Macsen

Re: 2016/06/03 - End of Year Eight

Post by Macsen »

Somebody tried to off Keene.

And I still think Mr. Steward has something to do with it. :evil:
Argent

Post by Argent »

Gosh darn, Keene, you forgot the letter for Fox!

Or is it in your jacket pocket? Oopsie...
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Foreigner

Post by Foreigner »

What if PETA did it? In this case, Keene may ask Fox to investigate incident. Fox will ask King to help investigate this because King knows a lot about PETA... That would be interesting.
My English is bad. Sorry for that.
Unusuallynamedperson

Post by Unusuallynamedperson »

I thought the limo was just left on neutral and rolled off the hill...but murder sounds way more fun!
If I hit someone with a dictionary is that physical, or verbal assault?
https://discord.gg/2Kwwv Housepets Discord link repaired!
HellishK9

Post by HellishK9 »

If this was an assassination attempt, im exited to see who failed the job.

Also on the brighter side, 8 years... wow anyone else feeling a little nostalgic?
Last edited by HellishK9 on Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KingFan13

Post by KingFan13 »

Oh, wow. This was a big surprise. Who would want him dead, and why?

Also, that last panel. It's really good, and shows great emotion. Good work.
Brighttail

Post by Brighttail »

8 years.. wow.

First off congrats to Rick for 8 wonderful years. It has truly been an honour and a privilege to follow your wonderful story throughout these last 8 years.

Concerning this end. I have to say the homage to "All Dogs go to Heaven" is amazing. That last panel with Keene looking back up to Heaven, where he had just spent many days, with that look on his face is telling. Is he looking up to say "thank you" or is he sad that he is no longer in paradise? Or both? Either way I believe this little experience will change how Keene thinks and acts in the future. Hopefully it is for the better.

Thanks again, Rick!
Argent

Post by Argent »

KingFan13 wrote:Oh, wow. This was a big surprise. Who would want him dead, and why?
Steward has been acting dodgy. PETA probably hates his guts. There's no doubt all kinds of skinhead anti-animal-rights groups like there are skinhead anti-FITB-rights groups in our world. There's the horrid Milton cousins. There's business competitors and theme parks. There's the pro-pants movement.

One of my guesses was half right. Car drove off bridge, Keene rescued by an otter on vacation from the zoo.

WHY ISN'T ANYONE ELSE WORRIED ABOUT THE LETTER?
Not A Furry

Post by Not A Furry »

Argent wrote:
KingFan13 wrote:Oh, wow. This was a big surprise. Who would want him dead, and why?
Steward has been acting dodgy. PETA probably hates his guts. There's no doubt all kinds of skinhead anti-animal-rights groups like there are skinhead anti-FITB-rights groups in our world. There's the horrid Milton cousins. There's business competitors and theme parks. There's the pro-pants movement.

One of my guesses was half right. Car drove off bridge, Keene rescued by an otter on vacation from the zoo.

WHY ISN'T ANYONE ELSE WORRIED ABOUT THE LETTER?
Seriously though, where is it? Maybe it will appear when he's safe and dry? Maybe it was water resistant? Maaaaybe it was that piece of paper on the first panel!?!?
gamepopper

Post by gamepopper »

Woah, talk about cut throat business. Someone didn't want the company buyout to go ahead...
Great job Rick! Don't think anyone saw the twist coming...
Nameless coyote

Post by Nameless coyote »

Argent wrote: WHY ISN'T ANYONE ELSE WORRIED ABOUT THE LETTER?
Uh, I was ^^". There is something that looks like a piece of folded paper in the very first panel. Hopefully it's not that, but it doesn't seem like Keene has anything with him. If there was any wake-up memento from Heaven, it might have remained in the limo..

It might not be a physical thing though, not every character had a "gift" after waking up. Maybe he will hear or see something that would confirm it was not a dream. Maybe he simply will know the message to Fox...?
What could possibly go wrong...?
daboross

Post by daboross »

Nameless coyote wrote:
Argent wrote: WHY ISN'T ANYONE ELSE WORRIED ABOUT THE LETTER?
Uh, I was ^^". There is something that looks like a piece of folded paper in the very first panel. Hopefully it's not that, but it doesn't seem like Keene has anything with him. If there was any wake-up memento from Heaven, it might have remained in the limo..

