2018/04/23 - A Ferret Of The People

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Re: 2018/04/23 - A Ferret Of The People

Post by rickgriffin »

leinglo wrote:
Welsh Halfwit wrote: It's a lifetime of reading reviews, good sir. People giving their opinion of how a story they read or a show/film they watched resolves. But whereas a professional reviewer waits until the story is fully over, the internet offers the chance for instant opinions and people feel free to give it. It's sometimes forgotten that that lays them (and sometimes myself) open to looking foolish when the twist comes or actually inspiring the twist that makes the critquer look foolish.
Well said. I like to think I'm normally savvy to that kind of thing myself but I walked right into it this time. Though to be fair, I think some things, like having a page leave us with a character literally announcing he's retiring from his lifelong work, should be particularly expected to cause near-sighted knee-jerk reactions.
I may have overstated

I'm not mad people are interpreting what Keene says as meaning what it is

I am annoyed that some people in this thread are using that to make broad sweeping comments about me and my personal judgement before they know exactly how it shakes out, pretending they already know all the details like this is all I'm ever saying on the matter

Of course my judgement has been constantly questioned and prematurely condemned this entire dang arc so I guess I'm just late to the party
I'm sure the cold hand of science will be able to overcome his magical powers
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Maybe Fox and Mungo will drag Keene off the stage, Duchess will proclaim a coup, and ......... Naw....

You're very right, TheOne. Enjoyment is what the comic's for, first and foremost. Trying to second-guess a storyline is kinda interesting, but I don't want to run my fingernails too fast across the storyteller's blackboard.
Heck, chums, it's only Monday....

....and where in Pawtucket is Duchess, anyway?

Regards.
Last edited by NHWestoN on Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dusk

Post by dusk »

Yeah, it can be like that. I find this all quite interesting, but I, personally, like to wait for a completed arc, before making any sort of judgement on it. It feels like a better reflection of the story's progression that way.
As I gaze upon the stars, I realize how much I will miss this world.

20-23-5-14-20-25 25-5-1-18-19 8-5 4-9-4 14-15-20 18-5-20-21-18-14,

20-8-5 19-9-24 6-9-14-7-5-18-5-4 13-9-19-6-9-20 23-9-20-8 12-15-20-19 15-6 6-21-18.

*Russian Intensifies*
TheSilverFox51

Post by TheSilverFox51 »

rickgriffin wrote:
leinglo wrote:
Welsh Halfwit wrote: It's a lifetime of reading reviews, good sir. People giving their opinion of how a story they read or a show/film they watched resolves. But whereas a professional reviewer waits until the story is fully over, the internet offers the chance for instant opinions and people feel free to give it. It's sometimes forgotten that that lays them (and sometimes myself) open to looking foolish when the twist comes or actually inspiring the twist that makes the critquer look foolish.
Well said. I like to think I'm normally savvy to that kind of thing myself but I walked right into it this time. Though to be fair, I think some things, like having a page leave us with a character literally announcing he's retiring from his lifelong work, should be particularly expected to cause near-sighted knee-jerk reactions.
I may have overstated

I am annoyed that some people in this thread are using that to make broad sweeping comments about me and my personal judgement before they know exactly how it shakes out, pretending they already know all the details like this is all I'm ever saying on the matter

Of course my judgement has been constantly questioned and prematurely condemned this entire dang arc so I guess I'm just late to the party
I think one reason that everyone's tail feathers get in a bunch is that they focus on the length of the arc and not on the actual content. A lot of people seem to forget that you aren't necessarily writing this comic for the sake of drawing cute little fuzzy animals, but that you are trying to tell a story. Most people aren't focusing on what is happening and are more concerned with how it is being done. Some look past everything good that is coming from the arc, such as character development, imagine how boring it would be if the characters never changed and never grew? It would be very repetitive, are Peanut and Grape the same characters as they were 9+ years ago? Not really, they've grown and changed and that is what makes them so interesting. Good things come from these long arcs, and a lot more planning and time has to go into them than a short 5 page arc. Anyway, that's just my 2 cents.
Allons-y
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

rickgriffin wrote: I may have overstated

Well, to be honest, Rick my speculation on why you might be dropping this plotline; again I was assuming there was no twist at the end which I highly suspected even then there is; is based on how this whole arc has felt so far as I said and the fact that you have dropped things before that you feel don't fit the comic. However, perhaps it was out of line of me to do so and I honestly didn't mean anything bad by it.

