems to be no reason to presume that they're at different relativistic speeds, it stands to reason that just because they're in different places in time doesn't mean their temporal perspectives are any different.
It's meaningless to talk about how much time "has passed" in the past, because it's already happened. All the time they spend in the past has already passed, before they even went back there.
of course, if you spend more than a day or tow in the past you may want to arrive back that same amount of time after you left. otherwise you end up aging faster than everyone who isn't travelling.
but the gang should be safe from that with a one time deal, so they'll probably shoot for a little after they left.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Argent

Post by Argent »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:of course, if you spend more than a day or tow in the past you may want to arrive back that same amount of time after you left. otherwise you end up aging faster than everyone who isn't travelling.
If you do that you're going to be missing for however long that is (and eventually presumed dead, if you spend enough time that aging matters).

It's a balancing act, I guess. Is it more of a problem to explain why you're suddenly older ("Oh yes, I was sick, terrible case of pseudoclinical tempusfugit...") or where you were for the past three years ("I was in Pagatonia, what, you actually looked for me there? I meant Paraguay. Always getting them confused.")?
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

well that's assuming you don't plan to time travel/can't control the travel enough to pop in a few times here and there and say "I'm gonna be gone for a few months"

I guess I was more planning for habitual time travellers, who could end up being 90 by the time they should be 40 just from the cumulative extra time. as I said, for a one time deal like this you can probably afford to appear to shave a couple years off your life.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Argent

Post by Argent »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:I guess I was more planning for habitual time travellers, who could end up being 90 by the time they should be 40 just from the cumulative extra time. as I said, for a one time deal like this you can probably afford to appear to shave a couple years off your life.
If you're spending that much time time traveling you'd probably spend your whole free time with younger and older versions of yourself in a big party in the summer of 1999. Back when it was still possible to have some privacy.

(spot that reference)
CosmicCoyote

Post by CosmicCoyote »

Argent wrote:
Point taken, but until they actually time travel again, it seems apropos to apply Ockham's Razor and assume they're parallel in time spent... to me, at least. >_>
"...kindness is its own reward. Paid in ice cream."
RP chars:
Redwall: Rhys Greenbrier
17th CF: Alasdair 'Alec' Ogilvy
freshpickledtuna

Post by freshpickledtuna »

Congratulations!

You accomplished in a few months what Two Kinds hasn't accomplished in a few years--making one of your characters actually come full-term.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

2 characters (see Snow) ;)
But to be fair, the entire storyline of Two Kinds has taken place over, like, a few weeks thus far. If Tom ever finds a place to put in a time skip, then he can move things along :P
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Except that we didn't see Snow when she was first pregnant like we did with Bailey.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

We did see Snow twice prior to her pregnancy.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

OK true but she's only a background character and we know more about this pregnancy then the others.
Discostew

Post by Discostew »

Bailey is just too cute with that baby bump, so much that I wanna hug and cuddle her.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

And then you would get King screaming at you that you are hugging her too hard. :P
Discostew

Post by Discostew »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:And then you would get King screaming at you that you are hugging her too hard. :P
Is that before or after Bailey already hugged him to exhaustion?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Most likely before.