2017/04/24 - Take The Long Way Home

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Not A Furry

Re: 2017/04/24 - Take The Long Way Home

Post by Not A Furry »

Adoring Fan wrote:I am just hoping that this isn't just done to mess with us.
Oh you poor, poor innocent soul...
Furryface18

Post by Furryface18 »

Peanut makes my heart melt. I love them so much.
There's no place like home...except the Housepets home page.
jrh150482

Post by jrh150482 »

Peanut is now dead, yup.
*in Christopher Walken style*

I have a fever... and the only prescription... is more Kingley!
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Adoring Fan wrote:OMG!!!!

Peanut and Grape are finally going to go on a date! I've been wanting this since before Pete made his first appearance!

leinglo wrote:
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:guys, friend dates are a thing.
I would like this to not be that, but just saying. it's called a shipping tease for a reason
Maybe, but you generally don't refer to a "friend date" specifically as a date. It's usually just called "hanging out", or something else to that effect. Granted, in this case the phrasing could just be put down to Peanut's innocence, but still...
I don't think Peanut means it as a friend date. Grape knows he likes her and its been made blatantly clear that he wants to be her boyfriend on a romantic level. Remember the farm? She hooked up with max when he was walking up to ASK her to be his girlfriend. The event broke his heart which is why tarot/dragon took advantage of him to get close to what was going on. Remember tarot didn't get with him because she wanted to she did it because dragon made her. They just sort of ended up liking each other after that and as far as grape well.... Lets be honest Max has never really been a good boyfriend.

I am just hoping that this becomes a bigger thing as time continues and isn't just done to mess with us.
Even if he does mean it not as a friend date, then he's being a total jerk and it's not a good thing.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

It's hard to define exactly how serious the date is, but even if it is serious, i like the interpertation that the two are going to experience from it. Whether it'll cause problems for them down the road i doubt it will, but to me it's a serious date that's meant to get the two to learn more about themselves.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
ChekeBello

Post by ChekeBello »

I don't think "a date" is all that new, the whole "The Mall" arc was kinda a date for me (just not labelled as it).
They hanged out, visited stores, Grape talked about her opinions, they had dinner and ended with a movie where Grape pretty much cuddled in Peanut's arms.

So this two "dating", looks quite normal to me
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

Adoring Fan wrote:Remember tarot didn't get with him because she wanted to she did it because dragon made her. They just sort of ended up liking each other after that and as far as grape well.... Lets be honest Max has never really been a good boyfriend.
Come to think of it, yeah, that's actually a fair point. Grape and Peanut have always seemed to have a closer bond with each other than they ever did with either Tarot or Max (though to Max's credit, not for lack of trying on his part), and on top of that, it seems to me that Tarot and Max have been ever so slightly drifting away from Grape and Peanut lately. Maybe that's just how the last couple arcs have been playing out and there just hasn't been time for it or focus on it, but their relationships just aren't as clear as they used to be.
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

People do use the word date in non-romantic context (albeit infrequently)
merriam-webster.com wrote:2 date
noun

a : an appointment to meet at a specified time; set up a date with her lawyer; especially : a social engagement (see engagement 1a) between two persons that often has a romantic character; asked her out on a date
b : a person with whom one has a usually romantic date; bringing a date to the dance
Note the qualifiers

Edit: I'm not saying you guys are necessarily wrong, I'm just making an argument for plausible deniability.

