2018/04/25 - The More Things Change

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
TheOne
Location: Trapped in the center of the Galaxy. Need a starship to get out!

Re: 2018/04/25 - The More Things Change

Post by TheOne »

leinglo wrote:Man, I just know that coin is going to come back to bite someone in the tail at some point. Mark my words we have not seen the last of it. It's too potentially dangerous to ignore.
Yes, but we probably won't see it for several years.
Dag nabbed petty annoyances...
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

TheOne wrote:
leinglo wrote:Man, I just know that coin is going to come back to bite someone in the tail at some point. Mark my words we have not seen the last of it. It's too potentially dangerous to ignore.
Or however long it takes Steward to realize that if Keene ever finds a powerful human ally, Steward has the power to neutralize them, or any human he decides he has a beef with now.
TheOne

Post by TheOne »

leinglo wrote:Or however long it takes Steward to realize that if Keene ever finds a powerful human ally, Steward has the power to neutralize them, or any human he decides he has a beef with now.
Good point, but I'd assume that Keene could either recover the coin, or use a countermeasure.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

leinglo wrote:
TheOne wrote:
Or however long it takes Steward to realize that if Keene ever finds a powerful human ally, Steward has the power to neutralize them, or any human he decides he has a beef with now.
Trouble is he can't get any direct gain from the coin, say, by extorting someone. If he walked up to someone as a badger and threatens that if they didn't do something for him he'll turn them into an animal, no-one will believe him. That just leaves relative gain, like revenge. The thing is, before his transformation at least, he didn't bear that much ill will towards Keene. Sure Keene's not the best boss to have, but Steward was only antagonizing him so he and Thomas could sneak the treasure out of the temple. He doesn't even consider himself evil. It would seem he's keeping the coin because of its value as gold, not because it's cursed.
Funny that the only people the coin's curse can effect by definition are the ones that don't have tails (yet).
The cape comes with the promotion.
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

TheOne wrote:Good point, but I'd assume that Keene could either recover the coin, or use a countermeasure.
Except, when Keene said that Steward "mysteriously disappeared", I don't think he was being disingenuous, he legitimately may not know what happened to him. He didn't stay in the room to see Thomas give Steward the coin or see Steward turn into a badger, so he may be unaware of either.
Champion Wallace wrote:Trouble is he can't get any direct gain from the coin, say, by extorting someone. If he walked up to someone as a badger and threatens that if they didn't do something for him he'll turn them into an animal, no-one will believe him. That just leaves relative gain, like revenge. The thing is, before his transformation at least, he didn't bear that much ill will towards Keene. Sure Keene's not the best boss to have, but Steward was only antagonizing him so he and Thomas could sneak the treasure out of the temple. He doesn't even consider himself evil. It would seem he's keeping the coin because of its value as gold, not because it's cursed.
Funny that the only people the coin's curse can effect by definition are the ones that don't have tails (yet).
Well there is one thing Steward could possibly do with the coin if he were to so inclined. If he kept the true nature of the coin to himself, Steward could potentially hijack the Opener faith by claiming he has the Gods-given power to turn humans into animals with just a touch. With the temple's destruction there will probably be some turmoil among believers.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

leinglo wrote: Well there is one thing Steward could possibly do with the coin if he were to so inclined. If he kept the true nature of the coin to himself, Steward could potentially hijack the Opener faith by claiming he has the Gods-given power to turn humans into animals with just a touch. With the temple's destruction there will probably be some turmoil among believers.
I like that idea. Pete's long gone, but the effects of his shenanigans are still lingering and one bitter mortal suffering from Pete's . . . eighth? cruelest bit of mischief uses said power in an unpredictable way that disrupts Pete's own religion and use it for his selfish ends. And because Pete's no longer around, he can't correct it, and Kitsune seems to mostly take the attitude of "Mmmmmeeeeeeh . . . as long as nobody's destroying the universe, let them sort it out themselves."
And technically, Steward wouldn't be lying. He does have a demi-god-given power, it's just that said demi-god did not INTENTIONALLY give it to him.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

leinglo wrote:Except, when Keene said that Steward "mysteriously disappeared", I don't think he was being disingenuous, he legitimately may not know what happened to him. He didn't stay in the room to see Thomas give Steward the coin or see Steward turn into a badger, so he may be unaware of either.
Though, I think when someone stresses the word "mysteriously" they are usually being disingenuous.
Of course in this case it's the financial issues that have "mysteriously disappeared", so it could be argued that Keene is not making a judgement on the disappearance of Steward being mysterious or otherwise.
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

