2017/09/11 - Dunununununununun

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2017/09/11 - Dunununununununun

Post by D-Rock »

[2017/09/11 - Dunununununununun]
Title Text: ugh guys spoilers

LESTER has become AFRAID.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Saturn381

Re: 2017/09/11 - Dunununununununun

Post by Saturn381 »

He's getting that catnip no matter what.
MrBlueSky7

Post by MrBlueSky7 »

The Puzzle saying 'IEHOVAH', though. I see what ya did there, Rick... ;)
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

yep, still an addict.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

The Nerds are on the right level
but on completely the wrong map
and here comes team Sandwich,
breaking the barrier with a thunderclap.
Max is running fast, starry eyed,
straight into the bridge of death.
The nerds smartly clear the way
in case the Cat draws his last breath.
Is this why the celestials are here?
To prevent mortals shuffling off the coil?
If so, I think Rufus is now up
or Max will take his team off the boil.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

#TheMaxwellEffect
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

It looks like he's not dragging the team anymore. It's possible he may just ninja his way over the bridge with it collapsing behind him.

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
John-056

Post by John-056 »

Bandit1990 wrote:It looks like he's not dragging the team anymore. It's possible he may just ninja his way over the bridge with it collapsing behind him.
That... Or in Doing so, reveal which Tiles are the ones everyone else needs to step on. I can imagine it now.

*Max runs across the bridge, the tiles breaking behind him... And revealing which ones are the correct tiles.*

Squeak: *Blinks* Well, that solves itself.
On the next... Wire in the Blood...
HSDVGDGFWGFWHGVMBHGWY*Ded*
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

nah, he's just building up enough speed to skip it by wall-running.

also, considering one of them has a working tricorder, why not just scan the thing?
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Buster wrote:nah, he's just building up enough speed to skip it by wall-running.

also, considering one of them has a working tricorder, why not just scan the thing?
Zooming in, I think Dallas is trying that in panel #1
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Maxwell is coming in FAST!
Argent

Post by Argent »

What's with his arms? Shouldn't at least one be blue-shifted instead of red-shifted?
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
MX682XM

Post by MX682XM »

Apparently Rick hid Kitsune again.
ImageImage
VoidGaming404

Post by VoidGaming404 »

No, Maxwell, you're doing it wrong! A true ninja runs with their arms behind them :lol:
Life is like a rollercoaster, sure there's ups and downs, but you may find that it can throw you for a loop!

~VoidGaming404

Christmas Avatar was made by Jolty-Kun

Original Avatar was made by Buster
Argent

Post by Argent »

PHANTOM AGENTS FLASHBACKS

Thanks Void.

"You shot him? A gun's the last resort. Always remember, we're Phantom Agents."
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
House42

Post by House42 »

Yikes. The look on Max's face screams "Omae wa mou shindeiru" if anyone stands in his way...
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Maybe this is what you see when someone is a higher level than you =P

Maxwell looks like he's ready to pull off a really long swift strike.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
CanzetYote

Post by CanzetYote »

I pretty much lost it at Lester's face in the final panel.
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Eh, maybe you thought to find easy puzzles and riddles in the temple. :P Baby levels? Doesn't seem so. If you're really nerds, your challenges must be only with hard stuff. ;) Wow, Maxwell is coming so fast, an he's looking a cool threat, too. :D Don't underestimate them, Lester. ;) Yeah, better go away now. :P
Epic third panel and funny last panel. :D
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Just magick it, jeez!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
John-056

Post by John-056 »

Hmmm... What's the betting the Tiles spell Pete's real name? This IS his temple. And considering that his Temple was made in a time when he was dueling his sister, he would not put down her real name in the puzzles... Unless he put it there before she smacked him with that dirty trick of 'Curse of the Sacred Temple', and didn't change it because he was too frustrated at his Sister breaking Honor for a cheap trick.

Seriously, Pete was only starting out, and Spirit Dragon threw a Curse that locked him in a Temple for how many Eons, while basically building up her 'Army'. The fact that she went as far as to cheat by meddling with Mortal Affairs, i.e. Making Peanut get close with Tarot, Messing up the Weather and mucking about with Mr Byron to get Maxwell with Grape, as well as even manipulating Sabrina to be with Fido being one of the few tricks that would have got her penalized, but was only ever punished in the end.

And yes, I put down Fido. Why? Well, let's see, remember Jata? Even though she moved out, she was implied to be in contact with Dragon by that time, and Fido was one of Pete's Choices as 'Avatar'. Sasha was out for an unknown reason, with Kitsune stating she was 'Protected'. The Choices Pete had before Dragon bent/broke the rules, were, Peanut and Grape. Max was also a possibility before Dragon Manipulated events and people to work her way, since Avatars are not supposed to be in a relationship at least prior to becoming an Avatar. Though Avatars are allowed to have relationships AFTER becoming one, since we've seen Satau with what could only be his mate, and Patau seems to try and get as many females 'Close' to him.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Cheap trick? Yeah, I think it was, but I'm sure a lot of us would take a lot of advantage of any situation, like your opponent sacrificing a lead.

