2017/07/24 - The Cavalry Arrives

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
TheGayHare

Re: 2017/07/24 - The Calvary Arrives

Post by TheGayHare »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:
IceKitsune wrote:Well Res' powers sure made quick work of that. To bad we now have to wait to see the ninja cats in action.
To be honest, I want to see the nerds. With active magic AND Phazer.
Magic yes
and a princess and a barbarian but no phaser... peanut said the powers come from the hat. the trekkie was the only one in his group with no hat
Bandit1990

Re: 2017/07/24 - The Cavalry Arrives

Post by Bandit1990 »

There was a caption on Dallas' earring that claimed it "Technically counts as headwear."

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
TheGayHare

Post by TheGayHare »

wow your right and I went back to that panel specifically before I posted so I wouldn't make a fool of myself and still missed a rather blatant caption... DOH

hes wearing the right color for security, and 3 gold pips is commander rank

He'll get a phaser, I was hopping he'd be all vulcan logical and a science officer but thats blue.

maybe though he'll have forehead bumps and suffer the worf effect instead
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

OH MY COD, RES IS ALREADY NAKED! BY THE TIME HE'S DONE HE'S GOING TO BE SCREAMING "I AM ONE WITH THE FERALS!!!"
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

the vulcan scientist stereotype is actually only backed up by Spock and Tpol being science officers. Every other Vulcan in startrek has a different job than that, from diplomats to security cheifs to engineers to assasins to maquis rebels to cooks to writers etc.

also head of security is a post usually given to a Lieutenant Commander, or if a civilian is given the post, a Constable. Commanders are usually first officers (Checov on the Reliant, Tpol, Chacotay, Spock, Riker, Shelby when Riker assumed command) or XOs (Saavik, Valeris) to Captains, Special Strategic positions (Warf, Shelby), Station commanders (Sisko), or heads of departments normally outside the chain of command like Sciences (spock, Tpol) or Medical (Crusher, Paulasky).

Note: First officer and XO are usually the same position, but there have been exceptions such as spock being kirk's first officer but Saavik/Valeris being XO in the movies. it only worked there because kirk being an admiral and spock being a captain kept the chain of command straight forward. dont ask me how it would work if the 2nd & XO were the same rank, I don't know, ive never seen it happen.
Last edited by Buster on Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Not A Furry

Post by Not A Furry »

Macsen wrote:OH MY COD, RES IS ALREADY NAKED! BY THE TIME HE'S DONE HE'S GOING TO BE SCREAMING "I AM ONE WITH THE FERALS!!!"
I actually just noticed that lol, must be awkward for Grape. And Max. And Peanut.
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

Res does seem small for a Were-Tiger, I have a couple ideas for that:

It could just be a perspective thing, as we don't really know exactly how tall that corridor or how large the OEOHFPPE is.

Or, it could be that Were-creatures are shape-shifters, and he could be able to switch back and forth at will.

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
TheGayHare

Post by TheGayHare »

Buster wrote:the vulcan scientist stereotype is actually only backed up by Spock and Tpol being science officers. Every other Vulcan in startrek has a different job than that, from diplomats to security cheifs to engineers to assasins to maquis rebels to cooks to writers etc.

also head of security is a post usually given to a Lieutenant Commander, or if a civilian is given the post, a Constable. Commanders are usually first officers (Checov on the Reliant, Tpol, Chacotay, Spock, Riker, Shelby when Riker assumed command) or XOs (Saavik, Valeris) to Captains, Special Strategic positions (Warf, Shelby), Station commanders (Sisko), or heads of departments normally outside the chain of command like Sciences (spock, Tpol) or Medical (Crusher, Paulasky).

