2015/12/18 - Gimme The News

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Argent

Re: 2015/12/18 - Gimme The News

Post by Argent »

Hlaoroo wrote:I guess humans are just weird. :P
The human uterus is really weird and nobody's quite sure why. It's almost like humans are from another world.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Panther

Post by Panther »

ChekeBello wrote:What is Milk Fever?
Heh , what ! You don't know "saturday milk fever" from john Travolta ? OK , i'm out :lol:
valerio wrote:
GameCobra wrote:Elaine, stop being such a cat in the laser panel =3
Vets usually aren't jerks, but this vet clearly tells me he's the no-nonsense type and wants to make sure Elaine is up-to-speed on his level. I'm just surprised he didn't ask her if she ever performed deliveries before?
He did, and with an even worse attitude:
Since the beginning , this jerky vet is clearly contemptuous towards Elaine ; surely because she's just an animal for his eyes . His "superiority" human on animal makes him to forget no animal (feral or tamed) has never requested an human to give birth

*grabs the vet , runs to the zoo and throws him in the tigers area*
Wolfbane

Post by Wolfbane »

You can just feeeeeeeel the tension rising...

... In the comic, of course... And possibly in here against this vet.
Panther

Post by Panther »

Wolfbane wrote:You can just feeeeeeeel the tension rising....
Yea ; the vet will discover soon how strong a she-wolf can bite :mrgreen:
Frank

Post by Frank »

Hlaoroo wrote:Eclampsia is technically speaking the massive contractions happening in severe milk fever. It's always a result of hypocalcaemia (low blood calcium) in animals. According to google though, humans do get it as a result of high blood pressure around pregnancy/birth. I guess humans are just weird. :P
"Are you nervous, ma'am?"
"No of course not.... but.... what if I don't remember the breathing exercises right? What if there's something wrong with the cord? What if I die in labor? What if--"
"Ma'am, your blood pressure just tripled"
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
John-056

Post by John-056 »

SuperStar wrote:
valerio wrote:
SuperStar wrote:He's talking sense to her.
And what's this about labor being different? What does that matter, this guy is a vet, he knows what he's talking about.
Is he saying the correct things as far as medics go? YES
Is he acting rude like heck to someone who KNOWS how to midwife? YES
The fact that one is good at his job shouldn't include rudeness. In fact, if a doctor were rude to a patient, if that patient was human, doc could be easily sued. The fact that in US animals cannot sue or complain in legal terms doesn't mean that this guy must act like a jerk to them. It's a question of basic good manners.
But I don't see how he's acting like a jerk, he's asking reasonable questions. Honestly, if anyone is being rude I think it's Elaine. Upon hearing that Elaine was a midwife, he asked her reasonable medical questions to see how things were going, and upon hearing that she didn't seem to be doing the right stuff(and cracking a joke in the middle of it) I'm not surprised he asked her to leave(with the rest of the family), and now he's still trying to explain the matters to her. The Vet is being more or less tolerable, Elaine is the one getting grumpy and shouting.
Ahem, if you were trusted with midwifing, your first priority is to make sure the birthing is successful. And frankly, the Vet got in the way by telling the wolves to shove it, and he's wasting more time talking down on the Midwife by talking in medical lingo, then kept on provoking her when he already found she knew the layman's term of the syndrome!

Also, he basically told King, who told him he was called over for a Medical opinion on Bailey's health, to get out by saying, and I quote:

*After King Told him he was only here to get a medical opinion on Bailey's health* And The mother's health concerns him and the Owner.

That quote meant that as long as they're not human, he doesn't give a toot about their feelings. It's one thing to do your job, it's another if he was clearly told to do a certain role and he just barges in and tries to steal the reins from everyone.

You don't do that if it risks endangering the mother or child's life (True fact for those who've had to midwife). And judging from the looks of it, Miles' pack hasn't lost a single member due to birthing issues. (The only birthing incident mentioned was that Miles' mother was a bit heavy handed with the birth of Miles and :oops: Lucretia's cubs, though thankfully, they didn't lose a single pup, otherwise, we'd be having some pretty empty comic spaces where North Star, Rockstar and Darth Vades should be.)

