He’ll never give up, this happy pup
bright is the sun, not the moon.
When the light goes down on this clown
he’ll be grinning, if not winning.
He’s got no plan, he never does
inspired is not restrained.
But going into this and not running
means Peanut’s gonna get maimed...
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Re: 2018/01/17 - TPW

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Peanut: FOX IS HERE!

Peanut: FOX IS DEAD!!!
ImageImageImageImage
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

“how it feels to be on the giving and/or receiving end of a team wipe; following an incompetent in-game leader; that time your tank and healer tried to initiate a team fight but nobody followed them onto the point and the enemy team had their way with you”
So…Peanut is Leeroy Jenkins?

Also I feel like the threat of the Forgotten, a world, if not reality-ending daemon, has been diminished a bit if getting into a fight with it only results in being knocked out with no visible injuries. I know those temple-powered classes apparently make people more durable, but still. What did the Forgotten even do in three seconds?
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

If I had to guess, it looks like they were thrown back by some kind of energy pulse, or maybe a shield.

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

FIGHTERS, ASSEMBL-

ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

Bandit1990 wrote:If I had to guess, it looks like they were thrown back by some kind of energy pulse, or maybe a shield.
That'd be my guess as well. It's just, I kinda would've wanted to see that too. A jump cut to the end result is funny, sure, but it also would've been cool to have one big panel of the Forgotten just roaring and the force of it is enough to send the whole group flying.

I expect no expense to spared in portraying apocalyptic monsters.
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

leinglo wrote:What did the Forgotten even do in three seconds?
ImageImageImageImage
Keldor

Post by Keldor »

Well, that went about as well as could be expected.
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

I want to be sorry, Rick, I really do, but I'm not.
Carlitosfmc

Post by Carlitosfmc »

And that’s why you need to study the fight mechanics.

Also, Max isn’t down, maybe he can pull a critical hit now that the Boss it’s distracted.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Okay, Max, spotlight on talent .... oh, yeah, that...sorry.

Well, at my age and my stage, I've seen too many episodes where dynamic, giddy, fast-paced models of leadership took folks dashing enthusiastically into the Inferno with similar or more catastrophic results. Still, a very tastefully arranged tableau, eh?
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

D-Rock wrote:Let's see, we got two ninjas, a black wizard, a black mage, two warriors, a white wizard, a magical berserker, a defender, a were-tiger, a puzzle master, four angels, a demi-god, and whatever Keene is. All against a being of the depths.

Well, if I can take on the embodiment of humanities desire for death with a jokester, a dog, an archer, and an android, why not?

Though admittedly, that was a pretty tough boss.
Also admittedly, said jokester, dog, archer, and android had access to the spirits of legendary heroes, gods, and mythological creatures, so :?
CHAOKOCartoons wrote:Peanut: FOX IS HERE!

Peanut: FOX IS DEAD!!!
Hilariously derailing one-liner.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

D-Rock wrote:Also admittedly, said jokester, dog, archer, and android had access to the spirits of legendary heroes, gods, and mythological creatures, so :?
These guys have access to a Kitsune and a Karishad. They really shouldn't be loosing. :lol:
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
vulpinator

Post by vulpinator »

Pictured: Karishad after the attack.
Attachments
C8B2342D-E4D1-4219-9E32-A4B642A33E6C.gif
C8B2342D-E4D1-4219-9E32-A4B642A33E6C.gif (154.8 KiB) Viewed 25292 times
John-056

Post by John-056 »

I am really getting disappointed now. Rick has put this up as a serious Arc, he's made it look like the end times... And yet, I feel nothing. No Laughter, No anticipation. It feels boring.

It feels like playing Skyrim, having worked my Tailbone to get to the Final boss, the End Bringer, the one who will end the world if I don't made Mashed Potato out of his face... And then get a Sub Par boss who feels like an Average Run of the Mill Super Foe. A Hek of a load of Disappointment... Like sticking two pieces of bread and calling it a sandwich.

I know it's just the start, but everytime I see Awesome scenes, I subconciously hope it would get bigger and better... Only for the NEXT page to just go, "Awesome scene is Done! Bring in the Dancing Lobsters!" It feels Like a revert to Status Quo, Only rather than negative continuity, something I am honestly thankful for, it instead reverts the Genre. One minute, we've got what's to seemingly be a great big action scene, or a great battle... Then we turn a page, and suddenly, Boom! The Action is punched Below The Belt and SUDDENLY, everything is a big joke, no matter what's at Stake!

It's fine in a 'normal' or not so serious moment, Such as Sabrina chatting about The Realms and getting annoyed when Peanut isn't even phased as he causally leans on The Forth Wall, but when it happens in something like this, then it just falls apart. And to you DBZA Fans, that Brand of Humor isn't PG-13, which makes me sad.

Frankly, Unless Rick is ACTUALLY planning something big with this arc, I won't be enjoying this, since if everything is to be laughed at, then the past week of One Shot Funny Pages would have been a waste, since he may as well have just started the Pages once January rolled in... Unless all that time was to just cobble together all the Big art work... Which while impressive, won't matter if the Arc is basically a repeat of the Celestial Duel's end, which tells us the Stakes were nothing worth looking at, and just gives us reason to Hate either Pete, Dragon, both of them, or however you interprete It, Great Kitsune himself.

I want to see some character development in many of the Pets in the Dungeon, Such as Peanut, who seems to not be getting smarter or any more mature, which has been something I've noted has been Stunted since Tarot walked in while he was in a vulnerable state of mind, or Lester, who's personality is basically "Snarky Jerk Nerd", Maxwell is another, but I am uncertain if he should, Grape's had a few, though I am uncertain if she needs more, Joey's out, since He's comparitively more open after moving in with Squeak, Mungo... Well, what kind of Developments would he even need to began with!?

Fox has already gone though several, since he started as one of Bino's main Enforcers in the G.O.D.C, then changed after meeting King, Changed again after the 'Date with Sasha', then changed once more after dealing with Bino as a K9 rookie and then after dealing with 'the Sasha Case'. He's has too many character Development arcs, the Only other one taking up more, was King himself, and the ex-human Corgi NEEDED those arcs!

And before anyone has a Go at me, I DON'T want a Character Development to be sudden and rushed! I just want a few of the Pets in the Dungeon to get some Development by the end of the entire Arc, and I won't mind Fox getting mature, but he better NOT be the Only one to Develop Character! I expect some of them to mature, or get smarter!
Last edited by John-056 on Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
On the next... Wire in the Blood...
HSDVGDGFWGFWHGVMBHGWY*Ded*
vulpinator

Post by vulpinator »

Wow, these guys got wiped out even faster than my team facing Ultra Necrozma!
Carlitosfmc wrote:And that’s why you need to study the fight mechanics.

Also, Max isn’t down, maybe he can pull a critical hit now that the Boss it’s distracted.
Didn’t Max teleport to Keene though?
CanzetYote

Post by CanzetYote »

Yeah, they're gonna need a celestial to fight that thing.....
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Also, I like Res in the second panel.
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

Emotional climax and satisfactory defeating of boss through teamwork DENIED!
John-056 wrote:I know it's just the start, but everytime I see Awesome scenes, I subconciously hope it would get bigger and better... Only for the NEXT page to just go, "Awesome scene is Done! Bring in the Dancing Lobsters!" It feels Like a revert to Status Quo, Only rather than negative continuity, something I am honestly thankful for, it instead reverts the Genre. One minute, we've got what's to seemingly be a great big action scene, or a great battle... Then we turn a page, and suddenly, Boom! The Action is punched Below The Belt and SUDDENLY, everything is a big joke, no matter what's at Stake!

It's fine in a 'normal' or not so serious moment, Such as Sabrina chatting about The Realms and getting annoyed when Peanut isn't even phased as he causally leans on The Forth Wall, but when it happens in something like this, then it just falls apart. And to you DBZA Fans, that Brand of Humor isn't PG-13, which makes me sad.
As I said before, drama does not tend to mix well with “slice-of-life-slash-romantic-comedy about animals” (with a little fantasy multiverse nonsense). It’s like trying to pour soy sauce on ice cream. As much as you want the soy sauce, it’s not going to taste good on ice cream. You need rice or gyozas for soy sauce, and sprinkles/fudge for ice cream. I’m not saying you can’t have both - just don’t mix them into one and expect it to be delicious.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I can see Rick is trying to draw every Final Fantasy K.O/Death Animation =3

John-056 wrote:I am really getting disappointed now. Rick has put this up as a serious Arc, he's made it look like the end times... And yet, I feel nothing. No Laughter, No anticipation. It feels boring.

It feels like playing Skyrim, having worked my Tailbone to get to the Final boss, the End Bringer, the one who will end the world if I don't made Mashed Potato out of his face... And then get a Sub Par boss who feels like an Average Run of the Mill Super Foe. A Hek of a load of Disappointment... Like sticking two pieces of bread and calling it a sandwich.

I know it's just the start, but everytime I see Awesome scenes, I subconciously hope it would get bigger and better... Only for the NEXT page to just go, "Awesome scene is Done! Bring in the Dancing Lobsters!" It feels Like a revert to Status Quo, Only rather than negative continuity, something I am honestly thankful for, it instead reverts the Genre. One minute, we've got what's to seemingly be a great big action scene, or a great battle... Then we turn a page, and suddenly, Boom! The Action is punched Below The Belt and SUDDENLY, everything is a big joke, no matter what's at Stake!

Frankly, Unless Rick is ACTUALLY planning something big with this arc, I won't be enjoying this, since if everything is to be laughed at, then the past week of One Shot Funny Pages would have been a waste, since he may as well have just started the Pages once January rolled in... Unless all that time was to just cobble together all the Big art work... Which while impressive, won't matter if the Arc is basically a repeat of the Celestial Duel's end, which tells us the Stakes were nothing worth looking at, and just gives us reason to Hate either Pete, Dragon, both of them, or however you interprete It, Great Kitsune himself.

I want to see some character development in many of the Pets in the Dungeon, Such as Peanut, who seems to not be getting smarter or any more mature, which has been something I've noted has been Stunted since Tarot walked in while he was in a vulnerable state of mind, or Lester, who's personality is basically "Snarky Jerk Nerd", Maxwell is another, but I am uncertain if he should, Grape's had a few, though I am uncertain if she needs more, Joey's out, since He's comparitively more open after moving in with Squeak, Mungo... Well, what kind of Developments would he even need to began with!?

Fox has already gone though several, since he started as one of Bino's main Enforcers in the G.O.D.C, then changed after meeting King, Changed again after the 'Date with Sasha', then changed once more after dealing with Bino as a K9 rookie and then after dealing with 'the Sasha Case'. He's has too many character Development arcs, the Only other one taking up more, was King himself, and the ex-human Corgi NEEDED those arcs!

And before anyone has a Go at me, I DON'T want a Character Development to be sudden and rushed! I just want a few of the Pets in the Dungeon to get some Development by the end of the entire Arc, and I won't mind Fox getting mature, but he better NOT be the Only one to Develop Character! I expect some of them to mature, or get smarter!
While I understand the frustration, you gotta realize that the whole point of today's comic was to show how outclassed everyone is outside the celestials. We didn't see Breel, Rufus and the heavenly huskies down on the ground. Funny enough, we don't see Tarot and Max down either... or Keene.

That being said, it's too early to make a real judgement call I find.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

Also, on a more lighthearted and less frustrated note, I would point out that in all fairness the respective parties have done no grinding at all, simply cutting straight through to the end of the dungeon. Since when, in any RPG, has that ever left you ready for the final boss?
Douglas Collier

GameCobra wrote:While I understand the frustration, you gotta realize that the whole point of today's comic was to show how outclassed everyone is outside the celestials. We didn't see Breel, Rufus and the heavenly huskies down on the ground. Funny enough, we don't see Tarot and Max down either... or Keene.

That being said, it's too early to make a real judgement call I find.
I think we’re being quick to make rash judgements based on the way we skipped through most of the dungeon to get here, followed by not even getting to see the party fight the boss. Kinda feels like, ever since the pets entered the temple, natural flow has been neglected in this arc in favor of quick progression - lots of jumps to get to the end.
leinglo wrote:Also, on a more lighthearted and less frustrated note, I would point out that in all fairness the respective parties have done no grinding at all, simply cutting straight through to the end of the dungeon. Since when, in any RPG, has that ever left you ready for the final boss?
Basically this, but with the story.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Yeah, great idea, Peanut! :) Together you'll be stronger against this terrifying enemy... Or maybe not. ;) Wow, defeated in three seconds... :P You all should be fine, anyway. :)
TendoTwo

Post by TendoTwo »

Adoring Fan

Post by Adoring Fan »

I am guessing Kitsune will show up to fix this.
Image Image
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

..... or Keene's Mom.
Douglas Collier

NHWestoN wrote:..... or Keene's Mom.
Or Mr. Milton, since he technically sent Keene on this quest to “fix everything”. Any consequences are on him (or Pete, who made the human/animal equality promise to begin with - but he’s already serving time; maybe he’ll serve a second life sentence? Or maybe Kitsune should be held responsible for not cleaning up after the game).
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

The Martin "wrecks it" !
The Ferret "corrects it" !
Why not ........ ? :lol:
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Douglas Collier wrote:
NHWestoN wrote:..... or Keene's Mom.
Or Mr. Milton, since he technically sent Keene on this quest to “fix everything”. Any consequences are on him (or Pete, who made the human/animal equality promise to begin with - but he’s already serving time; maybe he’ll serve a second life sentence? Or maybe Kitsune should be held responsible for not cleaning up after the game).
I mean I don't see how either are of the equivalent of Kitsune but I guess it would make sense for them to at least show up :lol:
Angels are only a teer or two above mortals from what it seems, I highly doubt they have the power to stop a giant demonic celestial. Perhaps the knowledge though...
ImageImageImageImage
Argent

Post by Argent »

I still say Rufus and a dead chicken.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
BasedDook

Post by BasedDook »

John-056 wrote:I am really getting disappointed now. Rick has put this up as a serious Arc, he's made it look like the end times... And yet, I feel nothing. No Laughter, No anticipation. It feels boring.

I feel like you're being shortsighted here. With a lot of comics, especially ones that update more than once a week, character development is a gradual process and easily go unnoticed when you're reading as it updates. Also, you don't mention Breel, Tarot, or Keene in your comment, and I think all three have seen a lot of development and attention devoted to them in this arc. Peanut himself also grew as a character when he noticed some of the issues in his relationship with Tarot. Just because characters aren't evolving in the way you want them to doesn't mean that it isn't happening at all.

Secondly, it's a slice of life comic first-and-foremost. While we've seen that Rick isn't afraid to dive into larger-than-life subjects and story arcs, the gag-a-day has remained constant. It keeps what would be a super-dark moment into something charming and cute. It's always been the tone of the comic and I don't understand why you'd be surprised by it now.
Signed,
the very worst ferret butler in the world.
John-056

Post by John-056 »

BasedDook wrote:

I feel like you're being shortsighted here. With a lot of comics, especially ones that update more than once a week, character development is a gradual process and easily go unnoticed when you're reading as it updates. Also, you don't mention Breel, Tarot, or Keene in your comment, and I think all three have seen a lot of development and attention devoted to them in this arc. Peanut himself also grew as a character when he noticed some of the issues in his relationship with Tarot. Just because characters aren't evolving in the way you want them to doesn't mean that it isn't happening at all.

Secondly, it's a slice of life comic first-and-foremost. While we've seen that Rick isn't afraid to dive into larger-than-life subjects and story arcs, the gag-a-day has remained constant. It keeps what would be a super-dark moment into something charming and cute. It's always been the tone of the comic and I don't understand why you'd be surprised by it now.
Firstly, I didn't mention Tarot, Keene or Breel, because all three have had them recently... Not to mention that Breel is VERY recent, while Tarot hasn't been getting any better post-Celestial games, and Keene... Well, his was because while his talk with his old man and his wandering of Heaven was a good arc, he sorta... Reverted a bit upon coming back.

And frankly, Peanut seemed to be getting stupider during most of the arcs involving him... That, or everyone else keeps having so many arcs that whenever the pointer appears, it feels like he's thicker than a brick. Whichever one it is, whatever development he's had, it's Not as obvious as Grape, who's embraced more of her femminity, or Maxwell, who's trying to be less of a badboy, even though he's struggling with certain vices. I mean, this at least can be a good start for Peanut, maybe have him ask questions that Tarot tries to avoid or start questioning himself being with Tarot. I mean, the last time I saw Peanut being mature, was N-ple date where he was willing to let Grape go, and the Holo-deck Imaginate, where he admitted his insecurities... But other than that, he seemed to regress after those. Either he's good with putting on smiles, or Tarot's presence is affecting him a bit. I've had that bee in my bonnet ever since the Christmas Special, where, even though Peanut has some skill as an artist, could only give Tarot Old objects rather than make something for her. Unless that was him showing signs of getting mad at her, it feels like Rick forgot about Peanut's developments. I mean, he could have given her Five handmade things and thrown a homemade beanbag chair at her as one of his gifts, it Would have had similar results, AND matched the Lyrics fairly Well.

And Lester... Well, he's appeared so few times that he seems to be 'Jerk Nerd', and I am hoping that this part would give the Jerk Tail a lesson in Humility. I mean, Dallas would be in it if Karishad hadn't booted him out, But I guess it falls to Lester right now.

And on the second, it would have been interesting for one. I mean, they're facing an Elderich abomination that wants to bring ruin to the world, and are likely to enter Hell itself to take it down! It feels weird to bounce to humor so soon!

That, and I am disappointed that Rick didn't do an awesome panel of the teams charging the Forgotten at once BEFORE switching to the end panel, rather than just jumping to it. Would have shown what their strategy was before they got flattened, and Would have actually made it comical. Basically, Dramatic charge towards the enemy, anticlimatic flattening afterwards.
Douglas Collier

I think the speech was supposed to be the dramatic thing before the anticlimactic flattening. Wasn’t quite dramatic enough to give the humor the punch it needed, but I guess it was ok for getting across the main message of the strip - that they are not even close to prepared to fight that thing on their own.
Last edited by Douglas Collier on Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

Douglas Collier wrote:I think the speech was supposed to be the dramatic thing before the anticlimactic flattening. Wasn’t quite dramatic enough to give the Huron the punch it needed, but I guess it was ok for getting across the main message of the strip - that they are not even close to prepared to fight that thing on their own.
I think you're right. In the past, they pets had some problems to overcome the demigods, when the demigods used the pets as their cosmic playthings.
I honestly have the feeling, Kitsune is taking his time to stop the forgotton, just as a lesson for the mortals to stop toying with like the mana pool. Sure I hope he does a bit more than just making everything better all of a sudden, but I think he (along with cerberus) will find a way to stop this thing.

I also want to say, I really found this comic strip funny :lol:
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

On a side note, I'm beginning to wonder if Peanut literally doesn't realize that things have gone very very wrong, and that this isn't even remotely a game anymore. When Peanut took puppy-sitting more seriously (and it traumatized him more) than this, I think the only reasonable explanation for his innocent optimism right now is that he's just terminally unaware of the real danger, same as he was when Mungo flew him out of the spike trap.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Of course Peanut is more stressed out by puppy-sitting. It's slice-of-life-slash-romantic-comedy about animals, not this fantasy multiverse nonsense.

Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
John-056

Post by John-056 »

Argent wrote:Of course Peanut is more stressed out by puppy-sitting. It's slice-of-life-slash-romantic-comedy about animals, not this fantasy multiverse nonsense.

Well, then WHY implement all this "Fantasy Multiverse Nonsense" when it's never taken Seriously!?

Before you ask, that was me channeling Yahtzee. I felt it was fitting.