2018/05/11 - It’s Been Awhile

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
anhedral

Re: 2018/05/11 - It’s Been Awhile

Post by anhedral »

Argent wrote: Oh, and speaking of Rick's twitter... here's Breel in Transcontinental Railroad style: https://twitter.com/RicksWriting/status ... 2677497857
Pure awesome; I'm imagining Breel speaking in Dickensian English, with unending sentences comma-punctuated to the nth degree, forever after. Also, *pleads* most fervently to Rick for more HP! characters in 19th century garb...
Cody

Post by Cody »

Just had to create an account to express how pleased I am with the way this arc turned out. I'm so happy we got another, and this time a major, gay pairing in HP! :D

Really happy it turned out the way it did seeing as this current plot has been going on for about two years straight now if I recall? I'm glad Keene finally found happiness as I never really liked him as a character until this arc, so good on you, Rick for being able to make an unlikable character likeable (at least for me)!

I wonder how Breel will settle into being alive once again. There's SO much he's got to re-learn. Like breathing, eating, sleeping, drinking, "bathrooming" and much more. I hope none of that will be glossed over and that we will have one hilarious arc ahead of us with the two mustelids :lol:
I'm caught in a life and I can't get out
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Neither the Heaven is so perfect? Geez... :P So, that's it? Has been enough detach the halo to bring him back to life? :D It's awesome, and Cerberus was able do that, too. ;) Oh, he reacted pretty well. :) Eheheh, yeah, has been a long time since when you were alive, Breel. :P It's enough a brief revision of how the mammals body works, to know more. ;) Now, come on, give Keene your first hug with a living body! :D
The title text is pretty mean to Breel, eh. :P
Argent

Post by Argent »

Cody wrote:Just had to create an account to express how pleased I am with the way this arc turned out.
Welcome fellow mustelid! Nice avatar!
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
kavviyenta

Post by kavviyenta »

*Imagine Shenron in Cerberus's place...then imagine Spirit Dragon in Shenron's place*
http://valito.deviantart.com/ my deviant gallery, nope there's no housepets in it

Unless you like Lilo & Stitch, kinda wish to see the experiments in housepets style
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Rarely able to pass up an opportunity to display my ignorance in front of a large audience, I gotta ask ... who (or what) is/was "Shenron"?
Rainbow Rodent

Post by Rainbow Rodent »

Cody wrote:Just had to create an account to express how pleased I am with the way this arc turned out. I'm so happy we got another, and this time a major, gay pairing in HP! :D
I agree with everything you said and totally am in the same boat! I'm super happy right now!
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Arvetis wrote:I think we need a "Breel is a guy" sticky thread at the top of the forum.

"It's not really a new mode, it was always in the game. Players just had a hard time learning the mechanic."
NHWestoN wrote:Rarely able to pass up an opportunity to display my ignorance in front of a large audience, I gotta ask ... who (or what) is/was "Shenron"?
Well, when you gather the 7 Dragon Balls, a giant green dragon pops out and grants you a wish!
ImageImageImageImage
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

And then they’ll get married and have lots and lots of ... wait. Oh! Cuddle sessions! Of course marriage isn’t required for cuddling. :P I was kidding plz leave matrimony out of it they’re good as is. ^^;
Last edited by Douglas Collier on Fri May 11, 2018 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Thanks for the enlightenments, CHAOKO.
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

CHAOKOCartoons wrote:
Arvetis wrote:I think we need a "Breel is a guy" sticky thread at the top of the forum.

"It's not really a new mode, it was always in the game. Players just had a hard time learning the mechanic."
“Get over it”. Way to sell it, CHAOKO! :lol:
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Douglas Collier wrote:And then they’ll get married and have lots and lots of ... wait. Oh! Cuddle sessions! Of course marriage isn’t required for cuddling. :P I was kidding plz leave matrimony out of it they’re good as is. ^^;
Keene basically owns the animal marriage business in it's entirety in Babylon, pretty sure he could easily get married at any time :lol:

Though I'd agree in the sense that they are FAR from the marriage stage of a relationship, heck I'm surprised they're already at "I'd live and die again as opposed to waiting a few years for you" stage. I'd get it in maybe a year though :)
ImageImageImageImage
IronLucario2012

Post by IronLucario2012 »

CHAOKOCartoons wrote:
I know what it's supposed to say, but I can't help but read this as:
"New Breel guy is a mode!"
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

where my mind immediately went.

