2015/12/25 - Idylls Of The King

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Cesco

Re: 2015/12/25 - Idylls Of The King

Post by Cesco »

Yes! A warm welcome to the puppies! :D They're here, with all their cuteness! I like their names. :D Ah, but you cheated to us too about their number, Bailey. :P ;) Say again that's a joke... Poor King. :) And finally, it's Christmas time! What a lovely scene! :D Well said, King, you're so happy with that! :D Well, do a favour to Jack, believing that's true. :P
This comic strip is awesome, one of the best. :D King's expressions are always cool. :P Great idea for the time transition till Christmas. :)
BBally

Post by BBally »

This is just adorable :D

It's great to see King's life improve so much after what he's been through.
Bucky-Roo

Post by Bucky-Roo »

YES! FINALLY. :D
Merry Christmas everybody!

I honestly can't wait for these puppies to progress and grow. But for now, *gasp* PUPPIESARESOCUTE!!
Hello, my baby
Hello, my honey
Hello, my ragtime gaaal
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

Zhiro wrote:Hold everything!! Just to be safe before any possible error that could be made. Why do all the puppies have floppy ears? Both there parents have pointy ears not floppy.
You have . . . SEEN puppies before, right? Puppy ears flop, especially if they're of large-ear breeds. They sometimes take up to a year before they stand up all the way straight. Flop-ears are the way they are because the breed's ears are SO large (Or thin or what have you) they never stand up all the way.
Ibuuyk wrote: Riiight. That would explain the mutt-looking pup but not the Doberman/Rottweiler. I'm sorry but no matter how much you look at it, Corgi + Husky != Doberman/Rottweiler. That's just not how dogs work. If you mix the races, you'll either get the mom or dad's race, a mix or a mutt. Bailey doesn't look like a mix or mutt, and neither does King so that pup's just not possible unless she cheated on him with the proper race.
That's just her muzzle, most of her belly is white. King's back is black, mixed with Bailey's high instance of dark fur, plus chance. Dogs quite often exhibit recessive genetic characteristics. For instance, my dog Apollo is nearly all-white, and he's a collie. He looks nothing like either of his tricolor parents besides the collie fluff, and even then he's larger and has a more pronounced wolf nose. His parents were owned by breeders; are you gonna claim that they somehow cheated in order to get a white collie? And you know apparent fur patterns have a tendency to shift as a pup matures, too?

Merry Christmas I guess
I'm sure the cold hand of science will be able to overcome his magical powers
Liam

Post by Liam »

Happy Puppymas, everyone!
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
drivernjax

Post by drivernjax »

NoSoyFurry wrote:
ascdren wrote:
Ibuuyk wrote:I think we can all agree that the reason one of the pups look nothing like them (looking at you, random Doberman/Rottweiler) is because Bailey cheated on King with Kevin.
No, just no. No no no no no.
Did I mention no?
But can we consider this for a second? Olive doesn't resemble King or Bailey.
Actually, if you look closely at King, you'll see that he's a tri-color Pembroke Welsh Corgi. One of those colors is very similar to Olive's major color and she also has his tan color. Genetics doesn't simply mean transferring exact duplicate coloration from parent to child/pup. Genetics is VERY complicated. As I stated in another post, you could have a tall (long legged) Corgi, a short Husky or any number of 1,000+ different possible combinations in this pairing.
Not A Furry