Note: First officer and XO are usually the same position, but there have been exceptions such as spock being kirk's first officer but Saavik/Valeris being XO in the movies. it only worked there because kirk being an admiral and spock being a captain kept the chain of command straight forward. dont ask me how it would work if the 2nd & XO were the same rank, I don't know, ive never seen it happen.
Ohhh I know the vulcan logic Isnt all encompasing for science officers but I thought it would be funny to see Dallas go that route

and your right I had assumed since 3 pips was commander rank and I remembered worf refered to as commander it was the same thing

hmm the only problem with Dallas is his uniform, he should be wearing red. looking through any one with three gold pips gets red while the highest gold ranks are 2gold 1 black. but thats a quick search on my part. something only obsessive startrek fans would notice (casual fan here had to look that up) and easy to mix up

He could still get a noncombat role now that I think about it maybe he'll be an engineer with a jordie visor and be forced to talk in technobable... or maybe he'll go old school develop a bad accent and quadruple all his estiments
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

we've actually already discussed that particular wardrobe malfunction but yeah, a TNG era operations branch uniform on a commander is an oddity, as the only example I could find that wasn't from either before or after that uniforms era was a station commander of a shipyard from a book, which is would put him in the engineering dept not security.

three gold is commander, two gold one black is lieutenant commander, but tv writers are lazy and often drop the word lieutenant from ranks that have two part names. worf didn't start wearing commanders pips until after he was made strategic operations officer on DS9 (complete with red uniform).
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
TheGayHare

Post by TheGayHare »

probably on the thread for that particular page oh well

thatll teach me to only rarely check the forums you miss fun stuff

still wondering what sort of healer peanut will be.. maybe cleric of tarot so his girlfreinds healing blessing rains down on the party... Id go with spacemarine apothecary, (truthfully Id go with an Ork Painboy but I'm assuming peanuts a nicer healer then me) that gets you power armor and big guns with your heals
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

keep in mind temple powers tend to linger as we saw with zach. rick will probably pick something that can be played for laughs later.
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

Buster wrote:keep in mind temple powers tend to linger as we saw with zach. rick will probably pick something that can be played for laughs later.
Res will have the inspiration to finish his series, and then will start an even more popular series about the misadventures of a were-tiger. ;)
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
John-056

Post by John-056 »

Argent wrote:WANT TO SEE PEANUT AS A MEDIC.

Maybe he can do the St Bernard thing.
If he starts Spamming Ubercharges, I'll start laughing.
On the next... Wire in the Blood...
HSDVGDGFWGFWHGVMBHGWY*Ded*
House42

Post by House42 »

MrBlueSky7 wrote:For a WereTiger, Res' new form is pretty subtle. I was expecting him to be a bit... Bigger and maybe Buffer than that.
I can second this notion. I thought Were-Res would be a little more swol.

Also, a little incidental music for the Big Ninjas on Campus anyone?
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

House42 wrote:
MrBlueSky7 wrote:For a WereTiger, Res' new form is pretty subtle. I was expecting him to be a bit... Bigger and maybe Buffer than that.
I can second this notion. I thought Were-Res would be a little more swol.

Also, a little incidental music for the Big Ninjas on Campus anyone?
He probably changed back when the fight was over.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Soerix

Post by Soerix »

Again: pure awesomeness.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

It's entirely possible that Res is holding back the buff muscles for Max's sake. =P
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
rourkie

Post by rourkie »

I just wanted to know that I LOVE the limited color palette here. It's pretty muffins and cookies stellar!

Well done!
-Rourkie
--
"Some things are beyond the logic of our eyes and ears..."
Liam

Post by Liam »

And for the back-up track...

GO NINJA GO NINJA GO
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
Iceheart

Post by Iceheart »

I am no expert at katakana but I think those characters in panal 2 say "suta" which means star. Just a guess though.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Iceheart wrote:I am no expert at katakana but I think those characters in panal 2 say "suta" which means star. Just a guess though.
We asked Rick, and he said "suta" is the sound effect for landing on your feet.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Yeah, imagine that the 'u' is almost imperceptible and make the 'ta' nice and short but with a healthy emphasis on it :D
Star would be katakanized as スター where the extra line is important for replicating the length of the "ar" sound (especially from non-rhotacized accents)