2016/07/11 - Sticks And Bones

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

2016/07/11 - Sticks And Bones

Post by Obbl »

[ Sticks And Bones ]

Title Text: I suppose we could talk about something else, like how awesome Fido is

Yeah, Fox! Can you imagine holding something so ridiculous against Fido? :P
renato

Re: 2016/07/11 - Sticks And Bones

Post by renato »

YAY! Eye's colors are back!
Wooo!
'
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

Oh yeeeah I completely forgot about that thing... That still an issue ?
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I'm not sure, but I think Fox is still upset that his best friend hid a secret from him for so long and it turned out to be something that Fox despised.

...I could be wrong. :roll:
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

I can understand that Fox feels betrayed, and maybe that he disagrees with the ideology, but can't he learn to let go? It's not like Fido did anything to him personally - heck, he even forgave the guy who did do something to him personally. So, what gives, Fox?

... What ever happened to Fido, anyway?

And yay for eye colors! :D
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Jakkal

Post by Jakkal »

To be honest I have trouble getting Fox's reaction. Why is he so embarrassed by it?
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

A strange reaction
To his old friend’s name.
Fox’s boiling anger
Or is it burning shame.
Prejudice shown
From our fair Fox
Whilst Mungo thinks
Outside any known box
‘You can teach him much’
And learn from him too
As education slips here
From Black to Blue.
They’re not strapped in,
They’re sitting free
For speed of egress?
Well… possibly.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

I can see the old Fox is still there.
Mistacheeeez
Location: Scouring the vast wastelands of the internet for any memes not yet devoured by the masses!

Post by Mistacheeeez »

This whole thing about how Fox still doesn't like the idea of cats and dogs being together makes me wonder if Rick might have a master plan of making Fox fall in love with a cat as a giant story twist! And Rick is alluding back to Fox's aggravation so that we remember what he has against it so that it'll become even more of a shocker when it actually happens!!!
I thought about changing my signature but decided against it, it's too much work!
valerio

Post by valerio »

Perhaps Foxie-bon is a repressed cat-lover.
Wouldn't it be funny if he got a crush for Grape, back when she saved his tail? :lol:

On the other paw, he could just be a plain specist. A flaw, but then nobody's perfect. in fact, such a dichotomy in Fox's personality would make him even the more interesting in the long run. So many issues to deal with, confrontations, self-analysis...yup, a lot of stuff can be spawned by this moment in the comic...
Bucky-Roo

Post by Bucky-Roo »

I'm now really curious about what is floating in Fox's mind right now. On the other hand, he also looks more adorable when he's flustered. Oh boy
Hello, my baby
Hello, my honey
Hello, my ragtime gaaal
Foreigner

Post by Foreigner »

Mistacheeeez wrote:master plan of making Fox fall in love with a cat as a giant story twist!

Okay, but what about a certain green dog?
My English is bad. Sorry for that.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Foreigner wrote:
Mistacheeeez wrote:master plan of making Fox fall in love with a cat as a giant story twist!

Okay, but what about a certain green dog?
she was a cat in life, she just chooses to be a dog in heaven.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
FelixKayne

Post by FelixKayne »

You know... I bet this would all be solved if Fox and Fido just talked it out. Get to the root of the problem and just go from there and fix it. Maybe? I don't really know how to fix these kind of things that well...
gamepopper

Post by gamepopper »

So has Fido actually returned to the force yet? He was on leave for three weeks so he must be back by now.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Jakkal wrote:To be honest I have trouble getting Fox's reaction. Why is he so embarrassed by it?
Perhaps the answer involves closets?
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Not A Furry

Post by Not A Furry »

Well depends on what the "speciesphobia" references in real life (Homo-/xeno- phobia or racism)

But I'd say being any one of those doesn't necessarily make you a closet "cat-lover", if anything that'd be the exception.
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

Oh yeah, there was something...
My thought was that Fox feels still guilty that he couldn't help Fido with the good old dogs club...
Aside from that I love Mungo's laid-back attitude. If it continues like that, he will be my new favourite character :mrgreen:
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

NoSoyFurry wrote:Well depends on what the "speciesphobia" references in real life (Homo-/xeno- phobia or racism)

But I'd say being any one of those doesn't necessarily make you a closet "cat-lover", if anything that'd be the exception.
while i can't speak for real life, as i tend to avoid people who demonstrate biases like those, in fiction theres a semi-frequent bit of a trope of "character X acts in manner Y toards group Z due to either self-loathing over secretly being one of them, or overdoing his/her attempts at 'acting normal', and sub plot C is about them coming to terms with that and changing their ways."

showed up a lot in the 90s, has died out a bit since then.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Neowulf

Post by Neowulf »

TFW you're embarrassed by and/or about your friend but everyone won't stop talking about him.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Can i stress how much i liked Fox's face turning red down to the last panel? The last panel actually makes him look more adorable =P (Also, noone's calling it blushing yet. i'm shocked)