While I do criticize this arc I honestly don't hate the majority of it. Most of my dislike of this arc is based on the fact that it's overly long, which even you admitted to on Twitter, and that a lot of the characters in it feel pointless or redundant. Like outside of the epilogue part Tarot was essentially doing exactly what Breel was doing, trying to get Keene to not use the Mana, and with Breel there she becomes kind of redundant. She didn't do anything really important until after Breel was upset and the mana was pointless to Keene. Oh and then Res made her draining the mana pointless anyway. Res's plot feels like it could have easily been its own separate arc unconnected to Temple Crashers 2 and what he did, in the end, could have been handled by several other characters that were already in the other teams. Everything else in the arc though I honestly enjoyed.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Next strip, the Rocky theme comes on behind Keene. He's rejuvenated. Cut to King hiding behind the curtain with a boombox.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

Gonna Fly Now or Eye of the Tiger? This is important. :D

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Gonna Fly Now, of course! There can be only one!
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

rickgriffin wrote:. . . what the crap is anyone even talking about in this thread?
rickgriffin wrote:No my question is why does everyone always read a serialized comic like the most recent comic should be read as the conclusion, it must be terribly confusing to think the comic or plot or character arc is ending constantly

How about you treat the punchline as a punchline and wait for Keene to actually conclude his speech or something, like a normal reading person will
rickgriffin wrote:
leinglo wrote:
I may have overstated

I mean personally I just like speculating cause... well what else am I gonna do here? Like yeah I can literally wait to say anything until the speech is over but when the speech might last a week, I might wanna give my input as to how this is going and try to guess what'll happen next or figure out what's going on. Yeah it's jumpin' to conclusions but as long as it's all in good fun and not taken as fact there's no harm in it eh? :D It's like what people do with cartoons or shows that update weekly, but instead of an episode it's part of a scene and people are left to speculate in that time. It's just kind of a thing to do, makes for a lively community in my opinion!
ImageImageImageImage
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Yeah, so can we speculate as to what Keene is going to do after retirement, or what ideas he might have in mind? Things that are actually fun to speculate about as opposed to how this seems like a bad ending to Keene's arc?
It's fine if people want to be realists about things, but part of being a realist (to my mind) is acknowledging that Rick has a great track record of delivering unexpected and interesting continuations on a theme. Which is why I would expect this strip to generate discussion like, "Huh, this is an unexpected statement for Keene to make. I wonder what Rick is planning with this. <insert speculation on the possible interesting directions this could take>" And some of that speculation exists in this thread, but it's a little buried in all the other cruft.
So by all means speculate away. But if your speculation already assumes that this is not going to end well, then kindly keep it to yourself unless and until your speculation comes to pass.

Edit: Or if you're really stumped as to how this could possibly go well, how about, "I can't see a positive continuation for this. Can someone help me to look at some ideas I might have missed?"
Which, by the by, would be these:
Champion Wallace wrote:Maybe he'll have more forward progress spending his "retirement" doing smaller things like when he gave the wolf pack the ability to live like humans then from large scale legal battles.
D-Rock wrote:How do you call yourself a man of the people if you don't even know the people? Fox seems happy with his lot in life, as do other pets, even, sadly, those in poor situations like Sasha. Sometimes, Keene, you have to start at the individual, not cast a wide net.
Welsh Halfwit wrote:
D-Rock wrote:How do you call yourself a man of the people if you don't even know the people? Fox seems happy with his lot in life, as do other pets, even, sadly, those in poor situations like Sasha. Sometimes, Keene, you have to start at the individual, not cast a wide net.
Well he wasn't happy, was he? We saw in the '4 pets' arc that, whatever he has in life, Keene wanted MORE. That drive almost cost him everything he'd actually gained (and it took a kiss from a Prince Charming to wake him up to that fact). Now he's realised and is pulling back.
Edit Edit: Even the discussion about why Keene might be giving up was a fine way to respond. It needs more love in this thread too.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

personally I believe he's saying "I'm gonna let my people do the legal battles while I snuggle my angel" camp.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

I concur with the speculation Keene's retiring personally from leading the struggle, but not necessarily discontinuing his financial and material support thereof.