It might not be a physical thing though, not every character had a "gift" after waking up. Maybe he will hear or see something that would confirm it was not a dream. Maybe he simply will know the message to Fox...?
I think the letter was kind of a greenish color? Maybe it manifested differently, but I don't think it's likely that piece of paper shown in the first picture. If it did end up in the car though, maybe we'll see it if/when Keene recovers the crime scene for evidence?

I'm hoping it's waterproof, or that Keene remembers the fact that it exists enough to tell Fox that there *was* a letter, even if he doesn't give him in.
Sansash

Post by Sansash »

OR WAS IT
justacritic

Post by justacritic »

Welp I would feel like a nice comedy arc coming up would be a great way to unwind through this emotional rollercoaster of an arc.

Hope Keene is okay.
Frank

Post by Frank »

leinglo wrote:there needs to be a trustworthy human character introduced (who actually stays human) to stick with the animals and give Keene more direct help from the human side of the aisle.
"Hey Kitsune, we need a--"
"Done"
"What? No, don't turn me into one!"
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
AnimeNerd88

Post by AnimeNerd88 »

Ok, I am legitimately scared now. I'm just going to ask the question everyone is thinking...
WHAT THE IN THE NAME OF ALL THINGS GOOD HAPPENED?!
Let's give it everything we've got! Get ready, because it's Punishment Time!
-Monokuma

What? Even if I like dark topics, I can't resist cuteness.
Furryface18

Post by Furryface18 »

Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhh! What's going on?!?! *runs around screaming* Who done this? :shock:
There's no place like home...except the Housepets home page.
Argent

Post by Argent »

daboross wrote:I think the letter was kind of a greenish color?
Pink, and given to him by the green angel-dog. Maybe the letter is actually the pink angel-dog transformed?
Cable

Post by Cable »

What is dead may never die
Adoring Fan

Post by Adoring Fan »

Douglas Collier wrote:An assassination attempt?!! :o
Very well laid out and emotionally charged strip. :) Awesome work!

I couldn't have said it better myself....

This defiantly explains why he felt woozy, he was drugged. but we already have one obvious suspect, the driver was absent! I wonder if this will push Keene to replace his entire human staff with animals.
Image Image
justacritic

Post by justacritic »

Then again, the windshield was seriously cracked from what seemed to be heavy impact.
Scruff

Post by Scruff »

Poor Keene! It's a dangerous world, he really needs some sort of guardian angel watching over him.

ivoteforbreel
Argent

Post by Argent »

Cable wrote:What is dead may never die
“That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die...”
?
22xander

Post by 22xander »

wait... what?
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

...Ok then
Not A Furry

Post by Not A Furry »

Argent wrote:
daboross wrote:I think the letter was kind of a greenish color?
Pink, and given to him by the green angel-dog. Maybe the letter is actually the pink angel-dog transformed?
IIRC, the green dog was the one interested in Fox, the pink one even said that "He seemed like such a gentledog", implying disappointment

The pink one is only shown with Fox on this one strip

But maybe it was written by both of them?
Argent

Post by Argent »

NoSoyFurry wrote:IIRC, the green dog was the one interested in Fox,
The both seemed to be, that's why he ended up with two pips on his bandanna.
the pink one even said that "He seemed like such a gentledog", implying disappointment
Why does that imply disappointment?

I think they're working a hustle together.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I really don't think Keene's life was attempted at, but at the same time tehre is evidence of it. If there was a motive to this, this no doubt will give Keene the motivation to continue with Milton's work, despite being close to dying. Would be funny if it did turn out to be his relatives again trying to steal his fortune. They are being very petty. =P

My money is on Stewart, but at the same time I'm hoping it's not him. I was hoping there was a cunning high-class animal competing with Keene. Like Dolphins. =3

Also, Happy 8th Anniversary, Rick. :3
Last edited by GameCobra on Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Oh my dog! What a twist! :shock: Certainly, this was an attempt to Keene... :( How did it happen? Are there suspects on the missing driver? Good that Cerberus woke Keene in time, otherwise was really his time... :? Really looking ahead on how's this story is going to continue. ;) The cell phone was in the limo? And not only it, I guess... :| Fox is going to remain single for long time. :P
However, awesome strip and draws! :D That last panel, poor Keene... :| Happy 8th anniversary! :D
Benjamin_Mahir

Post by Benjamin_Mahir »

...OK, the watery grave thing was a curve ball. I was expecting waking up in a hospital with a side order of undetectable poison administered by Stewart. A mob style "drive him into the river" hit was a bit far fetched.

