2016/06/03 - End of Year Eight

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
AnimeNerd88

Re: 2016/06/03 - End of Year Eight

Post by AnimeNerd88 »

I really hate to be a smart alec, but I never said that it couldn't be that someone else that paid off the driver. Of course, I never said it could, but I still never said it couldn't. Also, I think I agree with you, Nameless coyote. It was probably some higher ups in the government that tried to off Keene. The only reason I listed off Jeeves and Mr. Steward was because everyone else was saying that they were the main suspects. I just wanted to get them off the suspect list. Also, I figure that if it had been Thomas or Celia, the motive would more be revenge for "stealing their inheritance" rather than trying to get the money. But I do agree. I think it would be too much time and effort for the siblings, especially with their financial situation. So it was definitely the chauffeur that tried to kill him directly, but it was probably a higher up that paid him to do it. Question is, who?
Let's give it everything we've got! Get ready, because it's Punishment Time!
-Monokuma

What? Even if I like dark topics, I can't resist cuteness.
Naro Rivers

Post by Naro Rivers »

Saturn381 wrote:
IdleCurator wrote:
Urocyon wrote: IT WAS….DAISY!
No one ever suspects the Daisy. She is probably working with the Spanish Inquisition because:
No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
No she's too dumb to do something like that.
Or is she?
Brighttail wrote:That last panel with Keene looking back up to Heaven, where he had just spent many days, with that look on his face is telling. Is he looking up to say "thank you" or is he sad that he is no longer in paradise? Or both?
Alternatively, after getting himself out of immediate danger, he may have just realized exactly why he was in Heaven in the first place.
It's difficult to wear gloves with webbed fingers...

When talking about a character, I often speak in D&D terms.

I'm participating in a forum game! You can find it here:
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

This thread is not even a day old, and it's already on the third page. :lol:
ShrimpGumbo

Post by ShrimpGumbo »

Heres a theory that someone probably already covered, Mr. Milton was actually murdered by the same steward, it should have worked too,the other ferrets are just eccentric patsys, only Keene is really taking charge. The rest are making obnoxious TV shows and extravegent yet useless pie-eating contests
AmberTheWolfKit

Post by AmberTheWolfKit »

Well boy oh boy this was quite the year end strip!

I do hate to retread over what anybody else may or may not have said sorry not sorry! buuuut....

There are plenty of people who'd want to off Keene, it kind of comes with the whole "egocentric billionaire" thing, you make enemies. I really don't know who did it, but there are plenty of options.

I have no idea if anybody mentioned this, but is it possible that Keene was drugged? Sure, he seemed pretty spread thin and exhausted- but he went from making snide jokes about not wearing pants to literally passing out from exhaustion in a matter of moments.

If someone was going as far as to kill Keene, they probably wouldn't risk him waking up- so it's possible that someone slipped something into a drink he had earlier and it simply kicked in around when he got in the car.

but then again I could just be overthinking this, I tend to do that a lot

My only question, y'know besides the whole "who just tried to off Keene?!?!?" thing, is where this is going to lead into. The last major overarching story focused on celestial beings and the like- will this story line be a mystery thriller with political agendas?

I dunno, I'm just reaaaaaaaally excited to see where Year 9 picks up with this story line!

I'll stop rambling now! :D
I have no idea what I'm doing here.

But hey, I'll roll with it.
FritzyBeat

Post by FritzyBeat »

ShrimpGumbo wrote:Heres a theory that someone probably already covered, Mr. Milton was actually murdered by the same steward, it should have worked too,the other ferrets are just eccentric patsys, only Keene is really taking charge. The rest are making obnoxious TV shows and extravegent yet useless pie-eating contests
I always did like Keene's take charge attitude, it's put him into many interesting situations :P The one where they went to explore the temple is still one of my faves.
Fino is coming, and he's bringing moon pizza.
AmberTheWolfKit

Saturn381 wrote:This thread is not even a day old, and it's already on the third page. :lol:

Not every strip includes the attempted murder of a fan favorite character~ ;)

daboross

Post by daboross »

NoSoyFurry wrote:
Argent wrote:
daboross wrote:I think the letter was kind of a greenish color?
Pink, and given to him by the green angel-dog. Maybe the letter is actually the pink angel-dog transformed?
IIRC, the green dog was the one interested in Fox, the pink one even said that "He seemed like such a gentledog", implying disappointment

The pink one is only shown with Fox on this one strip

But maybe it was written by both of them?
I think I was thinking of the green dog being the one to deliver it to him - Argent was right though, it is a pink letter not a green one.