On a side note, thanks for your patience, everyone; I know the arc is longer than some may have preferred, but it's not quite done and there's no need to worry about things being left unexplored. I'm sure everyone will find the resolution satisfactory.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Dissension wrote:I concur with the speculation Keene's retiring personally from leading the struggle, but not necessarily discontinuing his financial and material support thereof.

On a side note, thanks for your patience, everyone; I know the arc is longer than some may have preferred, but it's not quite done and there's no need to worry about things being left unexplored. I'm sure everyone will find the resolution satisfactory.
I get the feeling he's making a donation. Still wondering who the donation is going to. Would laugh if it's Maxwell on the grounds he won the contest. x3

On a funny note ~ we could always get shirts that say "I survived Temple Crashers" with the temple falling apart on the front of it :3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

"I survived Temple Crashers and all I got was this lousy T-shirt, for which I have no use." :P

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Maxwell's probably worn out his welcome at Milton Manor (except, maybe, with Jeeves), but I like the idea of him winning something that doesn't backfire on him.
TheOne
Location: Trapped in the center of the Galaxy. Need a starship to get out!

Post by TheOne »

NHWestoN wrote:Maxwell's probably worn out his welcome at Milton Manor (except, maybe, with Jeeves), but I like the idea of him winning something that doesn't backfire on him.
Congratulations, you have won a year's supply of catnip!
...(whispering)
(whispering back) What do you mean we can't do that?
...(whispering)
(whispering back) Okay, but only this one time.
Congratulations! You've won a year's supply of Myowser Myx!
Dag nabbed petty annoyances...
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Poor Maxwell... I'm starting to feel sorry for him...

Well, that feeling passed quickly.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Hey, Max has had a hard life! :( It's not his fault he's dating someone who was meant for someone else!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Yeah, it's not Maxwell's fault Grape was meant to be with Joey!

CosmicCoyote

Post by CosmicCoyote »

Dissension wrote:Yeah, it's not Maxwell's fault Grape was meant to be with Joey!
That's a weird way to spell 'Res'.
"...kindness is its own reward. Paid in ice cream."
RP chars:
Redwall: Rhys Greenbrier
17th CF: Alasdair 'Alec' Ogilvy
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Yeah, it's not Res's fault Grape was meant to be with Joey!

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

no i think he means res should date joey.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Well, I was waiting for the next person to post before suggesting that one, but I guess you've done it, so thanks for saving me the trouble. Time to commission lots of Roey art.

CosmicCoyote

Post by CosmicCoyote »

Why must you mock my Gres dreams. T_T
RP chars:
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Is that the ship name people went with? There's a different one that usually auto-populates in my mind.

CosmicCoyote

Post by CosmicCoyote »

I dunno! I just used the most obvious portmanteau I could think of.
RP chars:
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Dissension wrote:Yeah, it's not Res's fault Grape was meant to be with Joey!
Wrong, she was meant for Rex. :P
TheSilverFox51

Post by TheSilverFox51 »

And then, from the mountains of Grapenut shippers, appeared the illusive Gres shippers! (and all of the other shippers, but I'm too lazy to list them all)
Allons-y
CosmicCoyote

Post by CosmicCoyote »

Well, I mean

Res is the cutest character.

This is an undeniable fact.
RP chars:
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

CosmicCoyote wrote:Well, I mean

Res is the cutest character.

This is an undeniable fact.
I am denying your fact.
The cape comes with the promotion.
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

Puppy Peanut is cheating in the cuteness contest.

Argent

Post by Argent »

Um, what? Res isn't even particularly cute. Not compared to King, Zach, Truck, Squeak and Spo, Tarot, Custom Ink and Tiny Tum, Sasha, Fox, Rufus, Spring and Summer, ...
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Whoa... Didn't mean to ignite the "Shipping Wars" again, chums....
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Graxnut?

What? Who says stable relationships are limited to two?
Just need to deport Tarot to the moon...
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
TheOne
Location: Trapped in the center of the Galaxy. Need a starship to get out!

Post by TheOne »

Buster wrote:Graxnut?
Just need to deport Tarot to the moon...
And we just went MLP on this thread.
Dag nabbed petty annoyances...
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Jes' gettin' to Friday by now.....