2017/11/17 - Descent

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
TeflonCougar

Re: 2017/11/17 - Descent

Post by TeflonCougar »

Buster wrote:
TeflonCougar wrote:So, Dallas' universal translator also works on limericks?
actually, it shouldn't. the UT has been shown, repeatedly, to have trouble with overly roundabouts speech patterns. The best example being from the TNG episode "Darmok".
That was anecdote without context.They knew what a wall was, what to fall means, they just had no idea what a Shaka was.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

This one made me giggle multiple times. <3
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
MX682XM

Post by MX682XM »

Grape knows Peanut better than Tarot: Grape hang on Peanut before he rushed away. Tarot didn't. Wounder what she says....
ImageImage
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

TeflonCougar wrote:
Buster wrote:
actually, it shouldn't. the UT has been shown, repeatedly, to have trouble with overly roundabouts speech patterns. The best example being from the TNG episode "Darmok".
That was anecdote without context.They knew what a wall was, what to fall means, they just had no idea what a Shaka was.
Except the sentence as spoken made no sense until they realized that the translator was only converting the words into English, not deciphering the string of out-of-context metaphors being said. The whole reason it was having problems was the language being almost entirely metaphors. and it's far from the only time it's gotten fouled up like that. it would likely be just as useless with someone speaking entirely in limericks, as Limericks aren't a language any more than metaphors are.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
rourkie

Post by rourkie »

B-89 huh? Seems like there is nothing challenging about that room...

Moreover: Is it like... All the cake you want? Or just one slice per person? And if the former, is there a short cut? I'm asking for a friend...
--
"Some things are beyond the logic of our eyes and ears..."
Argent

Post by Argent »

Buster wrote:Except the sentence as spoken made no sense until they realized that the translator was only converting the words into English, not deciphering the string of out-of-context metaphors being said.
That's not the fault of the translator, any more than it would be wrong for translating a lie accurately without indicating that it was false.

It was also a total rip off of the Asceans in Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
TeflonCougar

Post by TeflonCougar »

[/quote] Except the sentence as spoken made no sense until they realized that the translator was only converting the words into English, not deciphering the string of out-of-context metaphors being said. The whole reason it was having problems was the language being almost entirely metaphors. and it's far from the only time it's gotten fouled up like that. it would likely be just as useless with someone speaking entirely in limericks, as Limericks aren't a language any more than metaphors are.[/quote]

All arguments are irrelevant as Star Trek does not exist in either our world or the Pets' world. Puzzle Master is not seen as a legitimate class, yet Peanut got the hat and the powers. Neither Max nor Grape have any known advanced martial skills, yet were made ninjas. The Temple responds to the intent of the player to shape their character class. So if Dallas believes his devices will translate the limericks into useful intel, then the temple will provide.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Maybe Dallas has a "De-Obfuscation" app that translates the Old Man's limericks into plain English...? True, everybody else had no trouble understanding him, despite the perplexity of his poetics. Another thought - maybe, because we are in the temple, the Hermit's limericks become even more challenging and obscure because that how he wants them to miscommunicate. Regards.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

just occurred to me, why is max the one who keeps getting stuck with the orcs when that's the perfect type of challenge for Fox, Tarot, Mungo, & Res?
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

Because Max is comic relief and seeing him run away is funny?

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
TeflonCougar

Post by TeflonCougar »

Buster wrote:just occurred to me, why is max the one who keeps getting stuck with the orcs when that's the perfect type of challenge for Fox, Tarot, Mungo, & Res?
It's because the orcs are out of his element that it makes a good challenge for Max, maybe?
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Or maybe Fox,Tarot, Mungo, and Res are out of the Orcs' element and poor Maxwell is just soooooo much fun for them to mess with... He does do ABSOLUTELY TERRIFIED so well!

Regards.
Naro Rivers

Post by Naro Rivers »

Saturn381 wrote:How did Karishad get here? :lol:
Because Karishad.
John-056 wrote:
Iceheart wrote:You forgot Floor B-52, the Rock Lobster room
Where do you think the Cakes and Tea in B-89 came from? Kinda interesting that Grape's giving Tarot a look of deep mistrust.
Well, she did leave them behind...
Buster wrote:
Was that the one with the species that spoke entirely in historical references?
Buster wrote:just occurred to me, why is max the one who keeps getting stuck with the orcs when that's the perfect type of challenge for Fox, Tarot, Mungo, & Res?
Comedic effect?
It's difficult to wear gloves with webbed fingers...

When talking about a character, I often speak in D&D terms.

I'm participating in a forum game! You can find it here:
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Kitsune ... He's got a play in this game, too.
TOPCATDIGIANIMEFAN

Post by TOPCATDIGIANIMEFAN »

IWonder What They Are Saying" (Grape) TAROT" (TAROT) GRAPE "