Still, I don't think Stewart was up to this. He has far too subtle means at his disposal than to resort to watery grave. Oh, I'm definitely certain he's poisoning all the ferrets. Probably even authorized the purchase of the "tiger" in the hopes that "lunch" would be a salad full of slinkies. Once a few days of street food, possibly literally, clears up his tiredness I'm certain that Keene will have another few choice words for Stewart.

No, when it comes down to this, I get the feeling that this is the responsibility of Thomas and Celia. They're old, they're bitter. Ferrets don't live that long, so if necessary Stewart could just OUTLIVE the house full of slinkies. Despite some initial splurges, at least three of them seem intent on maintaining/growing their wealth, so there will be plenty left when the time comes for him to declare himself the inheritor of the estate. Thomas and Celia on the other hand would have to sue Stewart, hope for a settlement, and maybe enjoy a few more years of solid food before they're just too old to actually enjoy any amount of wealth.

In any event, I can understand why Cerberus thought it was important to snap him out of his stupor before sending him back. Heaven might seem to be indifferent to the plight of mortals while they are still alive sometimes, but it's really just bad practice to send someone back down to Earth only to have them commit suicide. You can really see it on Keene's face in that last panel. He literally just left Heaven to find himself in a watery grave; if he hadn't had his self of purpose restored to him near the end he may as well have just decided to turn it in early.

As the future... well I've been referencing his "dormant rogue powers" for awhile. I think Keene is going to have to exercise them for awhile on the cruel shores of a distant land where nobody knows his name much less his wealth. Maybe incite a few rebellions or ground movements to animal rights all on his own. And of course get back in time to save one of his siblings.

The real question is how is the little community all our happy little comedy slice of life humor is going to fair with it's biggest defender missing in action. This isn't the first time Keene disappeared, mind you, but things are different. Back then, it was an accident the "traitorous butler" decided to capitalize on, and the community was just a group of pet owners. Now the wolf kids are growing up, King has married someone else's pet and had kids with them, and a community center of sorts for the forest animals has been founded. A lot more riding on Keene's support at the moment than when he disappeared at the zoo for a few months.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Benjamin_Mahir wrote:...OK, the watery grave thing was a curve ball. I was expecting waking up in a hospital with a side order of undetectable poison administered by Stewart.
Steward. He's a steward named Steward. that's why they picked him.
Ferrets don't live that long, so if necessary Stewart could just OUTLIVE the house full of slinkies. Despite some initial splurges, at least three of them seem intent on maintaining/growing their wealth, so there will be plenty left when the time comes for him to declare himself the inheritor of the estate.
Steward is employed by the estate. He's not an owner or a potential inheritor.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

justacritic wrote:Then again, the windshield was seriously cracked from what seemed to be heavy impact.
Impact with the water is always heavy impact (just think of the windshield doing a belly flop) ;)
Bucky-Roo

Post by Bucky-Roo »

Poor Keene
He needs a towel and some hugs
Hello, my baby
Hello, my honey
Hello, my ragtime gaaal
Rikunda

Post by Rikunda »

The last few panels really hurt the heart. The last one the most. It looks so much like "Why did I have to come back? I miss them all already". I know he had wanted to come back to keep working on his dad's dream (and his own), but that last panel is just so heart wrenching. It can be seen so many ways.
Quote:
Mother Teresa wrote:Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat.
Adoring Fan

Post by Adoring Fan »

justacritic wrote:Then again, the windshield was seriously cracked from what seemed to be heavy impact.
You mean like falling off a pier into the water?
Image Image
House42

Post by House42 »

Iceheart wrote:So now Keene is going to be stranded on an island for five years only to return with a vendetta to bring down the list of people his father gave him, as the Green Ferret.
Cue the theme music! Oh, and insert obligatory "You have failed this city!" joke.
Last edited by House42 on Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
AnimeNerd88

Post by AnimeNerd88 »

