2017/10/20 - A Real Puzzle

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2017/10/20 - A Real Puzzle

Post by D-Rock »

[2017/10/20 - A Real Puzzle]
Title Text: and the only one with an actual hat

Seems legit.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Saturn381

Re: 2017/10/20 - A Real Puzzle

Post by Saturn381 »

Plus the name Riddler was already taken. :P
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

And now the cats are afraid;
Peanut’s found the card to be played.
He reaches in and scribbles on
and becomes a real puzzle Don.
So the mutt become a right Riddler,
a conundrum solution pedlar,
the luckiest leprechaun in the set
and just as tricky as you can get.
Has it increased his intelligence
like it’s increased his elegance?
Or is he just going to feel a prat,
even in such a magnificent hat?
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

OH NO IT'S THE RIDDLER-

Waaaait, it's just Peanut !
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

If Peanut could just make up a class and the temple will make it real, then how is it that he hasn't jumped to the obvious conclusion of simply giving himself the Spot the Superdog class?
MX682XM

Post by MX682XM »

Apparently he didn't get a hat at the Puzzle with Petes name
leinglo wrote:If Peanut could just make up a class and the temple will make it real, then how is it that he hasn't jumped to the obvious conclusion of simply giving himself the Spot the Superdog class?

The Temple only amplifies ones abilities. Peanut just don't have Spots abilities at all, so nothing to amplify[/quote]
Last edited by D-Rock on Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mod Edit: If your own post was the most recent and little time has passed, please use the Edit button.
ImageImage
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Heheh pretty smart pup! Now they should be able to get through anything the temple throws at them.
John-056

Post by John-056 »

He just wasted his role as a Medic. He's Not a healer.

I just know it's going to bite them even more now. Being a 'Puzzle Master' means he's got no Powers... Unless he's now the Pet version of Roman Torchwick, then that would mean he'd have the Guile to better help his team.

If not, then Team Sandwich has been doomed six ways to Saturday, since unless the 'Puzzle Master' has Magic, he's only able to deal with Puzzles and Traps.

Helpful in short term, and likely post Boss-Fights in case of End Game and puzzles to unlock Weapons and spell books that (hopefully) can be used by 'Puzzle Master', but once they have to deal with Monsters and Boss-Level Foes, they're back to square one, since they have no healer, and have been left behind by Team Tarot.
On the next... Wire in the Blood...
HSDVGDGFWGFWHGVMBHGWY*Ded*
Argent

Post by Argent »

MX682XM wrote:The Temple only amplifies ones abilities. Peanut just don't have Spots abilities at all, so nothing to amplify
Where do you get that? Pretty sure Dallas' abilities don't include phasers.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Soerix

Post by Soerix »

Pretty clever! A bit like the old trick of asking the genie for an infinite number of wishes.
Plus, this hat looks good on you, Peanut! :)
But you're almost a little mean by sticking out your tongue at Res.
John-056

Post by John-056 »

Argent wrote:
MX682XM wrote:The Temple only amplifies one's abilities. Peanut just don't have Spot's abilities at all, so nothing to amplify
Agreed. The Temple Gives powers to those who wear certain hats/headgear. Wanna become a Cleric? Wear the Hat of one. Alucard? Wear that big red hat of his.

Oddly enough, it only counts if it's a Headgear, for some weird reason. Hek, if you slapped on stickers shaped like Renamon's 'W' shaped markings on your face and waltzed right in, you'd probably become a Renamon of what your gender is.

I mean, it's never shown what happens if anyone walked in without any headgear and just wore the clothes of the character or the class. Then again, the only ones where we got the info from, was from Sabrina and Keene Milton. It's not really clear if it's headgear only, or if it's actually a preference on the part of the Pets and you can wear any form of attire as long as it matches the character/class.

(Edit) However, I've now realized something. Peanut's the only one who's going to be having no Magic Power or Skill. I mean, Maxwell and Grape are going to be Leaving with Ninja Skills and Powers, Res is leaving as a Weretiger, Fox is now a Warrior class with resulting buffs to Endurance, Stamina and Melee skills, and Mungo's inherited his ancestor's powers.

What does Peanut walk out with? Nothing. He's basically likely now got the Power to Solve any puzzle by touching or looking at it... And nothing else. Unless he finds a Spell Book, he's going to be a Useless Class when Combat rolls in. Even worse? He's broken what he said at the start, that he would be a Healing Class. Unless there's a Deus Ex Machina that Rick's gonna pull, OR he finds a Spellbook with Healing and Combat Spells he can use, or a Decent Weapon he can Learn to use Quickly, if being a 'Puzzle Master' has any passives like that, he's Doomed his Team for the sake of a HAT.