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Yeah, Peanut, it has been very awful for you, but look at the good side: you're still alive and didn't face any wraith! :D :P Well, people who deal with that kind of stress are just a little more expert than you in that subject. ;) Indeed, Grape, he got stressed, exhausted, and so on all by himself. :P So, you earned only five dollars? Meh, not so worth after the bad experience got, but I suggest to don't repeat it anymore. Oh, Peanut, you're still a playful puppy inside. :D That's not how a date works... :P Eheh, now Grape can show you how's hang out together on a date. ;)
The last panel is really cute, just a little bit of the good old Grapenut. :)
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

I will agree that this was a cute little lesson and development for Peanut's character, but if it's not really leading anywhere with these two I can't help but feel a little bad for Max and Tarot. True leaving them for eachother would still be bad for the both of them but in my opinion it is better than just kinda being tagged along.
leinglo wrote:
Adoring Fan wrote:Remember tarot didn't get with him because she wanted to she did it because dragon made her. They just sort of ended up liking each other after that and as far as grape well.... Lets be honest Max has never really been a good boyfriend.
Come to think of it, yeah, that's actually a fair point. Grape and Peanut have always seemed to have a closer bond with each other than they ever did with either Tarot or Max (though to Max's credit, not for lack of trying on his part), and on top of that, it seems to me that Tarot and Max have been ever so slightly drifting away from Grape and Peanut lately. Maybe that's just how the last couple arcs have been playing out and there just hasn't been time for it or focus on it, but their relationships just aren't as clear as they used to be.
I'd say that's kinda true for Tarot, but Max actually is trying. It's more of Grape that's drifting away in that regard. Admittedly I DID always find it weird that the whole "Different species relationship" thing was built up with the main characters only to be dropped, but it came back in the comic with more focus on Fido and Sabrina so I considered it fine. And yeah, Peanut and Tarot/ Grape and Max did seem to have significantly less of a build up to it but for a while it did seem fine.

But hey: Canon Shipper. Whatever goes goes in my eyes.
ImageImageImageImage
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Well, this wasn't the way I expected this arc to end. Also, darn it Rick don't tease the ship like this! We know you aren't going to do it (or maybe he will!...Let me dream ok) and this is just mean :P I may not have the Signature anymore but I still support it wholeheartedly. Loved this arc it was quite cute and seeing Peanut going crazy was a blast.
AgentJX7

Post by AgentJX7 »

Based solely on my experience with the comic, we're going to keep getting tormented with ship teases like this for a while.

Realistically, it's not going to go anywhere. The story is going to stay focused on King and the ferrets for quite a while, probably, and Peanut and Grape are gonna have bigger problems to deal with than relationships.

...Which could cause some drama. And then (and this is all wishful thinking and sheer hope) there will be a big arc where Max and Grape have a fight about how affectionate Grape is around Peanut, and THAT will snowball into a whole mess of drama that ends with Peanut and Grape getting together outright or implied to get together. In my dreams, anyway. I'm a sucker for drama.

ANYWAY. I'm going to stay cautiously optimistic that grapenut is still a thing that might happen at some point in the future. Hey, we could even see Peanut/Grape/Max or Peanut/Tarot/Grape/Max. Polyamory is a cool thing that solves all problems. Probably not, but I can dream, right?
Not A Furry

Post by Not A Furry »

I hope rick realizes the ammount of... er... "fan art" this is going to spawn on certain websites.
HellishK9

Post by HellishK9 »

Not A Furry wrote:I hope rick realizes the ammount of... er... "fan art" this is going to spawn on certain websites.
Why did you bring it up? I was trying to enjoy the sweet and innocent moment in peace. :cry:
Last edited by HellishK9 on Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Not A Furry wrote:I hope rick realizes the ammount of... er... "fan art" this is going to spawn on certain websites.
If there is anything like that, this wouldn't have been what started it, it would've started a long time ago.
Not A Furry

Post by Not A Furry »

HellishK9 wrote:
Why must you bring this up? I was trying to enjoy the sweet and innocent moment in peace. :cry:
I mean the sweet, totally PG cute fan art of them just hugging and cuddling
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

HellishK9 wrote:
Why must you bring this up? I was trying to enjoy the sweet and innocent moment in peace. :cry:
Besides, I'm pretty sure the far more explicit confession pages brought up earlier pretty much took care of that a long time ago. Ultimately, whether this is a legit hint or just trolling (knowing Rick, it could be either), this is still just a minor thrown bone for the shipping crowd to gnarl on for a couple of pages.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Gaaah. The first payoff in a long time for a longtime Grapenut supporter like me. :3