I'm sure if her meddling in mortal affairs is cheating, Kitsune would have been much more harsh. He did let her get away with it. It was Tarot and Sabrina who went at her for that, not Kitsune, wasn't it?

Also, it was only said that the Dream Sunderer class was required to not be in a relationship beforehand, barring the individual performing a certain action, i.e., Grape releasing Pete. That's why Pete got Bailey; she wasn't a Dream Sunderer, she was a White Avenger, which didn't seem to have a relationship requirement. Satau may not have been a class that had a relationship requirement, and Ptah wasn't an Avatar.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

What is the point in assuming the absolute worst of a situation in this comic? I struggle to understand this :? Rick is writing a story that at the end of the day always comes down to funny animals. The cosmic duel between Pete and Dragon was simply a game of D&D to settle a dispute over leadership in another D&D game they were playing. (The dispute itself was probably rather petty as sibling disputes often are). As anyone who has played or DMed for a D&D game can tell you, players try to bend the rules all the time, and it's not usually something to get your dander up over.
And we've already mentioned time and again that Dragon's meddling in relationships has always been akin to normal mortals playing matchmaker, and any feelings that developed between the two who were matched have always been natural. It's not even cheating in the slightest, as telling your followers that they should go do something is literally how the game is played. Said followers are always free to say no, so no violation of free will is happening. And it became very clear by the end that Tarot and Sabrina were plenty aware that Dragon is a bit of a whiny baby and that they were helping her of their own volition.
John-056

Post by John-056 »

D-Rock wrote:Cheap trick? Yeah, I think it was, but I'm sure a lot of us would take a lot of advantage of any situation, like your opponent sacrificing a lead.

I'm sure if her meddling in mortal affairs is cheating, Kitsune would have been much more harsh. He did let her get away with it. It was Tarot and Sabrina who went at her for that, not Kitsune, wasn't it?

Also, it was only said that the Dream Sunderer class was required to not be in a relationship beforehand, barring the individual performing a certain action, i.e., Grape releasing Pete. That's why Pete got Bailey; she wasn't a Dream Sunderer, she was a White Avenger, which didn't seem to have a relationship requirement. Satau may not have been a class that had a relationship requirement, and Ptah wasn't an Avatar.
Actually, I think Kitsune let it slide BECAUSE Dragon's Cheating became the catalyst for her defeat. As for the part with the 'Dream Sunderer', Peanut was the second Option, as you could tell when Pete said 'Dragon Interfered'. Peanut wouldn't have started a relationship with Tarot, if Dragon hadn't played Dirty... Twice.

I mean, don't you find it odd that Mr Byron kicked Maxwell out of the house and into the Pouring rain for no apparent reason? This being the same guy who PUNCHED JOEL in the Face just as he finished saying 'PETA'? Sasha's Owner is the one who leaves his pet to suffer for little to no reason, not Byron. Tarot was the one to egg Grape to do it, not Grape. She treated it like it was World ending, even though it was revealed to have never been the case.

I mean, Pete was at least somewhat honest to potential avatars, while Dragon had to constantly lie to her avatars, which turned out to be her undoing in the end. Pete's was because he was a jerk. Dragon was because she kept lying and cheating. I mean, Kitsune let multiple Cheats Slide because he KNEW they would prove to be her downfall. Seriously, he knew about the time travel, and still let it slide. As a matter of fact, it's likely he did so because he knew that someone would send Satau back, that they would be dragged back too, and that they'd be smart enough to set the ball rolling.

Seriously, because of Dragon cheating, it resulted in events unfolding as they did. Dragon's crush on Peanut, which resulted in Dragon having to 'up her game' and weaken her bond with Tarot, Pete getting the idea of trying to use Grape as an Avatar... It comes together.
Obbl wrote:What is the point in assuming the absolute worst of a situation in this comic? I struggle to understand this :? Rick is writing a story that at the end of the day always comes down to funny animals. The cosmic duel between Pete and Dragon was simply a game of D&D to settle a dispute over leadership in another D&D game they were playing. (The dispute itself was probably rather petty as sibling disputes often are). As anyone who has played or DMed for a D&D game can tell you, players try to bend the rules all the time, and it's not usually something to get your dander up over.

And we've already mentioned time and again that Dragon's meddling in relationships has always been akin to normal mortals playing matchmaker, and any feelings that developed between the two who were matched have always been natural. It's not even cheating in the slightest, as telling your followers that they should go do something is literally how the game is played. Said followers are always free to say no, so no violation of free will is happening. And it became very clear by the end that Tarot and Sabrina were plenty aware that Dragon is a bit of a whiny baby and that they were helping her of their own volition.
Put it from a 'Mortal's' perspective. You're being manipulated into likely getting killed just to be what's little more than a plaything to a 'god'. No one likes being a Puppet on string's for one's amusement. Just look at Deus Ex. All those people, so many lives, treated like Puppets to satisfy the greed of rich people even when it brought humanity and the world to ruin.