Breel: "Ugh... Kidneys! I've got new kidneys. I don't like the color..."
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

It is REALLY hard to get kidneys in a color to match your spats.
jonas

Post by jonas »

Argent wrote:https://twitter.com/RicksWriting/status ... 7528592385

Oh, and speaking of Rick's twitter... here's Breel in Transcontinental Railroad style: https://twitter.com/RicksWriting/status ... 2677497857

You are now imagining Breel relating tales of his uncanny, Jules Verne-esque adventures in a light Southern drawl. The sort of soothing, gentlemanly voice that makes the other mustelids in the room fan themselves a little faster.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

IronLucario2012 wrote:
CHAOKOCartoons wrote:
Still gets the key point across :lol:
ImageImageImageImage
jonas

Post by jonas »

IronLucario2012 wrote:
CHAOKOCartoons wrote:
New Breel guy is à la mode. In case you prefer your martens with ice cream. Coming soon: Breel drizzled with caramel!
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Champion Wallace wrote:Image
D-Rock wrote:Title Text: "you may be saying to yourself 'but don't they have modern conveniences in heaven?' and the answer to that is yes and no, since heaven is experienced subjectively he is not even necessarily aware of the existence of cell phones despite having one. from his perspective he could have been using an old timey telegraph. the other answer is shut up and roll with it."
Heaven doesn't reflect the current time on earth, it reflected how Keene sees the Earth, which happened to be the current time for us. Breel needs to learn about all the new technology that has been invented as well as relearning how to be alive.
I doubt it.
If Breel was only using some type of "telegraph", it wouldn't have a backround. XD
Come to think of it, shouldn't creepy backrounds be banned in Heaven? Hmmm.
leinglo wrote:
Saturn381 wrote:And of course there's remembering how to use the bathroom, eating, sleeping, drinking, and many other things.
Being alive again is basically gonna turn Breel into Manuel Samuel.
Hahaha
Funny, I was just thinking about that video game in regards to the little imp that just escaped hell. With it saying "let's make a deal that we can seal." to every passerby he finds.
IceKitsune wrote:Well, that was nice a quick! Man, it's weird to try and think about how such a thing would feel. Getting used to having to breathe and have a heartbeat again. It's not something I've seen tackled in fiction that often if at all.
I do remember the story of a great magician, so good at performing, that he was once able to stop the beating of his own heart!
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

CHAOKOCartoons wrote:
Is there any possibility of actually making that a thing?
Famout

Post by Famout »

It's the little things that make me love this comic, one line of text and my confusion is gone, I can now resume dwelling on the Beel and Keene show.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

so is ferals being gay a common thing, or was Breel an exception. or was he even gay before he died, or did he just get gayer in heaven?
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Silly Zealot wrote:
Champion Wallace wrote:
D-Rock wrote:Title Text: "you may be saying to yourself 'but don't they have modern conveniences in heaven?' and the answer to that is yes and no, since heaven is experienced subjectively he is not even necessarily aware of the existence of cell phones despite having one. from his perspective he could have been using an old timey telegraph. the other answer is shut up and roll with it."
Heaven doesn't reflect the current time on earth, it reflected how Keene sees the Earth, which happened to be the current time for us. Breel needs to learn about all the new technology that has been invented as well as relearning how to be alive.
I doubt it.
If Breel was only using some type of "telegraph", it wouldn't have a backround. XD
maybe they've got a whole wierd schitzo tech thing going on and nobody bats an eye at it because 'impossible' isn't a thing up there, so they don't really think about it. but it results in the average understanding of the mortal world being confused and all over the place?

like say, maybe that device is from a dead brand, that only exists in heaven because someone up there wished it hadn't died out, and Breel winds up not understanding Android or iOS because he's used to an IBM based system even though IBM got out of the OS market decades ago IRL.
Last edited by Buster on Sat May 12, 2018 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

I like the idea that "dead tech" goes to Heaven. Now that begs two questions.... First, shouldn't Heaven be far more advanced in technology than the mortal world? Second, is the Infernal world "techless"?
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

NHWestoN wrote:I like the idea that "dead tech" goes to Heaven.
not what i meant at all. more along the lines that heavens tech level is a disjointed hodgepodge because it consists of what people wish existed/still existed/had continued to develop.
for some that would mean still being stuck in the renaissance, for others, scifi tech, for fans of a defunct brand it might still exist, or maybe somebody's a steampunk fan. Or all of the above simultaneously.

see: Schizo Tech
Argent

Post by Argent »

NHWestoN wrote:I like the idea that "dead tech" goes to Heaven. Now that begs two questions.... First, shouldn't Heaven be far more advanced in technology than the mortal world? Second, is the Infernal world "techless"?
They're not actually phones, because it's heaven, it's just a style thing. Breel doesn't think any more of "phones" than he does of the times they used magic mirrors, crystal earrings, talking candlesticks, or little wooden dummies that changed into the person you were talking to. You know how these fads are, they'll go back to mystic symbols on parchment or snapping your fingers to summon a talking cloud any day now.

"Mu... Mufasa... dad..."

"Simba..."

"Dad, nobody does that talking cloud stuff any more! Get with the millennium!"
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Argent wrote:"Mu... Mufasa... dad..."

"Simba..."