The reason I'm thinking the paper in this comic isn't the letter though is just that the paper is white, rather than pink or green. I guess it probably was white paper in a pink/green envelope originally anyway, but I'd doubt that the paper would be already out of the envelope fully and floating around the instant Keene wakes up.
Nameless coyote

Post by Nameless coyote »

ShrimpGumbo wrote:(...)the other ferrets are just eccentric patsys, only Keene is really taking charge. The rest are making obnoxious TV shows and extravegent yet useless pie-eating contests
While among them Keene's clearly in the lead and is the only one really doing anything on higher scale and for greater good, I do believe Lana isn't too bad. While light-hearted, she was actually concerned about spoiling influence of their money, and she did seem to do some paperworks and other serious task - we simply don't see her that often. I could imagine her taking charge if it was required.
What could possibly go wrong...?
Sansash

Post by Sansash »

I'm thinking about Keene in that last frame... looking up, at the sky... the heavens... where he had been just before waking up in the car filled with water...
John-056

Post by John-056 »

For all you guys thinking it's Thomas Milton, I don't think it's him.

Last I checked, Thomas managed to get a photo of the Map incase he got caught. And for those thinking he didn't get it, the first print was on Carbon Paper.

That doesn't mean his Sister and PETA's out of the picture, though. Innocent until the proof's out, guys!
On the next... Wire in the Blood...
HSDVGDGFWGFWHGVMBHGWY*Ded*
Kaeto

Post by Kaeto »

Obbl wrote:
justacritic wrote:Then again, the windshield was seriously cracked from what seemed to be heavy impact.
Impact with the water is always heavy impact (just think of the windshield doing a belly flop) ;)
The pattern of shattering implies something like a head hitting the windshield. I think the chauffeur didn't survive the impact with the water.
Forward The Dinochrome!
FancyHat
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US...Would prefer Scotland.

Post by FancyHat »

When A car crashes into the water from high up, You would see a windshield nearly busted, if they drove off a bridge, That would be A honest rebuttal..But most likely something heavy hit the windsheild, such as Keene's suitcase, And cracked the window (And this is coming from the person who really really wants that Mr.Steward the steward Dead..). That or a brick that had been placed on the gas.
"Crimes?" "Crimes."
supersonicfan169

Post by supersonicfan169 »

Someone's obviously trying to kill Keene, and my money's on PETA.
Bucky-Roo wrote:Poor Keene
He needs a towel and some hugs
Agreed. :(
Those who say "Shoot for the moon, even if you miss, you'll land among the stars"...
have never played Kerbal Space Program.
FancyHat

Post by FancyHat »

Last time two pet officials did something in Babylon Gardens ended with one guy's face nearly caved in by a pet owner and then both kidnapped a local and we're swiftly and rather aggressively arrested..So yeah If PETA wanted to kill Keene how would they even know where he's at without having to go back to a place that made it rather clear "We don't like you, now bug off!"
"Crimes?" "Crimes."
Argent

Post by Argent »

They'd know where Keene was because he's an international celebrity.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Pecan
Game Master

Post by Pecan »

leinglo wrote:Having Jeeves become sort of an Alfred character for Keene would be pretty cool. He's British, he could foil another death plot on Keene by revealing he's ex-SAS or MI6 or something.
Now picturing Jeeves as one of the Kingsmen.
Paige Turner - The Stargazing Polyglot! - S4 P7 E6 C4 I10 A4 L7 (SP)
Will Turner - The Timid Survivor! - S5 P4 E8 C3 I6 A10 L6 (SP)
Timothy Cotton - The Overenthusiastic Soccer Star S6 P4 E8 C5 I5 A9 L5 (Zoo)
AnimeNerd88

Post by AnimeNerd88 »