Also, King and Bailey's wedding was practically broadcasted for all and sundried to watch and hear, so unless the Vet was living under a rock or in a mad scientist's laboratory, he should know about it. Also, since he's a local (He got here pretty quickly.), that means he more than likely attended the wedding, or at least watched it and has known about the Milton's Wolf house due to working in the vet!

Rick, why does the Fat Vet (might as well separate him from the other vets to know who to glare at.) know nothing about the Wolf house!?
On the next... Wire in the Blood...
HSDVGDGFWGFWHGVMBHGWY*Ded*
Neowulf

Post by Neowulf »

He's wearing a lab coat. Your arguments are invalid.
John-056

Post by John-056 »

Neowulf wrote:He's wearing a lab coat. Your arguments are invalid.
That could just mean he's a mad scientist just waiting for the right time to be alone...

The TF2 medic wears a lab coat... And he's a total nutjob. :roll:
On the next... Wire in the Blood...
HSDVGDGFWGFWHGVMBHGWY*Ded*
Argent

Post by Argent »

One does have to admit that talking animals provide unique challenges to veterinary medicine.

Also, King can get rid of Doc Robotnik pretty easily. He just has to point out that if he's not a responsible party then who does the vet think is going to pay for the house call?

PS: Hlaoroo, would 35C water be warm enough for a wolf with hypothermia?
Last edited by Argent on Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jakkal

Post by Jakkal »

To be honest, I am a doctor, too, I wouldn't trust that Wolf as well. When I hear, that she didn't check the basics I need to work properly, giving me a attitude right at the get g. Calling herself a Midwife with absolutely no education, but only vague experience (she never told him, how many births she actually accompanied) I would try to get rid of her, as fast as I can. For the health and security of Baily and her offspring.
tsMKG

Post by tsMKG »

It may not be a local Vet.

I think that when King called the Vet, the local Vet was sick so the Vet called ANOTHER Vet who didn't live in Babylon Gardens.
Have you been looking at the thing above this? Dis is my old signature and is not relevant anymore.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Jakkal wrote:To be honest, I am a doctor, too, I wouldn't trust that Wolf as well. When I hear, that she didn't check the basics I need to work properly, giving me a attitude right at the get g. Calling herself a Midwife with absolutely no education, but only vague experience (she never told him, how many births she actually accompanied) I would try to get rid of her, as fast as I can. For the health and security of Baily and her offspring.
I'm not a doctor, but you are, and I totally agree with you.
Neowulf

Post by Neowulf »

Jakkal wrote:To be honest, I am a doctor, too, I wouldn't trust that Wolf as well. When I hear, that she didn't check the basics I need to work properly, giving me a attitude right at the get g. Calling herself a Midwife with absolutely no education, but only vague experience (she never told him, how many births she actually accompanied) I would try to get rid of her, as fast as I can. For the health and security of Baily and her offspring.
This guy!
Everyone give him a hand!
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Argent wrote: PS: Hlaoroo, would 35C water be warm enough for a wolf with hypothermia?
It would be better to have it closer to body temperature but it's possible her body is at a different temperature since she's a genetically modified hybrid.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

ChekeBello

Post by ChekeBello »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:
And this one too.
Thanks fot the info guys! =)
I still dont like this vet manners but Jakkal gives us a doctor's perspective in the matter, King told the vet he was not called to help with the birth and after talking with Elaine it appears as to him she is not quite experienced to do the best for Bailey. But he is indeed talking moonspeak for Elaine, maybe she knows what he is talking about but not call it the same, I mean she lived in the woods most of his life. I think there must be a better way to approach this P=
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

Well honestly I'm kinda torn between wanting to kick that vet and admitting that he is just doing his job.
He doesn't know how much experience the wolves have, so he uses his medical knowledge for this.
Sure the wolves have forest wisdom, but the vet has some legit knowledge.
That being said I also want add two things:
1) A good doctor should explain everything to his patients with words the patient can understand, because that medicalbubbling isn't understandable for everyone.
2) He should at least ask Elaine for assistance, the third panel did really show that she knows what she does or at least has SOME knowledge.
ChekeBello wrote: I still dont like this vet manners but Jakkal gives us a doctor's perspective in the matter, King told the vet he was not called to help with the birth and after talking with Elaine it appears as to him she is not quite experienced to do the best for Bailey. But he is indeed talking moonspeak for Elaine, maybe she knows what he is talking about but not call it the same, I mean she lived in the woods most of his life. I think there must be a better way to approach this P=
I think she could lend him at least a paw, he should really let her do that.