Maybe he should start a STUPID HAT CLUB!!
On the next... Wire in the Blood...
HSDVGDGFWGFWHGVMBHGWY*Ded*
Not A Furry

Post by Not A Furry »

Seems like Peanut is eager to learn the temple's penalty for choosing to be a "temple beater"
Frank

Post by Frank »

Points for not having Peanut's ears stick out
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

Not A Furry wrote:Seems like Peanut is eager to learn the temple's penalty for choosing to be a "temple beater"
It's obviously having to wear a top hat version of the Riddler's hat. xD

I like that hat - nice choice, Peanut!
ImageIf life gives you lemons, ask for salt and tequila.

Image Image
ImageImageImage
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

his class makes about as much sense as D&D bards do...
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
MrParaduo

Post by MrParaduo »

Not A Furry wrote:Image

Seems like Peanut is eager to learn the temple's penalty for choosing to be a "temple beater"
Pfft, I never saw the 'wish for more wishes' wish as the perfect crime. A genie (or deity) could easily corrupt it. "You wish for more wishes? Alright! You now have more wishes you want to make, but I don't have to answer them~!"

Or even--

"Alright! You have as many wishes as you want, but you can't decide on which one to ask first!"

Or how about--

"Can do! You get as many wishes as you want! ...Eventually. Sometime in the next millennium."

Just as there are grains of sand in the desert, so too are the number of ways you can corrupt such a bone-headed wish.
There are many words and phrases that can cause an experienced wizard to tremble in fear. Chief among them being "oops."
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

I honestly think this is pretty clever. The cats already provide a lot of fire power, now they have someone for the deadly riddles. I think that made the last paper bag a nice red herring in some sort, I mean how many expected Peanut to use it to become Spot (the superdog)? :mrgreen:
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Well, it's original, but now who's the healer? Of all classes, the healer is the absolute most important for group delves!
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
TheOne
Location: Trapped in the center of the Galaxy. Need a starship to get out!

Post by TheOne »

Somehow I venture that Puzzle Master is more than just puzzles and traps. Riddle me this: If you got into a combat scenario, and the opponent had one weakness, like Kryptonite to Superman, who would be the first one to figure it out and take advantage? Probably Puzzle Master.
Also, the Temple seems to be giving challenges based on what powers it gives. Peanut fell into a trap because Mungo had flight abilities. Grape, Max, and Res fought a bunch of whatnots because they had fighting abilities. So, I think the Temple provides challenges based on what abilities the characters have. When the group meets a boss-level character, they will undoubtedly face a character that matches the group's abilities. If Peanut had chosen to be a Healer, then the group would have to take damage for him to need that ability. With Peanut as a Puzzle Master, the Temple's boss character will be subject to whatever trick Peanut figures out.
Dag nabbed petty annoyances...
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

To be fair, healing does make things go slower. And time isn't something the team has right now. Should've been a time wizard :3

I like how Peanut's ears are hidden by the hat. x3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
TheOne
Location: Trapped in the center of the Galaxy. Need a starship to get out!

Post by TheOne »

GameCobra wrote:To be fair, healing does make things go slower. And time isn't something the team has right now. Should've been a time wizard :3

I like how Peanut's ears are hidden by the hat. x3
Maybe hr should've written The Doctor instead?
Dag nabbed petty annoyances...
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

but that might get misinterpreted as just a normal doctor unless it's written in traditional galefreyan. does peanut know traditional galefreyan?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
MX682XM

Post by MX682XM »

Argent wrote:
MX682XM wrote:The Temple only amplifies ones abilities. Peanut just don't have Spots abilities at all, so nothing to amplify
I got that from that strip http://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/201 ... h-of-spot/

but I totally forgot about that one http://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/201 ... -on-paper/
ImageImage
CanzetYote

Post by CanzetYote »

Peanut is so adorable when he's attempting to cosplay as The Riddler.
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

TheOne wrote:Also, the Temple seems to be giving challenges based on what powers it gives. Peanut fell into a trap because Mungo had flight abilities. Grape, Max, and Res fought a bunch of whatnots because they had fighting abilities. So, I think the Temple provides challenges based on what abilities the characters have.
Yeah, the other teams aren't particularly balanced either.