I'm not an infidelity supporter, though, so Max and Tarot get in the way. Which also makes me believe the "date" in question is intended as more platonic than anything. So I'll wait for those relationships to fall apart. ;P

Also that's a great Supertramp song.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

Rick, you just had to throw red meat to the Grapenut shippers.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Yes, Rick! Feed our insatiable desire for GrapeNuts! :D
I love these quiet moments, and the stars are really beautiful here
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Peanut: Grape, i offer you a choice: Pridelands? or $5?
Grape: $5. *jumps into Peanut's arms*
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Not A Furry

Post by Not A Furry »

idk why but separating both names by capitalizing the N in Grapenut looks wrong
Tales

Post by Tales »

Grapenut... Rise my fellow shipping brethren! We shall stake our claim to this arc!
My FA account: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/tales19/

The best forum game in existence:
Frank

Post by Frank »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:guys, friend dates are a thing.
I would like this to not be that, but just saying. it's called a shipping tease for a reason
There's no way Peanut is that innocent

...actually there's every way Peanut is that innocent
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
DarkWolf670

Post by DarkWolf670 »

what a tease! XD but if you look at the last panel... GRAPE'S TAIL WAS ABOUT WRAP PEANUT!!!! *screams*
I WANT TO HUG AND PLAY WITH EVERYBODY!!!
JUST DON'T HURT MY FRIENDS OR I WILL SKIN YOU ALIVE!!! Have Fun :)
http://ask.fm/DarkWolf670 <--ask me something stupid if you like
http://darkwolfsblog.tumblr.com/ <--follow me post things :3
Ryusuta

Post by Ryusuta »

GRAPENUT INTENSIFIES! OwO
Panther

Post by Panther »

DarkWolf670 wrote:what a tease! XD but if you look at the last panel... GRAPE'S TAIL WAS ABOUT WRAP PEANUT!!!! *screams*
Grape uses "tail wraps" attack ; Peanut surrenders :oops:
Not A Furry

Post by Not A Furry »

Panther wrote:
DarkWolf670 wrote:what a tease! XD but if you look at the last panel... GRAPE'S TAIL WAS ABOUT WRAP PEANUT!!!! *screams*
Grape uses "tail wraps" attack ; Peanut surrenders :oops:
King uses "Tail wrap" attack; It wasn't very effective :lol:
Sinder

Post by Sinder »

well

that happened
ImageImage
ImageImage
Big Fan

Post by Big Fan »

Is anyone else reminded of a fan comic when they look at this? I can't remember what it's called, I just remember it was Grapenut, they climbed over a fence, and I think it was winter. Either that or a lot of white background.
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Big Fan wrote:Is anyone else reminded of a fan comic when they look at this? I can't remember what it's called, I just remember it was Grapenut, they climbed over a fence, and I think it was winter. Either that or a lot of white background.
Yeah I know what you're talking about. That was made for the Sympathy in Periwinkle fanfic. Unfortunately, that comic you're referring to has long since been gone.
Zerky

Post by Zerky »

Hee heeeeeee!
Is my favorite ship finally going to set sail?
[Insert sig here]
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

Big Fan wrote:Is anyone else reminded of a fan comic when they look at this? I can't remember what it's called, I just remember it was Grapenut, they climbed over a fence, and I think it was winter. Either that or a lot of white background.
I think it was part of a comic that was based on the fan-fic Symphony in Periwinkle.
HellishK9

Post by HellishK9 »

Saturn381 wrote:
Yeah I know what you're talking about. That was made for the Sympathy in Periwinkle fanfic. Unfortunately, that comic you're referring to has long since been gone.
Macsen wrote:
I think it was part of a comic that was based on the fan-fic Symphony in Periwinkle.

