2018/03/07 - Of The Essence

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2018/03/07 - Of The Essence

Post by D-Rock »

[2018/03/07 - Of The Essence]
Title Text: Is this the correct wrist? I've never worn a watch

The immediate face of Oblivion is quite the motivator, isn't it?
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Saturn381

Re: 2018/03/07 - Of The Essence

Post by Saturn381 »

You go Res.

Also, something tells me Kitsune knew this would happen all along.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

I'm curious exactly what he can do here.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Before I even saw the alt text, I somehow knew it would be about not having a watch. :D
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

He’s letting him know the risks
and he’s not wearing a watch;
sometimes talking to Kitsune
is a real boot to the crotch.
Sending the Tiger in to fight
or watching him quickly leave;
whichever way he’ll go
breathe, dear Res, just breathe.
Influencing within the rules
and bending them all the time;
Kitsune makes you believe
he knew things would be fine.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

Gotta give it to Kitsune, his methods have proven to be effective
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Gbr23 wrote:Gotta give it to Kitsune, his methods have proven to be effective
Kitsune. Helping bring about the storys' Resolution.
Last edited by Welsh Halfwit on Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

It's probably a good thing Kitsune didn't give Res time to think about it, because I'm sure his next question would've been something along the lines of "How many of those dozen things involve me dying horribly?"
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

A chance of death, or certain death. Guess ya can't argue with logic like that!

And I'd question if Kitsune just said that to get him to do what he wanted but, again, probably shouldn't risk not listening to an omnipotent being in the face of a soul harvesting omnipotent being :lol:

...also are these an earth 5 seconds or a celestial 5 seconds? If the latter this could go on for another like, 20 episodes comics. :P
ImageImageImageImage
Rikunda

Post by Rikunda »

I know Kitsune has always been about manipulating others to control chaos into a way he determines to be best. I am starting to think this is all to get one thing done... Our local Weretiger is his new pawn piece he wants to upgrade. I just... got a feeling.

Out of all the characters he seems to be the one I get the most... twist factor from.

Keene and Breel are a side distraction to the real event going on! Those two loving boys being used as a facade is sad though...
Quote:
Mother Teresa wrote:Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Res gets an adventure of his own, though how much of this could he use in the last Pridelands book? the genres are fairly incompatible.
The cape comes with the promotion.
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

Ah, this is just fuel for his followup series.

Someone who's good at naming things can make up a title

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
Keldor

Post by Keldor »

There goes Kitsune, obliquely nudging the PCs to do actions that won't get them all killed / advance an interesting storyline. He's a GM incarnate!

What a lot of playerss don't realize is that the GM also serves as a sort of "guardian angel". After all, what happens after the party dies? Why, the game ends. The GM never gets to tell the end of the story, all those loose ends are left untied, the players loose everything they invested in their characters, in short, everyone looses. So it's up to the GM to bend the rules a bit and/or improvise to make sure the game does not end in an unsatisfactory way, should it become necessary.
Argent

Post by Argent »

NO PRESSURE THOUGH, NO PRESSURE AMIRITE?

Some DMs are killer DMs. I got to play with David Hargrave once, we lasted less than half an hour.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Res to the rescue? Or are Breel and Keene about to have company.......?
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

And then Res uses all of the mana.

Really, they already lost against the forgotten, it's the only thing he can do at this point ~ make the mana go away faster.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Frank

Post by Frank »

GameCobra wrote:And then Res uses all of the mana.

Really, they already lost against the forgotten, it's the only thing he can do at this point ~ make the mana go away faster.
Actually, now that I think of it.. could the mana turn back time to right before Keene yells at Breel? (Yes yes I know no weird time junk, but as Kitsune points out, just because you shouldn't, doesn't mean you can't.... or is it the other way around?)
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
MX682XM

Post by MX682XM »

Frank wrote:
GameCobra wrote:And then Res uses all of the mana.

Actually, now that I think of it.. could the mana turn back time to right before Keene yells at Breel? (Yes yes I know no weird time junk, but as Kitsune points out, just because you shouldn't, doesn't mean you can't.... or is it the other way around?)
The 'no weird time junk' was just a rule for U&U http://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/201 ... thing-but/
ImageImage
Argent

Post by Argent »

And then he overshoots and everyone finds themselves in Tarot's Pridelands Holodeck.

And Res gets yelled at because tigers are Indian not African.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
MrBlueSky7

Post by MrBlueSky7 »

Maybe it's because of the last time we saw him almost like this, but I can't get over how funny looking GK is without Pants.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

MrBlueSky7 wrote:Maybe it's because of the last time we saw him almost like this, but I can't get over how funny looking GK is without Pants.
I think he's still in 'kid kitsune' mode. With tails.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
OrWasIt.EXE

Post by OrWasIt.EXE »

On the title text... Is there even an 'incorrect' wrist to wearing a watch? Never known there to be myself.
What do you get when you cram a shapeshifter, a dog-dragon, two wolves, a human, a robot, a bear, and a fox into one vessel? (They/Them pronouns)
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

OrWasIt.EXE wrote:On the title text... Is there even an 'incorrect' wrist to wearing a watch? Never known there to be myself.
The incorrect wrist is the one Kitsune's wearing it on. As in the non existent one.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

Also, typically you wear a watch on the wrist of your off hand, although that's not a hard and fast rule.

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

But, Res is right, isn't him? :P Or maybe, there's something that neither he nor us know? ;) Five seconds are too few, looking forward to what's going to happen... I wouldn't never trust you, Kitsune, anyway. And, you haven't a wristwatch. :P
tsMKG

Post by tsMKG »

Okay, let's break the fourth wall and think about how does time work in comics. Comics are still images, captured in an instant. In these images, time has stopped but each panel has a different time. Rick takes 7/3 aprox. days to release a new strip. Rick can continue the time of the comic at his desire.

Considering that, how much is five seconds inside a still image where time has stopped and the characters are repeated through the other panel? :? :?: :?: :?:

Also consider you can look at the same strip for hours or for just a few seconds. This is why we can't apply the "X episodes" thing, because the episodes at least have a determined duration (since it's a motion picture with a determined time and rate), but in the comic there is not anything telling us how much is taking unless otherwise.
Have you been looking at the thing above this? Dis is my old signature and is not relevant anymore.
jonas

Post by jonas »

GK's watch is one of those oozing Salvador Dali clocks, so it unfortunately flopped off his wrist just before Rick yelled "Action!" and the strip started, but they had to use the take anyway since GK trips on his tails so often.
Champion Wallace

tsMKG wrote:Okay, let's break the fourth wall and think about how does time work in comics. Comics are still images, captured in an instant. In these images, time has stopped but each panel has a different time. Rick takes 7/3 aprox. days to release a new strip. Rick can continue the time of the comic at his desire.

Considering that, how much is five seconds inside a still image where time has stopped and the characters are repeated through the other panel? :? :?: :?: :?:

Also consider you can look at the same strip for hours or for just a few seconds. This is why we can't apply the "X episodes" thing, because the episodes at least have a determined duration (since it's a motion picture with a determined time and rate), but in the comic there is not anything telling us how much is taking unless otherwise.
Comics represent the passage of time with frames in different locations geographically instead of temporally. while there is no set conversion factor, there are established conventions. The time spent between panels is about the time it take to do everything in that panel, so we can establish a lower limit for how long it takes to say all the dialogue. By the end of the next comic, five seconds will have passed in universe unless it is a very short comic. My assumption is that whatever important event is going to happen next comic and five seconds isn't supposed to be taken literally like "gimme a minute".
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

tsMKG wrote:Okay, let's break the fourth wall and think about how does time work in comics. Comics are still images, captured in an instant. In these images, time has stopped but each panel has a different time. Rick takes 7/3 aprox. days to release a new strip. Rick can continue the time of the comic at his desire.

(Psst, it was a Dragon Ball Z reference, I didn't seriously mean that :roll: )

Also, I've always counted in-comic time as if it were to be read out as a scene. If this paricular strip was in real time, the conversation between Res and Kitsune would have taken 18-20 seconds before kitsune said 5 seconds. The last panel could be anywhere from 1 second or less.
Also also, for the record, it's established that time flows however it wants once something not important is happening with a character, like in-between 2 arcs. Going from one "scene" to another could be any span of time. In other words: Time is pointless unless we see the characters doing things.
ImageImageImageImage
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

I kinda figured Kitsune looking at his wrist to check the time on a watch that's not there constitutes a demonstration of the Celestial sense of humor. Sorta like Eodoant emphasizing how all those in Pandemonium work and sliding by Keene's question about torture displays the Infernal sense of humor. Keene's employment certainly might be mistaken for torture by the casual observer, and Eudoant never smiles.
Last edited by NHWestoN on Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zesortinge

Post by Zesortinge »

I know Res is male, but what comic first revealed his gender?
I have ideas and I occasionally put them down.
Champion Wallace

Zesortinge wrote:I know Res is male, but what comic first revealed his gender?
At the end of his introductory arc, Grape uses male pronouns to refer to him.Image
Keeshah
Game Master

Post by Keeshah »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:
Gbr23 wrote:Gotta give it to Kitsune, his methods have proven to be effective
Kitsune. Helping bring about the storys' Resolution.

Res is now filled with Determination!! :mrgreen:
Rav/Ravage (RV) - M - German King Shepard: Str-7 Per-6 End-7 Cha-5 Int-5 Agi-6 Luck-6
Foxy Brown (Zootopia) - M - Coyote/RedWolf: Str-6 Per-7 End-6 Cha-4 Int-8 Agi-7 Luck-4
Oreo (RA) - M - Spotted Skunk: Str-5 Per-6 End-6 Cha-5 Int-7 Agi-8 Luck-5
Adoring Fan

Post by Adoring Fan »

Just because Kitsune is a troll i have a feeling that the "one thing" would have been good and the many things are going to be a mixed bag. After all he never said that the one thing was bad and in his own words making an easy decision hard is "kind of his thing".
Image Image
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Zesortinge wrote:I know Res is male, but what comic first revealed his gender?
I was scared to make the joke but I'm glad at least someone was committed to the bit :lol:
ImageImageImageImage
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

....but don't forget, Dallas is back on the scene and Rufus has yet to make his play !
Champion Wallace

The link on the current comic takes me to the discussion page for the previous comic instead of taking me here.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Kinda random, but Great Kitsune looks kinda adorable in that shirt. It's just so... mundane.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!