2015/12/18 - Gimme The News

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

2015/12/18 - Gimme The News

Post by Obbl »

[ Gimme The News ]

Title Text: milk fever is also the name of a short-lived 70s dance craze

Now, now, young lady, these are perfectly crommulent words the man is speaking :P
Gbr23

Re: 2015/12/18 - Gimme The News

Post by Gbr23 »

Ok now you´re just bragging Mr Vet
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
IdleCurator

Post by IdleCurator »

That's it this vet has overstayed his welcome, off with his head.
Hi Hi Pie
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Dangerous pressure in the room;
elevated and getting higher.
Pulsing, pushing, driving heat;
worrying through to others.
He's being a pain, this vet;
looking to prove his worth.
By a Wolf he won't be beat,
even forgetting his patient.
He's proving himself inferior
in his bid to be superior.
Elaine's holding her nerves;
more than the Doc deserves.
He may not be seen again;
fair do's – he's a pain.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Can't believe that the wolves are actually being restrained about this guy.
ChekeBello

Post by ChekeBello »

What is Milk Fever? I dont think in my country we translate it literally so I dont get what it refers to P=

I dont see why he had to be so technical with his sentences, pretty sure he can say the same with more common wording; stop messing with Elaine, you well-marbled vet! ¬¬
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

It causes low calcium levels in the blood which can be a dangerous thing.

Though I thought it can only happen to cows.
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Maybe you should go to medical school, Elaine. :lol:
Frank

Post by Frank »

The vet's sole purpose in life is to antagonize midwives, isn't it? I don't think I like him that much anymore
ChekeBello wrote:What is Milk Fever? I dont think in my country we translate it literally so I dont get what it refers to
postparturient hypocalcemia
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Bailey needs to FACE this vet like she did to Bino a couple of years ago. :P
valerio

Post by valerio »

...and then King decides to talk and put to use Joel's studies and out-speak the supremacist vet...
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Frank wrote:The vet's sole purpose in life is to antagonize midwives, isn't it? I don't think I like him that much anymore
ChekeBello wrote:What is Milk Fever? I dont think in my country we translate it literally so I dont get what it refers to
postparturient hypocalcemia
And this one too.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

valerio wrote:...and then King decides to talk and put to use Joel's studies and out-speak the supremacist vet...
Dude, I would love to see King make use of that kind of knowledge. He did mention going to college one time.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
John-056

Post by John-056 »

That Vet is just asking for a severely empty wallet courtesy of Keene Milton finding a way to get him fired. :x

I mean, does he tell that techno babble to humans? NO! Most humans don't even know what the Hek he's saying unless they worked for a diploma in medical/veterinary work! Yet here he is trying to prove that he's better than someone who's had years of experience dealing with pupbirth/childbirth! :evil:

If he's trying to anger quite a few people, it's working. And I hope King uses info from Joel's college days to give this Human Supremacist a sound verbal thrashing... :D And if that don't Work, either have Keene wreck his chances of working anywhere near animals or medical (Long Term punishment) :twisted: :twisted: or just have Deadeye chuck him out (Short and sweet). :lol:

Nothing's more embarrassing than having a blind wolf with outdoor survival skills throw you out of a house while you've got the advantage of sight and medical knowledge. :lol:
On the next... Wire in the Blood...
HSDVGDGFWGFWHGVMBHGWY*Ded*
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

...I still like the vet :P
ImageImageImageImage
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

CHAOKOCartoons wrote:...I still like the vet :P
Yeah, me too.
Jakkal

Post by Jakkal »

John-056 wrote:
I mean, does he tell that techno babble to humans? NO!
But when someone says "I am a midwife", you expect them to know these terms.

I am on the side of the vet, too.
valerio

Post by valerio »

Jakkal wrote:
John-056 wrote:
I mean, does he tell that techno babble to humans? NO!
But when someone says "I am a midwife", you expect them to know these terms.

I am on the side of the vet, too.
As far as midwifing goes, this practice among humans was, for a very long time, performed without the least intimate medical knowledge, just experience born out of 'trial-and-error' mixed with instincts. For example, even among skilled physicians, it took as long as NINETEENTH century before a physician by the name of Ignác Fülöp Semmelweis realized that many women died of childbirth due to infection caused by lack of hygiene. It was after his frustrated attempts to convince his fellows that new measures were finally added to the surgeon and medical protocol.
So the vet has a reason not to fully trust a wold without a medical scholarship, but the point here is that he's acting like a complete jerk and treats Elaine as if she were a cub 'playing mommy' with Bailey as a doll.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

valerio wrote:but the point here is that he's acting like a complete jerk and treats Elaine as if she were a cub 'playing mommy' with Bailey as a doll.
Uh... no he's not.
DaveL

Post by DaveL »

I just wonder how long it takes to actually deliver the pups. Like how long it was since Bailey had broke the water? And they're still arguing who is more qualified to stay.
valerio

Post by valerio »

SuperStar wrote:
valerio wrote:but the point here is that he's acting like a complete jerk and treats Elaine as if she were a cub 'playing mommy' with Bailey as a doll.
Uh... no he's not.
wonder how can you say that.

And labor in a 'morph dog can last quite differently respect to a human's...not to mention that so far it doesn't look like much time has passed since Bailey's waters broke, so all right for now
bjchan95

Post by bjchan95 »

Considering you've only spoken like one other time Elaine I'm surprised of how observant you are :lol:
I'm very active on the Housepets! wikia, I've created a lot of articles and help keep it up-to-date! Come and help support us! http://www.housepetscomic.wikia.com
valerio

Post by valerio »

One thing for sure, Elaine is SO gonna give King a hard time for calling a vet and causing her through this -though unintended- humiliation...
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

valerio wrote:
SuperStar wrote:
Uh... no he's not.
wonder how can you say that.

And labor in a 'morph dog can last quite differently respect to a human's...not to mention that so far it doesn't look like much time has passed since Bailey's waters broke, so all right for now
He's talking sense to her.
And what's this about labor being different? What does that matter, this guy is a vet, he knows what he's talking about.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

I must say, I'm impressed that Rick knows all those medical terms!
ChekeBello wrote:What is Milk Fever? I dont think in my country we translate it literally so I dont get what it refers to P=
Milk Fever, also known as Eclampsia, is low calcium levels in the blood, usually caused by not having enough calcium in your diet at the time of pregnancy, giving birth or lactating (producing milk). Interestingly the name is a misnomer as it doesn't cause a fever at all - rather it causes a reduced body temperature and shaking (muscle fasciculations if you want the medical term). As my lecturer pointed out, a better name for Milk Fever might be "Cold Milkshake". :P

If you guys are interested, here's what the other medical terms are:

Mastitis: Inflammation (swelling/redness/soreness) or infection of the mammary glands (teats/breasts).
Hypoglycaemia: Low blood sugar.
PTH Deficiency Resulting in Calcium Loss: PTH is Parathyroid Hormone. It's one of the main hormones that regulates calcium levels in the blood. So if you don't have enough parathyroid hormone then you can have low calcium levels in your blood (i.e. milk fever).

My opinion of the vet? Well, he's good at his job and has the knowledge. He just needs to learn how to talk to people and pets.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

valerio

Post by valerio »

SuperStar wrote:He's talking sense to her.
And what's this about labor being different? What does that matter, this guy is a vet, he knows what he's talking about.
Is he saying the correct things as far as medics go? YES
Is he acting rude like heck to someone who KNOWS how to midwife? YES
The fact that one is good at his job shouldn't include rudeness. In fact, if a doctor were rude to a patient, if that patient was human, doc could be easily sued. The fact that in US animals cannot sue or complain in legal terms doesn't mean that this guy must act like a jerk to them. It's a question of basic good manners.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

valerio wrote:
SuperStar wrote:He's talking sense to her.
Is he saying the correct things as far as medics go? YES
Is he acting rude like heck to someone who KNOWS how to midwife? YES
The fact that one is good at his job shouldn't include rudeness. In fact, if a doctor were rude to a patient, if that patient was human, doc could be easily sued. The fact that in US animals cannot sue or complain in legal terms doesn't mean that this guy must act like a jerk to them. It's a question of basic good manners.
But I don't see how he's acting like a jerk, he's asking reasonable questions. Honestly, if anyone is being rude I think it's Elaine. Upon hearing that Elaine was a midwife, he asked her reasonable medical questions to see how things were going, and upon hearing that she didn't seem to be doing the right stuff(and cracking a joke in the middle of it) I'm not surprised he asked her to leave(with the rest of the family), and now he's still trying to explain the matters to her. The Vet is being more or less tolerable, Elaine is the one getting grumpy and shouting.
Jakkal

Post by Jakkal »

valerio wrote: Is he acting rude like heck to someone who KNOWS how to midwife? YES
Define "knows" I define knowledge, by knowing the complication and how to deal with them in the ideal way.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Elaine, stop being such a cat in the laser panel =3

Vets usually aren't jerks, but this vet clearly tells me he's the no-nonsense type and wants to make sure Elaine is up-to-speed on his level. I'm just surprised he didn't ask her if she ever performed deliveries before?