I'm sorry, but are people really suspecting PETA as the people who tried to off Keene? Seriously?! PETA's main thing is freeing animals, not actively trying to kill them! I admit, what they have done in the past is really stupid, but in their eyes it would be seen as noble and good. How could killing Keene, who is fighting for animal rights and is a multi-billionaire, be seen as helpful to their cause in the slightest?! They would more likely be seen as a terrorist organization if they did this, and I think even they would understand this. I'm sorry if I sound rude or mean, but the idea that PETA did it just really bugs me.
-Monokuma

FancyHat

Post by FancyHat »

Except they tried to kidnap and kill Fox..
"Crimes?" "Crimes."
AmberTheWolfKit

AnimeNerd88 wrote:I'm sorry, but are people really suspecting PETA as the people who tried to off Keene? Seriously?! PETA's main thing is freeing animals, not actively trying to kill them! I admit, what they have done in the past is really stupid, but in their eyes it would be seen as noble and good. How could killing Keene, who is fighting for animal rights and is a multi-billionaire, be seen as helpful to their cause in the slightest?! They would more likely be seen as a terrorist organization if they did this, and I think even they would understand this. I'm sorry if I sound rude or mean, but the idea that PETA did it just really bugs me.

You make some valid points there, but if you remember back from the Sinister Shadow arc that they were introduced in, they feel that animals deserve to be in their natural habitat, and if that doesn't work they're better off dead.

Keene is working towards bridging the gap between humans and animals, working for equal rights. Basically, Keene is championing animals living lives equivocal to human lives. This is directly against the "feral' mentality PETA has in the comic. So when they see an animal who is pushing hard in such a way that goes right past their goals, it would make sense for them to take action against them. With the PETA activists in this depicted as very extreme, trying to kill an animal for their cause (no matter how backwards that may seem) is very plausible.

tsMKG

Post by tsMKG »

Whoa :shock:

You left me out without words that I couldn't think of anything to post.

Congratulations Rick *clap clap*

Also, to add to the discussion, let's not forget ???
Have you been looking at the thing above this? Dis is my old signature and is not relevant anymore.
AnimeNerd88

Post by AnimeNerd88 »

There is still one big problem: the fact that killing Keene here would make PETA go from a group of idiots that don't understand that a pet likes to be a pet, to group of terrorists. He's a multi-billionaire and still trying to fight for animal rights, and even if they don't want the kind of freedom that Keene wants, they should still understand that killing him will, at best for them, send them back a little bit progress, and at worst for them, put them on a watch list. So, I just feel like it wasn't PETA. At best, it would push back progress, and at worst, land the majority of them in jail. It just doesn't feel like a move they would make.
-Monokuma

Naro Rivers

Post by Naro Rivers »

AnimeNerd88 wrote:There is still one big problem: the fact that killing Keene here would make PETA go from a group of idiots that don't understand that a pet likes to be a pet, to group of terrorists.
There's a big difference between a terrorist group and the mob, and ordering a hit is a mob tactic. Terrorists don't usually bother much with single targets (barring personal vendettas, etc.), and if they do, they try to take as many other civilians at the same time.

Terrorists fight by spreading terror among the masses, hence the name. The mob targets specific individuals and groups they feel either have wronged them or pose a threat.

FancyHat

Post by FancyHat »

Technically that's Mafia, as a Mob is used to describe usually a bunch of angry people grouped together.. (I.E torches and pitchforks burn the witch kinda dtuff, a example being a Lynch Mob.)
"Crimes?" "Crimes."
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

PETA as depicted in the comic is a group with the view that man is evil and corrupting the natural way of things. They cannot stand to see pets reduced to being man's slaves. Their solution is to remove animals from the influence of man, and the PETA guy with Joel seems to indicate a willingness to do whatever it takes to make sure animals are "freed" from man's influence in whatever sense can be achieved. The thing about radical extremist groups is that (taken as a whole) they usually don't have a "too far". The ends justify the means. No matter the cost, if their goal cannot be reached any other way, then that is the way it must be done. Anyone who thinks otherwise is simply not fervent enough in their beliefs, not resolved enough to the cause.
Whether or not you believe PETA is behind this is totally your deal, but it isn't too crazy for people to believe that PETA would attempt to remove Keene from the picture so as to stop pets from joining the society of man. At least as pets they are mere slaves that can be freed. If they join man, they become part of that same evil. If Keene is stopped, this process of equality with man grinds to a halt. That would be a good end from PETA's perspective, justifying whatever means it takes to get there.
Now PETA might want to "protect their image" (such as it is) and so not move to means that would draw too much attention to them, but these kinds of things (if done properly) can often be swept under the rug as an accident or at best an unsolved case. Despite Keene's celebrity status, this would still be the death of a pet. Anyone would be justified in thinking that this could go over without a fuss.