The Cosmic Nerds may have not been Rich People, but they're immortals who're playing with the strings of Mortals, jerking them to do whatever they want. It's one thing to have rules around, but compared to DnD players, who are just toying with cards and figurines that can't exactly talk about moralities and only have a Dungeon Master tell them what to do, we're looking at Immortals who are fully aware they're alive and able to talk back to them without the need of a Dungeon Master to create them OR to give them Voice. THAT'S the Difference! We're just mortals playing with Toys. They're Immortals Playing with Living Creatures.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

You're really determined to make Dragon a cheater. This truly isn't the case.

And, again, this is all voluntary on Tarot and Sabrina's part. They are doing this because they want to. Sabrina even specifically stated her motives for getting involved. It's celestial beings playing a game with the mortals' consent. If you want to build up the Celestials into the most vile and evil of beings ever, you're really not going to get much sympathy from me when that creates such a dour attitude in your mind toward the events that have unfolded. Rick did his best to show us how much this game is about working together with mortals in order to enjoy interacting with beings whose lives are so drastically different from their own. And sometimes they lose track of that in the petty squabbling, but that's why the mortals ended up boycotting the duel, which they were capable of doing because it's not just celestial beings using mortals as mere playthings.
John-056

Post by John-056 »

Obbl wrote:You're really determined to make Dragon a cheater. This truly isn't the case.

And, again, this is all voluntary on Tarot and Sabrina's part. They are doing this because they want to. Sabrina even specifically stated her motives for getting involved. It's celestial beings playing a game with the mortals' consent. If you want to build up the Celestials into the most vile and evil of beings ever, you're really not going to get much sympathy from me when that creates such a dour attitude in your mind toward the events that have unfolded. Rick did his best to show us how much this game is about working together with mortals in order to enjoy interacting with beings whose lives are so drastically different from their own. And sometimes they lose track of that in the petty squabbling, but that's why the mortals ended up boycotting the duel, which they were capable of doing because it's not just celestial beings using mortals as mere playthings.
Please note I'm not saying They're Evil. AND, I never said Pete was any better. I was saying her Actions lead to her downfall BECAUSE she wanted to win. Pete's was similar, but mostly because he'd been a Jerk to King, such as taking away his form when he promised earlier to make him keep it and abused a Loophole.

And before you have a Go at me with it 'Being Voluntary', I KNOW. They did so on their Own, but frankly, they blinded themselves to what was there. They claim they wanted to do good, or at least, SABRINA did, since Tarot's shocked when she said that in the Aussie arc.

Here's a saying to go with what that means: The Road to (Heck) is paved with good intentions. Sabrina HAD good intentions, even though she knew they were causing more problems in the long run.

And here's the thing, you're looking at it in Black and White. I'M looking at it from a Grey Area. Fact is, I know full well that they knew what they were doing, but Tarot at first had no real love for Peanut, only getting attracted once she, and by extension, Dragon, got to know him better. Sabrina's isn't clear, however. Still, here's another thing. At the end of the Arc, when Pete and Dragon have to start their Fifty Years of living as Mortals, Pete expresses how SCARED he is.

That's the reason for much of his actions. Fear. He doesn't know what it's going to be like to BE a Mortal. To no longer be an invincible, reality Warping Being who can't die normally. He'd be a Squishy, Powerless being, who can die from just about any means. Dragon had too much of an advantage, having built up a rep of being a 'Good God'... And no, that wasn't intentional, and had multiple avatars. I'm not condoning his actions, but had he gotten an avatar much earlier, much of the problem would have solved itself since they would have been on equal grounds... Or relatively speaking if she used the spell later.

Which brings things back to Kitsune. He knew that Dragon would bend as many rules as she can to win, so he purposely looked away to make sure that she'd slip up, then letting both her's and Pete's mistakes come back and bite them.

And here's another point I'm bringing up. YOU'RE saying they're Evil. Not me. I never used the Word 'Evil' Once until you used it.

The part where I pointed out, 'Using Mortals' like puppets is because of the fact that much of the time, Tarot seemed to THINK, or at least, tried to Manipulate Peanut AND Grape to NOT release Pete, with the only truthful term of the statement being he was a Jerk. Pete didn't want to end the world, or bring destruction. He just wanted to win a game. Dragon, and Tarot were willing to lie and Manipulate others to win, since the only one in 'Grave Peril', was Dragon. Pete's been known to get attached to his Avatars, as was shown in a flashback. Same doesn't SEEM to apply for Dragon.

And Here's the Part I'm having to Drive in Again. NOT EVIL. Manipulative and untruthful, yes, but NOT EVIL.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

.... And, although "the game" officially ended and Pete and Dragon made mortal as penalty for failure to control their chess pieces, the reverberations continue. Do celestial talk to each other - has Kitsune coordinated with Breel, Ralph, Summer and Spring or is there a whole maelstrom of motives at play?

Oh, and to the current strip.... If the Geeks had just stood their ground long enough to realize a hyperactivated Maxwell's still just (yawn) our favorite poseur "got nuthin'" kitty cat, they'd been ... well, they'd still be nerds, wouldn't they? Just nerds with a deflated, embarrassed Maxwell...