The best thing that could happen is that King raises his voice and calls both out for that, since Bailey is in the middle of giving birth and that she needs help right now.
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Ok, Bailey's health is going very well, and can't be otherwise, she's really strong. :D Thank you mister vet, now you can leave the house, you've done what King asked for. :P Ehm, he's not talking about the same type of milk, Elaine. ;) Poor Elaine, the vet is putting her on nerves... He's such a jerk continuing in that way, and I think that he figured out that the midwife wolf isn't an expert in medicine stuff, according to him. So yeah, stop it, and you too, Elaine. :P ;) Can't wait for the birth! :D
Cool expressions for Elaine, but instead the vet is so unemotional... :roll:
Argent

Post by Argent »

Hlaoroo wrote:
Argent wrote: PS: Hlaoroo, would 35C water be warm enough for a wolf with hypothermia?
It would be better to have it closer to body temperature but it's possible her body is at a different temperature since she's a genetically modified hybrid.
Good point.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I though milk fever only occurs in cows? That's what it said on Wikipedia at least.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

It's in most species, Amazee. Trust me, I've studied reproduction in quite a few of them.
Anyone can write anything they like on Wikipedia. You can't believe everything you read on there.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Yeah well the article on Wikipedia seemed well-written and not like the gibberish I would associate with vandalism.
Frank

Post by Frank »

John-056 wrote:That quote meant that as long as they're not human, he doesn't give a toot about their feelings. It's one thing to do your job, it's another if he was clearly told to do a certain role and he just barges in and tries to steal the reins from everyone.
I've seen these kinds of people before. They believe their responsibility extends beyond their profession: they believe the people they interact with must follow good social norms, and that it is their responsibility (if not their job) to make sure the people they interact with keep to their social roles. I.E. in his eyes, he's trying to do them a favor
Amazee Dayzee wrote:I though milk fever only occurs in cows? That's what it said on Wikipedia at least.
The internet "rule" is "if it exists, it exists on the internet" not "if it exists, it exists on Wikipedia" (and in fact, due to their notability guideline a lot of things that "exist" do not exist on Wikipedia)
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
CosmicCoyote

Post by CosmicCoyote »

So here's how much of a history nerd I am - my first thought when I read milk fever was the illness Nancy Hanks Lincoln died from (tremetol poisoning via cows who've eaten white snakeroot), and I was wondering what in the world that had to do with anything for this scenario.

Actual milk fever makes much more sense for the situation. :P
valerio wrote:
Jakkal wrote:
John-056 wrote:
I mean, does he tell that techno babble to humans? NO!
But when someone says "I am a midwife", you expect them to know these terms.

I am on the side of the vet, too.
As far as midwifing goes, this practice among humans was, for a very long time, performed without the least intimate medical knowledge, just experience born out of 'trial-and-error' mixed with instincts. For example, even among skilled physicians, it took as long as NINETEENTH century before a physician by the name of Ignác Fülöp Semmelweis realized that many women died of childbirth due to infection caused by lack of hygiene. It was after his frustrated attempts to convince his fellows that new measures were finally added to the surgeon and medical protocol.
So the vet has a reason not to fully trust a wold without a medical scholarship, but the point here is that he's acting like a complete jerk and treats Elaine as if she were a cub 'playing mommy' with Bailey as a doll.
Actually that's a point for midwifery, if we're going by history - because midwives only worked with births, their patient's mortality rate was much lower than physicians and surgeons of the period, who frequently dealt with all sorts of other contagions that would then infect the mothers. It was the stark difference between a midwife-led clinic and a physician-led one that led Semmelweis on his quest towards medical hygienics.