Post by Not A Furry »

rickgriffin wrote:
Zhiro wrote:Hold everything!! Just to be safe before any possible error that could be made. Why do all the puppies have floppy ears? Both there parents have pointy ears not floppy.
You have . . . SEEN puppies before, right? Puppy ears flop, especially if they're of large-ear breeds. They sometimes take up to a year before they stand up all the way straight. Flop-ears are the way they are because the breed's ears are SO large (Or thin or what have you) they never stand up all the way.
Ibuuyk wrote: Riiight. That would explain the mutt-looking pup but not the Doberman/Rottweiler. I'm sorry but no matter how much you look at it, Corgi + Husky != Doberman/Rottweiler. That's just not how dogs work. If you mix the races, you'll either get the mom or dad's race, a mix or a mutt. Bailey doesn't look like a mix or mutt, and neither does King so that pup's just not possible unless she cheated on him with the proper race.
That's just her muzzle, most of her belly is white. King's back is black, mixed with Bailey's high instance of dark fur, plus chance. Dogs quite often exhibit recessive genetic characteristics. For instance, my dog Apollo is nearly all-white, and he's a collie. He looks nothing like either of his tricolor parents besides the collie fluff, and even then he's larger and has a more pronounced wolf nose. His parents were owned by breeders; are you gonna claim that they somehow cheated in order to get a white collie? And you know apparent fur patterns have a tendency to shift as a pup matures, too?

Merry Christmas I guess
Well that clears that up, merry christmas and thank you for making this awesome comic!
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

This is a comic with a purple-colored cat - something tells me that a black and tan (or rather slate blue and tan) corgi isn't the weirdest thing in the comic. :P

Plus those are Bailey's and King's colors mixed together - it's sweet. =3
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
TheOne
Location: Trapped in the center of the Galaxy. Need a starship to get out!

Post by TheOne »

I don't know about anyone else, but I keep thinking...

...when I hear people guessing about where the name "Olive" came from.

Merry Christmas to all!

As for the color scheme thing... No cheating, just no. Bailey is mostly grey and white, but many huskies have black, brown, and red variants. These can lie dormant in the genetics and seemingly can be suppressed by breeding, but the possibility is still there, and can be activated if the breeds are mixed. If any of Bailey's parents, grandparents, great-grandparents, etc (back and back and back) had black fur, then Bailey's pups could logically have black fur. As for King, he had papers, but we don't know the exact genepool that Pete selected from to create King's form. Papers only mean that the last (someone help me out with the exact number, I think it's 3) generations have been from the same breed. Before that, there could have been another breed in the mix that has been suppressed by breeding. So if the genepool that Pete chose to make King from had rottweiler (or wolverine) in there somewhere, then it could have resurfaced in King's pups.
Dag nabbed petty annoyances...
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

I love the eye and nose shine Rick incorporated in this strip. Makes them look more real. :)
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Wolfbane

Post by Wolfbane »

I hate to be that guy, but are we not going to mention the present up front and center on the last panel? Who is it from? Why is seemingly focused on with that angle? It's the only one that has a tag I can read...

*puts on tinfoil hat*
Argent

Post by Argent »

ascdren wrote:
Argent wrote:Next question is... how much time passed between panels five and seven? The seem quite active for newborns. I guess panel six is a montage of late summer through winter.
Seeing as bailey entered labour in august and the final panels are december 4 months
4 months in one panel, is that a record?
TheOne wrote:As for King, he had papers, but we don't know the exact genepool that Pete selected from to create King's form.
Great Kitsune said that King was all corgi.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
tsMKG

Post by tsMKG »

Argent wrote:Great Kitsune said that King was all corgi.
Yup! pre-HNE King is not the same as post-HNE King.

Just like when we divide other characters chronologically.
Have you been looking at the thing above this? Dis is my old signature and is not relevant anymore.
Panther

Post by Panther »

Cute puppies , Bailey ; congratulations . LOVE King's OMG face in the fourth panel :lol:

*slaps Jack's muzzle*

Merry christmas to all

darkclaw

Post by darkclaw »

I just love king's faces. omg. He's still my fave character. I'm sure that I'm going to love the puppies. squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

tsMKG wrote:
Argent wrote:Great Kitsune said that King was all corgi.
Yup! pre-HNE King is not the same as post-HNE King.

Just like when we divide other characters chronologically.
It says right here that he's purebred, https://www.facebook.com/OfficialHousep ... 0360923988
Adoring Fan

Post by Adoring Fan »

First to the moderators - Sorry the Squee went a bit long i just assumed that your forum would divide it among several lines.

Now everyone else!

This is the moment Ive been waiting for forever! I could swear all those names were brought up before as ideas on these forums so i think it shows that Rick defiantly gathers ideas from his fans :D
King probably has the single most enthralling story of any of these characters and that's amazing since he wasn't even part of the original cast. The puppies are so cute! Now i am looking for Peanut and grape to get together ;)
Image Image
cuteycindyhoney

Post by cuteycindyhoney »

Super sappy or not, King said just exactly the right thing. He and Bailey look so happy and content.
The animated signature I've used for years is too big for this forum! When I get time, I'll have to deconstruct it and make it smaller!
drivernjax

Post by drivernjax »

Adoring Fan wrote:First to the moderators - Sorry the Squee went a bit long i just assumed that your forum would divide it among several lines.

Now everyone else!

This is the moment Ive been waiting for forever! I could swear all those names were brought up before as ideas on these forums so i think it shows that Rick defiantly gathers ideas from his fans :D
King probably has the single most enthralling story of any of these characters and that's amazing since he wasn't even part of the original cast. The puppies are so cute! Now i am looking for Peanut and grape to get together ;)
Uh, you do know that Grape is a cat and Peanut is a dog, right? I don't know if that would work in this universe. (Although I have seen stranger things in other webcomic universes.)
dmichel

Post by dmichel »

:?: so she was in laying down on the bed from august to December?i mean when they began "preparing" for thanksgiving yet we didn't see a comic for that but then she gave birth December so she was laying down for 4'1/2 months that's a lot of time laying down. :?:

king has three colors white brown and black and the pups all have those colors so whats the problem?

Mod Edit: Please do not double post. If you wish to add new information to a thread and yours is its most recent reply, you may use the edit button in its upper right corner.
SmileWolf

Post by SmileWolf »

Awesome story ending! Thanks for the Christmas gift, Rick! And for those debating the puppies looks... If this is possible, anything is:

http://m.imgur.com/M7M0frY
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

dmichel wrote: :?: so she was in laying down on the bed from august to December?i mean when they began "preparing" for thanksgiving yet we didn't see a comic for that but then she gave birth December so she was laying down for 4'1/2 months that's a lot of time laying down. :?:
The birth happened in August. Christmas was months later, which is why the puppies are far more active than newborns would be.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
CrepuscularKitten

Post by CrepuscularKitten »

One thing I loved around this latest comic is that it circled back around to the marriage proposal In "All I want for Christmas" and "is you".

Not only did both the proposal and this latest strip end with a Merry Christmas, but the three faces that King makes as the children are being born feels like a direct nod to the faces that Bailey makes whenever King proposes to her (See below). Also, when asked if King wants his presents he says, "I got mine already". This also seems to nod to the title of the proposal strips.

Beautifully executed.

http://www.housepetscomic.com/2012/12/25/is-you/
http://www.housepetscomic.com/2015/12/2 ... -the-king/

P.S> Pardon any spelling errors or brevity, as this is from a mobile device. Merry Christmas to all!
Frank

Post by Frank »

Aw mah @#$% gawd!! They're so %&@* cute! I
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
Alucai Vivorvel

Post by Alucai Vivorvel »

Merry Christmas!

I just had a big d'awwww moment at seeing those pups! :3
Trey

Post by Trey »

Best christmas present ever, we got the pups guys <3
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Ahhhhh So adorable! :D Glad this finally happened!
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

So many people are posting that haven't been around. I wonder what the occasion is, :roll:
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Wolfbane wrote:I hate to be that guy, but are we not going to mention the present up front and center on the last panel? Who is it from? Why is seemingly focused on with that angle? It's the only one that has a tag I can read...

*puts on tinfoil hat*
I assume it's the one Jack is saying they spent money on, which King has indicated he doesn't care to open.
it's a pet Parrot :3
dmichel wrote: :?: so she was in laying down on the bed from august to December?i mean when they began "preparing" for thanksgiving yet we didn't see a comic for that but then she gave birth December so she was laying down for 4'1/2 months that's a lot of time laying down. :?:
Arcs usually completely take place around the time the first strip is published. but since Bailey had been pregnant so long, Rick had to back this one up to mid-August, which is when the entire labor and birth takes place. after panel 4 in this strip, there is an implied time skip to Christmas, 4 months later.

as for the arguments(that Rick actually already debunked) about the fur colorings: 1, we don't know Bailey's parentage. 2, just cause a dog is a purebred doesn't mean both parents had the same fur pattern, allowing for there to be recessive fur pattern genes that can pop up. 3, King may be purebred Pembroke Corgi (which does sort of imply the parents had the same fur pattern), but he's a magical purebred Pembroke corgi. we don't know that his genes work exactly the same in that respect, just that they act as corgi genes.

and 4, Rick's argument :3
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:as for the arguments(that Rick actually already debunked) about the fur colorings: 1, we don't know Bailey's parentage. 2, just cause a dog is a purebred doesn't mean both parents had the same fur pattern, allowing for there to be recessive fur pattern genes that can pop up. 3, King may be purebred Pembroke Corgi (which does sort of imply the parents had the same fur pattern), but he's a magical purebred Pembroke corgi. we don't know that his genes work exactly the same in that respect, just that they act as corgi genes.

and 4, Rick's argument :3
Also the lighting is casting a brown tint on everything, and Olive appears to be mostly in shadow meaning we don't know for sure what her true coloring is. It may be a more cream color instead of the tanish brown that it appears (which would make her very nearly Bailey-colored). Rick, himself, claims to be poor at color matching, so it may not be a perfect representation of what color is in his head. ;)
Argent

Post by Argent »

tsMKG wrote:Just like when we divide other characters chronologically.
Better than dividing them symmetrically!
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
ConvoyWolf

Post by ConvoyWolf »

Think im gonna cry. Those pups are so adorable as is Kings expressions! Im loving all of this!
Adoring Fan

Post by Adoring Fan »

drivernjax wrote:
Adoring Fan wrote:First to the moderators - Sorry the Squee went a bit long i just assumed that your forum would divide it among several lines.

Now everyone else!

Uh, you do know that Grape is a cat and Peanut is a dog, right? I don't know if that would work in this universe. (Although I have seen stranger things in other webcomic universes.)
So? Fido is a dog and Sabrina is a cat! They don't have to have kids to end up together!
Image Image
drivernjax

Post by drivernjax »

Adoring Fan wrote:
drivernjax wrote:

Now everyone else!

So? Fido is a dog and Sabrina is a cat! They don't have to have kids to end up together!
True, but Peanut has a g/f and Grape does have a b/f. But, hey, who know. Right? "There are stranger things in heaven and earth".
Frank

Post by Frank »

Notice the third-last panel. Summer fades into autumn fades into winter, indicating the passage of time.
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
Arvanas

Post by Arvanas »

valerio wrote:Reincarnated Dragon and Pete are bound to return. But NOT as part of King's family. That strip was put there for the explicit purpose to put at ease King's and our worries on that matter. Furthermore, Kitsune showed to be the most benevolent entity -granted, one with a twisted sense of humor, but benevolent nonetheless. He wouldn't just involve innocent new lives for the sake of a game that is over and done.
Just enjoy the fact that everyone's favorite corgi deserved to become a happy daddy, with no side effects^^
Oh, and Kitsune is not 'hanging around'. He's everywhere, always, like he usually does.