Key word here with Fox is conflicted. He sounds like to me that Fido should be hated, but he's got the wrong impression again. Poor guy x3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Gabi

Post by Gabi »

I agree with the Alt Text. Fido is awesome. Much more so than Mungo. And Fox will have to talk to him sooner or later. But well, maybe spending this time with Mungo will help him appreciate the company of someone who's not so annoying.
NoSoyFurry wrote:Well depends on what the "speciesphobia" references in real life (Homo-/xeno- phobia or racism)

Yeah, those cases do exist, but most of the time people fear/hate what they don't know and cannot understand. Or just want to feel superior.
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

I don't get it. Is Fox angry, or is Fox blushing?
GarrisonSkunk

Post by GarrisonSkunk »

Obbl wrote:[ Sticks And Bones ]

Title Text: I suppose we could talk about something else, like how awesome Fido is

Yeah, Fox! Can you imagine holding something so ridiculous against Fido? :P
Might it be a touch of jealousy? Maybe Fox found himself attracted to our fair Sabrina, despite her feline statis.
Not A Furry

Post by Not A Furry »

Gabi wrote:Yeah, those cases do exist, but most of the time people fear/hate what they don't know and cannot understand. Or just want to feel superior.
<polemic>

This is not the place to discuss this so I won't, but that's a really lazy way to try to understand that point of view. Kind of like thinking people hit you in school because they were envious.

Some people are homo -phoes, like there are aracno -phobes and thalasso -phobes (Fear towards them), there are people who don't like them, people who are in the closet and have to keep a status quo on their family/work so they don't get treated differently, there are those who don't understand how it works or why it is like that, and those who do and even then think it should not happen for x reason. There are those who hate them for religious reasons, others for socio-evolutive ones, others just wouldn't like their kids to be like that and tend to create a hostile environment towards them in their homes...

It's a way more complex point of view than what most people think, kind of like dividing the whole political spectrum in right/left and conservative/liberal, there are liberal and authoritarian communists, liberal and authoritarian capitalists, people who are almost perfect matches for x ideologies but then have a completely "uncompatible" opinion on some matters, etc etc.

To put an (admittedly polemic) example, what do you think about all of those "dog-kins" and "gender fluids" out there? Just imagine you're a bit more conservative and suddenly the threshold of "morality" moves beyond homosexuals.

</polemic>
HellishK9

Post by HellishK9 »

Embarrassed/Angry Fox is adorable. :D
You need to be more accepting of other people's choices Fox. Especially if that person is a good friend.
valerio

Post by valerio »

Macsen wrote:I don't get it. Is Fox angry, or is Fox blushing?
Apparently, that is the 'anger' stage of red
Furryface18

Post by Furryface18 »

Fox is such a cutie when he blushes, but I wonder why he's blushing? Maybe he secretly likes a cat or maybe he likes grape because she saved him or he's embarrassed that she saved him in the first place. ;)
There's no place like home...except the Housepets home page.
NathanielKing

Post by NathanielKing »

I knew from the first time he appeared that Mungo would be my new favorite character! XD

EDIT:
My memory is fuzzy and I'm too lazy to look things up, but wasn't Fox always a close friend to Fido and quite shocked when the things with the cat-loving came out and kinda hurt because Fido had kept it secret even from him, making the whole scene just a typical one for big clumsy Mungo crashing right onto a sore nerve of Fox? :3
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

NathanielKing wrote:I knew from the first time he appeared that Mungo would be my new favorite character! XD

EDIT:
My memory is fuzzy and I'm too lazy to look things up, but wasn't Fox always a close friend to Fido and quite shocked when the things with the cat-loving came out and kinda hurt because Fido had kept it secret even from him, making the whole scene just a typical one for big clumsy Mungo crashing right onto a sore nerve of Fox? :3
Yes, yes it was. Here is the evidence

Something else:
Why is Mungo wondering, why Fox didn't got partnered with Fido? I always thought Fido had Ralph AND Kevin as his partners, since we always see the three of them together. Sure Ralph is something like their boss, so at least Kevin would be Fido's partner? Kevin seemed to be confused about the whole cat and dog relationship thing, but nothing more.
KingFan13

Post by KingFan13 »

Ok, I haven't gone through the comic in two years now, and that was my only time through. My memory is a little fuzzy on this subject, was it the hiding the secret of Sabrina that made Fox feel differently about Fido for whatever reason?
Mistacheeeez wrote:This whole thing about how Fox still doesn't like the idea of cats and dogs being together makes me wonder if Rick might have a master plan of making Fox fall in love with a cat as a giant story twist! And Rick is alluding back to Fox's aggravation so that we remember what he has against it so that it'll become even more of a shocker when it actually happens!!!
valerio wrote:Perhaps Foxie-bon is a repressed cat-lover.
Wouldn't it be funny if he got a crush for Grape, back when she saved his tail? :lol:
Nah, there's another dog that needs to show his true feelings for cats first. Then Fox can feel free to show his true feelings for cats as well. ;)
NathanielKing

Post by NathanielKing »

In general response to the thoughts about the story arc:

Personally, and aware I may sound like a moral-preacher, I'd far more prefer if Fox learned to accept there are differences in the world. Instead of turning him 'to the other side', spooky-spooky. x3

Seriously, if that arc would get him to just bark out his emotions and doubts and what-not, to open up and talk about it, that would be an achievement worth wagging ones tail off for.