Besides, modern RPG design is moving away from the balanced party, most of the GM guides I've read lately recommend building encounters for the group you have. Don't have a cleric? Then don't throw out challenges that require one, and put extra healing potions in the treasure.

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
Timon64

Post by Timon64 »

Find it pretty sweet that thanks to a little push from Tarot, Peanut has finally decided on his role in this dungeon and man he looks boss! Time to show a certain Pom your worth. good luck! >=)
....Count on it!
Argent

Post by Argent »

If Puzzle Master gives Xanatos Powers that would be pretty useful.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Argent wrote:If Puzzle Master gives Xanatos Powers that would be pretty useful.
to activate these powers - Peanut needs a beard and the voice of Jonathan Franks
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Oh, finally Peanut has a role. :D A very original one, actually, let's see if it'll be useful for the puzzles in the temple. ;) Well, do this wouldn't be fair in terms of preparation lacking, but who cares. :P Yeah, it's the temple that decides, Res. Nyeh! :P So, after the elimination of the nerds' team, now it's going to be Peanut's team against Tarot's team... What a battle. :)
Argent

Post by Argent »

GameCobra wrote:Peanut needs a beard and the voice of Jonathan Franks
Frakes.

Also, beards on furries are really weird.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

unless it's a Scottish Terrier, then the absence of long facial hair looks weird.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Buster wrote:unless it's a Scottish Terrier, then the absence of long facial hair looks weird.
That's not really a beard because it's fur and not hair.
Adoring Fan

Post by Adoring Fan »

MX682XM wrote:Apparently he didn't get a hat at the Puzzle with Petes name
leinglo wrote:If Peanut could just make up a class and the temple will make it real, then how is it that he hasn't jumped to the obvious conclusion of simply giving himself the Spot the Superdog class?

The Temple only amplifies ones abilities. Peanut just don't have Spots abilities at all, so nothing to amplify
[/quote]

I might buy that if we it wasn't already disproved twice and even commented on in that way. Unless your suggesting that group B has latent magical powers and a Federation Star ship already in orbit when they entered. In any case, even though i find it hard to believe that Peanut wouldnt choose spot i can understand why rick didn't want to make him the dog version of superman. Invincibly punching straight through the temple to the end *would* be sort of anticlimactic even if it is the more logical choice...

Though this all makes me wonder what would happen if he had written "DM" on his hat.. I mean just how far does the temples leeway go?
Image Image
Argent

Post by Argent »

Adoring Fan wrote:Though this all makes me wonder what would happen if he had written "DM" on his hat.. I mean just how far does the temples leeway go?
That would be like the Sorting Hat choosing "Headmaster".
Connorses

Post by Connorses »

I can see Rick really wanted to fit in the big panel for the dramatic reveal, and I appreciate it, but I can't ignore the arrows. If you felt the need to use tiny red arrows, you should figure out a different layout.
max7345
Location: Yuma, AZ (Also known as drought-city and oven-town during the Summer)

Post by max7345 »

You sure about that? Because I'm pretty certain that Mungo didn't have the ability to fly before entering the Temple.
TendoTwo

Post by TendoTwo »

Wow, I feel stupid for not realizing that was a Riddler reference, I thought it was a Miitopia reference since there is a character called the "Quiz Master" who has a hat that looks exactly like that.
justacritic

Post by justacritic »

Actually depending on how Rick rules on the Puzzle Master's abilities, Peanut may just have stumbled upon a balance breaking class. Why? Because at first glance this class seems to be invested in the most dangerous of resources, information. Depending on how the meaning of the term "puzzle" is defined. Peanut might just end up with knowledge of how to solve obstacles in his way with ridiculous scope of effects.

Some definitions of puzzle are
" to offer or represent to (someone) a problem difficult to solve or a situation difficult to resolve "

and

"to solve with difficulty or ingenuity"

What are problems, questions, or difficulties but puzzles to solve? And Peanut's class might just give him the answer to questions that would be dangerous to answer. Such as

"How do I make it so my parents would buy that canned dog food?"

"Where can I find evidence of *insert mythical creature here*?"

"Why does Grape nap so much?"
or more pressingly

"How do we make it so humans and animals are treated as equals?"

And depending on the limits on the Class, it might just force an answer to exist when in the beginning there was none.
TicoTaco

Post by TicoTaco »

That's actually a smart move Peanut did
WAKE UP AMERICA!!!
Adoring Fan

Post by Adoring Fan »

Oh the upside Peanut looks awesome in the hat!
Image Image