Max has his priorities straight
Saturn381

Re: 2015/10/16 - Cats And Hats

Post by Saturn381 »

Maxwell, always the jealous type. :lol:
TheBlasterizer

Post by TheBlasterizer »

Yay Maxwell has something extremely useful to say in this arc aaand its gone...
My DA can be found Here!
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

In matters of keeping the space-time continuum safe, beat up the guy trying to steal your girl.

Also, I now want to see Satau as a Jedi or Sith.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

That's actually what I was saying earlier. In an earlier thread I gave my opinion that it was a smart idea to give the losing side equal power, because otherwise their animosity mixed with ultimate power could lead to balance issues.

BTW, nice to see the cats enjoying fish.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

As Satau's name is vadered
and Peanut carries the cats,
Tarot lays out her new plan
and Max thinks she's bats.
They might well ruin the future
in their attempt to return;
for Max the rule is simple -
save Grapel let time burn.
To get the power, grab the hat?
Because, obviously, it has the mana
unless Ptah just liked the style...
Is he an ancient style planner?
Last edited by Welsh Halfwit on Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

D-Rock wrote:In matters of keeping the space-time continuum safe, beat up the guy trying to steal your girl.
On one hand, it's romantic in that he would shatter their known timeline and possibly cause the house cat breed to diminish just to win his girl back.

On the other hand, he's an idiot. :lol:
ImageImageImageImage
Frank

Post by Frank »

D-Rock wrote:In matters of keeping the space-time continuum safe, beat up the guy trying to steal your girl.
Hey, it worked in Back to the Future!
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

Okay guys, this next part is the tricky one ... getting the headdress. Some may say that this is a ... Mission Implossible *insert MI theme here*
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
valerio

Post by valerio »

Bravo Max! For caring for your peers and for setting your priorities straight!
Wolfbane

Post by Wolfbane »

No worries characters of a fictional webcomic series, you won't change the future with that decision because you came from what will already be. If you did manage to change the future in the past, it would have already happened and you'd have to make the decision not to take his hat - even though you couldn't be sure that it was the decision that made the future bad.

Though, if you did change the future, you would have grown up in it and you wouldn't know it was any different. Maybe this decision creates the positive future you live in, and maybe this decision splits the timeline in two. Maybe taking that hat DOES change your specific future...

... Ok yeah, now I'm confused. Just do whatever, reverse the polarity of the neutron flow or some made up stuff like that. XD
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

It's good to see that a stylish hat like that will always be important in one way or another :lol:
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

HundKatzeMaus wrote:It's good to see that a stylish hat like that will always be important in one way or another :lol:
...Or is it?

Who says that's where the Mana is? Tarot? She's not exactly batting a hundred right now.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
ChekeBello

Post by ChekeBello »

SuperStar wrote:BTW, nice to see the cats enjoying fish.
Aye sir!

But wont Dragon notice if the helmet is suddenly missing?? Even with Ptah not knowing where they come from, as Satau's guests, Ptah will make him responsible for his hat disappearance and he will have to explain somehow
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Wolfbane wrote:No worries characters of a fictional webcomic series, you won't change the future with that decision because you came from what will already be. If you did manage to change the future in the past, it would have already happened and you'd have to make the decision not to take his hat - even though you couldn't be sure that it was the decision that made the future bad.

Though, if you did change the future, you would have grown up in it and you wouldn't know it was any different. Maybe this decision creates the positive future you live in, and maybe this decision splits the timeline in two. Maybe taking that hat DOES change your specific future...

... Ok yeah, now I'm confused. Just do whatever, reverse the polarity of the neutron flow or some made up stuff like that. XD
Actually fluid (ie: changable) timelines crop up in fiction about time travel more often than fixed timelines. To the point that the first time in this arc this conversation came up, i had actually forgotten about fixed timelines in time travel stories being a regular thing. (also, a self correcting timeline still counts as fluid, since the change occurs even though it's later undone.)
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
IdleCurator

Post by IdleCurator »

Wolfbane wrote:Just do whatever, reverse the polarity of the neutron flow or some made up stuff like that. XD
I see what you did there. ;)
Gbr23 wrote:Okay guys, this next part is the tricky one ... getting the headdress. Some may say that this is a ... Mission Implossible *insert MI theme here*
Diss will defend the hat for all of time and space!

I am really curious to listen to Peanuts epic tale.
Hi Hi Pie
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

First off, anyone notice Maxwell's chin? That's amusingly cute.

I think the humor of all of this now is that Maxwell lampshading this means he opened up another possibility i'm sure is going to happen: someone, likely Kitsune or a friend of his, is going to patch this whole thing up if it ever got out of hand. If what Maxwell says is true and it has a nasty effect in the future, then surely messing with it is not a good idea. But the other problem they maybe overlooking is that Grape is Ptah's main interest now, and her being Ptah's love interest is actually an important thing that's probably going to be forced on Maxwell and the others.

I'd still throttle Ptah in that case. Blame all the magical hijynx for making you do this in the first place. :3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Furryface18

Post by Furryface18 »

So they're gonna take Ptah's hat, steal Grape from them, and let the dogs take them over. Nice that they have all their stuff together.
There's no place like home...except the Housepets home page.
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

THAT'S THE SPIRIT, MAXIE!!! :twisted:
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Kitch wrote:THAT'S THE SPIRIT, MAXIE!!! :twisted:
"See this fish? That's you, Ptah..." *slow motion chew*
RockstarRaccoon
Worst Mod EVER!