Obbl wrote:
leinglo wrote:Except, when Keene said that Steward "mysteriously disappeared", I don't think he was being disingenuous, he legitimately may not know what happened to him. He didn't stay in the room to see Thomas give Steward the coin or see Steward turn into a badger, so he may be unaware of either.
Though, I think when someone stresses the word "mysteriously" they are usually being disingenuous.
Of course in this case it's the financial issues that have "mysteriously disappeared", so it could be argued that Keene is not making a judgement on the disappearance of Steward being mysterious or otherwise.
I think Keene figured Steward disappeared because he was running from the cops, as Keene encouraged him to do, not because he got turned into a badger.
Champion Wallace

leinglo wrote:
Obbl wrote:
I think Keene figured Steward disappeared because he was running from the cops, as Keene encouraged him to do, not because he got turned into a badger.
People have the right to to different opinions and that's ok. This is mine:
I game some of my reasons for why I think Keene know Steward is a badger some number of posts ago. In addition to that, I don't think Keene would call the cops just to threaten Steward to run away; if the cops reported they couldn't find Steward and Keene didn't know about the transformation, I bet Keene would be more worried about finding him then how calmly he delivers the news he's missing in todays strip. I agree with the theory that "mysteriously" is bolded because he is being disingenuous. Giving Steward the advanced warning was his way of having fun messing with him before he gets arrested. Even if this is not the case and Keene just wanted Steward out of his life one way or another, he would have security footage of badger Stew. Even if Keene was did not see the transformation in person, there are the cameras that "caught everything" illegal Steward did and even if there are none in that specific room, the tapes would show Steward never leaves, but a badger does.
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

Alright, that is a good point, particularly about the cameras. I'll concede on that.

I'm still convinced of the potential danger that coin represents, though, and if Keene allowed Steward get away with the it, I say that was a mistake. I guess we'll find out when we see Steward again, and if he's living at the treehouse I think it's safe to say that we will see him again.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

leinglo wrote:Alright, that is a good point, particularly about the cameras. I'll concede on that.

I'm still convinced of the potential danger that coin represents, though, and if Keene allowed Steward get away with the it, I say that was a mistake. I guess we'll find out when we see Steward again, and if he's living at the treehouse I think it's safe to say that we will see him again.
I'm more worried about when that coin will turn up. With Steward, Karishad and Cory living there...
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Frank

Post by Frank »

Argent wrote:
Bandit1990 wrote:
Argent wrote:Also, Rick, +1 for the call-out in the alt text.
Call out? I didn't get it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL6CDFn2i3I

Fifteen year old meme from before "dank" was a thing.
Man, I feel so incredibly happy my sound didn't work back then
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
Argent

Post by Argent »

Buster wrote:no i mean i thought use of that kind of logic got thrown out.
By who, the logic referee?
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Well, the dog tore it up pretty thorough..... !
TheOne

Post by TheOne »

leinglo wrote:Well there is one thing Steward could possibly do with the coin if he were to so inclined. If he kept the true nature of the coin to himself, Steward could potentially hijack the Opener faith by claiming he has the Gods-given power to turn humans into animals with just a touch. With the temple's destruction there will probably be some turmoil among believers.
That's a scary thought. The only question is, "How much contact is required for the coin's power to work?" I could see Badger Stew using that if he could tape the coin to his paw, and the only thing required for transformation is a quick brush against the hand.
But, I don't think that's the case. Steward didn't immediately transform upon first catching the coin; there was a small delay. I think the coin's power only activities upon intentional possession of the coin, even if the intention is only to examine the coin.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

There is another possibility for what Stew's up to. I'm looking at Jessica's expression and the way she's pointing her thumb and she's got this casual, "Here we go again," vibe to her. It's possible that Stew's heard about the Opener of Ways and is thinking Zach still has some power and might be able to do something. I mean, Zach was able to cast Light outside the temple.
This could be a set up for an arc centered on Zach. It could be - aha! - Zach's time to shine.
TheOne

Post by TheOne »

Nobody wrote:There is another possibility for what Stew's up to. I'm looking at Jessica's expression and the way she's pointing her thumb and she's got this casual, "Here we go again," vibe to her. It's possible that Stew's heard about the Opener of Ways and is thinking Zach still has some power and might be able to do something. I mean, Zach was able to cast Light outside the temple.
This could be a set up for an arc centered on Zach. It could be - aha! - Zach's time to shine.
I see what you did there. And I like it!
Argent

Post by Argent »

He could also grind up the coin to dust, and then mix it with paintball rounds and shoot people with markers.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Or he could start up a business. "Want someone 'dealt with? Will curse for cash'.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Argent

Post by Argent »

Gold-plated door handle at the local PETA.
Titanium Dragon

Post by Titanium Dragon »

It will be interesting to see what happens with Keene character-wise after this; he's been getting a lot of focus lately and is actually one of the better-developed characters at this point.

Lana has very little characterization thus far, so I'm curious how that will play out as well.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

...might see more collective "leadership" (read conflicting lunacies) emerge in Ferret Towers....
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

the first impression i got of Lana was of her being the most cunning of the ferrets. Which admittedly was a very low bar back then, and she's since been topped in that regard by a few of keene's... err... keener moments, though i would imagine part of that is just not seeing her do much lately.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Champion Wallace

Champion Wallace wrote:Have we ever seen the back of Keene's head like this before?
I was looking through old comics for fun and apparently we have (sort of).
Titanium Dragon wrote:Lana has very little characterization thus far, so I'm curious how that will play out as well.
I think she'll do fine being in charge since this isn't her first time dealing with the Equal Chance Program.