EDIT: Provided there IS something queer with his emotions and thoughts.
On the one side this never got resolved in the comic, on the other a lot of time has passed and there is much space for wild assumptions and romantic intrigue.
Douglas Collier

NoSoyFurry wrote: Some people are homo -phoes, like there are aracno -phobes and thalasso -phobes (Fear towards them), there are people who don't like them, people who are in the closet and have to keep a status quo on their family/work so they don't get treated differently, there are those who don't understand how it works or why it is like that, and those who do and even then think it should not happen for x reason. There are those who hate them for religious reasons, others for socio-evolutive ones, others just wouldn't like their kids to be like that and tend to create a hostile environment towards them in their homes...
There is also another category of people who don't like group x because a person from that group betrayed them or hurt them deeply. That seems to be what Fox is experiencing (combined with being against it from the beginning for X reason). One of his best friends - someone who stood for one of his ideals - suddenly turned out to have been lying to him / keeping something important from him the whole time. Why should you remain friends with someone you can't trust, or who obviously can't trust you? Why should you be friends with that person, on top of the fact that they stand for something that you are staunchly against? But on the other hand, Fox is the sort who can't let friendships go, so he's really torn apart by the whole situation with Fido.

Also, blushing doesn't always indicate feelings of embarrassment - sometimes it indicates hurt or anger. For example:

Fox is just better about not blurting out how he's feeling, which isn't necessarily a good thing.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Eh, I said that Fox needed to pick up lot of patience. ;) Poor Fox's nerves. :| I don't know, maybe I'm no more liking Mungo... He's being so annoying, but I wish he continues so, it'll be funny for us. :P Indeed, it had be great for Fox have the awesome Fido as partner. :D But yeah, Fido paid much for that public revelation on TV... :| Anyway, it's good to know you think so about their relation, Mungo. ;)
valerio

Post by valerio »

Douglas Collier wrote:There is also another category of people who don't like group x because a person from that group betrayed them or hurt them deeply. That seems to be what Fox is experiencing (combined with being against it from the beginning for X reason). One of his best friends - someone who stood for one of his ideals - suddenly turned out to have been lying to him / keeping something important from him the whole time. Why should you remain friends with someone you can't trust, or who obviously can't trust you? Why should you be friends with that person, on top of the fact that they stand for something that you are staunchly against? But on the other hand, Fox is the sort who can't let friendships go, so he's really torn apart by the whole situation with Fido.
And how could Fido just come out to Fox, considering that he was a member of Bino's inner circle? And that his own career was at risk should anything come out? The pressure must have been very hard on him :(
King? "Oh, hello, Fox. You know, you're being my best pal and all, but...you're *not* angry at that human for kidnapping you that second time, eh? No, no, just asking..." And we had a sample of what Fox could have done -before seeing the truth with his own eyes- when Joel's watch ended up in Bino's possession. So, it's Fox who, with time and counsel, find the inner strength to truly forgive his best friends. It just can't happen overnight.
Douglas Collier

The thing with King was that he personally showed Fox the truth, and Fox was able to take out his anger. Fido afforded Fox no such opportunity.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Ok I have a question here, why would Fido receive any kind of disciplinary action from the department for being involved with a cat? Humans find it cute its only animals that have an issue with it really. Unless Mungo is referring to the Good Old Dogs Club with that line, however calling it disciplinary action seems a bit to formal to me for it to be talking about that.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

IceKitsune wrote:Ok I have a question here, why would Fido receive any kind of disciplinary action from the department for being involved with a cat? Humans find it cute its only animals that have an issue with it really. Unless Mungo is referring to the Good Old Dogs Club with that line, however calling it disciplinary action seems a bit to formal to me for it to be talking about that.
The neat thing about Fido's situation is that Mungo's way of wording is making it imply that he's being disciplined for having a cat girlfriend when in reality he's being punished for having ruined a wedding where his girlfriend was involved.

But no, he's not being punished for having a cat girlfriend. =3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Douglas Collier

He was disciplined for starting an international incident with the prince of Feraga.
gamepopper

Post by gamepopper »

GameCobra wrote: The neat thing about Fido's situation is that Mungo's way of wording is making it imply that he's being disciplined for having a cat girlfriend when in reality he's being punished for having ruined a wedding where his girlfriend was involved.

But no, he's not being punished for having a cat girlfriend. =3
Although I do wonder, is Fido back on the force yet? I can't remember if he returned after is administrative leave...