Post by RockstarRaccoon »

Current theory: whatever they're doing right now isn't going to change anything because, being in the past, it's already happened.
Remember the last time they did time-travel? It was a stable time loop.
Hey guys, I'm one of the RP section mods. Feel free to bug me any time: I'm not strict and I try to be very approachable.
Fanfiction Character: Vallerie Nightengale (female, idiot)
cuteycindyhoney

Post by cuteycindyhoney »

Max will destroy the timelines for the kitty he loves. Romantic, yes. Dangerously stupid and ill thought out...YES!
The animated signature I've used for years is too big for this forum! When I get time, I'll have to deconstruct it and make it smaller!
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Oh, so that funny hat has mana to give strength to Ptah... Like hair to Samson. :P Take it off from his head, and he's no more the king? Seems easy. Oh, care about the supremacy of cats over dogs throughout history is honorable of you Maxwell... Oh wait, nevermind. :P Well, as usual, you think to your business (must agree this time: Grape is only yours ;)), but in the meanwhile, you're eating the fish he offered you. :P What a jerky profiteer. :lol: Nice, Peanut is still telling, I wish to have a such storyteller. :) And no, tell them that Darth Vader isn't like Satau, Peanut. ;)
Bill in OK

Post by Bill in OK »

Where's Walter Bishop when you need him?
King looks an awful lot like my own Corgi. That's one reason why he's my favorite, but I also like his attitude.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Bill in OK wrote:Where's Walter Bishop when you need him?
In the wrong reality.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

cuteycindyhoney wrote:Max will destroy the timelines for the kitty he loves. Romantic, yes. Dangerously stupid and ill thought out...YES!
Except that TAROT stopped him from doing that simply by pointing out that if he let Ptah keep his hat, he would get Grape. The timeline would have only been destroyed if he left Ptah and his hat of stupidpower alone.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:
cuteycindyhoney wrote:Max will destroy the timelines for the kitty he loves. Romantic, yes. Dangerously stupid and ill thought out...YES!
Except that TAROT stopped him from doing that simply by pointing out that if he let Ptah keep his hat, he would get Grape. The timeline would have only been destroyed if he left Ptah and his hat of stupidpower alone.
no, Max was theorizing that Ptah is supposed to have the hat, and that taking it would disrupt the timeline and allow the dogs to overtake the cats. assuming that's the case, then taking the hat disrupts the timeline and letting him keep it preserves it. and so Max is choosing to take it and risk disrupting the timeline.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I think Tarot is much smarter than that and she knows that they are supposed tot make the hat to keep the time line on the correct path which is why she nudged Max into going after the hat by using Grape.
CosmicCoyote

Post by CosmicCoyote »

On the one hand: ensuring cat-kind has the power to protect themselves from dog domination.

On the other hand: punching the guy who took your girlfriend in the face. And taking his stupid hat.

Decisions, decisions.
"...kindness is its own reward. Paid in ice cream."
RP chars:
Redwall: Rhys Greenbrier
17th CF: Alasdair 'Alec' Ogilvy
andwhyisit

Post by andwhyisit »

RockstarRaccoon wrote:Current theory: whatever they're doing right now isn't going to change anything because, being in the past, it's already happened.
Remember the last time they did time-travel? It was a stable time loop.
If we go on the "correcting" model then theoretically a stable time loop is possible. Under the correcting model time will attempt to flow from the changed past into the same future when the alterations are minor enough, and split into a separate timeline when that isn't possible. Of course a string of broken loops will likely be created in the path to a true self-fulfilled time loop. Even if a perfect loop is possible here, chances are that numerous flawed loops (changing the past changes the future, which changes the past, and then the future, past, future, etc.) engineered that scenario, and that the timeline at the start of the whole process was very, very different.

For an example lets use those automatic translators as an example. Try translating a phrase to another language and then back again, eventually after so many changes you will reach the same result over and over again.

https://tctechcrunch2011.files.wordpres ... hyou-1.png

Under the correcting model it is quite feasible to apply this logic to timelines when physical time travel is involved. In that linked image the English text can represent the future and the Japanese text the past. Of course just like the example there are some cases where equilibrium cannot be achieved, or cases where it hasn't yet achieved equilibrium. And lets not forget the effect that other cases of time travel that haven't found equilibrium can have on an existing stable loop.

Gallifrax is proof enough that alternate timelines exist, so the fixed model is bogus.

If this is the non-correcting fluid model then a stable time loop is impossible over such an extended span of temporal divergence. Ever heard of the butterfly effect?

So just because a stable loop is possible that doesn't mean that it will always happen.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm all for equality between cats and dogs so I think that they should let him keep the hat and find a way to get Grape back some other way that WON'T ruin the time stream.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

See this is why I love Peanut. He's adorable even off-panel.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

It seems what is adorable to you is probably embarrassing to Tarot (and most likely Grape. =P)
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I find it amusing that Peanut's Star Wars dialogue about the one called Vader, clad all in Black, that Maxwell is in those panels. Sure, he's telling the cats the story and they know Satau, but I will chuckle if it's foreshadowing something about Maxwell. :3

Also, Tarot holding Maxwell's paw while reassuring him what Ptah is doing is actually hearthwarming, considering he drove her nuts a few comics back.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I do hope if Grapenut ends up together they just don't throw Maxwell and Tarot together. I like them as friends more than in a romance.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Neither of those will happen because peanut will realize he misses dragon and they'll get back together.

...any day now...

...just a matter of time...

Please?
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Make a non-romantic comment about a pair.
Watch it become a ship.

Either you guys are messing with me or I will never learn. X3
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing MAXWELL with Dragon. All about the Dragwell train!