2016/01/13 - The Third Comic With Ninjas, Probably

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Re: 2016/01/13 - The Third Comic With Ninjas, Probably

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

the comics code wass basically like a rating system for comics. publishers sent their comics to the Comics Code Authority, and if they followed the right rules they'd get a seal of approval and parents and advertisers could know what they were buying/supporting without having to read the whole comic.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Argent

Post by Argent »

Basically, there were a lot of "detective" comics that had a lot of explicit violence and nudity and there was a huge push-back against "cartoon violence". They were talking about having regulations and so the comics industry set up a "comics code" that banned anything considered dodgy in mid-20th-century America.

Meanwhile it was still perfectly OK for Bugs to dress up as a girl and marry Elmer, and Jerry cutting Tom into slices didn't raise an eyebrow.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Unusuallynamedperson

Post by Unusuallynamedperson »

Argent wrote:Basically, there were a lot of "detective" comics that had a lot of explicit violence and nudity and there was a huge push-back against "cartoon violence". They were talking about having regulations and so the comics industry set up a "comics code" that banned anything considered dodgy in mid-20th-century America.

Meanwhile it was still perfectly OK for Bugs to dress up as a girl and marry Elmer, and Jerry cutting Tom into slices didn't raise an eyebrow.
Okay, this conversation is getting weird. :lol:
Besides that level of violence was nowhere near what it is at today, and still their haven't really been any societal issues from it. At least I don't think so, but I could be wrong.
If I hit someone with a dictionary is that physical, or verbal assault?
https://discord.gg/2Kwwv Housepets Discord link repaired!
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:OK I'm confused and I don't really read a lot of comics. What is the comic code?
It was, basically, censorship. The government wanted comics controlled and, if the publishers didn't do it, the government would. So the COMICS CODE AUTHORITY (CCA) was set up. The publishers sent their comics in and they were judged on art, violence, morals and other watchwords of the day. If they passed, the comic got a little badge for the cover telling everyone (parents) that it was safe for others (children) to read. Marvel dumped it in the 2000's and, by 2010, is was obsolete as no-one was using it.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm assuming that this was around the time that there was a censorship on movies also?