"Which one? Humans are never referenced in our movie and our species predates theirs. there are a lot to choose from."
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Might not have been what you meant, Buster, but we're sure having fun with it...
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Buster wrote:
NHWestoN wrote:I like the idea that "dead tech" goes to Heaven.
not what i meant at all. more along the lines that heavens tech level is a disjointed hodgepodge because it consists of what people wish existed/still existed/had continued to develop.
for some that would mean still being stuck in the renaissance, for others, scifi tech, for fans of a defunct brand it might still exist, or maybe somebody's a steampunk fan. Or all of the above simultaneously.

see: Schizo Tech
We have evidence in the comic for something existing in heaven because people wished it had continued to develop. In Seek And Hide the TV advertises seasons one to ten of Firefly, despite it only having one amazing season on Earth.
NHWestoN wrote:Now that begs two questions.... First, shouldn't Heaven be far more advanced in technology than the mortal world? Second, is the Infernal world "techless"?
1. In some ways, yes, heaven is more advanced like the Firefly example. However, there are several factors working against that. first, there is a stream of newly dead people bringing in new technology; why bother inventing something if the mortals are going to do it for you anyway. Second, It takes longer for anything to get done in heaven (I'm not talking about sci-fi/fantasy time dilation, but how time flies when your having fun and you're not limited by physical needs); a dat trip to a waterpark could easily turn into a few weeks spent not inventing. Lastly, not everyone wants more advanced technology; people often resist change. If you grew up with hand written letters but don't understand email, in heaven you could continue using letters and not be excluded from society at all.
2. The infernal world is not "techless". They have skyscrapers and highways and welding equipment. I think the deal there is the mortals' souls have less control over their 'lives' so the only technology that can be brought down is stuff the devils approve of. Most technology is meant to make your life easier and more enjoyable, which happens to be the opposite of what the devils want of their souls.
The cape comes with the promotion.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

jonas wrote:
Argent wrote:https://twitter.com/RicksWriting/status ... 7528592385

Oh, and speaking of Rick's twitter... here's Breel in Transcontinental Railroad style: https://twitter.com/RicksWriting/status ... 2677497857

You are now imagining Breel relating tales of his uncanny, Jules Verne-esque adventures in a light Southern drawl. The sort of soothing, gentlemanly voice that makes the other mustelids in the room fan themselves a little faster.
Breel - owner of a manufacturer's company. how you doin, my ferret?
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

I like the depiction, too, but this is the fourth time it's been posted. ..... 'course ...............................it is a classy piece!
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Champion Wallace wrote:We have evidence in the comic for something existing in heaven because people wished it had continued to develop. In Seek And Hide the TV advertises seasons one to ten of Firefly, despite it only having one amazing season on Earth.
1. In some ways, yes, heaven is more advanced like the Firefly example. However, there are several factors working against that. first, there is a stream of newly dead people bringing in new technology; why bother inventing something if the mortals are going to do it for you anyway. Second, It takes longer for anything to get done in heaven (I'm not talking about sci-fi/fantasy time dilation, but how time flies when your having fun and you're not limited by physical needs); a dat trip to a waterpark could easily turn into a few weeks spent not inventing. Lastly, not everyone wants more advanced technology; people often resist change. If you grew up with hand written letters but don't understand email, in heaven you could continue using letters and not be excluded from society at all.
2. The infernal world is not "techless". They have skyscrapers and highways and welding equipment. I think the deal there is the mortals' souls have less control over their 'lives' so the only technology that can be brought down is stuff the devils approve of. Most technology is meant to make your life easier and more enjoyable, which happens to be the opposite of what the devils want of their souls.
Yes, I think all this sums it up pretty well.
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

they also seem to have specialty channels that haven't diluted their content with inclusions from other genres.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Buster wrote:
Argent wrote:"Mu... Mufasa... dad..."

"Simba..."

"Which one? Humans are never referenced in our movie and our species predates theirs. there are a lot to choose from."
"The one in which this is a movie, dad. You even listening to the words that come outta your cloudy mouth?"

Now imagining a Lion King / Sword in the Stone crossover with a wise old honey-badger who's living backwards in time.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Is the honey-badger the one from Zootopia?
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Gbr23 wrote:Remember to blink.

Yes, you have to blink quite constantly.
Blinking is a reflex action, though. Honestly, you'd be surprised just how many things your body does automatically for you.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Actually, Nobody, nothing my body does automatically surprises me anymore.... Sorta like having C erg pop in on you at the darnedest times in the dadblaggedest places....
Argent

Post by Argent »

NHWestoN wrote:Is the honey-badger the one from Zootopia?
He might have been back in the future but that won't have happened yet.
Leomon2004

Post by Leomon2004 »

Loved Breel's :shock: "WHAT IS THAT?!" face in the last panel. Also Keene&Breel are one of the few instances where two people LITERALLY make a cute couple. :lol: :lol: :lol:
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

would love to see Keene as a J.P. Morgan plutocratic type.