One shouldn't knock 'folk medicine' entirely - after all, it's the stuff that works that tends to get passed down from generation to generation. The vet could probably stand to realize that.
"...kindness is its own reward. Paid in ice cream."
RP chars:
Redwall: Rhys Greenbrier
17th CF: Alasdair 'Alec' Ogilvy
valerio

Post by valerio »

Good point, Coyote! Thank you
Panther

Post by Panther »

When someone draws a comic , he creates a personal universe into ; it's the same thing for rick Griffin and "Housepets" : maybe he uses real world for inspiration , but it's all . All french comics are labelled :"- No link to real person" for this reason

It means Bailey and King's wedding isn't weird because it's in "Housepets" universe . King has surely wanted this wedding to make his relationship with Bailey more official , as the gift of the ring (and it was surely the same with Sabrina and Jata) ................................... And it means too that the vet is a jerk by saying such things to Elaine , same too with his very personal thoughts , BECAUSE we're in the "Housepets" universe :geek: :ugeek:
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Yet the in-universe reaction to this wedding was that it is weird. :3

I think it's interesting that, so far, one's interpretation of the vet seems influenced by one's understanding of medical science and the necessity of his questions.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

I do hope they are forced to work together so as to cause the vet to have to accept Elaine's skills despite her lack of formal education :D
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I have a feeling he's gonna get punched in the face and chased from the house. :P
Panther

Post by Panther »

Dissension wrote:Yet the in-universe reaction to this wedding was that it is weird. :3
It's weird , just for the vet being worry "about families that spoil their pets to this degree" . Never seen other reactions , or i've missed it
Obbl wrote:I do hope they are forced to work together so as to cause the vet to have to accept Elaine's skills despite her lack of formal education :D
Ferals doesn't need formal education for it , they knows naturally how to act for . I doubt Snow or Lucretia have called a vet to give birth to their pups ?
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Dissension wrote:Yet the in-universe reaction to this wedding was that it is weird. :3

I think it's interesting that, so far, one's interpretation of the vet seems influenced by one's understanding of medical science and the necessity of his questions.
Could be because hostility is easier than understanding. Also, many of us hold very high ideals regarding how things work in the comic and in life, which may not be true in either.

Or it could be the cynical view I tend to have, either one.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Panther wrote:
It's weird , just for the vet being worry "about families that spoil their pets to this degree" . Never seen other reactions , or i've missed it
Bailey wrote:King, are you crazy?! What are you trying to prove? It's not like anyone takes "pet marriages" seriously!
The scare quotes indicate that the words "pet marriage" are nonstandard or not a phrase that Bailey herself would normally use, so even Bailey thinks the concept is odd.
Panther wrote:Ferals doesn't need formal education for it , they knows naturally how to act for . I doubt Snow or Lucretia have called a vet to give birth to their pups ?
Yes, that was indeed my point. I hope the vet comes to the same conclusion :D
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Elaine would likely want to be a vet after this, but only to learn what the heck he was talking about. Now just imagine her speaking moonspeak :3

I imagine pets are well aware that pet marriages are weird and probably don't care for them as much as King and Bailey at this point. I theorize that pets go the same route as Miles and Lucretia and claim mates, but also have to go through human legal matters as to who they live with, if the owners are ok with it, and the same way Bill points it out - who gets custody of any children they have afterwards. However, at the same time, it opens up a neat possibility of pets getting interested in doing marriages in the future as well to the point that Keene mightbe looking to do something about it.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Panther

Post by Panther »

Obbl wrote:
Panther wrote:
Bailey wrote:King, are you crazy?! What are you trying to prove? It's not like anyone takes "pet marriages" seriously!
The scare quotes indicate that the words "pet marriage" are nonstandard or not a phrase that Bailey herself would normally use, so even Bailey thinks the concept is odd.
Don't take a pet marriages seriously doesn't mean peoples thinks it's weird ; i think more they sees it as a "fantaisy" :?:
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

It doesn't help that in real life there ARE people that do that and come off as really wacky.