Also, I'm with Hlaoroo - Rick knows his medical stuff. I figured at this point I would at least know what medical terms go on into pets at this point with a vet, but then again, we don't get to visit a vet much these days where i live =\
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
valerio

Post by valerio »

Jakkal wrote:
valerio wrote:Is he acting rude like heck to someone who KNOWS how to midwife? YES
Define "knows" I define knowledge, by knowing the complication and how to deal with them in the ideal way.
6 living cubs (three from Lucretia, three from snow) tell that Elaine and Mom Wolf know how to do their job. Now, given they used to live in the wild most of their lives, it is plausible there were complications that you wouldn't find in a hospital, but STILL it doesn't mean the midwives in the pack are incompetents.
As for 'ideal', even the most skilled doctors lose patients from time to time, so NO, 'ideal' is good for philosophy. What one can do, given the knowledge and technologies, is one's best. And the wolves work good, considering where they come from: Good enough for King (who still retains his memories and experiences as human) would trust them to do most of the job, leaving the vet as consultant -while the vet, instead, bullied his way in
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

SuperStar wrote:But I don't see how he's acting like a jerk, he's asking reasonable questions. Honestly, if anyone is being rude I think it's Elaine. Upon hearing that Elaine was a midwife, he asked her reasonable medical questions to see how things were going, and upon hearing that she didn't seem to be doing the right stuff(and cracking a joke in the middle of it) I'm not surprised he asked her to leave(with the rest of the family), and now he's still trying to explain the matters to her. The Vet is being more or less tolerable, Elaine is the one getting grumpy and shouting.
But he isn't doing that in this strip. In panel #2 he finds out that, if he uses straight English, Elaine not only knows what he's talking about but also knows how to look for it, what the symptoms are and how to treat it. She just doesn't know the scientific terms. With this in mind he pulls the move of a pure jerk by going straight back into the scientific terms. Essentially he's pulling a 'Myaah, I know more than you' move at exactly the time he should be building a relationship with someone who knows enough to assist and has done so before.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

GameCobra wrote:Also, I'm with Hlaoroo - Rick knows his medical stuff. I figured at this point I would at least know what medical terms go on into pets at this point with a vet, but then again, we don't get to visit a vet much these days where i live =\
One thing I forgot to mention before, dog body temperatures are normally at 101-103F(38.5-39.5C) but they do drop a degree or two as the dog goes into labour and once the temperature drops the dog gives birth within an hour. So Rick has definitely done his research here!
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

valerio

Post by valerio »

GameCobra wrote:Elaine, stop being such a cat in the laser panel =3
Vets usually aren't jerks, but this vet clearly tells me he's the no-nonsense type and wants to make sure Elaine is up-to-speed on his level. I'm just surprised he didn't ask her if she ever performed deliveries before?
He did, and with an even worse attitude:
Argent

Post by Argent »

Hlaoroo wrote:Milk Fever, also known as Eclampsia, is low calcium levels in the blood
I thought it was mainly caused by high blood pressure. Low calcium can be a contributing factor.

In humans at least.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

valerio wrote:
GameCobra wrote:Elaine, stop being such a cat in the laser panel =3
He did, and with an even worse attitude:
Again, I don't see him acting rude here.
valerio

Post by valerio »

he's implying that she knows nothing about whelping.
Rude.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

valerio wrote:He did, and with an even worse attitude:
Well actually, he asked if she knew what went into a birth. But he is being hard on her by slapping the book on her. to me, it's also his attempt to get her out of way so he can perform the delivery.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

valerio wrote:he's implying that she knows nothing about whelping.
Rude.
He is not implying that, he's asking honest reasonable questions to see if she knows enough.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Argent wrote:
Hlaoroo wrote:Milk Fever, also known as Eclampsia, is low calcium levels in the blood
I thought it was mainly caused by high blood pressure. Low calcium can be a contributing factor.

In humans at least.
I've never heard of it being that way in the vet world.

Eclampsia is technically speaking the massive contractions happening in severe milk fever. It's always a result of hypocalcaemia (low blood calcium) in animals. According to google though, humans do get it as a result of high blood pressure around pregnancy/birth. I guess humans are just weird. :P

Funnily enough, in the Merck Vet Manual, there are sections about eclampsia/milk fever in cattle, horses, dogs... And hedgehogs. :P
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Argent

Post by Argent »

Hlaoroo wrote:I guess humans are just weird. :P
The human uterus is really weird and nobody's quite sure why. It's almost like humans are from another world.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @