2018/04/16 - We’re Gonna Vent Our Frustration

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2018/04/16 - We’re Gonna Vent Our Frustration

Post by D-Rock »

[2018/04/16 - We’re Gonna Vent Our Frustration]
Title Text: I know the distance won't actually help but it'll help me feel like I have some modicum of control over my life.

Wonder if he's a forum member? :lol:
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Gbr23

Re: 2018/04/16 - We’re Gonna Vent Our Frustration

Post by Gbr23 »

I wonder if Kitsune was ever worried by the events... of course he wasn´t
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Well to be fair Tarot, some situations aren't always easy.

Also, I was wondering if King was going to appear in this arc.
TheSilverFox51

Post by TheSilverFox51 »

Okay, so for the first time in reading all of the comic (multiple times) I am slightly confused. Is Tarot angry because she didn't get to be the one who fixed it all? I am slightly confused
Allons-y
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

Relax, Tarot. Now you can order people around at your leisure - without worrying about the fate of the world. :roll:
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

Ah King, we are the same person. "I'll be over there, if you need anything, don't" :lol:

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

Aaaaand we're right back to the egotistical Tarot we've all grown to have a love/hate relationship with. :lol: Some things never change.

Though I was kinda hoping she'd have gained some humility from the experience...
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Hey, Great Kitsune is naked.
...wait.
TheSilverFox51 wrote:Okay, so for the first time in reading all of the comic (multiple times) I am slightly confused. Is Tarot angry because she didn't get to be the one who fixed it all? I am slightly confused
Tarot had planed out how she would drain the mana, but GK convinced Res to jump in the mana so Tarot was beamed out instead of him. A side effect of this venture was supposed to be people would take her more seriously when dealing with the supernatural, but Res took the spotlight and unintentionally discredited her about the mana by using it successfully.
The cape comes with the promotion.
mr_abomination

Post by mr_abomination »

Is it just me, or does the golden statue base look really out of place? It looks almost photorealistic which looks odd with the rest of Rick's style.

Compare and contrast to its first appearance.
TheSilverFox51

Post by TheSilverFox51 »

Champion Wallace wrote:Hey, Great Kitsune is naked.
...wait.
TheSilverFox51 wrote:Okay, so for the first time in reading all of the comic (multiple times) I am slightly confused. Is Tarot angry because she didn't get to be the one who fixed it all? I am slightly confused
Tarot had planed out how she would drain the mana, but GK convinced Res to jump in the mana so Tarot was beamed out instead of him. A side effect of this venture was supposed to be people would take her more seriously when dealing with the supernatural, but Res took the spotlight and unintentionally discredited her about the mana by using it successfully.
Thank you for answering my stupid question, I thought she was being a diva or the like.
Last edited by TheSilverFox51 on Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Allons-y
Arel_Grim

Post by Arel_Grim »

I like how king in the end of his sentence he says "Don't" like he doesn't want to deal with any supernatural thing that has to do with Kitsune :lol:
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

In the second panel is Great Kitsune licking is paw or sticking his tongue out at Tarot?
mr_abomination wrote:Is it just me, or does the golden statue base look really out of place? It looks almost photorealistic which looks odd with the rest of Rick's style.

Compare and contrast to its first appearance.
I agree that it looks different, though I wouldn't go as far as saying photorealistic. The difference in Lum values to Represent how light reflects off metal is greater then the earlier appearance. It especially looks weird because normally when something is one color (like fur) Rick doesn't do the same thing to show inherent uneven lighting, like how GK is the same cream color everywhere with no shadows or anything. Also it's closer up so there is more room for detail. Looking between the two strips, it seem statue Kitsune evokes a common response.
The cape comes with the promotion.
Ryusuta

Post by Ryusuta »

Ohhh... Ever since the "avatar" battle, this has been the strip I've been waiting for. I honestly can't express enough how satisfying it is to see Tarot with egg on her face, dood. XD
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Champion Wallace wrote:In the second panel is Great Kitsune licking is paw or sticking his tongue out at Tarot?
He's doing a 'Cat whose got the cream' look - or as close as a GodFox can get to that.

It was nice of him
to let King know
she was coming over.
For he’s not dim
and wanted to show
he can calm wild Rover.
Playing her ego,
and not letting her win,
he’s led her a dance.
But, even though
our Res brought it all in
he took quite a chance.
She’s mad as h...
bending his ear,
letting him have it now.
She knows him well,
wishes him disappear
Or just go away anyhow.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Champion Wallace wrote:In the second panel is Great Kitsune licking is paw or sticking his tongue out at Tarot?
Yes :P
ImageImageImageImage
anhedral

Post by anhedral »

King's not moving on any time soon, is he? I suppose it's understandable.

Oh, and GK is utterly adorable in panels 2 and 3.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Of course, it's now confirmed that Kitsune's a metaphor for Mr Griffin himself. He built up Tarot's part over the years and kept building it so OF COURSE she'd be the one to deal with all this Mana, wouldn't she?

And then he swept the rug from under her paws and our feet by largely rendering her superfluous to the event itself...
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

poor tarot, can't get no satisfaction.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

D-Rock wrote:Wonder if he's a forum member? :lol:
well yeah, GreatKitsune has had an account since Mar 23, 2015, Remember? He's made over a thousand posts. You're a mod you're supposed to remember these things.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Champion Wallace wrote:Hey, Great Kitsune is naked.
...wait.
Thank you I was also slightly confused on what exactly he did. Man Tarot really just comes off badly in this arc, and I have to wonder was that the plan or did Rick just kind of roll with how a lot of the forum felt about the whole thing?
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

IceKitsune wrote:Thank you I was also slightly confused on what exactly he did. Man Tarot really just comes off badly in this arc, and I have to wonder was that the plan or did Rick just kind of roll with how a lot of the forum felt about the whole thing?
I'd say maybe. As I stated earlier, Kitsune's a metaphor for the big man himself. And, come to think of it, having a writer who's concerned about running out of ideas come in and save the day whilst getting new ideas is also pretty suspicious. :D

And welcome.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

IceKitsune wrote:Man Tarot really just comes off badly in this arc, and I have to wonder was that the plan or did Rick just kind of roll with how a lot of the forum felt about the whole thing?
While I wouldn't be surprised if it was a little bit of both, I bet it was mostly the former. Having Tarot have her long-needed slice of humble-pie served up by being simply upstaged at the moment of truth rather than being beaten or out-argued or whatever was nothing short of ingenious. That had to have been planned.
vulpinator

Post by vulpinator »

I can tell there are people hoping that Tarot roundhouses Great Kitsune’s snout, but I can’t help but love this pose he’s in!
Argent

Post by Argent »

Looks like he's nonchalantly grooming his arm.

Special celestially toughened microphone there I hope, 'cos it sure gets dropped a lot.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Soerix

Post by Soerix »

"Don't" what? Make him help her against Kitsune because he doesn't want to deal with him anymore?

OK Kitsune. Now, you're not funny nor adorably trollish.
You're just annoying as heck.
... Though I guess that may kinda be what Kitsune has always been about. :P At least partly.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Soerix wrote:"Don't" what?
Don't ask?

And Kitsune is too adorable.
celtcath74

Post by celtcath74 »

And this is what the Great Kitsune is awesome.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I feel sorry for Tarot, but GK dropping the salt on her put a smile on my face :3

chin up, pom. You still got Peanut :3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
anhedral

Post by anhedral »

Soerix wrote:"Don't" what?
I suspect it's King's way of saying, bluntly, "Please don't need anything; in the unhappy event that you do, just make sure you don't ask me."

I get the distinct impression that the only time Tarot visits King's place these days is when she wants to speak to GK. The look on King's face says it all, and he knew exactly what she wanted without even waiting for her to speak.

On top of that, it's hilarious that King keeps the statue in a closet now. No guesses why he's doing that: http://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/201 ... eeing-eye/
Argent wrote:Kitsune is too adorable.
Even by the standards of Housepets! overall, GK has a really wide range of postures and facial expressions. That paw-lick, for example, is just the best; I don't remember any other characters ever doing this, and from that single gesture we understand his mood perfectly. I can't help but think of the 'show, don't tell' maxim often handed down to writers; HP! surely provides the comic strip version of the same, in that a lot of the time the reader gets the gist from the art alone, the dialogue barely needed. Wonderful!

(Of course, everyone's gonna point me towards other paw-licks in HP! now, aren't they? :roll: )
Last edited by anhedral on Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrBlueSky7

Post by MrBlueSky7 »

Oh King. Still doing everything he can to stay out of Cosmic Business, I see...
Argent

Post by Argent »

anhedral wrote:That paw-lick, for example, is just the best; I don't remember any other characters ever doing this,
I seem to recall Grape gets photographed licking her paw by Peanut in the eyelash gag strip (one of the early one-shots).
anhedral

Post by anhedral »

Argent wrote:
anhedral wrote:That paw-lick, for example, is just the best; I don't remember any other characters ever doing this,
I seem to recall Grape gets photographed licking her paw by Peanut in the eyelash gag strip (one of the early one-shots).
I knew it!
http://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/200 ... -fabulous/
Oh, and thank you :)
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Having Kitsune in your closet can't be easy for King after all the turmoil the Celestial put him through. Bailey, on the other hand, seems quite at peace with his presence...she even suggested he could puppy sit for them when she and King were having their night off. Went over badly, remember?

Still...there's an arc there..."uncle" Kitsune and the puppies go adventuring.

Kitsune is a cosmic prankster, but all ways seems to adhere to the "Rule of Intrinsic Benevolence" (nobody gets hurt...permanently). How much he's in charge is uncertain - as he told Res, he has limits on his powers and perceptions. He's not Bahamut. In compensation for those limits, he's endowed with a delectable androgynous cuteness and a genius for the tease.

As to Tarot, well, I think he rather enjoys her pretensions. Although he loves to annoy her, Kitsune was gently reassuring towards her as the crisis with Ol'Forgott came to its climax. But this story was about so many others, not just Tarot, and she still got to show her powers and her courage. Maybe the lesson for her is to be content with sharing a "best supporting actress" award with Dallas, Maxwell, Peanut, Grape, Breel, Eudoant and the others.

Always figured you'd come round with the moral or the story, GK.
Last edited by NHWestoN on Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:
IceKitsune wrote:Thank you I was also slightly confused on what exactly he did. Man Tarot really just comes off badly in this arc, and I have to wonder was that the plan or did Rick just kind of roll with how a lot of the forum felt about the whole thing?
I'd say maybe. As I stated earlier, Kitsune's a metaphor for the big man himself. And, come to think of it, having a writer who's concerned about running out of ideas come in and save the day whilst getting new ideas is also pretty suspicious. :D

And welcome.
Self'inserts are fun, but I also feel Rick was pulling his hair out about people that were grumpy with Tarot's attitude when i see her as just not use to being without her powers.

Case in point, GK is summing up what i'm thinking about Tarot without her powers - she can't stand losing. x3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

GameCobra wrote:Case in point, GK is summing up what i'm thinking about Tarot without her powers - she can't stand losing. x3
That's a whole different song. :)
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
MrBlueSky7

Post by MrBlueSky7 »

Hey, why wasn't Sabrina with her on this? Surely SHE must be upset about this expedition too!!!
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Sabby - who I think is older and calmer than Tarot - doesn't go after the celestials, she waits for them to come to her.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

True about Sabrina. She's a pretty gentle and humble soul. She was firm but polite in her debate with Keene over the Temple Crashing, and remarkably kind with Fox as he struggled to apologize for his attitude towards her affair with his former friend, Fido. Meanest she's ever acted that I can recall was when she threatened Grape with severe bodily harm for pressing her too close about her age. Sabrina always refers to Celestials - even Pete and Dragon - respectfully as "being of Heaven" even though they may drive her bonkers with their character flaws (ex. Dragon's whining).

Sabrina treats Tarot respectfully as well, despite her seniority in age, and they seem to be colleagues. I've only seen Tarot pull rank on Saggy once or twice. Still, I would have thought in the mana showdown, Tarot might have let her stay around as "supporting artillery". I'd have liked to see her get a little stage time in this arc, too, just as Rufus, the "geeks" (especially Dallas), and Mungo received. There's a backstory with her and Maxwell, too....

......and now I'm waaaaaaay off topic. Regards.
Iceheart

Post by Iceheart »

Kitsune is the chaos god we all need in our lives
Ryusuta

Post by Ryusuta »

leinglo wrote:
IceKitsune wrote:Man Tarot really just comes off badly in this arc, and I have to wonder was that the plan or did Rick just kind of roll with how a lot of the forum felt about the whole thing?
While I wouldn't be surprised if it was a little bit of both, I bet it was mostly the former. Having Tarot have her long-needed slice of humble-pie served up by being simply upstaged at the moment of truth rather than being beaten or out-argued or whatever was nothing short of ingenious. That had to have been planned.
VERY well said. Whether planned or not, it seriously was incredibly satisfying.