I guess I'll throw in the link to contribute
The pictures are dead though.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

I am really reluctant to get into the "shipping wars" since I'm not as deep into evolving relationships as many of you more insightful readers. But, I admit, I was just enchanted by this final sequence. After the hilarity and slam-bang roller-coaster with the puppies, the mood shift is so tranquil and beguiling. The whole setting is so small town pastoral, the night, the stars, the snow covered paths - somebody cue the strings and low sax!!

I also admit...I'm not sure whether they drifted into Peanut's invitation or if Grape had planned this little "seduction" for a while or spontaneously. Don't you love the tentativeness of his proposal? You wanna go on a date (unspoken implication - "but if you don't, that's cool). And Grape is so feline, so blase...except for that sinewy tail slowly embracing Peanut from behind. This time unspoken, their love for each other remains, reaffirmed.

I leave to friend Rick's muse where love will take Peanut and Grape...or Peanut and Tarot as well as Grape and Maxwell, for that matter. We know Peanut "has a thing" for cats and, in her turn, Grape enjoys the company of dogs. (Grape's attraction to dogs got downplayed early on, but she still attends the Good Ole Dog's Club). Both have also admired Fido and Sabrina while admitting they lack their courage. And they both clearly have deep affections for neurotic, charming Maxie and cool, intellectual vulnerable Tarot. Their situations are, as Kitsume might say, "always subject to change, as mortals are."

But what is clear is, despite the insanity they've just endured, Peanut and Grape are not in a hurry to get home They're taking the long way home because, on a beautiful night all by themselves, that's what lovers always do.

Thanks, Rick, for a bell of a lot of laughs and a final smile.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

This was a very cute and very well done strip in the comic, and that's saying a lot since the whole comic is brilliant.
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
Titanium Dragon

Post by Titanium Dragon »

I haven't been reading Housepets for a while, so catching back up, I was quite surprised to see this ship come back. I always shipped Grape and Peanut, though I understand why Grape likes Max, I always felt like Peanut's relationship with Tarot is rather... perfunctory. Possibly because Tarot was literally thrown into the relationship by Dragon, then ended up actually liking him, while Peanut, being Peanut, was always kind of blaze about it.

There's also the fact that Peanut always seemed like he cared about Grape more than he cared about Tarot. He sometimes seems to sort of forget about Tarot, and he seems to be much more openly affectionate towards Grape than he does towards his actual girlfriend. The fact that Peanut basically settled for Tarot because Grape ended up going out with Max pretty much right before Peanut asked her out probably didn't help at all in terms of resolving Peanut's feelings for Grape.

Tarot and Peanut, thus, have always had a weird relationship.

Grape and Max is odd in its own way. Contrary to Peanut's relationship with Tarot, Grape clearly does like Max. She enjoys spending time with him, the two of them do stuff together, are friendly and affectionate towards each other, share a number of interests, ect. There's clearly something there, but poor Max is constantly left feeling kind of inadequete to Grape. He has noted his feelings of inferiority repeatedly in the past, and tried to become more attractive to her, something which always fails (but comically, and Grape often finds his flimsy attempts endearing). He puts up with Grape's random crushes on other guys, especially the hunkier types, but he also seems kind of jealous of her relationship with Res as well - not only does he like being included in hanging out with Res, but I get the feeling he is a little bit wary of Grape liking Res more than she likes him.

I suspect that Max puts up with all of this because he does love Grape and wants to be with her, regardless of her flights of fantasy, but I also suspect he just is scared of losing her and doesn't want to bring up something that is going to lead to her dumping him for someone else. I'm not sure if Max is fully aware of how Grape feels about Peanut (and possibly vice-versa) but I think he'd be too scared to actually be too confrontational about it for fear of making Grape make a choice - a choice which, I suspect, he feels would go against him.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Hi, TD. I enjoyed your reflections on one of the favourite topics in this community. Perhaps what it reveals most is how much we love these characters, but you're discovering that yourself. Regards.