Although... I'm not personally ready to side with the idea that it was PETA, yet. There's too many other terrible and wonderful possibilities out there. :twisted:

FancyHat wrote:Technically that's Mafia, as a Mob is used to describe usually a bunch of angry people grouped together.. (I.E torches and pitchforks burn the witch kinda dtuff, a example being a Lynch Mob.)
"The mob" is a common way to refer to the Italian mafia (at least in America), and gets extended to organized crime rings as well as other general mobs. ;)
Argent

Post by Argent »

AnimeNerd88 wrote:There is still one big problem: the fact that killing Keene here would make PETA go from a group of idiots that don't understand that a pet likes to be a pet, to group of terrorists.
If they're based on real world PETA they're already going to be seen as terrorists by animals.
tsMKG

Post by tsMKG »

PeTA has shown supporting terrorists group IRL.
I'd guess comic's version of PeTA is less crazier.

What about cooperation? Between PeTA and Celia and Thomas...

Also...
We need to know if the fat PeTA guy is involved into this.
Have you been looking at the thing above this? Dis is my old signature and is not relevant anymore.
AmberTheWolfKit

tsMKG wrote:PeTA has shown supporting terrorists group IRL.
I'd guess comic's version of PeTA is less crazier.

What about cooperation? Between PeTA and Celia and Thomas...

Also...
We need to know if the fat PeTA guy is involved into this.
Bringing back him would lead to some interesting things in the story. Especially if Fox and King are given a few scenes with him. Odds are that he'd be out of jail by this point too. right? However, I think it would be a great coincidence that the PETA member who tries to off Keene be the same one from way back. But then again, according to Chekhov: if you have something early in your story, it needs to pay off by the end! So Rick could have been sitting on that for a while, waiting for an arc where they could have more purpose.

Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

I'm not sure that PETA really cares about their image - they do a lot of stuff that people can't stand.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
FancyHat

Post by FancyHat »

Yeah, I mean when the first person you talk to blindside you with a right hook, you should know they are not happy with ya..
"Crimes?" "Crimes."
That1Rebel

Post by That1Rebel »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:Waking up, underwater.
Air bubble; getting shorter.
Thinking cool;
Thinking faster,
Mere seconds from disaster.
Pulling fast, on the frame
Not wondering; no-one’s blame
Swimming hard,
Climbing well
Out of the water’s swell.
New question, what occurred?
New thought; blame blurred
Down or up
Driver gone.
What the heck is going on?
Those rap lyrics are awesome! Or probably for rock.
Naro Rivers

Post by Naro Rivers »

That1Rebel wrote:
Welsh Halfwit wrote:Waking up, underwater.
Air bubble; getting shorter.
Thinking cool;
Thinking faster,
Mere seconds from disaster.
Pulling fast, on the frame
Not wondering; no-one’s blame
Swimming hard,
Climbing well
Out of the water’s swell.
New question, what occurred?
New thought; blame blurred
Down or up
Driver gone.
What the heck is going on?
Those rap lyrics are awesome! Or probably for rock.
I always thought Halfwit was writing poetry. Either way, it's impressive that he writes one for every strip.

AmberTheWolfKit

Retto-the-Otter wrote: I always thought Halfwit was writing poetry. Either way, it's impressive that he writes one for every strip.

I pictured it as poetry myself.

Though I suppose if we wanted to make a Housepets rap album I guess we could...

Dissension

Post by Dissension »

RAP = Rhythmic American Poetry

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Argent

Post by Argent »

Rap is modern opera.

I don't like opera either. Except for What's Opera Doc.
MrBlueSky7

Post by MrBlueSky7 »

It's a shame that we didn't get to see GK in this Arc. I was really hoping to see a good moment or two with him and Keene.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

MrBlueSky7 wrote:It's a shame that we didn't get to see GK in this Arc. I was really hoping to see a good moment or two with him and Keene.
Playing shuffleboard?
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)