If the strip was put there to place our minds at ease, why does Kitsunes statue say "Or is it?". I think the whole purpose of the strip was to just get people to stop asking Rick what was going to happen to Dragon and Pete. It makes sense that he would confuse us like that and not flat out tell us what is happening. As far as I'm concerned and am proven wrong. Those puppies have the souls of Dragon and Pete in them.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Arvanas wrote:If the strip was put there to place our minds at ease, why does Kitsunes statue say "Or is it?". I think the whole purpose of the strip was to just get people to stop asking Rick what was going to happen to Dragon and Pete. It makes sense that he would confuse us like that and not flat out tell us what is happening. As far as I'm concerned and am proven wrong. Those puppies have the souls of Dragon and Pete in them.
if you wanna look at it that way, Kitsune loves being ambiguous. Taking his word for it is like trusting a trickster, but for intents and purposes, Kitsune pretty much left King alone after the end of the Heaven's Not Enough arc, so him trolling King isn't suppose to be considered serious, just casual trolling.

On another note, you have to remember also that the god's time is subjective and Cerberus pretty much proved that. For them, Several years is like a week to them. who can say Dragon and Pete won't be reincarnated until a specific time?
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Panther

Post by Panther »

Frank wrote:
Notice the third-last panel. Summer fades into autumn fades into winter, indicating the passage of time.
Good point
Arvanas wrote:
valerio wrote:Reincarnated Dragon and Pete are bound to return. But NOT as part of King's family. That strip was put there for the explicit purpose to put at ease King's and our worries on that matter. Furthermore, Kitsune showed to be the most benevolent entity -granted, one with a twisted sense of humor, but benevolent nonetheless. He wouldn't just involve innocent new lives for the sake of a game that is over and done.
Just enjoy the fact that everyone's favorite corgi deserved to become a happy daddy, with no side effects^^
Oh, and Kitsune is not 'hanging around'. He's everywhere, always, like he usually does.

If the strip was put there to place our minds at ease, why does Kitsunes statue say "Or is it?". I think the whole purpose of the strip was to just get people to stop asking Rick what was going to happen to Dragon and Pete. It makes sense that he would confuse us like that and not flat out tell us what is happening. As far as I'm concerned and am proven wrong. Those puppies have the souls of Dragon and Pete in them.
Remember it :

https://www.housepetscomic.com/2014/09/ ... ion-prize/
https://www.housepetscomic.com/2014/10/ ... in-heaven/

I doubt honestly (and even in "Housepets" universe) that a dog can live for sixty years minimum . I think more about Dragon and Pete being themselves but mortals , or maybe reincarnated as humans ? It's up to Rick ;)
CosmicCoyote

Post by CosmicCoyote »

Arvanas wrote:If the strip was put there to place our minds at ease, why does Kitsunes statue say "Or is it?". I think the whole purpose of the strip was to just get people to stop asking Rick what was going to happen to Dragon and Pete. It makes sense that he would confuse us like that and not flat out tell us what is happening. As far as I'm concerned and am proven wrong. Those puppies have the souls of Dragon and Pete in them.
So what, Olive is Dragon because Dragon was green like an olive? And Rook is Pete because a rookery is where a bird flock resides? Is Ace Cerberus, coming down to keep an eye on them? :P

Kitsune's a trickster deity - as he says here, it's kind of his 'thing' to make simple things complicated and ambiguous - but he's never malicious about it. Yes, he's never straightforward and is occasionally unhelpful, but he also never outright lies. For him to say that they wouldn't be reincarnated as King's children and then turn around and do so anyway would be something seriously out of character.

...though this talk about ages does make me wonder. Is King a 20-something year old dog? Or is he the equivalent to a 20-something year old would be as a dog?
"...kindness is its own reward. Paid in ice cream."
RP chars:
Redwall: Rhys Greenbrier
17th CF: Alasdair 'Alec' Ogilvy
tsMKG

Post by tsMKG »

The age thing is very complicated on Housepets! :?

Fox's age is particularly breaking my mind.
Have you been looking at the thing above this? Dis is my old signature and is not relevant anymore.