Ok, I'm going to say it; I don't think it was Thomas or Celia Milton. I am 100% sure that it was the driver that tried to kill him directly since he wasn't in the car. "But what if Thomas disguised himself as the driver and Keene didn't notice? He's disguised himself well before." Is something you may be thinking. Problem is, I checked the only evidence I could find of the driver (i.e. His hand) and the skin colors are completely different, with Thomas' being a kind of orange and the driver's being a bit grey. Of course, this only means that the driver was the one that tried to kill Keene. There is nothing that says the driver wasn't paid off by the Milton humans to kill Keene. Also, I don't think it's Mr. Steward or Jeeves. Other than possible off screen annoyance, neither of them have a motive. That, and neither of their skin tones match the driver's either. Unless there was someone else in the car that was able to drug the driver, I am 100 percent that the direct attempted murderer was the driver. Weather or not Thomas and Celia paid him to, I have no idea, but I know that it has to be the driver! It's the only thing that makes sense!
-Monokuma

Nameless coyote

Post by Nameless coyote »

AnimeNerd88 wrote:Ok, I'm going to say it; I don't think it was Thomas or Celia Milton. I am 100% sure that it was the driver that tried to kill him directly since he wasn't in the car. "But what if Thomas disguised himself as the driver and Keene didn't notice? He's disguised himself well before." Is something you may be thinking. Problem is, I checked the only evidence I could find of the driver (i.e. His hand) and the skin colors are completely different, with Thomas' being a kind of orange and the driver's being a bit grey. Of course, this only means that the driver was the one that tried to kill Keene. There is nothing that says the driver wasn't paid off by the Milton humans to kill Keene. Also, I don't think it's Mr. Steward or Jeeves. Other than possible off screen annoyance, neither of them have a motive. That, and neither of their skin tones match the driver's either. Unless there was someone else in the car that was able to drug the driver, I am 100 percent that the direct attempted murderer was the driver. Weather or not Thomas and Celia paid him to, I have no idea, but I know that it has to be the driver! It's the only thing that makes sense!
Yes, the chauffeur is almost certainly involved - but I'd argue that the reason someone tried to kill Keene is because his actions upset some powerful, influential people. And people like that don't get their hands dirty - there's most likely a chain of middle-men between them and the people who... do the task.
On that basis I am however willing to agree with you: Thomas Milton, as we knew him up to this point, was always directly involved in his plans and has done basically everything by himself. He broke into the Miltons' mansion by himself, he travelled to the desert by himself... Other than that, while he was villainous for sure, murder... dunno, it just doesn't really feel like something he'd attempt, unless he was really desperate. Celia - I'm not sure, she seems slightly more likely to be a suspect among the two, but still...

Also, their motive would be money, which they don't really have. Yes, they've got more than an average citizen, but as far as I remember, they weren't doing really all that well. And seeing how they'd have to get all the ferrets (in a way that doesn't point towards them) and how that still could possibly not be enough, after how well Henry secured his testament... it just doesn't seem really that beneficial to them, cost and risk wise. They're also the obvious first guess.

I'm more willing to believe those, who tried to get Keene killed, were against his work, not after his money..
What could possibly go wrong...?
AnimeNerd88

Post by AnimeNerd88 »

I really hate to be a smart alec, but I never said that it couldn't be that someone else that paid off the driver. Of course, I never said it could, but I still never said it couldn't. Also, I think I agree with you, Nameless coyote. It was probably some higher ups in the government that tried to off Keene. The only reason I listed off Jeeves and Mr. Steward was because everyone else was saying that they were the main suspects. I just wanted to get them off the suspect list. Also, I figure that if it had been Thomas or Celia, the motive would more be revenge for "stealing their inheritance" rather than trying to get the money. But I do agree. I think it would be too much time and effort for the siblings, especially with their financial situation. So it was definitely the chauffeur that tried to kill him directly, but it was probably a higher up that paid him to do it. Question is, who?
-Monokuma

Naro Rivers

Post by Naro Rivers »

Saturn381 wrote:
IdleCurator wrote:
Urocyon wrote: IT WAS….DAISY!
No one ever suspects the Daisy. She is probably working with the Spanish Inquisition because:
No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
No she's too dumb to do something like that.
Or is she?
Brighttail wrote:That last panel with Keene looking back up to Heaven, where he had just spent many days, with that look on his face is telling. Is he looking up to say "thank you" or is he sad that he is no longer in paradise? Or both?
Alternatively, after getting himself out of immediate danger, he may have just realized exactly why he was in Heaven in the first place.
It's difficult to wear gloves with webbed fingers...

When talking about a character, I often speak in D&D terms.

I'm participating in a forum game! You can find it here: